PDA

View Full Version : Sicks' Stadium / Sick's Stadium

POLO GROUNDS 1957
05-20-2005, 06:45 AM
Hello all.does anyone out there remmber going to sicks stadium to see the pilots in 1969 or to see baseball period at the old ballpark.lets hear from you. also checkout this site for some photos of old sicks stadium

looking foward to hear from you all out there. Donald :clapping

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theoldballpark

POLO GROUNDS 1957
09-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Here is a nice early photo of sicks stadium

POLO GROUNDS 1957
09-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Here is a photo of the sicks stadium stands.

skeletor
09-20-2005, 03:33 AM
yup, caught a couple of games there in the summer of 1969, to see
the Pilots play the Tigers...on the way to the California..to get some
hippie love...heh,heh,heh..( I was 22 )

jeez o'petes, sicks was probably one of the worst 'major'league stadiums
of all time..sheer torture to see a game there..heck, it was just an old
AA 0r AAA park, that was quickly and badly 'upgraded' to the majors,
to house the new Pilots..until a future stadium was built..Always liked
the Pilots..they had some real misfits on that team, like Jim Bouton,
Gary Bell, Ray Oyler, etc...the seats in the park-were ratty old rusty
seats, place stunk of grime, and the water pressure around the park,
was almost zero..not a nice place..i can only imagine the state of the
clubhouses....sheeeesh :eek:

POLO GROUNDS 1957
09-20-2005, 04:47 PM
yup, caught a couple of games there in the summer of 1969, to see
the Pilots play the Tigers...on the way to the California..to get some
hippie love...heh,heh,heh..( I was 22 )

jeez o'petes, sicks was probably one of the worst 'major'league stadiums
of all time..sheer torture to see a game there..heck, it was just an old
AA 0r AAA park, that was quickly and badly 'upgraded' to the majors,
to house the new Pilots..until a future stadium was built..Always liked
the Pilots..they had some real misfits on that team, like Jim Bouton,
Gary Bell, Ray Oyler, etc...the seats in the park-were ratty old rusty
seats, place stunk of grime, and the water pressure around the park,
was almost zero..not a nice place..i can only imagine the state of the
clubhouses....sheeeesh :eek:
I also have heard alot of negative things about sicks stadium including the water pressure problems.i cant understand that the stadium was not ready for opening day of 1969. it was not like that they did not have any notice of seattle not getting a team. the place looks nice in photos and at the time of 1969 the stadium was around 30 years old. i am sure that sicks stadium could have been fixed up reel nice,look at seals stadium in san francisco i have heard alot of good things about the stadium.sicks stadium was finally torn down in febuary of 1979.

Ressurection of Ray Oyler
09-21-2005, 10:41 AM
My father had wonderful memories of Sicks and the Rainiers. In the 40's and 50's it was a beautiful minor league park. Seattle wanted major league ball but was in fact behind the 8 ball in their preparation for it. In 69 the stadium was a mess and the franchise was probably failing before they set foot on spring training ground in Arizona.
After the '69 the stadium started to flounder into obscurity. I think they played some class A games in their and then I think they had some high school games in their also. Then it sat there abandoned like a ghost for a few years it seems before it was torn down. My great grandmother lived in the neighborhood and so I passed it many times on my way to visit her. It still had the Pilots neon sign hanging over its entrance until the day of its death. I always wanted to sneak into the old place but I never did. I wish I had. The last I heard there was an Eagle Hardware store on the lot and that somewhere inside the store was a plaque commemorating where homeplate had once been and that where tightwad hill had been was now just parking lot.

skeletor
09-21-2005, 03:26 PM
My father had wonderful memories of Sicks and the Rainiers. In the 40's and 50's it was a beautiful minor league park. Seattle wanted major league ball but was in fact behind the 8 ball in their preparation for it. In 69 the stadium was a mess and the franchise was probably failing before they set foot on spring training ground in Arizona.
After the '69 the stadium started to flounder into obscurity. I think they played some class A games in their and then I think they had some high school games in their also. Then it sat there abandoned like a ghost for a few years it seems before it was torn down. My great grandmother lived in the neighborhood and so I passed it many times on my way to visit her. It still had the Pilots neon sign hanging over its entrance until the day of its death. I always wanted to sneak into the old place but I never did. I wish I had. The last I heard there was an Eagle Hardware store on the lot and that somewhere inside the store was a plaque commemorating where homeplate had once been and that where tightwad hill had been was now just parking lot.

What a shame, to see a once grand park fade away and die...The photos
that Polo placed on this thread, are wonderful..in her heyday, SICKS ,musta
been a great place to take in a ballgame..The inside looked pretty grand..as
that whole northwest area, had some great PCL teams in the 40's and 50's..

by the time MLB expanded into Seattle, by 1968, for play in 1969, the park
had fallen into a sad shape..and from what i can remember from my couple
of games there in 1969, to see the Tigers, it was a virtual dump..and probably
not much upkeep was given to SICKS, before-and during the PILOTS debut
season..I've heard stories of teams, showering and dressing at the local
hotel, as the clubhouses were a mess..along with rusty water, very low
water pressure and other problems...I always had the feeling that the guys
who owned the SEATTLE franchise, had no real money, and were vastly
under funded..and hence, the shoddy condition of the park, and no money
for the team...no surprise that after one season, the Pilots were killed, and
the team quickly moved-during spring training..to become the BREWERS.

sad that Sicks never had the chance,to shine as the once jewel that it was.
:rolleyes:

09-30-2005, 11:47 AM
I always have wondered if the Sorianos plan was to just buy the team and try and hold it for a year and then try to sell to someone who would keep the team here. They apparently had no idea what a mess the whole thing was and that they must have thought baseball would boom right out of the gate in Seattle. The Rainiers had been so popular that they must have thought that the Pilots would automatically succeed.

The stadium at the time of 1969 was in a state of disrepair sure, but that couldn't be the reason the franchise failed so miserably. I think Sicks is more a metaphor of the dissasembled mess that the organization was. Being just a young kid it was a heartbreaker for myself to see them go. Long live the Pilots (in my memories atleast)!

