PDA

View Full Version : NOT a good response back from a ex ball player.

AutographCollector
12-22-2006, 01:34 AM
Ok, so I was browsing the ttm section of www.sportscollectors.net
And I happened to see that one of their members happened to get back from Fred Toliver ( (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=tolivfr01)

Well obviously Mr Toilver didn't like how and what the person wrote him:
http://us.share.geocities.com/wvutrombone/Picture.jpg
Wow... it's kids like that that ruin the hobby for all of. Read what he wrote (your going to have to decipher it under Mr Toliver's tirade)
Thoughts?

anjo25
12-22-2006, 03:06 AM
The link doesnt work...what did he write?

dmbfan
12-22-2006, 04:27 AM
Nothing shows up from either link.

jakre
12-22-2006, 07:05 AM
I think the guy who posted the link deleted it. On the forum at SCN he posted it and got a lot of negative feedback for the letter he sent to Fred. Fred's response was "Would you write to Roger CLemens like this, idiot?" The sender had written a one sentence letter to Fred with very poor penmanship. I didn't see it, but that's what the thread looks like over there.

AutographCollector
12-22-2006, 07:12 AM
The link doesnt work...what did he write?
Exactly what Jakre said above.
By the way I SAVED the actual photo from the site to my computer. But it's too big to upload. I will upload it to my photobucket account, and see if it works here.

AutographCollector
12-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Here's the pic uploaded to my photobucket account:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/Greddy1976/OWNED.jpg

P.S.
The punk got what he deserved in the response that he received back.

tonypug
12-22-2006, 07:46 AM

P.S.
What if it was just a liitle kid, who didn't know any better. Would he have still deserved that response? Maybe you already know it was an adult, but what if it wasn't?

duckydps
12-22-2006, 07:50 AM

P.S.

Wow, I agree 100%. I saw that earlier today, but couldn't get it to work, thanks for posting it. I can't believe he would send something like that. Didn't he say that the player returned the card signed? I can't believe anyone would send him back a signed card after that type of letter. I think a 6 year old would choose better paper and write a better letter.

anjo25
12-22-2006, 07:58 AM
Here's what the Guy wrote on SCN:

What a jerk it actually made me laugh. With my card I sent him a respectful note telling him I was a fan. Check the scan to see the note he wrote on part of my letter....

By what it looks like, it wasnt a part of the letter, it was the whole letter. Thats sick.
Apparently, it also wasnt written dirctly to Mr Toliver, since it only says "Dear Sir"

Captain Cold Nose
12-22-2006, 08:05 AM
What if it was just a liitle kid, who didn't know any better. Would he have still deserved that response? Maybe you already know it was an adult, but what if it wasn't?
Why is a little kid a big fan of Fred Toliver? He knew enough to write to a guy who hasn't played in over a decade. Heck, he knew enough to complain about in on SCN's community board.

If that's what the person sending for autographs thinks is a respectful way to request one, I'm sorry, he deserves a cold response. Obviously the guy sending the letter is not a fan.

AutographCollector
12-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Then I would have cut him/her some slack if it was indeed a little kid. But it wasn't. It was a adult. Poor letter = poor results. He got what he deserved.

AutographCollector
12-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Why is a little kid a big fan of Fred Toliver? He knew enough to write to a guy who hasn't played in over a decade. Heck, he knew enough to complain about in on SCN's community board.

If that's what the person sending for autographs thinks is a respectful way to request one, I'm sorry, he deserves a cold response. Obviously the guy sending the letter is not a fan.
110% agreed Captain.
If that is how he or she writes the letters to the players it's really a surprise to see him get any sort of success.

dmbfan
12-22-2006, 08:17 AM
AC-Thanks for the photo.

I have been collecting TTM autos for about 20 years now and started when I was around 13/14. In all of the years that I have written letters, I have always tried to put a lot of thought into the letter. I have always referred to the player as "Mr. so and so", because I was taught that to get respect you have to show respect. Even today, when I write to players that are younger than I am, I still address them as Mr.

Unfortunately for us and the hobby, it is things such as this that have and continue to ruin our hobby. I know that I will be writing to Mr. Toliver to simply apologize for the behavior of a few and ask that he not hold this against an entire hobby. And, I know because of the people on this thread, that there are a great number of us, who enjoy the hobby and friendships that are developed.

But, I do have to agree that this guy/gal got exactly what he gave.

AutographCollector
12-22-2006, 05:08 PM
AC-Thanks for the photo.

I have been collecting TTM autos for about 20 years now and started when I was around 13/14. In all of the years that I have written letters, I have always tried to put a lot of thought into the letter. I have always referred to the player as "Mr. so and so", because I was taught that to get respect you have to show respect. Even today, when I write to players that are younger than I am, I still address them as Mr.

Unfortunately for us and the hobby, it is things such as this that have and continue to ruin our hobby. I know that I will be writing to Mr. Toliver to simply apologize for the behavior of a few and ask that he not hold this against an entire hobby. And, I know because of the people on this thread, that there are a great number of us, who enjoy the hobby and friendships that are developed.

But, I do have to agree that this guy/gal got exactly what he gave.
Anytime!
The purpose of me posting this pic and the whole thread was to inform all of us that not everyone who collects ttm is "as good" as us.
Keep writing those polite letters guys and gals. Remember: A little kindness goes a loooong way.