PDA

View Full Version : Huge Home Runs which have been largely forgotten

GiambiJuice
12-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I was the watching the MLB Network special on game 7 of the 1960 World Series last night. It was really cool.

Anyway, they showed Hal Smith's 3-run homer in the 8th inning to give the Pirates the lead. You will never see a bigger home run in a bigger spot. Of course it is only remembered by a handful of people because the Yankees scored 2 runs in the top of the 9th to tie it and Mazeroski delivered his epic blast a half inning later.

What are some of the other great "unsung" home runs in postseason history?

Captain Cold Nose
12-16-2010, 09:25 AM
I was the watching the MLB Network special on game 7 of the 1960 World Series last night. It was really cool.

Anyway, they showed Hal Smith's 3-run homer in the 8th inning to give the Pirates the lead. You will never see a bigger home run in a bigger spot. Of course it is only remembered by a handful of people because the Yankees scored 2 runs in the top of the 9th to tie it and Mazeroski delivered his epic blast a half inning later.

Bernie Carbo's game 6 blast in the 1975 World Series.

Railsplitter
12-16-2010, 09:50 AM

It was great to see Smith get a standing ovation 50 years later, and he said was that he was happy to contribute in a World Series and that's all he wanted to do.

Bothrops Atrox
12-16-2010, 10:20 AM

A couple of Cardinal homeruns that come to mind: the 1995 Jack Clark HR vs. the Dodgers which was overshadowed by the "Go Crazy Folks" Ozzie HR the previous game, and the 2004 NLCS Game 6 extra-inning clincher for Edmonds which was overshadowed by the Red Sox comeback.

Most overated Cardinal's homerun? Albert in the 2005 NLCS vs. Lidge. Who cares, they lost the next game. Another overblown homerun (at least on how many times I have seen it on MLB network countdowns) is the Ordonez 2006 walkoff. Detroit was virtualy guaranteed a WS trip anyway.

lollar
12-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Whitey Kurowski's blast in the ninth inning of game five of the 1942 WS. Tony Fernandez blast that sent the Indians to the 1997 Series. I don't think Carbo's homer has been forgotten.

Captain Cold Nose
12-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Whitey Kurowski's blast in the ninth inning of game five of the 1942 WS. Tony Fernandez blast that sent the Indians to the 1997 Series. I don't think Carbo's homer has been forgotten.

It's been well-obscurred by the Fisk HR, to be sure. But, yeah, maybe not as much as others that have been mentioned thus far.

At least the Ordonez blast won an actual game. The Kirk "He ain't going to pitch to you" Gibson home run in game 5 of the 1984 World Series off Goose Gossage would be nothing more than the second homer of the day for him if it weren't for the back and forth between Gibson and Sparky Anderson.

Bothrops Atrox
12-16-2010, 11:24 AM
It's been well-obscurred by the Fisk HR, to be sure. But, yeah, maybe not as much as others that have been mentioned thus far.

At least the Ordonez blast won an actual game. The Kirk "He ain't going to pitch to you" Gibson home run in game 5 of the 1984 World Series off Goose Gossage would be nothing more than the second homer of the day for him if it weren't for the back and forth between Gibson and Sparky Anderson.

But I never hear anybody talk about the 1984 Gibson HR.

Captain Cold Nose
12-16-2010, 11:36 AM

I've seen that highlight dozens of times over the years, and not just by Detroit media.

I do have both a pen and keychain with the Ordonez call. :innocent:

carlton72
12-16-2010, 12:09 PM
A couple of Cardinal homeruns that come to mind: the 1995 Jack Clark HR vs. the Dodgers which was overshadowed by the "Go Crazy Folks" Ozzie HR the previous game, and the 2004 NLCS Game 6 extra-inning clincher for Edmonds which was overshadowed by the Red Sox comeback.

That was 1985, STLCards2, '85! :disbelief:

Bothrops Atrox
12-16-2010, 12:34 PM
That was 1985, STLCards2, '85! :disbelief:

Typo - not bad memory. The closest the 1995 Cardinals came to the playoffs was when there was a chance for replacement players.