Thank you Polo Grounds for those pictures. I have seen pictures of Sicks in the 40's and 50's and it looks like it was just a beautiful park for the times. It's dissapointing to me the lack of sentimentality that the city of Seattle has towards Sicks Stadium. No, it wasn't the Polo grounds or Ebbetts for that matter but I seem to remember they couldn't wait to tear it down. That's life. But to me it will always be that green field in my mind.

Tailwind Tommy
10-14-2005, 04:03 AM

Couldn't the city of Seattle upgrade or renovate Sick's Stadium instead of demolishing it?

Tailwind Tommy
10-14-2005, 04:23 AM

Wouldn't we have rather continued to enjoy scenes like this? As Jimmy Dudley, voice of the Pilots, use to say: "Something beautiful to see"

10-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Dig that name Tailwind Tommy! I thought I was the only person left who remembered that. Good to know there are others out there.

The city of Seattle would love for people to forget that the Pilots ever existed (when I say city of Seatte I mean city government). For the last 35 years there has never been any acknowledgement of the Pilots. They've continually turned their backs at honoring the team. Would anyone love to see a Seattle Pilots old-timers game at Safeco? I would! It will never happen though. How 'bout a turn back the clock game? Doubt it will ever happen. They honored the Seattle Steelheads an old northwest negroe league team (great honor I must add) but never have they mentioned honoring the Pilots.

Poor Sicks Stadium its' only mistake was that it housed the 1969 Seattle Pilots. That's why they were in such a hurry to tear it down.

skeletor
10-25-2005, 11:34 AM

Couldn't the city of Seattle upgrade or renovate Sick's Stadium instead of demolishing it?

looks like it was a clear case of being penny wise and pound foolish..

the city of Seattle, had no interest in saving this oce grand lady..
some great baseball over the years, was played there...and with
the demise of the Pilots, before the start of spring training 1970,
was the nail in the coffin, that doomed sicks..a sad commentary
:rolleyes:

Tailwind Tommy
10-27-2005, 04:46 AM

Hey Resurrection... Here's one for your Pilots' book! A J.D. McCarthy photo taken at Tiger Stadium. Ray Oyler - Died in 1981. PILOTS BESTS: Most double plays by a shortstop (4), most double plays started by a shortstop
(3); most putouts by a shortstop (5); most assists by a shortstop (8).
"Sock It To Me"

10-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Yes, yes. Dick Mcauliffe (doubt I spelled it right) said he was the best defensive shortstop he ever played with. He had to be considering he had one of the most anemic bats ever seen in the majors. I remember well when he died and cut his obit out of the paper and probably still have it somewhere. You're a good man Tailwind!! Thanks!

ElCaminoSS
11-11-2005, 11:48 PM
they had some real misfits on that team, like Jim Bouton,
Gary Bell, Ray Oyler,
They werent really misfits just ahead of their times. But lets not forget Steve Hovley. And yes the stadium is a parking lot and theres a statue where homeplate used to be and and a plaque that says something like, If you were standing here in 1969 you would be in perfect position to knock one out. Jim bouton said he visited it and the statue had the batter standing sideways in the box and it would be easy from that position to hit one out because it would be 100 feet foul. Theres also a faking pitching rubber for where the mound was, unfortunately its right next to a cash register

skeletor
11-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Yes, yes. Dick Mcauliffe (doubt I spelled it right) said he was the best defensive shortstop he ever played with. He had to be considering he had one of the most anemic bats ever seen in the majors. I remember well when he died and cut his obit out of the paper and probably still have it somewhere. You're a good man Tailwind!! Thanks!

remember his nickname..'oil can' as he always looked like his was doing
grungy oil changes..no doubt, a wizard with the glove..with the bat,
mister zero..even to reach .200, was an major effort..I think one season
he batted under .150...god, was he horrible..with the stick..only Eddie
Brinkman, even came close to being so crappy with the lumber, and
even Brinkman, learn to hit..batting over .260 plus..a few times in
his career..and like Oyler, Brinkman could filed and eat up ground balls
like nobody's biz.....:rolleyes:

Oyler after leaving Detroit, was a cult fave in Seattle...after he retired,
I believe he like Seattle soo much, ended up living there and working inna
warehouse..until he died in the early 1980's...:eek:

11-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks for that interesting bit of info El Camino. Bouton may be the most sentimental person about the Pilots out there.

Oil Can. Such a fitting name for a guy who looked like he'd be right at home working at Grease Monkey rather than playing major league ball. He worked at Boeing for awhile I believe.

They had a lot of characters on the team. Let's not forget the ever affable Freddy Talbot, king of the rednecks. I wonder if he's ever forgiven Bouton for making such a buffoon out of him in Ball Four?

ElCaminoSS
11-14-2005, 03:37 PM
I heard when fred talbot is contacted and asked about ball four he says how Bouton broke the rules of the club house and angrily refuses any further comment

skeletor
11-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for that interesting bit of info El Camino. Bouton may be the most sentimental person about the Pilots out there.

Oil Can. Such a fitting name for a guy who looked like he'd be right at home working at Grease Monkey rather than playing major league ball. He worked at Boeing for awhile I believe.

They had a lot of characters on the team. Let's not forget the ever affable Freddy Talbot, king of the rednecks. I wonder if he's ever forgiven Bouton for making such a buffoon out of him in Ball Four?

and don't forget Don Mincher, and the team's resident hipster and hippie,
Steve Holvey ..aka tennis ball..a great flake..and ended up doing a tour
with the brewers..as they were mutanting from the pilots..

good to see there's still great interest in the Pilots threads..over 155 posts!
and some darn gooooooood ones,at that ! and in the words of Joe Schutz
the first mgr...'pound that Budweiser'

ElCaminoSS
11-14-2005, 10:40 PM
I think someone (me) mentioned Hovley in post 15

11-16-2005, 11:20 AM
The last I heard about Hovely he was a carpenter in California and I think he said he's still in touch with Bouton. Mincher's a big man in Huntsville, Alabama where he had a real successful sporting goods store and was also the interim president of the Southern Association. I think that they named a street after him too. Mincher was always one of my favorite players when I was a kid.
Joe Schultz was the king of bad grammar and probably not the best manager the game has ever seen but dammit the Pilots were his destiny. His key to immortality. I think Joe's life centered around baseball, budweiser beer and two words, shi*f*ck and f*cksh*t (in no particular order I think). He was a good man though.

