PDA

View Full Version : Teammates on the Most Franchises

Nerdlinger
11-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Which two players were teammates on the greatest number of MLB franchises? You can look your guesses up if you like. In case this is too hard, I'll give hints as we go.

PS: If the question is confusing, here's an example. Jeff Kent and Jose Vizcaino both played on the Indians, Astros, Mets, and Giants in the same seasons. So that's four franchises for that pair of players. But there is a pair with more.

ian2813
11-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Excellent question! I wish I knew the answer. I could imagine something like this happening during the syndicate ownership era.

Nerdlinger
11-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Excellent question! I wish I knew the answer. I could imagine something like this happening during the syndicate ownership era.

Here are a couple hints that might help: both players finished their careers before the live-ball era, and neither are Hall of Famers.

ian2813
11-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Anymore hints?

Herr28
11-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Here are a couple hints that might help: both players finished their careers before the live-ball era, and neither are Hall of Famers.

Are they reasonably well known? I mean a couple guys with some star seasons maybe? Or are these just a couple journeymen jokers?

Nerdlinger
11-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Anymore hints?

Are they reasonably well known? I mean a couple guys with some star seasons maybe? Or are these just a couple journeymen jokers?

I think they're reasonably well known, long careers, some here consider them Hall-worthy, one's a pitcher while the other is not. Need more hints?

Herr28
11-19-2013, 03:13 PM
I know Silver King played for a bunch of franchises, and he had a damn fine few years. I notice that a few of his old Browns teammates seem to appear on some of those same teams in the various leagues (AA, NL, PL). Am I on the right track, era wise at least?

Nerdlinger
11-19-2013, 03:23 PM
I know Silver King played for a bunch of franchises, and he had a damn fine few years. I notice that a few of his old Browns teammates seem to appear on some of those same teams in the various leagues (AA, NL, PL). Am I on the right track, era wise at least?

Good guess. King's not one of them, but you are about in the right era.

Herr28
11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Good guess. King's not one of them, but you are about in the right era.

I figured so. Lot of league and team swapping back then. I thought perhaps one of the poor sufferers of crazy ol' Chris von der Ahe might have been 1 or both of them. That guy could get rid of players like nobody's business!

Nerdlinger
11-19-2013, 06:58 PM
I figured so. Lot of league and team swapping back then. I thought perhaps one of the poor sufferers of crazy ol' Chris von der Ahe might have been 1 or both of them. That guy could get rid of players like nobody's business!

They both played on St. Louis, but only one of them spent time on the team while Von der Ahe was owner. Any more guesses?

Herr28
11-19-2013, 07:33 PM
They both played on St. Louis, but only one of them spent time on the team while Von der Ahe was owner. Any more guesses?

Just a second now. Because I think the saloon keeper lost the team after 1898, and the Robison's got it for 1899, or 1898 and they changed the color scheme from brown to red in '98 getting the name "Perfectos" and then "Cardinals" the following year. That brings in a bunch of other guys from Cleveland as well. Cy Young played for a few teams in all his years I think, and was there after von der Ahe, obviously.

Jack Glasscock played for the von der Ahe Browns in the 1890s, and he played for a ton of teams so he may be one of them. I'll toss out Jack Glasscock as one of them and maybe if he is right someone will know some guys he played with on other teams.

Nerdlinger
11-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Just a second now. Because I think the saloon keeper lost the team after 1898, and the Robison's got it for 1899, or 1898 and they changed the color scheme from brown to red in '98 getting the name "Perfectos" and then "Cardinals" the following year. That brings in a bunch of other guys from Cleveland as well. Cy Young played for a few teams in all his years I think, and was there after von der Ahe, obviously.

Jack Glasscock played for the von der Ahe Browns in the 1890s, and he played for a ton of teams so he may be one of them. I'll toss out Jack Glasscock as one of them and maybe if he is right someone will know some guys he played with on other teams.

You're right that von der Ahe lost the team after 1898. Glasscock is another good guess, but not correct.