Bothrops Atrox
12-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I've seen that highlight dozens of times over the years, and not just by Detroit media.

I do have both a pen and keychain with the Ordonez call. :innocent:

Hmmm. I vaugely recall seeing the HR at all. I knew it happend, since that was one of the reasons Gibson had such a "big game" reputation even before "the" homerun vs. Eck, but I can't visualize it at all.

9RoyHobbsRF
12-16-2010, 01:19 PM
I am fairly sure I have both those NLCS games on tape

Hmmm. I vaugely recall seeing the HR at all. I knew it happend, since that was one of the reasons Gibson had such a "big game" reputation even before "the" homerun vs. Eck, but I can't visualize it at all.

Captain Cold Nose
12-16-2010, 01:26 PM

The Detroit papers still sell the poster of Gibson rounding the bases, arms extended triumphantly.

Reds5
12-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Johnny Bench's home run in the bottom of the 9th inning in game 5 of the 72 NLCS.

StanTheMan
12-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Ken Boyer's Grand Slam in Yankee Stadium during the Cards 1964 WS win over the Yanks. Scott Rolen's Game 7 NLCS homer late in the game off Roger Clemens in 2004.

So Taguchi and Yadi Molina at Shea in a pennant win over the Mets in 2006... Both overshadowed by the footage of Beltran's knees buckling as he watched Wainwrights magnificent curve dart past for strike 3.

Honus Wagner Rules
12-16-2010, 03:39 PM
No one ever talks about Chris Chambliss' walk-off HR to win the 1976 AL pennant for the Yankees.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=2685726

Los Bravos
12-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Hmmm. I vaugely recall seeing the HR at all. I knew it happend, since that was one of the reasons Gibson had such a "big game" reputation even before "the" homerun vs. Eck, but I can't visualize it at all.I, on the other hand, love it even more than the '88 one. It wasn't as telling or important but it was the killing blow to the most loathsome team to ever take the field in the major leagues (in my wholly subjective opinion), so it makes me happy when I see it.

Johnny Bench's home run in the bottom of the 9th inning in game 5 of the 72 NLCS.That's a great example. The one that Brett hit in G5 of the '76 ALCS is another. Like Smith's shot in '60, it's overshadowed by a subsequent one, Chris' pennant winner (which almost cost him his life.)

ian2813
12-16-2010, 04:09 PM
I, on the other hand, love it even more than the '88 one. It wasn't as telling or important but it was the killing blow to the most loathsome team to ever take the field in the major leagues (in my wholly subjective opinion), so it makes me happy when I see it.

I've never seen anyone with that level of hatred for the 1984 San Diego Padres. Was it due to that brawl against the Braves in August?

As for forgotten home runs, how about Mel Ott's tenth-inning game-winner in Game 5 of the 1933 World Series? That was the clinching victory for the Giants.

Captain Cold Nose
12-16-2010, 04:18 PM
I, on the other hand, love it even more than the '88 one. It wasn't as telling or important but it was the killing blow to the most loathsome team to ever take the field in the major leagues (in my wholly subjective opinion), so it makes me happy when I see it.

Steve Garvey or John Birch?

ol' aches and pains
12-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Eddie Mathews' 10th inning walk-off home run in Game 4 in 1957.

I also hated the 1984 Padres, both Steve Garvey and Eric Show (John Birch?). But mainly because they beat the Cubs in the playoffs. True, I'm a White Sox fan, but I didn't hate the Cubs like I was supposed to.

nerfan
12-16-2010, 04:55 PM

I also hated the 1984 Padres, both Steve Garvey and Eric Show (John Birch?). But mainly because they beat the Cubs in the playoffs. True, I'm a White Sox fan, but I didn't hate the Cubs like I was supposed to.

Eric Show may have been among my least favorite players of the last 20 years.