Aa3rt
11-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Mincher's a big man in Huntsville, Alabama where he had a real successful sporting goods store and was also the interim president of the Southern Association. I think that they named a street after him too. Mincher was always one of my favorite players when I was a kid.

Don Mincher was one of my favorites as well, having played for both the original and expansion Senators.

Actually, Don Mincher has been the president of the Southern League for 5 years now. Check this link:

http://www.southernleague.com/leagueoffice/mincher.shtml

Don looks a little different than I remember from his playing days.

ElCaminoSS
11-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Hovley was a janitor at his daughters school for a while, then became a plumber, as of the 1990's. Hes a real smart guy, Im pretty sure he went to stanford or something.

11-19-2005, 05:59 PM
I heard when fred talbot is contacted and asked about ball four he says how Bouton broke the rules of the club house and angrily refuses any further comment

Ball Four was and is such a great baseball book. The Talbot stories are some of the funniest in the book. One thing that Bouton forgot to do though was incriminate himself with a lot of the locker room and extra curricular activities. He broke the rules but nobody was really hurt that badly. I suppose if anyone has a right to not forgive Bouton it was Talbot but wow its been 36 years now. By todays standards the book is pretty tame. It was great locker room humor.

POLO GROUNDS 1957
12-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Here is a postcard of sicks stadium put out by tinker

POLO GROUNDS 1957
12-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Here is a program from 1969 sicks stadium seattle pilots

Goosenoggle Slipgear
12-14-2005, 01:58 PM
My father used to tell me about going to games at Sicks Stadium in the forties and fifties. About sitting in the stands on a hot summer's day with Mt. Rainier looking like a giant ice cream cone. How when walking up to the stadium you could hear the radio broadcasts and the voice of Leo Lassen coming from the porches of the homes on Rainier avenue. Sent me to bed with stories of "Kewpie" Dick Barrett. Sure wish my dad was still around I'd love to hear those stories just one more time.

Goosenoggle Slipgear
12-14-2005, 04:45 PM

When I saw the baseball fever page had a section on the Pilots I had to sign up. I'm a Pilots fanatic! Never could get over them leaving. When I was in high school I started a garage band with some of my friends the name of our group was "The Dead Seattle Pilots". We had some great songs like "Hey Ray Oyler yer Bat's Too Small" and then there was an ode to Joe Schultz and another favorite American pasttime called "Pound that Bud or Bud that Pound" and how could I forget the fabulous "I went to see a ballgame at Sicks Stadium but all I got was a bad case of Diego Segui." We had a lot of fun did "The Dead Seattle Pilots." Unfortunately the other three "Dead Seattle Pilots" did just that all dying before they were 40.

POLO GROUNDS 1957
12-14-2005, 05:12 PM
When I saw the baseball fever page had a section on the Pilots I had to sign up. I'm a Pilots fanatic! Never could get over them leaving. When I was in high school I started a garage band with some of my friends the name of our group was "The Dead Seattle Pilots". We had some great songs like "Hey Ray Oyler yer Bat's Too Small" and then there was an ode to Joe Schultz and another favorite American pasttime called "Pound that Bud or Bud that Pound" and how could I forget the fabulous "I went to see a ballgame at Sicks Stadium but all I got was a bad case of Diego Segui." We had a lot of fun did "The Dead Seattle Pilots." Unfortunately the other three "Dead Seattle Pilots" did just that all dying before they were 40.Just wanted to say hello and welcome to baseball fever and the seattle pilots forum. i am sure that you will enjoy yourself here. :waving

Goosenoggle Slipgear
12-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Just wanted to say hello and welcome to baseball fever and the seattle pilots forum. i am sure that you will enjoy yourself here. :waving

Thanks much Polo Grounds 1957!

12-21-2005, 05:14 PM
When I saw the baseball fever page had a section on the Pilots I had to sign up. I'm a Pilots fanatic! Never could get over them leaving. When I was in high school I started a garage band with some of my friends the name of our group was "The Dead Seattle Pilots". We had some great songs like "Hey Ray Oyler yer Bat's Too Small" and then there was an ode to Joe Schultz and another favorite American pasttime called "Pound that Bud or Bud that Pound" and how could I forget the fabulous "I went to see a ballgame at Sicks Stadium but all I got was a bad case of Diego Segui." We had a lot of fun did "The Dead Seattle Pilots." Unfortunately the other three "Dead Seattle Pilots" did just that all dying before they were 40.

So how about the lyrics for "Ray Oyler yer Bats too Small" ? How did the other "Dead Seattle Pilots" die?

Ashburn1
01-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Here's a unique picture. An artist's conception of what the expanded, renovated Sick's Stadium was to look like:

http://www.brandx.net/pilots/stadium.jpg

POLO GROUNDS 1957
01-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Here's a unique picture. An artist's conception of what the expanded, renovated Sick's Stadium was to look like:

http://www.brandx.net/pilots/stadium.jpg
Nice photo of a renovated sicks stadium, i wonder how many seats would have been added.

donzblock
01-07-2006, 02:50 AM
The fact that Mt. Rainier was in the background raises the question of whether the Pilots had a contingency plan for a volcanic eruption.

stan opdyke
01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I saw a mention of Leo Lassen in this thread. I remember when J. Michael Kenyon had a nightly radio show on KVI, 7-11 Sports, he played some clips of Leo broadcasting a Seattle Raniers game. Does anyone know if those clips (or better still a complete game broadcast) are available?

By the way, this is my first post on this site. Unfortunately, I never made it to Sicks Stadium, though there was a single A team playing there when I was in the area stationed at Ft Lewis, WA. Wish I could go back in time and make up for that oversight. :radio

Stan Opdyke
Tacoma, WA

Goosenoggle Slipgear
01-14-2006, 11:25 PM
I saw a mention of Leo Lassen in this thread. I remember when J. Michael Kenyon had a nightly radio show on KVI, 7-11 Sports, he played some clips of Leo broadcasting a Seattle Raniers game. Does anyone know if those clips (or better still a complete game broadcast) are available?

