PDA

View Full Version : Do You Want Barry Bonds to Break Aaron's Record?

JimAbbott
10-20-2006, 06:35 PM
The media did this poll among the general public so I thought I'd do it here among real baseball fans and see how it differs.

EvanAparra
10-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Is there a poll coming with this JA?

JimAbbott
10-20-2006, 06:37 PM
There ya go with poll

EvanAparra
10-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks. This is a good topic, although I think I know what the general consensus is..

EvanAparra
10-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Wow...whats wrong here... JA and I agree on something... on a side note, a pig just flew by my window.

JimAbbott
10-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Here are results of the AP poll, I'm hoping the results here differ

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-baseball-appoll&prov=ap&type=lgns

JimAbbott
10-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Pigs can fly sometimes. I saw it at a Pink Floyd concert a couple of times

Rookie1914
10-20-2006, 06:49 PM
No. I didn't want McGwire and Sosa to taint the record books in '98, so no, I don't want the 7-time MVP Roid Boy to be the Home Run King. He will need this beside his name in all record books:

* Roids
* Roids
* Roids
* Roids
* Roids

-Get the picture?

EvanAparra
10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
7 time MVP.. must have been on roids when he won all of em

Murderer's Row
10-20-2006, 06:58 PM
No no and a thousand times no. I can't think of anyone less deserving.

W_Marone
10-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I dont think I would have a problem with him breaking the record if there were not tons of steroid alligations against him, if I were 100 percent positive he was clean they I wouldnt mind, just like I wouldnt mind calling him the single season homerun king over McGuire over Maris (who I still consider the single season leader) But yeah, I wouldnt have a problem crowing him the all time homerun king if I knew he were clean.

Astro
10-20-2006, 07:10 PM
No will most likely win here... I went with I Dont Care (Glad to see that option there) because if he breaks it or not doesnt really bother me at all... I will most likely watch him break it if he does tho

SamtheBravesFan
10-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't want him to do it, because I like Hank Aaron a lot, but I don't see anything stopping him except a catastrophic injury or severe (and overdue) decline. I'll watch him if he gets to 754 homers, or if ESPN cuts to his at-bats in the middle of whatever. :laugh

Ytown Tribe fan
10-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Which one?

Aaron holds the record for most career Total Bases, extra-base hits, RBI, and HR.

Barry needs 22 HR to break that record, 80 extra-base hits to break that record, 368 RBI to break that record, and 1,073 TB to break that record.

I guess I'd like to see him break the Hr mark next season. He may even break the XBH mark as well, if he stays healthy and hits a lot of doubles. I'm not so sure I want to see him stick around long enough to try for the other marks.

SamtheBravesFan
10-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Which one?

Aaron holds the record for most career Total Bases, extra-base hits, RBI, and HR.

Barry needs 22 HR to break that record, 80 extra-base hits to break that record, 368 RBI to break that record, and 1,073 TB to break that record.

I guess I'd like to see him break the Hr mark next season. He may even break the XBH mark as well, if he stays healthy and hits a lot of doubles. I'm not so sure I want to see him stick around long enough to try for the other marks.

Good point. I was talking about the homer record. The XBH one isn't entirely out of reach for Bonds, he might do that. I think we can say that Aaron's RBI and TB records are safe for now.

Rookie1914
10-20-2006, 07:41 PM
I dont think I would have a problem with him breaking the record if there were not tons of steroid alligations against him, if I were 100 percent positive he was clean they I wouldnt mind, just like I wouldnt mind calling him the single season homerun king over McGuire over Maris (who I still consider the single season leader) But yeah, I wouldnt have a problem crowing him the all time homerun king if I knew he were clean.

Remember the magic cream? His boy Sheffield even threw him under the bus.

;)

W_Marone
10-20-2006, 07:45 PM
allegations because nothing has been confirmed by what I would call a reliable source, meaning a drug test or something of that nature.

Skin & Bones
10-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Doesn't matter to me. Bonds breaking Aaron's record won't prove to me he's a Great player, that's already been established. Nor will it prove to me that he's the best homerun hitter ever. As it doesn't prove that Pete Rose is the best hitter ever because he has the most career hits.

EvanAparra
10-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Remember the magic cream? His boy Sheffield even threw him under the bus.
;)
Yeah, Sheffield is DEFINATELY a reliable source. ;) Just like Jose Canseco.

Skin & Bones
10-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Here are results of the AP poll, I'm hoping the results here differ

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-baseball-appoll&prov=ap&type=lgns

Interesting how it shows minorities and younger fans to be more " kind " towards Bonds.

Young adults, age 18 to 29, were more likely than those 40 and over to want Bonds to break the record. White fans rooted against Bonds more than minorities, and fans who think Major League Baseball is not doing enough about steroids were more likely to hope Bonds comes up short.

