PDA

View Full Version : I wouldnt want to be Sandy Alderson right now.

Paulypal
06-29-2011, 07:23 AM
The Mets are making it tough on the GM. Its going to be very hard to start trading off some pieces considering that they are playing this well.

He is in a no win situation. If he tries to fill in the gaps to compete for the WC, and doesnt he just spun his wheels and chased his tail as previous regimes have done. Leaving his team with nothing to show for some Free Agents walking away.

If he sells off some pieces then he will be crucified for quitting on a team that was playing well. Meanwhile the biggest piece they want to move is playing well enough to trade (Beltran). Its a tough spot, and a tough call.

Strawman
06-29-2011, 07:55 AM
The Mets are making it tough on the GM. Its going to be very hard to start trading off some pieces considering that they are playing this well.

He is in a no win situation. If he tries to fill in the gaps to compete for the WC, and doesnt he just spun his wheels and chased his tail as previous regimes have done. Leaving his team with nothing to show for some Free Agents walking away.

If he sells off some pieces then he will be crucified for quitting on a team that was playing well. Meanwhile the biggest piece they want to move is playing well enough to trade (Beltran). Its a tough spot, and a tough call.

Are you kidding? He's in a fantastic position, compared to the start of the season. He's got a potential winner on his hands, with a chance to improve the squad at the deadline and Wright coming back (I don't believe in Santana and despair at Ike). Attendance is actually going up. Revenues are increasing. If he can improve the pen and grab a starter, he can try and continue what would be a fantastic turn-around for a first-year GM.

Paulypal
06-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Are you kidding? He's in a fantastic position, compared to the start of the season. He's got a potential winner on his hands, with a chance to improve the squad at the deadline and Wright coming back (I don't believe in Santana and despair at Ike). Attendance is actually going up. Revenues are increasing. If he can improve the pen and grab a starter, he can try and continue what would be a fantastic turn-around for a first-year GM.

Well as I stated in another thread...is Wright an improvement or just a memory of someone that use to be a good player?

Not all the Mets are sold either. This was published today:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/carlos_would_ok_trade_to_contender_AwbWuWeMMXucskQ uQh0MrN?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

milladrive
06-29-2011, 09:55 AM
I once put the Post at the bottom of my cat's litterbox. He refused to do his business in it; he just looked up at me and said it'd be redundant.

Paulypal
06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
I once put the Post at the bottom of my cat's litterbox. He refused to do his business in it; he just looked up at me and said it'd be redundant.

So are you saying whats in quotes was never said?

LostMet
06-29-2011, 12:41 PM
They can make a decision on Beltran in August given his salary. If they are in it for real and not just flirting with .500, then they might just ride it out to the end. More cash for the team and heaven forbid they make the playoffs that's even more cash...rather than a prospect. They wont get a blue chipper for him so the ROI might be better if they keep him and play "meaningful games" in September. ( I still hate that phrase). We are still way to early to tell. Last year the Mets were doing respectably well and then the wheels came off the wagon..so we will see what it looks like around the end of July.

milladrive
06-29-2011, 02:11 PM
So are you saying whats in quotes was never said?

lol.. no, I'm saying what's printed in the Post may just be something to be taken with a grain of salt. I don't even trust that what they print in quotes is verbatim.

robardin
06-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Well as I stated in another thread...is Wright an improvement or just a memory of someone that use to be a good player?

Not all the Mets are sold either. This was published today:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/carlos_would_ok_trade_to_contender_AwbWuWeMMXucskQ uQh0MrN?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

That's an article about how Beltran is realistic/ok with being traded mid-season. Nothing about Wright or how anybody (players, management, scouts or the typical Post "anonymous source") feels Wright is "just a memory of someone who used to be a good player".

For me, I wouldn't trade Wright now - he's at a low value point (unless you truly feel he's done). He was pretty decent in 2010 productionwise, and we find out now that for much of 2011 he'd been playing with a broken back. See how he looks in late August/Sept. (give him a few weeks of slack in July/early Aug to work off the rust) and think about it next year.

It's not like the Mets have a replacement ready for him. Dan Murphy is most comfortable at 3B, true, but come on... Wright's upside is far greater. Murphy may hit closer to .300 but I don't see him as ever driving in 100 runs. I like Murph but the way he's playing now is (IMHO) just about his ceiling - a decent .750 OPS, good glove, good batting eye and good for average, some occasional pop, but likely good for about 70 RBI at most. Wright has driven in 100+ RBI in EVERY full season he's played in but one - his dismal 2009 season, when he still put up more RBI per PA than Murphy did (who got 556 at-bats to Wright's 618).

The Mets' best bet by far is to stand pat and hope he bounces back. He's only 28. Giving up on him now would be tantamount to finding a taker for Reyes after 2010... Just imagine if Tejada had hit more like he's doing now and someone figured he was ready to take over at SS, and then watching Reyes bounce back like a demon at age 28 for someone else.