By the way, this is my first post on this site. Unfortunately, I never made it to Sicks Stadium, though there was a single A team playing there when I was in the area stationed at Ft Lewis, WA. Wish I could go back in time and make up for that oversight. :radio

Stan Opdyke
Tacoma, WA

I know that at one time there had been some recordings of Leo Lassen doing Rainier games that were on l.p's. Wayne Cody (don't know if you remember the old "mound of sound") had a large collection of them. Other than that I don't know where you could find any. One thought is the Washington State Sports Convention which is a large gathering of baseball card and memorabilia collectors that they have annually at Seattle Center. I'd love to get my hands on one myself.

Mariner Fan
01-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys, the Pilots and Sicks were before my time but it's great to see the pictures. Another reason to hate Bud Selig. Not that I need much reason. :rolleyes:

stan opdyke
01-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the info about Leo Lassen. I did not know that the Raniers issued records from his broadcasts. For sure, I would like to find one of them at a reasonable price. By the way, I do remember Wayne Cody from his KIRO radio and TV days. If I recall correctly, he broadcast Sonics games on TV too.

DamageG
03-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Saw one game at age 7. Won't forget Tommy Harper stealing at least one base.

Rennie Stennett
03-19-2006, 09:16 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/3477/rainier4.htm

http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=1501

http://www.historylink.org/cybertour/index.cfm?file_id=7044&frame=14

http://www.rainiervalleyhistory.org/exhibits.html

http://www.washingtonsportshalloffame.com/media.htm

Sicks Stadium @ 2700 Rainier Avenue South:

Rainier Avenue South (along Right Field Foul Line) and South McClellan Street {Right Field Wall and Right Center} (2800 Block) And Left and Left Center, Martin Luther King Way South, formerly Empire Way South> The Site now is a Lowe's Hardware. There is a sign on the corner marking the Stadium and a replica home plate by the Lowe's exit.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/Doomtown7/elvis.jpg

Elvis played at Sick's Stadium, September 1st, 1957, which was attended by Jimi Hendrix, who later played there.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/Doomtown7/aln026.jpg

Rennie Stennett
03-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Joe Martial, Long time grounds keeper at Sicks Stadium

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/Doomtown7/Martial20Sicks20Groundkeeper201939a.jpg

Rennie Stennett
03-23-2006, 02:07 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/Doomtown7/sicks3.jpg

tigger 48
01-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I would rather go to a game in a grand old stadium like sick's than any of the generic ball parks that exist today.

Tailwind Tommy
02-12-2007, 09:39 PM
A neat slide show to the tune of 'Go, Go, You Pilots' is at the following web site:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sicks%27+seattle+stadium

Aa3rt
02-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks for sharing that link! I enjoyed the photos (although some of the photos of Sicks Stadium in disrepair were sad) and also got a big kick out of the reference to the Senators in the song.

Brad MCdonald
02-13-2007, 08:33 PM
In 1978 (ironically my family was going to the Kingdome to see the Mariners play Rod Carew and the Twins on a beautiful sunny day) my dad took the wrong exit and we ended up driving past Sicks Stadium.I remember how tall the grass was in the outfield.Question, the bleachers down the first and third baselines ..how were they built? Concrete , metal or wood bleachers.

Skookumchuck Chuck
02-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Boy, that's a song I haven't been able to get out of my head for the last 37 going on 38 years now. I think it was written by Rod Belcher. I remember that old Pilots' sign that used to sit out front of the stadium years after the Pilots left. Wonder what ever happened to it? I'd sure love to get ahold of it.

Tailwind Tommy
02-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Headline News: Sicks’ Seattle Stadium Salvaged!

Growden Memorial Park in Fairbanks Alaska, home of the Goldpanners, include box seats and grandstand benching from Sick's Stadium, Seattle, home of the old Seattle Rainiers minor league team and the 1969 Seattle Pilots major league team.

Pacific Raceways (used to be called Seattle International Raceway installed new, modern aluminum bleachers that hold 11,500 reserved seats which replaced temporary grandstands that, in turn were needed when bleachers from Sicks’ Stadium finally wore out (don’t have any idea how they were disposed of).

Nat Bailey Stadium in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, home of the Canadians, includes the original scoreboard and lights from Sicks'.

After the demolition of Sicks’ Stadium in February 1979, the CX Corporation moved to the site. Subsequently Eagle Hardware opened in this Rainier Avenue location, and today Lowe’s Hardware operates there.

The City of Seattle maintains a Cumulative Reserve Fund (CRF) for major maintenance needs; it cannot be used to fund operations. The CRF was begun with the proceeds from the sale of Sicks’.

Back in Pullman Washington, Chuck Brayton orchestrated the building of Bailey Field in the late ’70s. After problems at the old place (located where Mooberry track is now) with players hitting line drives into the “Lake de Puddle” center field, Bobo knew it was time to rebuild.
First, he raided the torn-down parts of Sick’s Seattle Stadium, including bleachers and foul poles, and sold them in a fundraiser-—but kept a few bits for the WSU field. “The first fence at Bailey field was from Sicks' Stadium,” he says.

By the way, I do believe those bleachers were wooden. I was wondering what happened to the bases and homeplate. If anyone else can contribute information on other Sicks' items still in existence and their whereabouts, that would be newsworthy.

Tailwind Tommy
02-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Bleacher seats located at Growden Park, Alaska (Link):

http://www.geocities.com/shoeless_60067/Panners.html

Sicks' Stadium Lights and Scoreboard located at Nat Bailey Stadium, Vancouver B.C. (Link):

http://natnotes.com/2007/05/22/the-nat-bailey-stadium-outfield-wall-upgrade-is-underway/

Skookumchuck Chuck
02-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Yes and what a wonderful picture it is. Thanks for that little history tour Tailwind. Excellent information!

Tailwind Tommy
03-13-2007, 06:08 PM
The Seattle Pilots only existing video (in two parts) can be viewed on youtube (Links):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c7tmAJ9gkKI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x6VscA1D3Ag&mode=related&search=

and...

