PDA

View Full Version : Which side of the rubber?

trevrchrds
04-10-2011, 07:57 PM
The other day I was watching a MLB game on tv and the announcers started talking about the side of a rubber a pitcher stands on. This got me thinking about which side I stand on. I am a right handed pitcher standing at about 6'3". I pitch from the left side of the rubber (the side closer to the first base side) is this correct? Would it give me a better advantage if I stood on the right side? If so, why?

Thanks

scorekeeper
04-11-2011, 08:06 AM
The other day I was watching a MLB game on tv and the announcers started talking about the side of a rubber a pitcher stands on. This got me thinking about which side I stand on. I am a right handed pitcher standing at about 6'3". I pitch from the left side of the rubber (the side closer to the first base side) is this correct? Would it give me a better advantage if I stood on the right side? If so, why?

To begin with, you’ve just gotta learn to watch a TV game with the sound off! Remember, those guys get paid to entertain, not to fill the air with their great wisdom about the game.

As for which side of the rubber you throw from, use your head. What could possibly change by moving from one side of the rubber to the other? The only things changing would be the perspective the batter would see the ball coming from, and a very slight difference in the distance you’d have to throw the ball.

Consider the batter’s perspective and your pitching “style”. If you believe moving would help you, try it in a game and see. You’ll learn little or nothing moving in bullpens, because you’ll never know if the different perspective of the batters has helped or hurt them.

songtitle
04-11-2011, 08:13 AM
To begin with, you’ve just gotta learn to watch a TV game with the sound off! Remember, those guys get paid to entertain, not to fill the air with their great wisdom about the game.

Have you been listening to Bobby Valentine? He corrected a guy yesterday that was blabbing on about hitters with different swings for 2 strike pitches. BV said MLB players have one swing, period.

Jake Patterson
04-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I did an exercise with my pitching staff once where we took lines and actually marked the approach angle of the ball from both sides of the rubber with different types of batters at the plate. We then marked the effective sight plane of each batter scenario... The players where able to answer their own question.

One side is not better than the other. It depends on the batter, his set up, and the pitch you throw.

songtitle
04-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Looked at some of my pitching clips. Most follow the RH on right, LH on left, except:
LH on right - Zito and Chapman
RH on left - Chan Ho Park, Oswalt, Hudson, Lincecum

scorekeeper
04-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I did an exercise with my pitching staff once where we took lines and actually marked the approach angle of the ball from both sides of the rubber with different types of batters at the plate. We then marked the effective sight plane of each batter scenario... The players where able to answer their own question.

One side is not better than the other. It depends on the batter, his set up, and the pitch you throw.

Precisely!

When my boy started taking lessons, the PC put a chair in front of the mound, had me sit in it, then proceeded to give us his thoughts on the issue. He took a string with a nail on the end of it, pushed the nail into the ground behind and dead center of the rubber, and pulled it to the point of the plate, then laid it on the ground. Then he put a 7’ long, half-inch piece of PVC about 6” to the right and parallel to it. He then explained that the reason he did that was to try to develop the feeling of stepping directly at the target.

After that, he drew a line in the dirt parallel to the rubber, about 6’ in front of it, and explained that the reason was, he wanted a line drawn from toe to toe at finish, to be parallel to that line, the rationale being that the head, shoulders, and hips will generally follow the feet in pointing to a direction.

Everything was centered around getting a few fundamentals set. After he finished with his explanations, out came more string lines and nails, pulled from the left and right sides of the rubber, accompanied of course by other lines drawn into the dirt to show the differences.

Then we got the lecture. He explained that he didn’t really care which side of the rubber a pitcher threw from, but until the student showed he was consistent from dead center, he didn’t want him messing around anywhere else. It really had nothing to do with effectiveness, but rather with trying to get the pitcher to develop repeatable mechanics.

songtitle
04-11-2011, 11:38 AM
He explained that he didn’t really care which side of the rubber a pitcher threw from, but until the student showed he was consistent from dead center, he didn’t want him messing around anywhere else. It really had nothing to do with effectiveness, but rather with trying to get the pitcher to develop repeatable mechanics.

I am missing the logic here. Basically, he was changing everyone's mechanics by having them throw from the center.

scorekeeper
04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I am missing the logic here. Basically, he was changing everyone's mechanics by having them throw from the center.

Not all. You'd be surprised at how many pitchers just naturally throw from the center when they start. Usually, they don't move from there unless someone first plants that seed. He was trying to give them a starting point to work from so they could see what they were doing, and at the same time eliminating as many factors as possible from having an effect on what was happening. Remember, this was done as one of the 1st things the PC and the students did together. Also, if anyone wanted to throw from a different spot in his other practices or games, that was his business.

But due to this guy’s reputation, almost everyone who was paying him just accepted that the whole thing was a very long process, and went with it. After all, the reason he was getting paid, and it wasn’t cheap, was to get the benefit of his knowledge, and help protect a kid’s arm. Besides, the worst that could happen, was for the pitcher to become more accurate.

Dirtberry
04-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Which side of the rubber?

Depends on what type of pitches you throw and the sequences you deliver.

If you have a mediocre understanding of movement because you have been taught the traditional straight fastball, Curve and change up you are at the mercy of glove side batters and spray batters because you do not have equated movement to both sides, this is why in general these pitchers deliver from the ball arm side of the pitchers plate to cut off as much vision angle as possible to handle ball arm side pull batters that most are.

We deliver 6 pitches, 3 that move to the glove side of home plate (pronated movement to the glove side of home plate fastball (torque), p.Slider and p.Curve) that are thrown generally from the ball side of the pitchers plate and 3 that move to the ball side of the home plate (pronated movement to the ball side fastball (maxline), p. Sinker and p.Screwball) that are thrown from the glove arm side of the pitchers plate.

I have written it this way so that it means the same thing to lefties and righties.

I say in general because when we throw a cutter (torque fastball) to glove side batters we move over to the glove side of the pitchers mound and only throw it inside to cut off his vision by angle and pitch it to the black having it move one ball in towards their knees. Since our curve is 12/6 we move to the glove side of the pitchers plate also with these batters. Now add in the fact that we stride radically to the glove side of the field driveline gives us even more angle to distract.

These changes in angle by sides and 2 way movement give us a great advantage. Most of my kids love this situation where they can throw cutter in to glove side batters then follow it by staying on that side of the pitchers plate with a screwball, what fun having a game to dominate both sides by constantly changing sides of the pitchers plate depending on the situation with the 4 types of batters (spray or pull).

azmatsfan
04-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Am I the only smart @ss that wanted to answer the question by saying, "the home plate side"?

Coach C
04-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Am I the only smart @ss that wanted to answer the question by saying, "the home plate side"?

Nope, that was my first thought after reading the original post.