PDA

View Full Version : Help me learn to switch hit

ElCaminoSS
09-26-2005, 07:06 PM
I bat righty right now but i want to learn to bat lefty. Can anyone give me any tips.

jacslee
09-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Have you even tried it yet???, Her'es what my son did........
1. Back to the basics.....Hit from the Tee, He did/does 2x as much lefty as righty

2. Move to a cage (40mph)once you are comfortable. Some people just cant do it without it hurting their elbows and wrists...

3. Move up to the cage at what you normally hit.........

4. Get some live cage or practice pitching from someone.

You wont do this overnight..... It took my son about year or so of HARD WORK to get somewhat comfortable...He is now 15 and bats lefty in select and varsity games when the time is right and the coach gives him the OK

GOOD LUCK...............

XFactor
09-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Practice hitting balls off the tee, after you've mastered that using GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MECHANICS! Then you can work on your timing either if you have a friend that pitches, or to a batting cage

Edited: Darn, Jac beat me to it... bah, humbug... good job :P

Edited again: You know there was a thread kind of like this back in the day http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=31194

The thing is, why work hard on being a switch hitter when you can focus that energy on trying to improve your current swing. Ya know?

ElCaminoSS
09-26-2005, 10:02 PM
thank you both for the advice. my dad always tells me to just bat righty so ill try and make a decision soon, i would like to be able to bat from both sides.

YankeesCatcher
09-28-2005, 02:28 AM
I think it's just a question of how it works.

I've always been able to do it from the time I started playing.

Yankeesfan1234
10-08-2005, 11:45 PM
my hitting coach who coache Tulane baseball for about 20 years says if u do regular stuff like eat cereal lefthanded or some everyday thing lefthanded along with ur right hand then u can try it but if u dont then just stick with the regular

ElCaminoSS
10-09-2005, 12:05 AM
wow thats interesing, I'll try that.

Yankeesfan1234
10-09-2005, 12:17 AM
do u do that on a regular basis im saying...if u do then u can try switch hitting but if u dont then worry about spending that precious to another part of ur game

YankeesCatcher
10-09-2005, 03:08 AM
If you're still in school then you can try writing left handed for an entire week.

I did and it worked out very well.

Gamingboy
10-09-2005, 06:41 AM
I used to switch hit in little league. About the only thing I could do that the other kids couldn't...

Well, I could bunt too...

TheSandman
10-10-2005, 06:50 AM
How old are you.... it may be better not to bother with switch-hitting.

ElCaminoSS
10-10-2005, 05:31 PM
I am 14 years old

TheSandman
10-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah, with enough practice you could definitely make it work. I was just thinking that if you were, say, 18, that hard work might be better used developing your current swing, since you might not have time to adjust. But yeah, if your 14 you should go for it. Just practice a lot.

ElCaminoSS
10-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Ya ive already started in the batting cage and its going pretty well

jacslee
10-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Been a while since I checked the thread, go ahead guys and be a 5 tool player (if you are a true 5 tool player), but if you can make yourself a 6 tool player you will have a HUGE advantage over every other player that is at your skill level and the coach is looking at all of you trying to decide why should he pick you and not the other player. Ask any coach who has the upper hand and he will tell you a guy that can switch hit is on the top of the list over the others on the same skill level. Many times switch hitting will give you the thumbs up over another player that has you beat in one of the other tools...........

chisox2k5
10-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Did I just read something along the lines of 'why should you switch it.'

Wow.

Hit 300 switch in college and put shinguards, a chest protector, and a mask on for 9 innings and your a millionaire.

jbooth
10-25-2005, 11:29 AM
my hitting coach who coache Tulane baseball for about 20 years says if u do regular stuff like eat cereal lefthanded or some everyday thing lefthanded along with ur right hand then u can try it but if u dont then just stick with the regular

That's way up near the top of the list of the dumbest statements I've heard in my life and I'm 55.

What the heck does eating cereal opposite handed have to do with swinging a baseball bat?

It takes your brain 200 to 300 reps to learn a maneuver with multiple, synchronized movements. It takes thousands of reps to perfect it, and if you make a change it takes a minimum of 1,500 to 3,000 reps just to get the change made, then thousands more to perfect it.

If you want to hit the opposite way you just have to learn it from the ground up, just as you did the other way, and have the patience to put in thousands of swings just to get to the competence level where you are on the other side.

The best way to learn to switch hit is to learn from both sides the day you began to play baseball.

Yankeesfan1234
10-25-2005, 06:53 PM
lol i heard it from a guy who has coached Tulane college for 20 years so you tell me if you are a better coach than he is

ElCaminoSS
10-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Carlos beltran learned to switch when he was an adult and i think already in the majors

ccbsball12
10-25-2005, 08:17 PM
you really just need to get a lot of repatitions from the opposite side

Brian McKenna
10-25-2005, 10:58 PM
switch hitting is not the end all - young kids should not be doing it

it is not to be gone into lightly

jbooth
10-26-2005, 08:06 AM
lol i heard it from a guy who has coached Tulane college for 20 years so you tell me if you are a better coach than he is

Yeah, I think I know as much or more about hitting than most people in baseball today, including MLB coaches.

