PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Get Sean Casey; Demote Chris Shelton

KCGHOST
07-31-2006, 09:13 AM
The Tigers picked up 1B Sean Casey from the Pirates for a AA relief pitcher of unknown value. The Tigers apparently prefer Casey's much higher salary, much better glove, and 2006 line of 296/377/408 to Shelton's minimum wage 277/343/476 line. Shelton was shipped to AAA.

The Pirates have to be thrilled they unloaded Casey. From the Tigers point of view Shelton hasn't done much since his monster April.

Big_Mac
07-31-2006, 09:25 AM
shelton had dissappeared since april. like you said kcghost, pittsburgh is happy to unload casey and the tigers get an exprienced bat and glove in the line-up.

G-String Blues
07-31-2006, 10:01 AM
Plus Shelton should be back when rosters expand in September.

wilkerson_rulz-06
07-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Whaaaat!!!

You don't just demote Shelton!!!!

Dmitri Young shouldn't even be on any major-league club!

:grouchy

Say Hey
07-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Whaaaat!!!

Actually, Shelton needs to go to AAA. Ever since April, he has been sub par. He has been trying to change every game with one swing of the bat. He needs to start trying to make contact with the ball, thats what got him his good month of April. Since then he pulls his head while swinging and he doesn't hit well in the clutch. I prefer the Young/Casey combination.

Hazy
07-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Actually, Shelton needs to go to AAA. Ever since April, he has been sub par. He has been trying to change every game with one swing of the bat. He needs to start trying to make contact with the ball, thats what got him his good month of April. Since then he pulls his head while swinging and he doesn't hit well in the clutch. I prefer the Young/Casey combination.
I have to agree, even though I'm a White Sox fan.

"You don't just demote Shelton"? Somebody's stuck in April.

DodgerBlue81
07-31-2006, 05:59 PM
good trade getting Casey. Amazing that Shelton winds up in the minors after the start he had.

Atlanta Braves Freak
07-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Wow, just shows how fast a season can go from UP to down.

KingJ
07-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Whaaaat!!!

Not only is Shelton struggling (most of his numbers are from April with junk since then), but who the persons are to get rid of. Shelton still has plenty of options left and will be around for awhile. Dmitri Young on the other hand is near the end of his career.

Plus, I think the Tigers sticking with Young is just like the White Sox keeping Frank Thomas around for the past couple of years. He isn't as good as he used to be, but over the past 4 years when the Tigers were near the worst team in baseball Young was their All-Star, their franchise face and you can't get rid of him now that they are so close to a World Series.

tigers527
07-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Going all the way back to Sheltons' 2004 season (rule 5 draft). He was always still, and upright in the batters box. Lately, he has been crouched over, as though he is looking for the slashing hit into right field. When that failed, so did the Tigers patience. He would, before this season, hit the ball hard thru the box or into right center. April messed him up bad, it may have been, swinging for the fences or getting his head on straight (or both). It turned him from an average hitter to a homer hitter and took the last 3 months to, maybe, make him see who he was? With hope maybe Shelton can be what he is, instead of what everyone expects of him. What he is...a 300ish AVG., with 15-20 HR, and 80 plus RBI. Instead of the Pujols he pretended to be in April.