PDA

View Full Version : The Bullpen

TonyStarks
04-13-2006, 02:11 PM
I gotta say that I've been impressed with most of the Bullpen.

Mike Meyers especially. Ron Villone has done a nice job also.
Farnsworth seems to be settling in and Proctor has had good outings his last few times out there.

No praise for Tanyon...the guy has to be the Odd man out once Octavio Dotel comes back!

(I hope they can keep it at this pace....wishful thinking) :D

mikesty
04-13-2006, 03:50 PM
I hate to say it, but I have no idea which game you just saw. Villone was pretty crummy. Sturtze was as well, but AFAIK he's younger than Villone and Torre has more confidence in him. If anyone's going anywhere, it'd be Villone.

Meyers has been pretty snappy :)

Mariano_Rivera
04-13-2006, 05:35 PM
I hate to say it, but I have no idea which game you just saw. Villone was pretty crummy. Sturtze was as well, but AFAIK he's younger than Villone and Torre has more confidence in him. If anyone's going anywhere, it'd be Villone.

Meyers has been pretty snappy :)

Villone had a bad day and remember the Royals offense was 12th in the AL. Sturtze is truly horrendous I have no idea why Torre puts so much faith in him.

DoubleX
04-13-2006, 06:30 PM
I gotta say that I've been impressed with most of the Bullpen.

Mike Meyers especially. Ron Villone has done a nice job also.
Farnsworth seems to be settling in and Proctor has had good outings his last few times out there.

No praise for Tanyon...the guy has to be the Odd man out once Octavio Dotel comes back!

(I hope they can keep it at this pace....wishful thinking) :D

I was thinking the same thing today, but then Sturtze looked crummy, AGAIN, and Villone looked even worse. Still, Farnsworth and Myers have looked pretty good, Proctor has held his own as well since the first game of the season (and Torre seems to trust him). The bullpen has more depth and flexibility than it has since the end of the last WS run.

I agree, when Dotel arrives, Sturtze has to be the odd man out (and that might come even sooner depending on the timetables for Small and Pavano).

TonyStarks
04-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing today, but then Sturtze looked crummy, AGAIN, and Villone looked even worse. Still, Farnsworth and Myers have looked pretty good, Proctor has held his own as well since the first game of the season (and Torre seems to trust him). The bullpen has more depth and flexibility than it has since the end of the last WS run.

I agree, when Dotel arrives, Sturtze has to be the odd man out (and that might come even sooner depending on the timetables for Small and Pavano).

Well I wrote this before Villone jumped into the Game.
DX, I hate Sturtze. I just don't trust the guy. I trust Proctor more than I trust him. (Knocks on wood) :laugh

Like I said, I can't wait until Dotel comes back. Sturtze has to be the odd man. Then it's :waving ....off to AAA.

DoubleX
04-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Like I said, I can't wait until Dotel comes back. Sturtze has to be the odd man. Then it's :waving ....off to AAA.

I don't know if they can send Sturtze to AAA without his permission given that he has a ML contract. I'm guessing if they want to get rid of him, they'll have to trade or just release him. Unfortunately, knowing the way the Yankees do business, in that they rather play the guys with contracts then the better players with smaller contracts (like Proctor in this case), Proctor will probably be the guy to go to the minors.

Though, and this might be wishful thinking, I'm thinking that Torre is using Proctor so much, and in key situations, because he wants to give Proctor a chance to play himself into not being the guy that will be axed. I think Torre wants to keep Proctor around.

TonyStarks
04-13-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't know if they can send Sturtze to AAA without his permission given that he has a ML contract. I'm guessing if they want to get rid of him, they'll have to trade or just release him. Unfortunately, knowing the way the Yankees do business, in that they rather play the guys with contracts then the better players with smaller contracts (like Proctor in this case), Proctor will probably be the guy to go to the minors.

Though, and this might be wishful thinking, I'm thinking that Torre is using Proctor so much, and in key situations, because he wants to give Proctor a chance to play himself into not being the guy that will be axed. I think Torre wants to keep Proctor around.

Well Proctor is earning his pay...unlike Sturtze.
He's been stinking up the joint!

mikesty
04-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Whaatever, the thing is, once Small, Pavano, and Dotel come back Villone, Proctor, and Sturtze will get the nix.

Yankeebiscuitfan
04-13-2006, 11:48 PM
When Dotel comes back, just send Sturtze to the minors. You'll never know how Dotel will do. Maybe he stinks as well. So then we might need Sturtze again. If Dotel does fine, you can release Sturtze.

DoubleX
04-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Whaatever, the thing is, once Small, Pavano, and Dotel come back Villone, Proctor, and Sturtze will get the nix.

That's assuming everyone is healthy. It's a safe bet that at least a couple of guys currently on the 11 man pitching staff, will be on the DL at some point.

Mariano_Rivera
04-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Well it won`t be Sturtze, Villone and Proctor. It will probably be Sturtze, the 3rd catcher and either Villone or Proctor depending on who does better