PDA

View Full Version : How's Tejada Playing

Chelle
06-12-2006, 10:44 AM
The Twins walked Miguel Tejada three times during their recently completed series with the Orioles.
Tejada entered the series having been walked intentionally just twice all year, so this is something to keep an eye on going forward. Tejada has been one of the league's most effective hitters and teams would certainly rather pitch to Ramon Hernandez in tight spots. A sudden increase in free passes would hurt Tejada's RBI totals.

Interesting, Tejada being on of our best hitters this could change the way teams play us. With Gibby being out of the line up and Ramon being one of the few other sluggers....this could change the way Sammy runs the line up (the sac bunt issue).

JohnGelnarFan
06-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Very true Chelle. Hernandez isn't really a cleanup hitter and if you decrease Tejada's production,the O's power numbers are woefully low. I hope the league doesn't use that strategy very often or it might be a rough second half.

Chelle
06-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Hopefully now that Gibby is back (and once he's 100%) our cleanup hitter will be able to reclaim his position.

JohnGelnarFan
06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I wish we had a guy like Troy Glaus. That's a power hitter!

Chelle
06-12-2006, 05:19 PM
I hate him with the fire of 1,000 suns. I don't mind seeing Benson give him the K.

JohnGelnarFan
06-12-2006, 05:26 PM
That sounds pretty hot! He'd be a great cleanup hitter in our lineup. I love watching him swing the bat. He couldn't replace Mora at third but could DH and spell him. He might be able to learn to play first base too. We could give them Fernando Tatis,Bruce Chen,John Halama,Todd Williams and Luis Matos.

Chelle
06-12-2006, 06:33 PM
If he learned to play 1B and came to the Orioles I would love him with the fire of 1,000 suns. LOL.

What a great player to have on this team. *sigh*

To good to be true. Don't tease.

JohnGelnarFan
06-12-2006, 06:39 PM
With our luck,he'd come here and hit 11 homers in 550 AB's. :rolleyes:

KamBam
06-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Michael Young go harder than Tejada

Chelle
06-12-2006, 06:46 PM
With our luck,he'd come here and hit 11 homers in 550 AB's. :rolleyes:

Of course...we wouldn't be the O's otherwise.

Or....he'll get busted for the 'roids.

JohnGelnarFan
06-12-2006, 06:52 PM
I just hope that Fahey doesn't get caught doing PED's.

Chelle
06-12-2006, 07:00 PM
The way he's been bulking up? He's so going to get busted.

JohnGelnarFan
06-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Such a woman! :laugh SO going to get busted!

Chelle
06-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Shortstop

AL: Miguel Tejada, Orioles. After creating an offseason stir by saying he wanted to be traded, the former Oakland star is having his usual solid season in the semi-obscurity that is Camden Yards these days. Yes, the O's would be dead without him; but they're dead with him, too. They should wise up and move him for a package of young, inexpensive players and invest the savings on the free-agent market -- if not at the deadline then early next winter. Also in the picture: Derek Jeter, Michael Young and Carlos Guillen.

Chelle
06-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Anyone think last night defensively Tejada was a little....short on reach?

However, glad to see him run it out on the throw to first to break up the double play...

JohnGelnarFan
06-21-2006, 04:01 PM
It wouldn't hurt to give him a day off but that won't happen because of the silly streak stat. It's a long season.Look at his second half last year. He's a gamer though and,like Cal,only an injury will force him out.

Chelle
06-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Made a great diving catch tonight. Not bad Tejada....hats off to you.

JohnGelnarFan
06-22-2006, 02:50 PM
That was a great play. He doesn't look tired but he needs help from the batters around him. When they start hitting again,he'll get better pitches to hit.

Chelle
07-02-2006, 01:13 AM
A player of Tejada's caliber is rarely dealt at midseason, though one high-ranking team source said Baltimore has already received several inquiries about the 2005 all-star, who is hitting .312 with 16 home runs. The club, according to another Orioles source, would ask for a major league pitcher as part of any package for Tejada.

"If the return is right -- two to three pieces that could be core [major league] players quickly, I think they would have to consider it," said an executive for one American League team. "The reality, however, is that deals like that are not often out there and they would need to be sure they were right on the guys they bet on."

Tejada was not available for comment on Monday and his representative did not return a phone call.

Those who have spoken to Tejada recently about the subject said he is happy and does not want to be traded. But Orioles executives and Manager Sam Perlozzo have met several times, though not in the past month, to discuss how to deal with Tejada's tardiness in arriving for games.