"The First Voyage" can also be viewed on the Seattle Channel (Link):

http://www.seattlechannel.org/videos/video.asp?ID=4030722

SNAP
04-23-2007, 08:24 AM
I believe Hovley's nickname was Orbit.

Tailwind Tommy
07-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Here's a little update on Nat Bailey Stadium in Vancouver - now the home of the Oakland Athletics Class A farm team. Just think what Sicks' Seattle Stadium would've looked like if renovated like Nat Bailey. It's ashame to hear that the "historic scoreboard" was taken down. This is a piece of MAJOR LEAGUE history, salvaged from Sicks Stadium, the former home of the Seattle Pilots.

Nat Bailey Stadium’s hand-operated scoreboard will be gone before Vancouver Canadians’ June 19 season opener. A new ground level, hand-operated unit is being embedded in the fence as part of stadium-wide renovations.
The 12-foot by 45-foot scoreboard was born in Sick’s Seattle Stadium. It was used during Seattle Pilots’ only American League season in 1969. It moved to Nat Bailey in 1978. Canadians’ vice-president Delany Dunn hopes to sell it as a charity fundraiser. "It’s going to benefit Little League to some degree and we’re going to honour the heritage of that scoreboard," Dunn said.
Society of American Baseball Research member Dave Eskenazi of Seattle said the ideal home would be Safeco Field’s new museum. A Lowe’s home improvement store is on the site of Sick’s Seattle Stadium, which opened in 1938 but was demolished in 1979.

Well, at least Nat Bailey Stadium still has Sicks' lights.

Thus far it took a million to 1.5 million dollars for this upgrade so far. Just think what Sicks' would've looked like!

Here's a reference on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBc_Y0xHTR8

POLO GROUNDS 1957
07-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Here is a seating diagram of sicks stadium from 1969

POLO GROUNDS 1957
07-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Here are the voices of the 1969 Seattle Pilots and Sicks Stadium.

Tailwind Tommy
08-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Seattle Endures A 6.4 Magnitude Earthquake!

Sicks' Seattle Stadium shakes when six-foot, four-inch, 250-pound Boog Powell legs out an inside-the-park homer (his 33rd of the season) in the 9th inning against ex-teammate Steve Barber on August 16, 1969. The ball caromed off the center field wall and bounded away from the fielders. The sight of the 247-pound Powell careening around the bases is one to remember. The slow-footed Powell’s rare use of speed helps the Orioles to a 15-3 win over the Seattle Pilots.

Game Played on Saturday, August 16, 1969 (N) at Sicks’ Seattle Stadium
BAL A 0 0 2 3 0 5 2 1 2 - 15 15 0
SEA A 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 - 3 7 0

penncentralpete
11-22-2007, 09:27 AM
scorecard from 1969

Tim Brent
12-26-2007, 11:22 AM
i'd have prefered Sick's etc. stabnding..but what use are you going to have? They had the Kingdome at the time of demolition (1979)...

Zito75
12-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Where was Sicks at? I was born in the Seattle area, lived there for 29 years but never did see where it was... :confused:

Rennie Stennett
12-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Where was Sicks at? I was born in the Seattle area, lived there for 29 years but never did see where it was... :confused:

Basically, Sicks was located at South McClellan St and Rainier Avenue South with Martin Luther King Way South (formally Empire Way South) [SR 900] running parallel to Rainier Avenue on the back side. It's in the Rainier Valley area of Seattle. SE from Downtown Seattle.

Steven Tyler
01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Basically, Sicks was located at South McClellan St and Rainier Avenue South with Martin Luther King Way South (formally Empire Way South) [SR 900] running parallel to Rainier Avenue on the back side. It's in the Rainier Valley area of Seattle. SE from Downtown Seattle.

You know, right it where always was. Right next to a Starbucks.

Pitcher56
02-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Just an add-on to the experiences of Sicks Stadium. I had the good fortune of taking in two games, both against Oakland, in July and October. They were tremendous experiences before I learned what a terrible ballpark it was. It may have been terrible, but it was the greatest for a young boy. It was major league baseball. (I did see a Seattle Angels game there, too).

The first night I took my parents movie camera and shot a roll. Caught the Pilots only run, a Mincher homer. After the game, we waited outside and a couple players came out, and we got their autographs. They turned out to be Ron Plaza, the first base coach, and Jim Bouton. I always liked Bouton's baseball cards with the Yankees, so he became my favorite player. Little did I know about the book to follow. I wear #56 at fantasy camp in honor of him.

The second game we were seated right behind home plate. If I remember correctly, Goosen hit one out. Brabender started both games. The best part was we had read Zoilo Versalles book and that he called Sandy Valdespino "hubba hubba Sandy", so when we called him that as he came to the plate, he turned to us and gave us a funny look.

While I have memories, having the box scores off the Seattle Pilots site really helps jog the memories. And the memories are great. Sicks Stadium serves as my wallpaper for the computer, so the reminders are daily. What a wonderful time.

Finally, getting to watch (via MLB.com) the Ms wear the Pilots uniforms on turn back the clock day was great. I was thrilled when they actioned off those uniforms, got a couple to work out in. Sure beats the wool jerseys they wore in 1969, especially in the heat and humidity of the Midwest.

Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Tailwind Tommy
02-28-2008, 05:37 AM
Do you still have the pictures and film you took of the Pilots? Your ballpark experience is interesting. Do you recall any complaints about Sicks' Stadium when the Angels were playing there? Can you describe the atmosphere surrounding the stadium as you remember it? How was the entrance into the stadium like. What did the concession and souvenir stands look like. Were there team flags stationed around the stadium in order of the current standings (like we see at SAFECO today)? I've heard so much about the problems with the toilets and overall condition of Sicks' that it obscures the improvements made to prepare it for Major League play. I would much prefer to get an idea (visually) of what everything looked like as one sat down to watch the game.

