PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals' La Russa Arrested on Drunken Driving Charge

RBi
03-22-2007, 08:14 AM
JUPITER, Fla. (AP) -St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was arrested Thursday on a drunken driving charge after police said they found him asleep inside his running sport utility vehicle at a stop light.
The 62-year-old La Russa gave two breath samples and had a blood alcohol content of 0.093 percent, Jupiter police said in a statement. Florida's legal driving limit is 0.08 percent.

Undercover officers saw La Russa's SUV partly in an intersection around midnight and not moving despite two green lights, police said. Officers knocked on the vehicle's window and La Russa did not initially respond.

The SUV was in drive and running, with La Russa's foot on the brake, police said. When he eventually woke up, the officers asked him to get out of the car.

He was arrested and booked at the Palm Beach County jail on the misdemeanor, according to police and jail records. He was released about 8:30 a.m. after posting $500 cash bond, said Paul Miller, a Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office spokesman.

La Russa's attorney, David Roth, declined to comment. A call to La Russa's cell phone rang unanswered.

The Cardinals play spring training games at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter.

La Russa is a four-time manager of the year and led the Cardinals to the World Series championship last season. He also won the title in 1989 with the Oakland Athletics and has won three other pennants. His 2,297 wins over 28 seasons with the Chicago White Sox, A's and Cardinals is third all-time.

http://sports.myway.com/news/03222007/v3590.html

Zito75
03-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Asleep at the wheel. Sounds a lot like his pitching staff at times.

In all seriousness, I thought he had more character than that.

VTSoxFan
03-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Wow... *shakes head*

Well, I'm glad, if it had to happen, that he was caught asleep at a stop light and not at the scene of an accident.

Old Sweater
03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Lucky his foot stayed on the break pedal.

cardsfanatic
03-22-2007, 09:59 AM
"Asleep at the wheel" -- here I was thinking this article was about his pitcher usage from time to time. :)

Anyway, I expect more than this out of a guy like LaRussa. Young kids will be young kids and while I'm not saying drunk driving is _good_ in any circumstances, I understand that young people make stupid mistakes. You expect a little more maturity than this out of an older fella like LaRussa.

KCGHOST
03-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Things happen in real life.

Wonder how many times he will change lawyers??:D

Captain Cold Nose
03-22-2007, 10:18 AM
The good thing is this seems as innocuous as it would get with something of this matter. A little over the legal limit is still over the legal limit, but I doubt much will happen with this, nor does it seem like anything more than a lapse of judgment.

Bothrops Atrox
03-22-2007, 10:32 AM
The good thing is this seems as innocuous as it would get with something of this matter. A little over the legal limit is still over the legal limit, but I doubt much will happen with this, nor does it seem like anything more than a lapse of judgment.

I agree. The difference between "a little over the legal limit" and vehicular manslaughter can be as fine as the randomness of another driver happening to be at the wrong place at the wrong time on the road. There is no excuse for anybody (especially millionares who can easily afford to call a taxi) to drink and drive. Sadly, I have already heard many Cardinal fans excusing LaRussa's actions. Loyalty to a team should not overide a sense of basic right and wrong.

sds416
03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I agree. The difference between "a little over the legal limit" and vehicular manslaughter can be as fine as the randomness of another driver happening to be at the wrong place at the wrong time on the road. There is no excuse for anybody (especially millionares who can easily afford to call a taxi) to drink and drive. Sadly, I have already heard many Cardinal fans excusing LaRussa's actions. Loyalty to a team should not overide a sense of basic right and wrong.

There is simply no excuse. He was intoxicated enough that he fell asleep in the middle of an intersection, which is a clear indication he did not have control of his actions or his vehicle. While it is fortunate in this instance that no was was injured or killed, it could have ended in a tragic fashion.

Anyone charged with this kind of offense deserves neither sympathy or respect.

Elvis
03-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Throw him in jail for 30-90 days. That's what should happen. He'll get off though...they always do. :(

Captain Cold Nose
03-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Throw him in jail for 30-90 days. That's what should happen. He'll get off though...they always do. :(
He'll get off because he wasn't grossly over the legal limit and did not cause any damage. I'm not sure what kind of record Mr. LaRussa has, but the justice system is set up to not severely punish non-habitual offenders for minor offenses. I really don't have a problem with that.
He's lucky nothing happened. But he should not be punished for what could have happened.

Elvis
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
But he should not be punished for what could have happened.

The crime wasn't contingent on whether or not he caused harm. The crime was DWI, not DWIBNBDSNWKTT (Driving while intoxicated but no big deal since nobody was killed this time).

