PDA

View Full Version : Mets/Pirates trade

steveironcity
07-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Xavier nady to Pittsburgh for Oliver Perez, and Roberto Hernandez. Reported on ESPN

Brooklyn
07-31-2006, 12:25 PM
Oliver Perez? Why would anyone take him?

GiambiJuice
07-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Oliver Perez? Why would anyone take him?

he' still young and has tremendous stuff. Maybe Rick Peterson can "fix him in 10 minutes" like he did with Victor Zambrano :D

Baseball Guru
07-31-2006, 12:30 PM
The key at this point was getting Hernandez back.... One of our best closers got hurt and may miss the rest of the season...

Also, maybe Rick Petersons influence, along with Glavine and Pedro may help Perez in the long run....

Perez is only like 24 and is only 2 years removed from a spectacular season... He is definitely salvageable IMO....

Captain Cold Nose
07-31-2006, 12:33 PM
This could go down as a historically bad trade. A change of scenery, with two HOF pitchers like Glavine and Pedro could turn Perez to what he was expected to be.

Jose Reyes
07-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah Perez was outstanding in 2004. Hopefully he'll have some more seasons like that but in a Mets uniform. He'll probably be in the minors for the rest of this year though.

Brooklyn
07-31-2006, 12:37 PM
The key at this point was getting Hernandez back.... One of our best closers got hurt and may miss the rest of the season...

I hadn't seen the Sanchez news when I posted that. But now they need a RFer. Chavez has been good, but I don't see him as an everyday player and Floyd is injury prone. They are thin in the OF, maybe Milledge will be back up.

Maybe Rick Peterson can "fix him in 10 minutes" like he did with Victor Zambrano

My thoughts exactly...

Baseball Guru
07-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah, Milledge may come up to help out... I'm real happy with Chavez, although I'm not convinced he can do well vs lefties.. I feel real comfortable with him starting vs righties...
I guess we could always throw Marrero out there as well vs lefties...

wilkerson_rulz-06
07-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Wow, is it just me or Oliver Perez is really going to strengthen this Mets rotation, Perez has lost a few steps but still has A-calibre stuff, throws a great fastball, slider, change.

Xavier Nady was good for New York, but when your 4th outfielde Endy Chavez is hitting above .300 and is a better all-around player than you and plus you have a top prospect in Lastings Milledge ready to start.

Roberto Hernandez returns to New York, he should provide solid relief.

Look for Cliff Floyd to be dealt too.

Baseball Guru
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Well, I think the Mets turned around and traded Oliver Perez for Scott Linebrink...

wilkerson_rulz-06
07-31-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, I think the Mets turned around and traded Oliver Perez for Scott Linebrink...
Where do you see that? :eek

baseball junkie
07-31-2006, 01:21 PM
he' still young and has tremendous stuff. Maybe Rick Peterson can "fix him in 10 minutes" like he did with Victor Zambrano :D

I also agree completely. Peterson is a genius in this regard. And this is a bit off topic but since we just had a Hall of Fame induction yesterday, when is the HOF and baseball in general going to recognize the tremendous value of an extraordinary pitching coach and elect one to the Hall of Fame? Suggestions: Leo Mazzone, Dave Duncan, Rick Peterson, Ray Miller.

If these pitching coaches can take a struggling player and help them make a few adjustments and turn them into stars -- like each of the above named men have -- why isn't there more attention paid to them?

Baseball Guru
07-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Where do you see that? :eek

ESPN News... Its a done deal...

wilkerson_rulz-06
07-31-2006, 01:24 PM
ESPN News... Its a done deal...
Wow, Linebrink, I don't know, I mean he is a solid reliever and all but Oliver Perez damn he would fit in nicelt with Glavine and Martinez, not to mention future Philip Humber and Mike Pelfrey.

Baseball Guru
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Not so sure Perez would have been called up this year though... I think he will still have a good future but we had to address a NEED for this year and I think Linebrink is more valuable for NOW than Perez would have been....

GiambiJuice
07-31-2006, 01:42 PM
I also agree completely. Peterson is a genius in this regard. And this is a bit off topic but since we just had a Hall of Fame induction yesterday, when is the HOF and baseball in general going to recognize the tremendous value of an extraordinary pitching coach and elect one to the Hall of Fame? Suggestions: Leo Mazzone, Dave Duncan, Rick Peterson, Ray Miller.

If these pitching coaches can take a struggling player and help them make a few adjustments and turn them into stars -- like each of the above named men have -- why isn't there more attention paid to them?

I was being sarcastic.

mojorisin71
07-31-2006, 06:56 PM
So Perez goes back to the Padres? The Bay/Perez-for-Giles was all a wash then.

Jose Reyes
07-31-2006, 07:40 PM
The Perez/Linebrink deal fell through.