Pitcher56
02-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Dear Tailwind,

wow, I wish I had the memory to answer all your questions. First, yes, I do still have the film. It is not great quality, but for a twelve year-old using the folk's camera for one of the first times, it isn't too bad.
Boy, the memories of first walking in are really faint. I seem to remember the dark cement walkways inside, but to be truthful, even that could be a stadium that I visited since then. I just remember the excitement I felt.
No recollection on the flags being up or placed according to the standings.
I didn't know of the complaints about the water pressure until reading Ball Four. I don't even think I used the restrooms. I was so taken just to be watching a major league game. And I was far too young to drink beer. My best-friend's parents took us; my family could not have afforded it. So concessions were out.
The same with the Angels experience. It was bat day then, and I received a Joe Koppe signature bat. I wish I still had it, but in the many moves of my parents, it disappeared. Do you remember his baseball card, I think the 64 set Topps, where he had his glove on the right hand?
Being a newcomer here, I haven't figured out how this site works. If you can find a way to email me privately, I would appreciate it. I just don't want to post my email for privacy issues.
I apologize for not being able to be more helpful to you.

Tailwind Tommy
02-29-2008, 04:34 AM
Pitcher56,

Nice Memories. I posted on the "Private Messages" my e-mail address. Just click on the quick links on the tool bar above, then on the miscellaneous private messages. Hope to hear from you soon!

Tailwind Tommy
02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Here are some present-day photos of the former Sicks' Seattle Stadium site...

bearman14
04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
sicks stadium about 1967

Milwaukee T
04-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I was looking for a photo of the back of any 1976 Brewers road uniform and came across this video quite by accident. Quite a good collection of images. I can't get the song out of my head though (which just happens to be an army marching melody as well for the army of India) . Go, go, you Pilots....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U01IKkKqjM&feature=related

six4three
05-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, what're you looking for with the 1976 road jersey?

Milwaukee T
05-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm doing an art project with my son and we are looking for a photo of the back of the 76 Brewer jersey to finish it up. I'm assuming the back was the same as a couple of years near it, but I wanted to make sure. I need name and number font as well as trim details.

He has the jersey drawn for the 1926 Tigers for his great-grandad's first game, the 1949 Oshkosh Giants for his grandfather, and 2007 Cleveland Indians for himself. He just needs the Brewers for his dad's first game.

six4three
05-09-2008, 08:24 PM
The 1976 Brewers' uniforms were no name on back, standard block number font, royal trimmed in gold. Should be the same from 1972-1977.

http://www.lelands.com/LotImages/45/popups/51105a.jpg

http://americanmemorabilia.com/pics/13072_01_lg.jpg

In the early days, the Brewers wore different number fonts on the front and back, but the back was (so far as I can ascertain) always the same block.

http://americanmemorabilia.com/pics/35872_01_lg.jpg

Sorry to derail this thread, so here's a nice pic of a Don Mincher batting helmet from the 1969 Pilots:

http://americanmemorabilia.com/pics/18197_01_lg.jpg

and a team-issued cap:

http://americanmemorabilia.com/pics/21218_01_lg.jpg

Ye gods, I miss that color scheme.

Milwaukee T
05-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Those were some great photos. The Pilots batting helmet is certainly one of the classics of all time. Nwo if you could lead me to road unis rather than the home; I would have exactly what I was looking for.

six4three
05-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Oh, road jersey. Why didn't you say so? :D

Here's a 1975 one, the standard 1976 road uniform should be the same:

Tailwind Tommy
06-16-2008, 08:49 PM
The Seattle Pilots' interim stadium, Sicks' Seattle Stadium would have turned 70. We'd have something to celebrate if it was still standing.

Chaseutley26
06-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Wow these are some great pictures. I've tried looking around for pictures of Sick's for a little while and I finally found some! :dance

Rennie Stennett
07-14-2008, 03:19 PM
sicks stadium about 1967

looking SEfrom home plate area. I've heard stories that beyond the centerfield wall up on the hill there used to be a hugh garden. At one time, there was a hugh Italian community in the area, who owned truck farms and they delivered produce to Seattle's Pike Place Market @ Pike St and Pike Pl.

I might be redundite here. Here are some cool links and bibliographies:

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/sickss.htm

http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=3218

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/SicksStadium.htm

http://www.brandx.net/pilots/sicks.html

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/stadiums/past/sicks_stadium.htm

http://washingtonlink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=1501

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/seattle/sicks.htm

http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/SicksStadium.html

http://www.digitalballparks.com/American/Sicks.html

http://www.scottymoore.net/seattle57.html

http://thewayifigure.blogspot.com/2007/09/miller-park-is-no-sicks-stadium.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U01IKkKqjM

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/imlsmohai&CISOPTR=1464&CISORESTMP=&CISOVIEWTMP=

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/pastsea/pilots.html

google pilots or sick stadium. there are pages and pages of cool links

Rennie Stennett
08-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Seattle Times

Now & Then

It's Outta The Park

by Paul Dorpat

a nice story and some cool pics:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw/2008079686_pacificpdorp03.html

Michael Green
08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Chuck Thompson, the great announcer for the Orioles, said that where the broadcasting booth was positioned at Sicks Stadium required using a mirror to see part of the field, so he had to remind himself that whoever he saw as left-handed was right-handed and vice versa (Thompson couldn't resist saying it struck him as kind of sick). Does anyone remember anything like that about Sicks Stadium?

Brad MCdonald
08-20-2008, 01:12 PM
That's interesting. From the pictures it looks like the two tiered press box would give you an excellent vantage point of the play.Although I never set foot in Sicks, I've been to its slightly smaller brother Nat Bailey Stadium(designed by the same architect) in Vancouver.I was in that press box a couple of times and it gives you a feeling of being right on top of home plate .

six4three
08-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah, the sightline looks like it would be pretty good to me as well.

ssarge
12-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Those pictures bring back some memories.

We lived in Spokane in 1969. I was about 13. My parents were baseball fanatics (we had season tickets for the Spokane Indians, which at that time was the AAA farm club of the Dodgers. Lasorda was the manager in '69.)

We drove to Seattle for the Pilots home opener, and I was in attendance for that April 11 game against the White Sox (as I recall, the Pilots won something like 6 or 7-0).

Twenty years later, I ran into Mike Hegan in a bar, and had a nice conversation recalling the game and that '69 season. Hegan made about $15K that year, and hit just a little under .300.

