PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano and Contreras

Whitesoxnut
06-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Right now Chicago has two of the most un-hittable pitchers in baseball right now. Their stuff is as close to "un-hittable" as you'll find in the game today. "Z" is pitching for the Cubs today and if you get a chance to watch the game, 1:20 CT, take it because his stuff has been downright nasty in the last 3 or 4 starts. I believe in his last 3 he's taken no-hitters into the late innings "last one the 8'th". His stuff, especially recent stuff, is much better then his 2.94 ERA reflects. He is tied in the NL for tops in SOs and would have more wins and better stats had he not had a bad start with a weak hitting team.

I like pitching and defensive contests and its a pretty good time to be a Chicago baseball fan when either of these two are on the mound. Both are really using all their pitches, and all their speeds.

Contreras is not a real SO pitcher but he had 11 in his last start and its very difficult getting good wood on his pitches. He'll come at you with different pitches, speeds, release points, and arm rotations. He has a sidearm curve that is NASTY! Both pitchers are as dangerous as any Ive seen play the game.:clapping

Brannu
06-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Now we know what The Yankees were talking about when Contreras defected. As I have been watching him, he truly does appear to be close to unhittable. If there were guys that I thought could throw no hitters this season, he would be one of them.

I was watching the latter innings of that game that Zambrano pitched last week, against Houston. It looked as though he started pressing and losing control of his adrenaline. But, he was brilliant, nonetheless.

Out of the two ... I go for Contreras simply because he appears to be able to keep his cool a lot better. But, yes...the pitching in Chicago is something to envy. Hell, outside of those two you still have the rest of Chicago's rotation and Gregg Maddux and Mark Prior when/if he comes back healthy. Both of my teams, St. Louis and Cleveland could use a little bit of that love.

baseball junkie
06-15-2006, 04:39 PM
If only Contreras could have played his whole career in MLB and not spent all those years wasting away in Cuba. I think we'd be looking at a potential 300-game winner.

But if we're picking between them at this point in their careers, Zambrano. He's the best pitcher the Cubs have -- including Prior and Woods when they're both healthy.

Anybody think he has a shot at NL Cy Young? Pitching for the Cubs is sure gonig to hurt until Lee gets back.

otis89
06-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Anybody think he has a shot at NL Cy Young? Pitching for the Cubs is sure gonig to hurt until Lee gets back.

Not unless he starts getting some run support. You know wins are the most important stat to judge a pitcher by. :rolleyes:

baseball junkie
06-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Once Lee gets off the DL, Aramis might start hitting again and Zambrano could pile up a bunch of wins in the second half.

And seriously, when did Juan Pierre turn into a mendoza-line hitter?

rockin500
06-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Not unless he starts getting some run support. You know wins are the most important stat to judge a pitcher by. :rolleyes:
that and keeping his walks down. he's walking nearly 5 per 9 innings, which is unacceptably high.

otis89
06-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Once Lee gets off the DL, Aramis might start hitting again and Zambrano could pile up a bunch of wins in the second half.

And seriously, when did Juan Pierre turn into a mendoza-line hitter?

When he came to the Cubs. If you come to the Cubs, you become a sub-.250 hitter. If you come to the Cardinals, you become a .300+ hitter.