Captain Cold Nose
03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
The crime wasn't contingent on whether or not he caused harm. The crime was DWI, not DWIBNBDSNWKTT (Driving while intoxicated but no big deal since nobody was killed this time).
I know what the crime is. And the punishment is contingent on what happened. And I disagree with you that he should go to jail for that long. You stating that's how long he should go doesn't really mean he should go to jail that long.

hudsonharden
03-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Considering this is his first offense, I don't think much should come of it other than fines and maybe a probation of his license. Like I've said before, a DWI is a mistake anybody can make once. Additionally, he was over the legal limit, though in some states where the limit is 0.1, he would have been legal. If he makes this mistake again, then I think he has a problem. Jail should only be given to drunk drivers when it is a pattern of behavior. Let's hope some good comes out of this. LaRussa gets a lot of respect from players and coaches throughout the league. Maybe if someone like Dontrelle Willis had been warned by someone of the possible risks of driving after a few drinks, he could have avoided his DUI convinction.

Westlake
03-22-2007, 01:17 PM
He'll get off because he wasn't grossly over the legal limit and did not cause any damage. I'm not sure what kind of record Mr. LaRussa has, but the justice system is set up to not severely punish non-habitual offenders for minor offenses. I really don't have a problem with that.
He's lucky nothing happened. But he should not be punished for what could have happened.

Enough to make him pass out while driving his car. That's bad enough.

Elvis
03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Considering this is his first offense, I don't think much should come of it other than fines and maybe a probation of his license. Like I've said before, a DWI is a mistake anybody can make once.

A member of my family was killed by a drunk driver. He had never been arrested for drunk driving before - he received a six month sentence, perhaps too harsh for a first time murderer. You're right: anybody should be allowed to make a mistake once. It's not like there's any danger to anyone. I think tomorrow I'll get a little tipsy and thow some rocks off a high building.

Captain Cold Nose
03-22-2007, 01:25 PM
See, I'm not going to speculate that. He was measured at .093, which is still below the legal limit in many states. I think it's about three drinks or so in an hour. If LaRussa did pass out behind the wheel due to alcoholic intake, I would assume he would have been measured a bit higher. I've dozed off at the wheel before simply because I was tired, people do it all the time. As alcohol is a depressent, it could not have helped, but, from my experience and from having to read up on the subject, that isn't high enough to make an adult under normal circumstances pass out. The police were observing him at the light, so it's not like he was on the side of the road for a few hours.
I'm not positive he didn't pass out due to his alcoholic consumption, but the article did not state he did, either.

Captain Cold Nose
03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
A member of my family was killed by a drunk driver. He had never been arrested for drunk driving before - he received a six month sentence, perhaps too harsh for a first time murderer. You're right: anybody should be allowed to make a mistake once. It's not like there's any danger to anyone. I think tomorrow I'll get a little tipsy and thow some rocks off a high building.
I'm sincerely sorry to hear about that, Elvis, and you're justified to feel the way you feel. I'll leave it at that.

Lindseynelson
03-22-2007, 01:50 PM
A celebrity and an attorney
He must have been gooned

cardsfanatic
03-22-2007, 01:53 PM

I'm certainly not taking up for LaRussa as he used very poor judgment and should certainly be punished for this. However, I'm not sure he was "passed out." I don't know about anyone else but alcohol makes me sleepy. Especially if it's late and I'm tired anyways. If it's around 12-1 in the morning and I've worked all day and I have as little as 2-3 drinks, I'm ready for nap time. He could have just fallen asleep at the wheel which I find more likely than passing out, since his BAC was rather low -- while still being over the legal limit. In college I consumed crazy amounts of alcohol and I have never passed out.

Although, I always had sense enough about me to not drive drunk, too. Which is something I don't get about people who do that. Even when I was absolutely plastered I could still think straight enough to make that decision. My thoughts come to me slower than usual as I had to stop and really think about some things... but in the end, I don't think it impaired my thoughts to the point where I made horrible decisions. I just had to think longer on some stuff.

DodgerBlue8188
03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Considering this is his first offense, I don't think much should come of it other than fines and maybe a probation of his license. Like I've said before, a DWI is a mistake anybody can make once. Additionally, he was over the legal limit, though in some states where the limit is 0.1, he would have been legal. If he makes this mistake again, then I think he has a problem. Jail should only be given to drunk drivers when it is a pattern of behavior. Let's hope some good comes out of this. LaRussa gets a lot of respect from players and coaches throughout the league. Maybe if someone like Dontrelle Willis had been warned by someone of the possible risks of driving after a few drinks, he could have avoided his DUI convinction.