Great memories. Reading Ball Four brings back those memories as well.

Regards,

Scott

Capital City Goofball
03-02-2012, 09:18 AM
A pic before the Pilots moved in...

Lpeters199
03-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Sicks aerial:

fishermanjim
03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
The aerial photo shows stands down the left line but the more-recent photo with the 4 apartment buildings running between LF and CF show an open gap down the LF line. Were these stands torn down for some reason and then rebuilt because they appear in 1969 Sicks Stadium photos.

Lpeters199
03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
This site has some nice before and after those stands were torn down and rebuilt:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2011/06/12/seattle-history-the-stadium-site-thats-now-a-hardware-store/

More pictures here:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1023&bih=610&q=sicks+stadium+pictures&gbv=2&oq=%22sicks+sta&aq=2S&aqi=g1g-S2g-msS1&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=2229l4785l0l6524l10l10l0l0l0l0l85l704l10l10 l0&gs_l=img.1.2.0j0i24l2j0i5i10i24.2229l4785l0l6524l1 0l10l0l0l0l0l85l704l10l10l0.llsin.

Lpeters199
04-02-2012, 12:43 PM
http://www.thedeadballera.com/Stadiums/StadiumsSickStadium_photo.html

Sports Stadium Replicas
07-14-2012, 10:32 AM
I have been building a model of Sicks Seattle Stadium. Here are a few pictures. The model is about 90 percent complete. All I need to do now is build the Pilots sign (bat and ball) that was set on the Rainier Ave side of the building, add some grass/weeds and shrubbery, trim the edge of the plywood base, build a plexiglass cover, and create/install a few waterslide decals. No problem right? Of course, I will also have to figure out what to do with this monstrosity once it is complete. I want to build more stadiums, but simply do not have a lot of places to store or display things like this.

Okay, so I tried to upload some pictures, but received an error message that says the file are too large. I will have to so some investigating.

alpineinc
08-19-2012, 09:07 AM
I have been building a model of Sicks Seattle Stadium. Here are a few pictures. The model is about 90 percent complete. All I need to do now is build the Pilots sign (bat and ball) that was set on the Rainier Ave side of the building, add some grass/weeds and shrubbery, trim the edge of the plywood base, build a plexiglass cover, and create/install a few waterslide decals. No problem right? Of course, I will also have to figure out what to do with this monstrosity once it is complete. I want to build more stadiums, but simply do not have a lot of places to store or display things like this.

Okay, so I tried to upload some pictures, but received an error message that says the file are too large. I will have to so some investigating.

Upload your pics to a hosting site like Photobucket or Imgur, and link to them here. BBF would love to see your model!

alpineinc
08-19-2012, 09:13 AM

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/imlsmohai&CISOPTR=1464&DMSCALE=150.00000&DMWIDTH=1050&DMHEIGHT=878.15625&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%20baseball%20stadium&REC=1&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=%2Fimlsmohai&CISOPTR=1464&DMSCALE=100&DMWIDTH=700&DMHEIGHT=585.15625&DMMODE=viewer&DMFULL=1&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%2520baseball%2520stadium&DMTHUMB=0&REC=1&DMROTATE=0&x=364&y=250

alpineinc
08-19-2012, 09:32 AM
C. 1940, Rainiers game

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/seattle&CISOPTR=534&DMSCALE=200.00000&DMWIDTH=1604&DMHEIGHT=1290.359375&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%20baseball%20stadium&REC=8&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/seattle&CISOPTR=534&CISOBOX=1&REC=8

alpineinc
08-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Great shot of the outfield and beyond, 1946. Note the championship flag, from either '40,'41 or '42! And great ads.

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/imlsmohai&CISOPTR=3899&DMSCALE=200.00000&DMWIDTH=1400&DMHEIGHT=1166&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%20baseball%20stadium&REC=5&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

And forget beer, have a Squirt, Washington's own!

And don't forget to fill up with Signal Gasoline, who issued some great PCL baseball card sets in the late '40's, including the 1947 Seattle Rainiers:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGc1a7NLE9tl2lBkvTnu2pe8lNsVwq9 q7CRV4piQoX2D6YrkIg_w&t=1

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/imlsmohai&CISOPTR=3899&CISOBOX=1&REC=5

alpineinc
08-19-2012, 11:51 AM
More '40's

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/seattle&CISOPTR=1371&DMSCALE=150.00000&DMWIDTH=1203&DMHEIGHT=947.78385416667&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%20baseball%20stadium&REC=9&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

Check out the fans hanging up on the hill past left field.

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/seattle&CISOPTR=724&DMSCALE=150.00000&DMWIDTH=1203&DMHEIGHT=960.13802083333&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%20baseball%20stadium&REC=10&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

"Dick Gyselman playing for the Seattle Rainiers and running toward first base at Sick's Stadium, Seattle, 1941. Nicknamed "The Needle", Dick Gyselman is a Seattle baseball legend. He played third base for the Seattle Indians and Rainiers from 1935 to 1944 and in 1947. Gyselman was a key member of the Rainiers Pacific Coast League championship teams in 1939, 1940, and 1941."

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/imlsmohai&CISOPTR=2153&DMSCALE=150.00000&DMWIDTH=1050&DMHEIGHT=876.0625&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%20baseball%20stadium&REC=20&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/seattle&CISOPTR=724&CISOBOX=1&REC=10
http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/seattle&CISOPTR=1371&CISOBOX=1&REC=9
http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/imlsmohai&CISOPTR=2153&CISOBOX=1&REC=20

Sports Stadium Replicas
10-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Upload your pics to a hosting site like Photobucket or Imgur, and link to them here. BBF would love to see your model!

I apologize for not replying much sooner, but was not aware of the reply. I took your advice and signed up for Flickr. Now I will try to link my photos to Baseball Fever.

Sicks Stadium Model Photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89276014@N04/)

I hope the link works and I hope you enjoy the photos!

Phantom Dreamer
12-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Workers still working on Sick's Stadium benches. Some fans had to wait until the 3rd inning to be seated. Unbelievable. You wonder why the Pilots lasted just 1 season in Seattle? Well, stuff like that didn't help.

