PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Fly as WILLIE is blasted!

DODGER DEB
07-04-2006, 04:52 AM
The NY Daily News has this story today on why the sparks started flying in the METS clubhouse last night, when Pedro Feliciano openly blasted Willie Randolph, after the METS lost yet another game.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/432364p-364299c.html

c.

craigercu
07-04-2006, 05:45 AM
Feliciano has a point. That was poor bullpen management, but the who the hell is he to say? He's a sub-par middle reliever and should not be rocking the boat like that.

In hindsight, Randolph sees the mistake and hopefully will not make it again in October.

But I'm not peeved about Feliciano as much as I am about the Kazmir trade. This guy continues to go out there and dominate at 21 years old. To add to that, Wigginton hit 2 homers yesterday too. He'd look pretty good at 2nd base right now. Let's hope the Mets don't do anything rash before the trading deadline.

METS Fan
07-04-2006, 06:17 AM
I think it is usually best not to publicly comment on managers mistakes but in this case it is warranted. Randolph has really been dropping the ball recently and he deserves any criticism he gets. I really wonder if he has what it takes to coach a winning team. Sure they have been doing great but in my opinion it is not because of randolph, they would have won those games if a 90 year old woman was coaching. Now is the time they need effective coaching, when they are struggling, and all Randolph can do is give the Alfred E Newman Response, "What, me worry?" He is a joke and this is rapidly becoming embarressing for the Mets.

DODGER DEB
07-04-2006, 06:58 AM
During the ESPN Sunday night game against the pinstripers, they talked to Willie as Soler was coming apart. While I am paraphrasing here, he said something to effect, when asked about why he left Soler in there so long, that "it all happened so fast". I almost fell off my seat. Was he watching the same game as the rest of us? It seemed like an eternity.

The proof will be in the pudding! Let's see the kind of stuff Willie is made of when the METS are not coasting along. The next few weeks will be all telling.

I sure hope they can get past this phase....without too much (lack of thinking) damage!

c.

craigercu
07-04-2006, 07:04 AM
He's a young manager...we're 10 games up...you have to have patience. Other than the bullpen, I think he's done pretty well. C'mon, it's not his fault he has to throw a minor league pitcher out there against the Yankees in a Sunday night game.

The Mets right now have 3 #4-5 pitchers, and now Pedro is having hip issues. I sure hope they have a plan to fortify the major league rotation that does not include trading Lastings or Pelfrey.

METS Fan
07-04-2006, 07:18 AM
He's a young manager...we're 10 games up...you have to have patience. Other than the bullpen, I think he's done pretty well. C'mon, it's not his fault he has to throw a minor league pitcher out there against the Yankees in a Sunday night game.

The Mets right now have 3 #4-5 pitchers, and now Pedro is having hip issues. I sure hope they have a plan to fortify the major league rotation that does not include trading Lastings or Pelfrey.

1st: Up 10 games doesnt mean crap. They may hang on and win the division but they will NEVER win the post season with Randolphs incompetance and the gapping holes they have in their pitching.

2nd
to hell with Lastings, I am not impressed at all. He is just a punk kid who thinks the rules dont apply to him. I hope they trade his ass because I dont like him. And he will have to go if they want to get some pitching and that is what they need now if they want to succeed in the postseason.

3rd
I disagree, I dont think Willie has done a good job. Even when the were winning he has made some pretty strange decisions. He waits too long to pull rookie pitchers who obviously do not have it. He lets Wagner blow a 4 run lead, etc... I have had enough of this "it all happened so fast" if you cannot keep up and then get out. The Mets need soime leadership right now and he is sitting on his ass with a confused look on his face.

Joltin Joe Giradio
07-04-2006, 10:46 AM
It's pretty obvious that Willie's a bad in-game manager. He gets credit for being a good people manager off the field which is important too. Obviously, we don't get to be around the clubhouse so we can only take people's word that he is good at managing people.

The first clue that I got that he was a bad manager was last yr when he absolutely refused to move Wright up in the lineup even though it was very obvious that Wright was the second best hitter on the club from the beginning. He turned out to be the best hitter when Beltran stunk it up.

With all that said, Feliciano shouldn't have said anything. Pinchhitting for Oliver was not the worst thing that Willie's done. It wasn't that bad a move. The bullpen just blew chunks... which highlights a bigger problem, that Willie loves to work each RP in heavy spurts. He doesn't like spreading the work around, for some reason. He'll work a guy 3 times in 4 games, then will sit him for a week while he works another guy 3 days straight.

Mr. Met
07-04-2006, 12:50 PM
It's amazing what a bad week does for team 'chemistry'. ;)

craigercu
07-04-2006, 06:35 PM
#1: Randolph is not the problem...it's not his fault he's throwing #5 starters out there with three of his rotation spots. So what if he brought in Heath Bell for Soler on Sunday night. Like Bell is going to hold the Yankees for a few innings. He had Looper last year and BL made Randolph look bad plenty of times.

#2: "To hell with Lastings"...yeah, he's got an attitude, but the kid is going to hit .300 with 30 hrs one day. Think about that when we're playing Victor Diaz in left next year.

#3: It's early enough in the season to have patience with these kids. Pulling them when they get into 3rd inning trouble does nothing for their development. We have time and a nice cushion in the worst division in baseball.

Please relax, people. The Mets have their best squad in years, and they have some good young kids waiting in the minors. Now, I think we need a starter or two, but so does everyone else...

KCGHOST
07-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Randolph is no worse than any other manager today. They all seem to follow a script and show no imagination in habdling their staffs.