EdTarbusz
12-16-2010, 04:59 PM

Eric Show was definitely John Birch, so was Dave Dravecky on that team. I was stationed in San Diego in that period and they were tiresome to listen to.

BigRon
12-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Jackie Robinson's 14th inning home run against the Phillies in the last game of the 1951 season. The Giants had already won against the Braves- the Dodgers had to win or the Giants would win the pennant outright. Robinson hit a 2 out homer off Robin Roberts and sent the Dodgers into the (in)famous playoff against the Giants.

SHOELESSJOE3
12-16-2010, 07:01 PM

He may be called forgotten, but I don't think he got the words or the press even at the time, not fitting what part he played. Of course as you say, the way Maz went out, put Hal in the background.

Los Bravos
12-17-2010, 02:04 AM
Steve Garvey or John Birch?The latter.

The epic multichapter fight with the Braves in Atlanta that year figures largely, too. I know Gwynn and Garvey were okay guys but that team was chock full of Evil.

ian2813
12-17-2010, 03:22 AM
All you Padre haters might be interested in this article about Eric Show (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5543839) that ESPN published on the 25th anniversary of Pete Rose's record-breaking hit. It addresses the whole John Birch Society issue:

He was always searching for something meaningful outside of baseball, and during spring training of 1984, he happened to enter a John Birch Society bookstore in Arizona. He began to read the material, and the anti-communist mantra hit home for him. Eric had always half-joked, "Ronald Reagan's too far to the left for me," and now he'd found a group that seconded the notion. The group believed in less government, more responsibility by the people, and Eric immersed himself in its writings. He informed Dravecky and Thurmond about it, put a "U.S. Out of the U.N." bumper sticker on his car. The three of them joined -- unaware that some critics had stigmatized the group as anti-Semitic and anti-black.

It sounds like these guys you call "evil" may not have been as extreme as you think.

Gee Walker
12-17-2010, 06:05 AM
Tommy Henrich's walkoff homerun in the bottom of the ninth that won game 1 of the 1949 World Series over Don Newcombe and the Dodgers, 1-0.

ol' aches and pains
12-17-2010, 07:06 AM
All you Padre haters might be interested in this article about Eric Show (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5543839) that ESPN published on the 25th anniversary of Pete Rose's record-breaking hit. It addresses the whole John Birch Society issue:

It sounds like these guys you call "evil" may not have been as extreme as you think.

Well I didn't call them evil, but I would call them incredibly ignorant and gullible.

Bothrops Atrox
12-17-2010, 07:13 AM
No one ever talks about Chris Chambliss' walk-off HR to win the 1976 AL pennant for the Yankees.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=2685726

I wouldn't say "no one", but I was thinking about this one too.

Los Bravos
12-17-2010, 04:39 PM
It sounds like these guys you call "evil" may not have been as extreme as you think. I read it at the time. It's a well written article, but I could NOT care less. I wish Sutcliffe and/or Andre had gotten their hands on Show's scrawny neck.

It's not just those three morons and their dilettante Falangism. Ed Whitson was barking mad. Champ Summers was a cheap bully. Bevacqua was a dimwitted jerk. Nettles was (as ever during his career), a complete ass. Dick Williams was a spiteful old crank.

I despise the roid-swollen '93 Phillies and the rotten bunch of yahoos that made up the '86 Mets but they each come up short compared to the '84 Padres.

Ursa Major
12-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Eric Show may have been among my least favorite players of the last 20 years.More than John Rocker?? I think Dravecky's a good guy, but I can see that his ultra-religious leanings might have put some people off.

Anyway, back to forgotten home runs. I can't help but think of Shawon Dunston's home run for the Giants in the 6th game of the 2002 World Series. It would have been the gamewinner (and Series winner) if Felix Rodriguez hadn't blown it. Dunston has always has been a topnotch, class guy, and I remember thinking at the time what a great way it would be for him to go out. But it was not to be.

