PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Abreau

racosun
07-16-2006, 09:52 AM
According to mLive.com, the Tigers are close to acquiring slugger Bobby Abreau from the Philadelphia Phillies. Abreau wouldn't be just a temporary fill-in, since he's got a few years left on his contract, and some major dollars coming.

Past reports have said the Tigers weren't pursuing him at all, while other reports have said the Phillies want too much in return. Earlier demands for Abreau have included Justin Verlander, Joel Zumaya, and possibly even Cameron Maybin. I'm hoping we won't have to give up any of those three to get an aging slugger who appears to have lost most of his power. Plus, when or if we get him, what do we do with Thames and Monroe? One would occupy the DH spot, but the other would most likely be involved in the deal as well.

What do you guys think? Would this be a good trade for us, or could it damage team chemistry and put the playoffs in peril? Who would we most likely give up to get Abreau? Discuss.

Captain Cold Nose
07-17-2006, 07:18 AM
According to mLive.com, the Tigers are close to acquiring slugger Bobby Abreau from the Philadelphia Phillies. Abreau wouldn't be just a temporary fill-in, since he's got a few years left on his contract, and some major dollars coming.

Past reports have said the Tigers weren't pursuing him at all, while other reports have said the Phillies want too much in return. Earlier demands for Abreau have included Justin Verlander, Joel Zumaya, and possibly even Cameron Maybin. I'm hoping we won't have to give up any of those three to get an aging slugger who appears to have lost most of his power. Plus, when or if we get him, what do we do with Thames and Monroe? One would occupy the DH spot, but the other would most likely be involved in the deal as well.

What do you guys think? Would this be a good trade for us, or could it damage team chemistry and put the playoffs in peril? Who would we most likely give up to get Abreau? Discuss.
I don't see what Abreu can really add to this team. Trading any of the players the Phillies reportedly want could be disastrous. They got whwre they are now with youth and a veteran influx. Giving up the future for the now (maybe) is not a wise move.

carta_411
07-17-2006, 08:15 AM
package up monroe, tata, + a prospect, to get the deal done, then i would do it

KCGHOST
07-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Giving up Verlander would be insane. You don't give up a guy who could be a potential #1 starter for a 32 year old OFer who isn't named Ruth or Aaron.

Where would you play Abreu?? He is an RFer and you already have Ordonez?? I guess one of those guys could go to LF or DH. No doubt Abreu would help the offense.

racosun
07-17-2006, 08:33 AM
package up monroe, tata, + a prospect, to get the deal done, then i would do it

That seems like a good deal for us, but there are plenty of other teams after Abreau's bat as well, so I'd think we'd probably have to give up a bit more. I'm betting that as of right now, Marcus Thames would be worth more to other teams than Monroe would be, so he'll most likely have to be included in alot of deals. I'd give up Zach Miner or Humberto Sanchez, plus Thames and maybe a AA guy or two. Abreau has a couple years left on his deal, so it's not like we'd only be renting him for a half-season, so I'd guess he's going to cost a pretty penny.

The only advantage Abreau would give us over Marcus Thames is speed and better defense, plus he's a lefty. Marcus is hitting for a better average and has better power numbers. I think he'd also have more RBI's if he'd been a starter all year long. I agree with the Cap'n, it's probably not worth the price we'd have to pay to get Abreau. We seem to be getting along just fine the way things are. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we were able to get him, but only if the price is right. I think Thames is beginning to blossom into the player he was projected to be when the Yankees had him in their farm system. Let's just play it smart and stand pat, unless of course Dombrowski is able to fleece yet another team.

tigers527
07-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey there,

Remember that thrilling Monroe v Inge debate we loved so much, Racoson? I guess we are seeing where DD stands on it. Every trade rumor we've heard has been for an OFer? While, I would not mind seeing an upgrade in LF which is where I would see Bobby playing, I do not like the names being thrown out there to bring him here.

Let's see where the Tigers stand the last week of July?

racosun
07-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Hey there,

Remember that thrilling Monroe v Inge debate we loved so much, Racoson? I guess we are seeing where DD stands on it. Every trade rumor we've heard has been for an OFer? While, I would not mind seeing an upgrade in LF which is where I would see Bobby playing, I do not like the names being thrown out there to bring him here.

Let's see where the Tigers stand the last week of July?

