PDA

View Full Version : Which would you want more?

CultofCubs
05-27-2006, 09:54 PM
A Pending trade got me wondering of a question?
Would you rather have a original card of someone or a Current Inserts card of a person with a Autograph, were talking HOF players here.

wamby
05-27-2006, 10:33 PM
An original card. I've never been interested in autographs.

Sean Casey
05-29-2006, 09:44 PM
It would depend on which player we're talking about, but on average, I would say that I would rather have an autograph. Certain rare, vintage cards, especially rookie cards from guys like Aaron and Mays would be preferable to an autograph of theirs, but when it comes to pretty much any HoFer who played in the 60's or later, I would much rather have the autograph. Same thing for deceased HoFers from the early 1900's - as rare as the cards may be, the signatures are even rarer, for the most part.

flyingdutchdude
05-29-2006, 10:20 PM
To some advanced collectors an autograph is damage to a card and some wouldnt want it in their set or collection. Especially high grade/valued modern cards (1950-Now). Depends on the player and how rare his autograph is. I once had a NRMT/MINT 1954 Bowman Mays that was signed, and it brought far less $$ that if it were unsigned. But if you had a 1954 Bowman Campanella signed, I would easily pay 5-10X more for it.

Also if it was a player that has been deceased for over 50 years and the card was Pre1940, I would sure pay a huge premium for a vintage card signed by them.

Here are 5 vintage cards signed by deceased HOFers.....
Jimmie Foxx, Joe Cronin, Joe Sewell, Ted Lyons, Mickey Mantle