JimAbbott
10-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I transcend those polls in that I'm 45 and white and I totally want Bonds to break the record

JimAbbott
10-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Evanaparra, just curious if this poll is going the way you expected thus far

EvanAparra
10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Evanaparra, just curious if this poll is going the way you expected thus far
Actually No.. I would have thought something more like a...

Yes - 3
No - 14
Dont Care - 6

Krylon
10-20-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm 19, so I never had the chance to witness Hank break the immortal Babe's record. So I would like to see Bonds do it, or anyone for that matter.

KCGHOST
10-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Bonds is a living rectum, so I would as soon he didn't break the record. As a player he is marvelous, so if it happens it is not the end of the world.

ESPNFan
10-20-2006, 09:14 PM
I say no soley based on the amount of crap ESPN and the media in general is going to run leading up to it and force me as a sports fan to sift through on a daily basis. I have my own opinions on Bonds and if he breaks the record or not its not going to effect it.

Rookie1914
10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
You get on my nerves. Sheffield mentioned he got his from Bonds and Bonds said he didn't know it was steroids. Do you keep up with sports at all? Think before you speak #6! Bonds said it, not Sheffield.

EvanAparra
10-20-2006, 10:20 PM
You get on my nerves. Sheffield mentioned he got his from Bonds and Bonds said he didn't know it was steroids. Do you keep up with sports at all? Think before you speak #6! Bonds said it, not Sheffield.
Glad to know. He got his Bonds from Bonds? That's usually where people get their Bonds. No, sorry don't keep up with sports, I thought this was a cooking forum.

RBi
10-20-2006, 10:21 PM
I say yes, so the media will shut up about it... and move on...

There is so much more to this great sport than the HR chase..

ChrisLDuncan
10-20-2006, 10:30 PM
I mean I'd like to see baseball history sure, but I know the roids thing sucks...but remember this when a record is broken it doesn't mean that the record breaker is better than the guy before him. E.G. Babe Ruth and Jim Brown

hubkittel
10-21-2006, 12:06 AM
i voted "i don't care" because i don't. and that's sad because i love baseball. i love seeing history being made. i love to see greatness. bonds, in the early 90's, was the best ballplayer i ever saw-i've been saying that for over ten years now. but everybody knows whats going on-you can say it's unfair to hurl unsubstantiated accusations around but we all know the truth. and it's all going to come up again next year, ad nauseum. i bet that there will be another round of congressional hearings next year right in the middle of bond's pursuit of the record. the media and the politicians are going to drag the game we all love through the mud yet again. and i'm sick of it. i also don't know what to do about it or how to feel about it. so to heck with it, i don't care if he breaks the record or not. my life won't change regardless of what happens.

Sockeye
10-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Yes, I strongly want Barry Bonds to break Hank Aaron's record!! For several reasons but #1 because I like Barry Bonds as a person BETTER than I do Hank Aaron. It says a lot about Hank Aaron's character (or lack their of) when he comes out and says that when Bonds breaks his record that he isn't going to be there because he doesn't want to draw attention to it.

Well Hank here is clue for you. It is the most coveted record in all of sports it SHOULD get all the attention it deserves!!

It is standard that when a notable record is broken the previous record holder is in attendence when possible (living)

hubkittel
10-21-2006, 10:52 AM
knowing the kind of man most people believe hank aaron to be, the kind of character most people believe he has, what does that say, sockeye, about bonds, the record, and what's going on? :(

Say Hey
10-21-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't really care if he breaks it because as far as I'm concerend, Aaron will always be the real home run king.

Old Sweater
10-21-2006, 12:15 PM
No. Not a roid thing, just like Aaron and what he gave the game a lot more.

Do you realize that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% of the population could take a lunch box of steriods a day and not turn on a ball like Bonds can. To bad he's such a jerk.

Charger567
10-21-2006, 12:25 PM
No. Not a roid thing, just like Aaron and what he gave the game a lot more.

Do you realize that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% of the population could take a lunch box of steriods a day and not turn on a ball like Bonds can. To bad he's such a jerk.

I agree. Also, if you guys think he doesn't deserve to be playing because he took steroids, why do you only care about him? What about the tons of others that you refer/ed to as heroes?

PhilWings24
10-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Bonds is a living rectum, so I would as soon he didn't break the record. As a player he is marvelous, so if it happens it is not the end of the world.

did you just call bonds a rectum?

voted no. i don't care a whole lot, but i'd much rather see the record go to a player who played in a much more defensive era, and the roids issues remove any chance of me pulling for him.