Fast forward to 2010. Shawon is now a special, on-field assistant for the Giants and in the dugout during the World Series. Looks pretty happy here, eh?
http://s95294420.onlinehome.us/userfiles/DunstonHuff.jpg

[P.S.: He's the guy on the left.]

EdTarbusz
12-17-2010, 10:29 PM
I read it at the time. It's a well written article, but I could NOT care less. I wish Sutcliffe and/or Andre had gotten their hands on Show's scrawny neck.

It's not just those three morons and their dilettante Falangism. Ed Whitson was barking mad. Champ Summers was a cheap bully. Bevacqua was a dimwitted jerk. Nettles was (as ever during his career), a complete ass. Dick Williams was a spiteful old crank.

I despise the roid-swollen '93 Phillies and the rotten bunch of yahoos that made up the '86 Mets but they each come up short compared to the '84 Padres.

I was stationed in San Diego in the mid 80s and saw a lot of the Padres around 1984 and 1985. Take the players you mentioned above and throw in players like Garry Templeton, Alan Wiggins and Carmelo Martinez and you had a team that was really hard to like, especially for a San Diego outsider.

Honus Wagner Rules
12-17-2010, 11:15 PM
More than John Rocker?? I think Dravecky's a good guy, but I can see that his ultra-religious leanings might have put some people off.

Anyway, back to forgotten home runs. I can't help but think of Shawon Dunston's home run for the Giants in the 6th game of the 2002 World Series. It would have been the gamewinner (and Series winner) if Felix Rodriguez hadn't blown it. Dunston has always has been a topnotch, class guy, and I remember thinking at the time what a great way it would be for him to go out. But it was not to be.

Fast forward to 2010. Shawon is now a special, on-field assistant for the Giants and in the dugout during the World Series. Looks pretty happy here, eh?
http://s95294420.onlinehome.us/userfiles/DunstonHuff.jpg

[P.S.: He's the guy on the left.]
Ugh! Why does Felix Rodriguez get blamed for losing game 6?

Victory Faust
12-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow. I'm blown away.

Over the last 20 years, baseball has been full of wife-beaters, statuatory rapists, drunken drivers, perjurers, steroid cheaters -- one player even set people on fire after trying to kill them with a machete', for cripe's sake -- and the most hated are guys like Rocker, Draveky and Show, because they have opinions you don't agree with?

John Rocker makes some stupid comments about foreigners not speaking English, and he's vilified like John Wilkes Boothe.

His manager, Bobby Cox, beats the snot out of his wife . . . and he's given a warm sendoff as he makes his final tour around each National League ballpark.

Rocker was punished by MLB for voicing his stupid opinions. MLB did nothing to Cox for beating the crap out of his wife.

Strange logic. Personally, I'd put guys like Ugeth Urbina, or Cox, or Roger Clemens, or Wil Cordero on my list of most hated. But that's just me.

Victory Faust
12-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Back to forgotten postseason home runs, I'd say the granddaddy of 'em all was in Game 3 of the 1932 World Series. The Yankee first baseman hit two home runs that day.

But I read in a baseball history book where their right-fielder also hit one. :)

RuthMayBond
12-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Back to forgotten postseason home runs, I'd say the granddaddy of 'em all was in Game 3 of the 1932 World Series. The Yankee first baseman hit two home runs that day.

But I read in a baseball history book where their right-fielder also hit one. :)

Good "call"

Victory Faust
12-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Good "call"

Hey....I took a "shot" at it! :)

Francoeurstein
12-18-2010, 10:15 AM
2005 Braves @ Astros NLDS, Chris Burke's 18th inning home run. That one is rarely talked about, as much as I disliked that moment.

Los Bravos
12-18-2010, 08:58 PM
And that one doesn't happen unless Ausmus hits Farnsworth(less)'s meatball in the 9th.

SteveJRogers
12-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Reggie Jackson's game clinching homer in the 1978 Yankee-Red Sox Play In Game.

Kirk Gibson's game winner in Game 4 of the 1988 NLCS gets overshadowed due to the significance of Mike Scioscia tying the game in the 9th against Gooden.