The only way to really cut down on the amount of people who drive drunk is to make the first offense a serious one. As long as people know they have that once get out of jail free pass they will never take it as serious as they should. Make somebody spend a week in jail after their first offense along with a large fine and people might wake up.

Rookie1914
03-22-2007, 03:17 PM

A pattern? This may have been the 1st time he has been CAUGHT. NO EXCUSES!!! If he killed your family member, you wouldn't be saying this. LaRussa's respect you are mentioning has just declined today. Asleep at the wheel...or passed out...GEEZ!!!

Another St. Louid "Leonard Little" in town...

Rookie1914
03-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Who's Corked Now Baby?

-die Hard Cubs Fan

Brownie31
03-22-2007, 03:32 PM

LOL! And good point too!

Brownie31

Old Sweater
03-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Can't stand LaRussa but my guess is a few drinks with something to eat. This combination will get you everytime. 1st offense is just 8 pts. with community service here in Colorado if you get a lawyer.

I would like to see a survey on how many times in the USA that the drinking and driving law gets broke in a day. I know my old watering holes when I use to drink turn out at least 100 a day combined and thats with a cop shop 4 blocks to the north.

Dirt Dog
03-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Not to flip the issue, but if this had been Pujols (or any player on this team or any other team) does anyone think the media, public opinion, baseball fans would have treated this a lot different?

Westlake
03-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Not to flip the issue, but if this had been Pujols (or any player on this team or any other team) does anyone think the media, public opinion, baseball fans would have treated this a lot different?

Of course. Would have been a much bigger deal. But then again, Pujols is a much bigger name nowadays. The bigger the name the more will be made of it... just the way it goes.

rockin500
03-22-2007, 04:50 PM
he made a mistake. it happens. 5 years ago, he wouldnt have been busted as at that time most states were .10. nowadays a majority of states are at .08 which is about 4 beers in an hour at someone of larussa's size.

for those who are saying he should get jail time, get real. first time offenders get their licenses suspended for 3-6 months depending on the state.

I'm kinda impressed though that his mugshot wasnt all that bad. especially compared to Nick Nolte. ;)

Dirt Dog
03-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I forgot to add this...

What would the Cardinal organization do to a player in the same situation. Fine, suspension, both?

Should TLR get the same or harder treatment being the manager?

cardsfanatic
03-22-2007, 05:09 PM

Ok, and on the flip side of things, if this had been you or myself... none of that would even be an issue? I don't understand what the point is. People -- read: regular people -- get off with DWI/DUI and speeding tickets all of the time. I was in court a few months back because a dude broke into my home and assaulted me and I ended up laying him out. They had us sit there through all of the BS traffic trials before our trial took place in closed court.

One of the traffic trials was a dude who was drunk, in flip flops, it was pouring raining outside and he had his 8 year old daughter on the back of the bike holding onto him without a helmet while he was driving a MOTORCYCLE.

The judge let him off with a $100 fine for the child not having a helmet on and time served (2 days) and dropped all of the other charges, like Wanton Endangerment etc... and you want to know why? The judge saw a tape of the sobriety test and remarked "that was one of the best sobreity tests I've ever seen". So, despite the guy blowing well over the legal limit he was let off because he had a quote "good sobriety test."

So, let's put things in perspective at least. LaRussa's celebrity doesn't make him any different than the rest of us. He's flesh and blood too. And people make mistakes. He should take his punishment and move on. But to suggest people should scorn him more or punish him MORE than just "regular joe's" or because he isn't "Albert Pujols" is crazy.

Our society as a whole is way too lenient on alcohol related crimes, IMO. We throw people in prison for marijuanna yet turn around and allow a far worse substance like alcohol which leads to far more crimes and deaths to go without much punishment at all. It's rather crazy.

Yankeebiscuitfan
03-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Inexcusable. Why don't some people realize that they can cause a lot of damage when they get into their car when they're drunk.

Luckily nothing serious happened. Jail is to severe IMO. But he should get a big fine, that's for sure.