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/02/46/52/682675/3/628x471.jpg

Paul W
12-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Workers still working on Sick's Stadium benches. Some fans had to wait until the 3rd inning to be seated. Unbelievable. You wonder why the Pilots lasted just 1 season in Seattle? Well, stuff like that didn't help.

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/02/46/52/682675/3/628x471.jpg

EXACTLY, should never have started there in '69
weak, under funded owners left the door open for bud-dy boy to whisk 'em away...

DrBear
12-23-2012, 10:39 PM
So you're blaming Selig (who wasn't IN baseball at that point) for the fact that the AL was so desperate to get into the Northwest they made a bad choice of owners? OK, you hate Selig, but stick to the facts.

Paul W
12-26-2012, 05:49 PM
So you're blaming Selig (who wasn't IN baseball at that point) for the fact that the AL was so desperate to get into the Northwest they made a bad choice of owners? OK, you hate Selig, but stick to the facts.

the blame rests on joe cronin, bill eckert and bowie kuhn as well as the other a.l. owners.
they created the situation that allowed buy-dy to do what he did and got away with.

Paul W
04-08-2013, 10:43 PM
joe d., heath(?), earl averill, frank crosetti 4/69.
bet those folding chairs were real comfy on cold damp nights?

Paul W
04-08-2013, 10:45 PM
demolition in '79...

alpineinc
01-14-2014, 05:55 PM

Mt Rainier beyond the RF bleachers.

Fuzzy Bear
03-25-2014, 06:46 PM
I always have wondered if the Sorianos plan was to just buy the team and try and hold it for a year and then try to sell to someone who would keep the team here. They apparently had no idea what a mess the whole thing was and that they must have thought baseball would boom right out of the gate in Seattle. The Rainiers had been so popular that they must have thought that the Pilots would automatically succeed.

The stadium at the time of 1969 was in a state of disrepair sure, but that couldn't be the reason the franchise failed so miserably. I think Sicks is more a metaphor of the dissasembled mess that the organization was. Being just a young kid it was a heartbreaker for myself to see them go. Long live the Pilots (in my memories atleast)!

Thank you Polo Grounds for those pictures. I have seen pictures of Sicks in the 40's and 50's and it looks like it was just a beautiful park for the times. It's dissapointing to me the lack of sentimentality that the city of Seattle has towards Sicks Stadium. No, it wasn't the Polo grounds or Ebbetts for that matter but I seem to remember they couldn't wait to tear it down. That's life. But to me it will always be that green field in my mind.

AL expansion was originally set for 1971, which would have given more time for Sicks Stadium to be properly renovated. Politicians were afoot, however; Missouri's powerful Democratic Sen. Stuart Symington pressured baseball to move up expansion when the Kansas City A's moved to Oakland, leaving KC without a team. There wasn't time to properly renovate Sicks, and the ownership group was not well-capitalized.

Chevy114
03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
So what do you think would have happened had they been allowed to expand the stadium and get the mlb they were promised?

Would they have ever built the dome? Would they have guilt a new stadium between then and safeco? Finally would that stadium had it been built looked like safeco or would it have looked like a stadium from a certain generation?

Phantom Dreamer
06-22-2014, 05:16 PM
So what do you think would have happened had they been allowed to expand the stadium and get the mlb they were promised?

Would they have ever built the dome? Would they have guilt a new stadium between then and safeco? Finally would that stadium had it been built looked like safeco or would it have looked like a stadium from a certain generation?

You know the answers to your questions.

The Sick's Stadium model with a similar color scheme Safeco Field will need to adopt soon!

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqxh44bCAAAAiFY.jpg

ri95171
07-21-2014, 01:22 PM

I believe the plan all along was to put a dome in Seattle... along the lines of Montreal using Jarry as a stopgap until Olympic went up. Just because they could've had more time to improve Sicks didn't mean the old girl was viable in the long run.

ericlc129
09-15-2014, 09:18 AM
You know the answers to your questions.

The Sick's Stadium model with a similar color scheme Safeco Field will need to adopt soon!

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqxh44bCAAAAiFY.jpg

So...in other words, it'd be a predecessor to Rosenblatt....

Big Mike
09-30-2014, 06:44 PM
I heard some talk about how Sick's was designed by an architect who apparently didn't know anything about baseball, and that the final design was somewhat flawed, which might have come back to haunt the Pilots in '69.

Does anyone know who designed Sick Stadium (and for that matter its sister park in Vancouver, Nat Bailey Stadium)?

Brad MCdonald
09-30-2014, 07:50 PM
I heard some talk about how Sick's was designed by an architect who apparently didn't know anything about baseball, and that the final design was somewhat flawed, which might have come back to haunt the Pilots in '69.

Does anyone know who designed Sick Stadium (and for that matter its sister park in Vancouver, Nat Bailey Stadium)?

It was a man named William Aitken

Chevy114
10-01-2014, 05:09 AM
Was it really that bad? What was the issue? Couldn't add 2nd or 3rd decks?

Chevy114
10-01-2014, 05:14 AM

Mt Rainier beyond the RF bleachers.

As I look back at these pictures, I am puzzled to think a stadium with a similar layout to compare this too. I haven't ever seen a third base section taller than the main grandstand. It's just a puzzling layout overall to me.

The Old Ballpark
10-01-2014, 08:16 AM
As I look back at these pictures, I am puzzled to think a stadium with a similar layout to compare this too. I haven't ever seen a third base section taller than the main grandstand. It's just a puzzling layout overall to me.

There's nothing odd about it at all if you understand the evolution, The original design was a classic 1930's minor league park with a covered grandstand behind home plate with clubhouses, concessions and rest room below, and two uncovered pavilions down the first and third base lines. Right on top of the action. Intimate with fine sightlines.

When the decision to expand Sicks as a temporary home for the Pilots was made they simply planned to tear down the two pavilions and cram new seating anywhere there was room on the site. King County ran out of money and time so the original first base pavilion survived.

Pretty straightforward really.

Chevy114
10-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Oh Ok I forgot it was temp. stadium, thanks!