I don't think much attention tends to get paid to Reggie Jackson's final AB in Game 5 of the 1977 World Series, the attention usually is the 3 in one game, but he had a run of 4 consecutive HRs in 4 consecutive ABs.

SteveJRogers
12-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Wow. I'm blown away.

Over the last 20 years, baseball has been full of wife-beaters, statuatory rapists, drunken drivers, perjurers, steroid cheaters -- one player even set people on fire after trying to kill them with a machete', for cripe's sake -- and the most hated are guys like Rocker, Draveky and Show, because they have opinions you don't agree with?

John Rocker makes some stupid comments about foreigners not speaking English, and he's vilified like John Wilkes Boothe.

His manager, Bobby Cox, beats the snot out of his wife . . . and he's given a warm sendoff as he makes his final tour around each National League ballpark.

Rocker was punished by MLB for voicing his stupid opinions. MLB did nothing to Cox for beating the crap out of his wife.

Strange logic. Personally, I'd put guys like Ugeth Urbina, or Cox, or Roger Clemens, or Wil Cordero on my list of most hated. But that's just me.

Way the world works I suppose, people just get too worked up over differences of opinions, especially political, social and religious nature of the opinions.

Second Base Coach
12-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Rick Monday's home run helped sink the Expos in the 1981 Playoffs. You don't hear much about that one anymore.

SHOELESSJOE3
12-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Many good ones here but I still think Hal Smith gets little notice considering the importance of that homer, 3 run homer late in the game. What it meant, late innings, 7th game 1960 World Series.
Obvious reason why, Maz ends the game, it was Hal that made it possible.

Victory Faust
12-23-2010, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't say Babe Ruth's 3 home runs in the 1926 World Series have exactly been forgotten, but they certainly are overshadowed by Grover Cleveland Alexander's strikeout of Lazerri.

paulamarty601
12-26-2010, 01:15 PM
How about Dick Sisler in the 1950 final game of the season against Brooklyn, putting the Phillies in the World Series? That game was a barnburner including some big plays (Richie Ashburn throwing out Cal Abrams at the plate). The homer and the game were overshawdowed by another Dodgers' loss in the final game the next season ...

nerfan
12-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Wow. I'm blown away.

Eric Show was just a plain old jerk. He's ONE of my least favorite players. My least favorite players are probably Wil Cordero, Brett Myers, John Rocker, Show, Pete Rose, AJ Pierzynski, Frankie Rodriguez, David Wells, maybe Carl Everett.

Allie Fox
01-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Reggie Jackson's game clinching homer in the 1978 Yankee-Red Sox Play In Game.

Speaking of Jackson. What about the final pitch he saw in Game five of the '77 Series? Everyone thinks of the three homeruns on three pitches in Game six. Four pitches. Four homeruns.

EdTarbusz
01-05-2011, 08:13 AM
I just watched game 6 of the 1986 World Series. I'd say that Dave Henderson's HR in the top of the 10th has been forgotten.

WillieMaysHayes
01-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Bernie Carbo's game 6 blast in the 1975 World Series.

That's the first one that came to my mind.
I watched that game and it really was huge.
The pitch before the HR was one of the worst swings I never saw and I remember Garigiola saying it looked like he was raking the leaves, then BOOM!
Great moment that seems to have been forgotten.

WillieMaysHayes
01-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Guy definitly had a flair for the dramatic.
Gibson was just one of those guys who had a presence and oodles of charisma.
A fun player.

Paul Wendt
01-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Many good ones here but I still think Hal Smith gets little notice considering the importance of that homer, 3 run homer late in the game. What it meant, late innings, 7th game 1960 World Series.
Obvious reason why, Maz ends the game, it was Hal that made it possible.

Bernie Carbo and Carlton Fisk made a whatchamacallit?
Deja Vu all over again.