"I can't sit here and say we haven't talked about it," Orioles Vice President Jim Duquette said. "It's a topic we've talked about with Sam."

In a game earlier this season in New York, Tejada arrived less than one hour prior to the scheduled start time. Most Orioles are in the clubhouse three hours before game time. One player, speaking off the record, said that Tejada is still popular among his teammates but that his tardiness is an issue.

One team source said Baltimore has tried to fine Tejada, but those fines have been ignored. The source said it was possible team officials had not pushed Tejada to pay the fines or disciplined Tejada publicly because they did not want to risk alienating him or hurting his trade value.

"I can't remember the last time I heard anything about it at all," Orioles Executive Vice President Mike Flanagan said. "Sometimes this business of being late is a matter of interpretation."

Flanagan said Duquette spoke with Tejada on Sunday and "felt really good" about the conversation. But Tejada arrived at 12:10 p.m. for Sunday's 1:35 game against the Washington Nationals.

Several team sources said they have noticed Tejada sulking some of late, perhaps stemming from his name being linked to the investigation into an affidavit from former Oriole Jason Grimsley, which appears to link several of his ex-teammates to the use of amphetamines and perhaps other substances. (The names in the affidavit have been redacted.) Since it became public on June 7, Tejada is hitting just .236 (17 for 72).

Chelle
07-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Washington, D.C.: I was disturbed this weekend to see Tejada's lack of hustle on the base paths. How long has this been going on and is the manager doing anything about it?

Jorge Arangure Jr.: This is where i don't envy Sam Perlozzo. What is a manager to do? If he thinks Tejada isn't hustling then perhaps he benches him. But he can't really bench Tejada because of the consecutive games streak that obviously means a great deal to him.

(From the Washington Post Chat)

JohnGelnarFan
07-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Jim Palmer mentioned it on a ground ball that Tejada seemed to run half speed on. He said that a real team leader would never take for granted that any ball was a sure out and would always hustle. He was obviously disturbed by Tejada's lack of hustle on that play. Last night against the Braves the announcers mentioned that Tejada was animated and showed enthusiasm that seemed to have been missing lately. Maybe he's tired of losing or just tired of hearing his name mentioned in possible trades. Only he knows what has puzzled us recently.

Chelle
07-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Perhaps someone is mentioning to him that the Post and the Sun are calling him out for always being late, and that even the fans are starting to mention that maybe he should be traded. When fans start to want to trade the "superstar" you know you need to take a good look at yourself.

Or, maybe his ego just is to big for that.

JohnGelnarFan
07-02-2006, 01:19 PM
I hate to think that but it may be true Chelle.

Chelle
07-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Miggy stat on GIDP:

In 2004 he GIDP 24 times (that was in 653 at bats) and in 2005 he GIDP 26 times (that was in 654 at bats).

So far in 2006 he has GIDP 21 tims (with only 334 at bast so far).

JohnGelnarFan
07-03-2006, 06:20 PM
That just means he's hitting the ball hard! ;) You sure do your homework Chelle. :clapping

J W
07-04-2006, 04:16 PM
A player of Tejada's caliber is rarely dealt at midseason, though one high-ranking team source said Baltimore has already received several inquiries about the 2005 all-star, who is hitting .312 with 16 home runs. The club, according to another Orioles source, would ask for a major league pitcher as part of any package for Tejada.

"If the return is right -- two to three pieces that could be core [major league] players quickly, I think they would have to consider it," said an executive for one American League team. "The reality, however, is that deals like that are not often out there and they would need to be sure they were right on the guys they bet on."

Tejada was not available for comment on Monday and his representative did not return a phone call.

Those who have spoken to Tejada recently about the subject said he is happy and does not want to be traded. But Orioles executives and Manager Sam Perlozzo have met several times, though not in the past month, to discuss how to deal with Tejada's tardiness in arriving for games.

"I can't sit here and say we haven't talked about it," Orioles Vice President Jim Duquette said. "It's a topic we've talked about with Sam."

In a game earlier this season in New York, Tejada arrived less than one hour prior to the scheduled start time. Most Orioles are in the clubhouse three hours before game time. One player, speaking off the record, said that Tejada is still popular among his teammates but that his tardiness is an issue.

