PDA

View Full Version : Venezuela and Dominican Republic: which is better?

Bonus
03-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Venezuela (http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/rosters/index.jsp?sid=t944) and the Dominican Republic (http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/rosters/index.jsp?sid=t805)announced their 30-man rosters.

Looking at the following side-by-side comparison, which do you guys think is better?

Venezuela<------->Dominican Republic
Pitchers<------->Pitchers
Tony Armas <------->Miguel Batista
Rafael Betancourt <------->Eude Brito
Giovanni Carrara <------->Daniel Cabrera
Gustavo Chacin <-------> Bartolo Colon
Kelvim Escobar <------->Francisco Liriano
Freddy Garcia <------->Damaso Marte
Carlos Hernandez <------->Odalis Perez
Jorge Julio <------->Fernando Rodney
Victor Moreno <------->Duaner Sanchez
Ricardo Palma <-------> Jorge Sosa
Francisco Rodriguez <------->Julian Tavarez
Johan Santana <------->Robinson Tejeda
Carlos Silva <------->Salomon Torres
Carlos Zambrano<-------> ______________
Victor Zambrano<-------> ______________

Catchers<------->Catchers
Henry Blanco <------->Juan Brito
Ramon Hernandez <------->Alberto Castillo
Victor Martinez <------->Ronny Paulino

Infielders<------->Infielders
Edgardo Alfonzo <-------> Ronnie Belliard
Miguel Cabrera <------->Adrian Beltre
Carlos Guillen <------->Pedro Feliz
Tomas Perez <------->David Ortiz
Marco Scutaro <------->Placido Polanco
Omar Vizquel <------->Albert Pujols
______________<------->Jose Reyes
______________<------->Alfonso Soriano
______________<------->Miguel Tejada

Outfielders<------->Outfielders
Bobby Abreu <------->Moises Alou
Tony Alvarez <------->Juan Encarnacion
Endy Chavez<------->Vladimir Guerrero
Magglio Ordonez <------->Wily Mo Pena
Robert Perez <------->Willy Taveras
Juan Rivera<------->______________

In my opinion, the absence of Pedro makes Venezuela's pitching far superior to the DR's, and one of the best in the tournament. Using the maxim that good pitching beats good hitting, Venezuela may be able to overcome the bigger bats of the DR, especially from the infield positions (Papi, Tejada, Pujols, etc.). However, there is not much depth for Venezuela, especially in the infield, and this may become a problem.

Interestingly, Vlad is listed on the roster, even though he was supposedly out. I wonder if this is just wishful thinking on the DR's part, or whether maybe he wants the option of joining the team. If it's the former, it's a waste of a roster spot at a position that DR has no depth.

Licey Fan
03-06-2006, 03:55 PM
I agree... Venezuela's better now... And Vlad's out... In for him is dominican legend (and I mean legend, I don't know how he made the team) Luis Polonia, who's an all-star in the dominican winter league

efin98
03-06-2006, 05:10 PM
The Dominicans have the better infield and sluggers but can't match the pitching that Venezuela has. Pitching will decide the tournament and Venezuela has the inside track there...

elpedro
03-07-2006, 09:54 PM
I think your question was answered today :dance

Bonus
03-08-2006, 09:20 AM
It was certainly a higher scoring game than anyone would have predicted, given who started. I think Venezuela was close (double off the wall and bad error by Alfonzo) to having had the game tied in the 8th, but the ninth is simply another story (Jorge Julio???? What happened to Escobar and K-Rod?).

Anyway, the next time the two teams play (assuming no flop), someone other than Colon might have to start for DR, and the pitch counts will be higher. That may make for a different outcome.

Cubano100%
03-08-2006, 09:41 AM
One game does not change the old saying that good pitching is better than a good offensive line up.

The outcome of this game makes the next one more appealing assuming Venezuela advances too.

Venezuela had its chances through the game and Dominican pitchers were in some trouble too. However, games are decided on the field and the Dominicans did just that.

Why did Luis Sojo allow Ortiz to face that lefty guy he brought out of the bullpen? Walk him and take you chances with Zambrano vs Alou!

Sojo did not play small ball to advance the runners several times with 0 outs.

Sojo did not show anything as a manager in this game.

Soriano and Tejada were overmatched. Ortiz and Beltre seemed in mid-season form by their type of swings.