Plus, as I said before, how the heck does doing ANYTHING opposite handed, other than swinging a bat, help you swing the bat? Does the fact that you eat your cereal right handed every morning help your right handed swing?

jbooth
10-26-2005, 08:08 AM
switch hitting is not the end all - young kids should not be doing it

it is not to be gone into lightly

And why do you believe that?

Jake Patterson
10-26-2005, 09:16 AM
I've coached for twenty years, run clinics, train players off-season, and have penned two books on coaching. I agree with jbooth, if you REALLY want to do this, you need to start with the basics and move up. Good muscle memory is very difficult to create. It takes thousands of repetitions. I would suggest however, if you are fourteen,to seek the help of a qualified coach. Also keep in mind that each athlete's ambidextrous talents vary from athlete to athlete. Some can do everything both left and right while others (myself included) can't do anything with the opposite hand. A good coach can tell you if you are capable.

My son also was a switch hitter. He played college and Legion. Because he was always a better right handed batter, the only time he batted left was when the coach wanted a bunt left side.

Yankeesfan1234
10-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I think I know as much or more about hitting than most people in baseball today, including MLB coaches.

Plus, as I said before, how the heck does doing ANYTHING opposite handed, other than swinging a bat, help you swing the bat? Does the fact that you eat your cereal right handed every morning help your right handed swing?

you obiously dont know what your talking about cause i didnt mean it that way i meant if you have any cordination in your opposite hand then you can try it and if you dont then forget about......
you know more than college and major league hitting coaches i would love to meet you...it sounds like you have an ego...you tell me what you think the most important part or parts of hitting is

jbooth
10-26-2005, 11:29 PM
you obiously dont know what your talking about cause i didnt mean it that way i meant if you have any cordination in your opposite hand then you can try it and if you dont then forget about......
you know more than college and major league hitting coaches i would love to meet you...it sounds like you have an ego...you tell me what you think the most important part or parts of hitting is

I own a baseball training school and I teach hitting for a living. If you want a lesson come to California and I'll make you a hitter.

Most important thing; body control/balance and a perfectly steady head during the swing.

ElCaminoSS
10-27-2005, 11:25 AM
I live in california, where exactly is your school?

jbooth
10-27-2005, 12:00 PM
I live in california, where exactly is your school?

Novato, CA. In Marin County, 20 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge

http://firstpickclub.com

Yankeesfan1234
10-27-2005, 03:02 PM
the main point im trying to say is if you had decent cordination in both hands then try it if you dont you dont

Yankeesfan1234
10-27-2005, 03:10 PM
looks like the only people you coach from what i saw in you video is like 9 and 10 year olds (your facility isnt too big either)

jbooth
10-27-2005, 04:01 PM
looks like the only people you coach from what i saw in you video is like 9 and 10 year olds (your facility isnt too big either)

I understand that part of what you were trying to determine was whether you had any ability to use your other hand, but that still doesn't relate to whether or not you can hit the other way. And, everybody will feel awkward doing anything the opposite way on the first few tries.

I teach all ages, but it so happens that the majority of the customers at most training facilities are kids 14 and under. It doesn't matter how old you are, the swing is the same. Teaching young ones is more difficult than teaching the older ones. The older ones understand what you want them to do more quickly. The key is to know WHAT to teach, WHO you are teaching is irrelevant.

And what does the size of my facility have to do with my ability to make hitters better?

I have 2 former Major League players who endorse what I teach.
Mike Epstein (who got me started and I've learned more since) and
Jerry Goff.
Jerry didn't have a great career and said he wished he knew what I know when he was playing. He retired in 1996.

Yankeesfan1234
10-27-2005, 04:59 PM
well is it a membership or you have to make appointments to go there thats what will answer my question

ElCaminoSS
10-27-2005, 05:25 PM
ya Im in southern California

jbooth
10-27-2005, 05:30 PM
well is it a membership or you have to make appointments to go there thats what will answer my question

You can sign up for group lessons (maximum of 4 in a group) or private lessons. I'm waiting for my new facility to be built (12,000 sqft). I will offer memberships then. It won't be done until about this time next year.

Power Switch Hitter
06-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Well im a 17 and i discovered switch hitting when i was hitting in the cage. I wasnt hitting it well right handed so i switched for the fun of it and hit nothing but line drives. I finally tried it in a game 4 days ago and hit it off the right field wall and its about 340 down the lines. You have to practice it religously. Some people it come natrual to like it did with me. Ive heard stories of people learning to switch hit in college and even the minors. Get a hitting instructor to help you thats what im doing to fin tune my swing on both sides.

Baseball gLove
06-17-2006, 02:39 AM
ya Im in southern California

There are a lot of good batting coaches around you. Doug Latta at the Ball Yard near Chatsworth HS is pretty good. There also Mucky's hitting & pitching camp at Crespi in Encino.

My son can switch hit, and can hit with almost as much power left handed, but hasn't because he wants to do his best in every game. He right handed, but left footed.