One team source said Baltimore has tried to fine Tejada, but those fines have been ignored. The source said it was possible team officials had not pushed Tejada to pay the fines or disciplined Tejada publicly because they did not want to risk alienating him or hurting his trade value.

"I can't remember the last time I heard anything about it at all," Orioles Executive Vice President Mike Flanagan said. "Sometimes this business of being late is a matter of interpretation."

Flanagan said Duquette spoke with Tejada on Sunday and "felt really good" about the conversation. But Tejada arrived at 12:10 p.m. for Sunday's 1:35 game against the Washington Nationals.

Several team sources said they have noticed Tejada sulking some of late, perhaps stemming from his name being linked to the investigation into an affidavit from former Oriole Jason Grimsley, which appears to link several of his ex-teammates to the use of amphetamines and perhaps other substances. (The names in the affidavit have been redacted.) Since it became public on June 7, Tejada is hitting just .236 (17 for 72).

Do you have a link or at least a source for this Chelle? Just protecting your back.

Chelle
07-04-2006, 05:42 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/26/AR2006062601355.html

Ack, you know I almost always paste the link at the top. I don't know why I forgot to do that this time. Out of practice possibley from vacation :D

J W
07-05-2006, 06:09 AM
No prob. I know you do due diligence.

Thanx

Chelle
07-05-2006, 08:31 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/04/AR2006070400950.html

CHICAGO, July 4 -- Very slyly, Baltimore Orioles Manager Sam Perlozzo may have finally persuaded shortstop Miguel Tejada to relish the designated hitter role.

Perlozzo recently revealed to Tejada that his numbers were actually pretty good as a DH (eight hits in 26 at-bats and a .308 average, with two home runs entering Tuesday). So on Tuesday, Tejada approached Perlozzo for the first time and asked if he could DH. Perlozzo happily agreed.

"Now he's a little more receptive to it," Perlozzo said.

Tejada's willingness to DH may be a good sign for the Orioles, who would prefer him to take an occasional day off from shortstop.

"He could use a rest off his feet," Perlozzo said.

JohnGelnarFan
07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm glad that he's not being hardheaded about being the DH occasionally.He's a solid shortstop but a day off defensively will keep his body and offense much more productive.

Chelle
07-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Miguel Tejada doubled three times and drove in two runs Thursday against the White Sox.
Tejada hasn't played at a star level since April, especially on defense, which could be an indication that he remains displeased with his situation in Baltimore. The Orioles have said they won't trade and it's likely they'll stick to the pledge, at least until the offseason. Tejada will probably bounce back with a fine second half anyway, but he might do even more with a change of scenery. Jul.

Chelle
07-07-2006, 01:03 PM
After declining to defend his title last year, Miggy has decided to join the All-Star HR Derby this year. The other contenders are:

AL:
Big Papi
Troy Glaus, Toronto Blue Jays
Jermaine Dye, Chicago White Sox

NL:
Miguel Cabrera, Florida
David Wright, NY Mets
Ryan Howard, Phillies
Lance Berkman, Houston

JohnGelnarFan
07-07-2006, 01:56 PM
The homerun derby is always great fun. These competitors are a good bunch. I look forward to seeing Ryan Howard hit some moon shots.

Chelle
07-11-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm getting sick of everyone Miggy bashing. He's OURS to bash.....

Real fast: Who was the MVP of last year’s All-Star Game? Remember? It was Miguel Tejada, pre-B-12, back when everyone considered him a real Team Leader and Stand Up Guy. The guy will be there tonight too, and we hope you enjoy tonight’s All-Star Game, because, well, you’ll almost certainly forget about it by this time next year.

http://www.deadspin.com/

JohnGelnarFan
07-12-2006, 12:08 PM
He's third in the majors in hits and leads shortstops in many offensive categories. I love watching him play. He IS the leader of this team!

Chelle
07-18-2006, 04:56 AM
I guess I'm not the only one that thinks he doesn't run out plays

2. Miguel Tejada nearly getting thrown out at second base after tapping a soft grounder and jogging to first with the urgency of a cable repairman. He didn't reach full speed until the Athletics' Jason Windsor's throwing error. Tejada was safe at second, barely beating the tag.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.maese18jul18,0,3237898.column?coll=bal-sports-baseball

JohnGelnarFan
07-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Things like this haven't been Tejada's style in the past. If it means that he's unhappy in Baltimore,trade him. He's a great player but if he isn't going to give his best effort,it will effect others on the team. Wev'e seen it on other teams before.