Old Sweater
03-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Yep, it was the old eat and wine for Tony LaRussa. (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0322071larussa1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0322071larussa1.html&h=585&w=475&sz=72&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=ofnaUT7US4AP7M:&tbnh=135&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtony%2Blarussa%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1% 26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGIH_enUS213US213%26sa%3DN)

MARCH 22--Meet Tony LaRussa. The manager of the reigning World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals, was arrested early this morning for drunk driving. LaRussa, 62, was popped in Jupiter, Florida, where the team's spring training facility is located. According to Jupiter Police Department reports, LaRussa was found slumped over at the wheel of a Ford SUV that had stopped in a traffic intersection around midnight. After repeated knocks at the window, LaRussa awoke. He told one officer that it had been a "long day" for him and he was returning home from dinner, during which he had "several glasses of wine."

StanTheMan
03-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Completely inexcusable for you, me, or a World Champion.

I am hearing something interesting from some family in St. Louis (including some close to the baseball inner circle - i.e worked for big time agents based in St. Louis), and the same thing from some friends I used to work with in Sports Marketing at Anheuser-Busch that Larussa is considering suspending HIMSELF for some length of time.

For a guy who expects a pretty fair amount of discipline and self control from his players on the field, this looks pretty bad for him -- clubhouse wise -- not to mention public humiliation, legal issues etc.

I would not put it past Larussa to suspend himself, and THAT would send a great message to everyone... especially if we are talking about a legitamate suspension, say 10 games or more.

64Cards
03-22-2007, 07:48 PM
If Tony had about 16 oz. of porterhouse steak in his belly instead of that rabbit food he eats, it would have absorbed the vino and he would have been under the legal limit.

It boggles my mind, with the money that pro athletes make, why they can't hire a driver if they're going out for the evening to do some boozing.

Dirt Dog
03-22-2007, 09:14 PM
I am hearing something interesting from some family in St. Louis (including some close to the baseball inner circle - i.e worked for big time agents based in St. Louis), and the same thing from some friends I used to work with in Sports Marketing at Anheuser-Busch that Larussa is considering suspending HIMSELF for some length of time.

I would not put it past Larussa to suspend himself, and THAT would send a great message to everyone... especially if we are talking about a legitamate suspension, say 10 games or more.

This is what I was thinking earlier. I was wondering if anyone thinks that TLR would inflict any punishment on himself or just make the typical public apology?

I know this is not a baseball example, but I do remember a couple of years ago Temple basketball head coach John Chaney suspended himself for one game for telling players to go in and rough up Saint Joseph's players with very hard fouls.

It would be interesting though.

mlazar
03-22-2007, 09:55 PM
I hope everyone here has learned something.... Vegetarians should not drink...that's the bottom line....

THE OX
03-23-2007, 05:25 AM
I wonder if the fact that LaRussa is also a lawyer got him a little easier time of it with the police (wink, wink!)

Some half-baked accommodation will no doubt be worked out (wink, wink!)

(IMO) Helluva example to set for kids who probably look up to the man, and inexcusable for a 67-year-old who knows he is probably to some extebt a role model.......

Old Sweater
03-23-2007, 06:04 AM
Something is already fishy in this case. If LaRussa only had a .093 blood alcohol content and he couldn't pass none of the sobriety test, couldn't hold either of his feet more then 4 seconds, couldn't recite the alphabet, couldn't touch his nose and couldn't walk the line. Now there is 3 things IMO that is wrong with the .093, their testing was wrong, LaRussa has a very low resistance to alcohol or they better lower the .08 legal limit in the States that have it as a standard. LaRussa is still somewhat active on the field and should have aced that sobriety test if he was a true .093 just .013 over the legal limit.

Dirt Dog
03-23-2007, 07:34 AM
I hope everyone here has learned something.... Vegetarians should not drink...that's the bottom line.... :laugh :D :laugh :D :laugh

Hazy
03-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Completely inexcusable for you, me, or a World Champion.

For a guy who expects a pretty fair amount of discipline and self control from his players on the field, this looks pretty bad for him -- clubhouse wise -- not to mention public humiliation, legal issues etc.

i see where you're going with that idea, but don't you think a lot of players and fans would see it as very self-indulgent and unfair, considering that he's the well-respected manager of the defending world champs? it comes off like "look, i'm suspending MYSELF! that means i know it's wrong, so you can like me again!" the guy made a mistake - whether you forgive him for it or not shouldn't be contingent on how much of a public ordeal he makes about being sorry

personally, i don't feel comfortable making a judgment about the guy, because i don't know him. i'm sure almost everyone here knows someone who's been arrested on a DUI, and i'm sure it wouldn't be an "i'm never speaking to you again" type of thing. yes, it does matter to me whether he's just a guy who doesn't care, or a guy who had a rough night and made a stupid decision. and i don't know which he is, so i'm not passing judgment