Skin & Bones
10-21-2006, 10:26 PM
knowing the kind of man most people believe hank aaron to be, the kind of character most people believe he has, what does that say, sockeye, about bonds, the record, and what's going on? :(

Many people tend to " overrate " Aaron as a person, Due to the fact that he dealt with racism during his homerun chase. Aaron was a fine man, just like Bonds, who looked to get an edge over his opponents. I've also heard rumors that Aaron was a bitter drunk in his younger days, but mellowed out as he aged.

Mattingly
10-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Barry had 23 doubles, no triples and 26 jacks. That's 49 XBHs. I don't expect more than 40 from him in 2007, if he doesn't retire.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/XBH_career.shtml

He'd need 80 to surpass Aaron. I hope he never gets there. :)

tommybaseball
10-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Do you want the Joker to beat Batman?

runningshoes
10-22-2006, 04:57 AM

It's a different culture than it was 30 years ago; we like the bad guy to win.

Sad but true, so I'm not surprised so many are hoping he breaks the record.

Mattingly
10-22-2006, 07:32 AM
If Bonds gets the career HR record, I would consider that a sad time in baseball. The game needs a feel-good moment. I'm happy that some corporate sponsors are wary of the allegations that he's been using PEDs. Otherwise, it would likely be "business as usual" in promoting Bonds. If they had no qualms with his allegations, then seeing him break that record would be simply bad news to me.

I personally don't believe that a person's head size can increase that much w/o any kind of artificial supplements, especially those which have increased cranium size as an end result. Regardless of whether he was supposedly innocent in trusting and taking whatever his trainer gave him, I don't believe a word of this. How in the world could a professional athlete who watches his diet, exercise and training routine so carefully, not notice that his head has enlarged to where it's almost a volleyball, soon approaching the size of an overinflated beachball?

It's a different culture than it was 30 years ago; we like the bad guy to win.

Sad but true, so I'm not surprised so many are hoping he breaks the record.
We who wants the bad guy to win? Outside of San Francisco, I'm not too sure how many fans of his you'll find.

As to people hoping he'll break the record, which groups of people are you referring to?

Sliding Billy
10-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Doesn't matter to me. Bonds breaking Aaron's record won't prove to me he's a Great player, that's already been established. Nor will it prove to me that he's the best homerun hitter ever. As it doesn't prove that Pete Rose is the best hitter ever because he has the most career hits.
I agree. Comparing Bonds and Aaron on the basis of career home runs is staggeringly irrelevant.

west coast orange and black
10-22-2006, 09:15 PM
mattingly: I don't expect more than 40 from him in 2007, if he doesn't retire.

how many do you expect, two-three, if bonds does retire? :D

tommybaseball
10-23-2006, 12:35 PM
From Mattingly:
The game needs a feel-good moment. I'm happy that some corporate sponsors are wary of the allegations that he's been using PEDs.
Top feel-good moment for 2007 season:
NOBODY SIGNS BONDS!

ChrisLDuncan
10-23-2006, 01:01 PM

I really don't think that this is the best comparison. However I hated the road runner...:)

Edgartohof
10-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Yes, I strongly want Barry Bonds to break Hank Aaron's record!! For several reasons but #1 because I like Barry Bonds as a person BETTER than I do Hank Aaron. It says a lot about Hank Aaron's character (or lack their of) when he comes out and says that when Bonds breaks his record that he isn't going to be there because he doesn't want to draw attention to it.

Well Hank here is clue for you. It is the most coveted record in all of sports it SHOULD get all the attention it deserves!!

It is standard that when a notable record is broken the previous record holder is in attendence when possible (living)

Who doesn't have character?

If you hold some highly regarded record and someone later comes along and breaks it by cheating, would you want to honor that person. Heck, you probably would.

Skin & Bones
10-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Who doesn't have character?

If you hold some highly regarded record and someone later comes along and breaks it by cheating, would you want to honor that person. Heck, you probably would.

What if the record holder did drugs himself ?

Old Sweater
10-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Even if it was pine-tar, every player that has had the ability to make the top level has cheated sometime in their career.

Skin & Bones
10-23-2006, 01:17 PM
It would really be interesting if someone asked Aaron about this quote from I Had A Hammer: The Hank Aaron Story, Aaron told Lonnie Wheeler: Actually the 1968 season wasn't the best time to present my case. It was the first time since my rookie year that I didn't drive in or scored 100 runs. I was so frustrated that at one point I tried using a pep pill-a greenie-that one of my teamates gave me. When that thing took hold, I thought I was having a heart attack. It was a stupid thing to do, and besides that, I shouldn't have been so concerned about my hittin in the first place. Nobody was hitting in 1968. That was the year of the pitcher - Drysdale's streak of scoreless innings and Bob Gibson's 1.12 earned run average.

Goooooo
10-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Aaron = Class, Bonds = Racist. Aaron deserves the record barry doesnt.