Paul Wendt
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
In game six 2002, Scott Spiezio hit a 3-run home run off Felix Rodriguez in the seventh. He is entirely forgotten.
In the eighth, Darren Erstad hit a solo shot off Tim Worrell and Troy Glaus hit a deep 2-run double off Robb Nen.
Jointly they made a comeback from 0-5 to 6-5, the final score, and the Angels completed the Series comeback next day, but did it ever happen?

Compare Jim Leyritz or Bernie Carbo.

Maybe it's West Coast bias.

SHOELESSJOE3
01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
In game six 2002, Scott Spiezio hit a 3-run home run off Felix Rodriguez in the seventh. He is entirely forgotten.
Ih the eighth, Darren Erstad hit a solo shot off Tim Worrell and Troy Glaus hit a deep 2-run double off Robb Nen.
Jointly they made a comeback from 0-5 to 6-5, the final score, and the Angels completed the Series comeback next day, but did it ever happen?
Compare Jim Leyritz or Bernie Carbo.
Maybe it's West Coast bias.

Got your point Paul, that was my take on Hal Smith 1960 WS, very little mention over the years, the importance of some of these home runs that made it possible for a teammate to "put the frosting on the cake."
Just human nature, easier to remember the player that finished the job.

RuthMayBond
01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Maybe it's West Coast bias.It never hurt Koufax or Kirk Gibson. Now MIDDLE of the country bias, NOW yer talkin

BSmile
01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Chet Laabs - 1944 St. Louis Browns
Funny this topic should come up. I've been reading "They Also Served: Baseball And The Homefront, 1941-1945" by Bill Gilbert (1992). Pretty good book. It brings up a home run (or pair of them) that I wasn't even aware of. The 1944 St. Louis Browns won the pennant on the last day vs. the Yankees largely because of two, 2-run HR's by Chet Laabs. The Browns won 5-2.

icee82
01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Johnny Bench's home run in the bottom of the 9th inning in game 5 of the 72 NLCS.

Yes...I agree on this. There is another home run by Bench in Game 3 of the 1976 NLCS in the bottom of the ninth as well.

steelcurtain76
01-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Chris Chambliss's home run to end the 1976 Championship Series against the Royals.

WillieMaysHayes
01-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Chris Chambliss's home run to end the 1976 Championship Series against the Royals.

That HR does seem to get lost amongst all the big moments in Yankee history.
I think in part because of the numerous heroics by Yankees since then as well as the fact that Chambliss is such a low key guy who seems to have been forgotten when talking about the Reggie/Thurman/Billy era Yankees.
Another thing about that game was the 3 run HR that preceded it by George Brett in the 8th inning which tied the score thus setting up Chambliss's big moment.

Mongoose
01-10-2011, 06:34 PM
What was funny about Dave Henderson’s 10th inning Game 6 home run against the Mets in the 1986 World Series was it was pretty much a carbon copy of his 11th inning Game 5 home run that turned that year's ALCS. around. He’d been the hero in getting the Red Sox to the WS and if the Mets hadn’t come back he’d be a legend in Boston.

That post season was full of strange coincidences and ironies. Gene Mauch’s curse, the California Angels’ curse, the Boston Red Sox’s curse were all brutally confirmed. I think the heroes and goats in that Series are probably better remembered than those in any other. Henderson, though, seems forgotten.

WillieMaysHayes
01-12-2011, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=Mongoose;1836202]What was funny about Dave Henderson’s 10th inning Game 6 home run against the Mets in the 1986 World Series was it was pretty much a carbon copy of his 11th inning Game 5 home run that turned that year's ALCS. around. He’d been the hero in getting the Red Sox to the WS and if the Mets hadn’t come back he’d be a legend in Boston.

The guy had one of the best HR trots.
He was a fun player.

chinese home run
01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
I can think of FOUR hit on the same day that were largely forgotten- the four home runs that Lou Gehrig hit against the Philadelphia Athletics in 1932. Gehrig became the first "modern day" player to hit four home runs in a game.

Of course, that was the day John McGraw retired as the manager of the Giants after thirty years.