C'mon now, no bragging that the GM is on your side. :mad: :laugh

tigers527
07-17-2006, 02:43 PM
C'mon now, no bragging that the GM is on your side. :mad: :laugh

Who's bragging? I was merely pointing out how smart of a baseball mind Dombrowski has. :D

W_Marone
07-17-2006, 03:05 PM
:) It's Abreu:)

Us Phillies fans would have a somewhat straight face when Bobby gets traded, if he does, he's a great average hitter, gets a ton of walks and will score runs. His defense is well....average at best but, dont count on him to be "the man" like we in Philly did. He's what they would call a five tool player, he would be great in the leadoff spot, he can steal and gets on base but, he doesnt want to lead off. He claims that real men get RBI's. I wouldnt mind taking Verlander off youre guys' hands but, no way we're getting him from you guys for Abreu. I think if Detroit does get him that DH would be the best spot for him so as he wont have to attempt to play defense.

Any idea what players have been offered in this recent deal taht is close to being done?

racosun
07-17-2006, 10:28 PM
When talks fizzled earlier regarding the Phillies and Abreau, it was because the Tigers wouldn't part with Zumaya or Verlander. Now that they seem to be back on again, I'm guessing these two teams found a way to work around that problem. In the Alfonso Soriano rumors (according to the Detroit Free Press), it is said the Nationals are asking for Humberto Sanchez, AA pitching prospect Jair Jurrjens, and possibly AA right-fielder Brent Clevlen. The Nationals have also inquired about recieving Zumaya or Verlander in return in earlier negotiations, but were told they were not available. So, in short, it appears that in order to acquire that big bat we are currently looking for, we won't have to part ways with either of our hot rookies.

Abreau has a full no-trade clause in his contract, and the Free Press is thinking that the Tigers would have to pick up his $17 million club option for 2008 if he were to agree to come to Detroit. Add that to the $15 million or so he is due for 2007, plus the rest of the $13.5 million for '06, and it's obvious Abreau would cost us a heck of a lot more than just three top prospects. Considering that Abreau is 32 years old and declining, it would probably be best if we let some other team add him. By using a lot of the ammo we have down on the farm to get either Abreau or Soriano, it tells us the Tigers want to win this year, not next. That's not always a bad thing, but one must remember that the Tigers didn't expect to be this good this quickly. This is a team that is geared more towards winning next season. But then again, one must also remember that Mike Illitch is getting old, and he truly does want to fulfill his promise to bring a winner back to Detroit, so we just may see some kind of big move like one of these would be. Either way things go down, it's good for Tigers fans. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd take Abreau, mainly because I believe Soriano has no intentions of staying in Detroit after this season, even if we throw Juan Gonzalaz-type money at him. He doesn't like the weather, and he doesn't want to play LF beyond this season. Plus, for all we know, he could be older than Abreau!

Paulmcall
07-18-2006, 06:15 AM
That Juan Gonzales name came up when I thought about this possible trade. No way do you give up any of our current pitchers unless you're talking Colon.
I really don't see where the Tigers need to make a move if the relief pitching holds up.
This series starting tonight will determine if Dombrowski has to make a move.

KCGHOST
07-18-2006, 08:09 AM
I wonder if the Tigers would consider giving up the draft rights to Andrew Miller for Abreu??

tigers527
07-18-2006, 02:11 PM
First off Alfonso is listed as being 30 y/o.

My preferred move would be, wait...for a few reasons one would be what doesn't get the deal done now, might get the deal done July 31st. Another, would be see how our own players are going to handle these next few series. There is also the possiblity a sober Young could make the impact they are searching for????

The move I would not mid seeing, is not the blockbuster type. I would say trade Tony Giaritono (spelling?), Kevin Hooper, and say Josh Phelps for Matt Stairs. That way the Tigers don't lose any pitching and get a bat, that although not of the caliber of the other folks mentioned, isn't a slouch either. Besides, Detroit loves to root for the fat guy.

some stats on all 3
Matt Stairs.........5.90 AB/RBI...7.60 AB/R
Alfonso Soriano...6.42 AB/RBI...5.74 AB/R
Bobby Abreu.......5.03 AB/RBI...5.03 AB/R

What these numbers mean is likely less then if they played on the same team. What it does say though, Stairs seems more productive then Soriano, and Abreu seems better then the both of 'em.

racosun
07-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Now some rumors have the Nationals asking for Sanchez, Jurjenns, AND Cameron Maybin for a rental player, Alfonso Soriano. I'd give them the first two, but I'd have to declare Maybin as one of the "untouchable" players like Zumaya and Verlander. Soriano would help right now, but he won't stick around after the season, so we'd be giving up way too much for him with that deal. I don't think DD is that dumb.

As for Abreau, he's becoming too expensive as well. Rumors have a different Philly player coming to Detroit: David Delucci.

Paulmcall
07-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Delucci would be ok if the price was right. Remember, he has been on two teams this year already!

hogwashed
07-24-2006, 12:56 AM

I'm not interested in abreu. His power numbers have declined ( steroids ?), and he's a horrible fielder. He does walk a lot though, he's about to reach his 8th season with over 100 walks.