PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Fiz and Hud? Where are they?

Dodger_Ric
05-23-2007, 01:46 AM
I noticed Gubiza and Macias did all the Angels spring training games. And then that seemed to stetch through April. Then a while ago, I did catch a game with Fiz and Hud, but now tonight, it's back to Gubiza and Macias. And the "Angels Live" studio team was Hud and Lindsay Soto?

Anyone know what the deal is:confused:

AHaloInSF
05-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I've heard that the broadcasts are switching between Steve and Hud and Jose Mota and Mark Gubicza as a way of breaking in Mota and Gubicza to possibly fill in for Physioc and Hud if they don't re-sign with the Angels broadcast team. I've also heard that the older Angels fans tend to complain a lot about Hud, but I love the guy, grew up listening to his awesome color commentary and think he's a perfect fit with Physioc. I hope Hud isn't going anywhere, but don't be too surprised if Mota and Gubicza are being groomed to fill in for those guys down the road

AHaloInSF
08-15-2007, 04:58 PM
So it appears Fox Sports execs are decidedly indecisive about who they want calling Halos games this season. Physioc and Hudler have always been the best double play combo that this team has had, and Jose Mota and Mark Gubicza were also very solid. Now, "Gubi" has Rory Markas as his sidekick, instead of Mota, who apparently was good enough to call Fox Saturday baseball for a national audience, but not good enough to please Angels fans. Or maybe not good enough to please Fox West brass. Who knows? I think if you gotta tinker with "Phys and Hud" then stick with Mota and Gubicza on TV, as Gubicza makes for great color commentary and Mota has learned the English play-by-play role pretty quickly considering his previous experience was only in Angels radio en espanol. Additionally, Mota seems to be a great fit with a team that wants to broaden its fan base by appealing to a rapidly-growing Latino demographic. Markas is excellent as he brings the game to life visually when you aren't around a TV, and has a classic baseball personality that is best off calling games on the AM dial.

UnderPressure
08-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Jose Mota: "The Ehngels..."

CaliforniaCajun
08-30-2007, 11:40 AM
So it appears Fox Sports execs are decidedly indecisive about who they want calling Halos games this season. Physioc and Hudler have always been the best double play combo that this team has had, and Jose Mota and Mark Gubicza were also very solid. Now, "Gubi" has Rory Markas as his sidekick, instead of Mota, who apparently was good enough to call Fox Saturday baseball for a national audience, but not good enough to please Angels fans. Or maybe not good enough to please Fox West brass. Who knows? I think if you gotta tinker with "Phys and Hud" then stick with Mota and Gubicza on TV, as Gubicza makes for great color commentary and Mota has learned the English play-by-play role pretty quickly considering his previous experience was only in Angels radio en espanol. Additionally, Mota seems to be a great fit with a team that wants to broaden its fan base by appealing to a rapidly-growing Latino demographic. Markas is excellent as he brings the game to life visually when you aren't around a TV, and has a classic baseball personality that is best off calling games on the AM dial.

Agree with you about Markas. He works well with Terry Smith, too.

I like them better than any of the TV announcers, although I like Hudler. Generally speaking, I don't like analysts, but Hudler's enthusiasm is infectious and he's knowledgable.

CaliforniAngels
09-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I think that they ought to have Physioc and Hudler announce the home games and let Mota and Gubicza announce the road games. An easy compromise. As for as if Physioc and Hudler re-signing with he "Serafines", we will have to see what happens in the offseason.

P.S.
Does anyone know what the hell "Serafines" means? Spanish Tv and Radio refer to the Angels as "Los Serafines" occasionally but I got know idea what it is. "Angelitos" is obvious but Serafines is still a mysterry.........

AHaloInSF
09-24-2007, 01:34 AM
"Serafines" literally means "seraphs" which is a synonym for Angels. Obviously calling the team "los angeles" on a Spanish broadcast could lead to some confusion between the team's moniker and alleged location. It was merely done to avoid confusion on the airwaves when someone might say Los Angeles Angeles de Anaheim. That's a mouthful, even en espanol.

CaliforniaCajun
09-27-2007, 08:26 AM
"Serafines" literally means "seraphs" which is a synonym for Angels. Obviously calling the team "los angeles" on a Spanish broadcast could lead to some confusion between the team's moniker and alleged location. It was merely done to avoid confusion on the airwaves when someone might say Los Angeles Angeles de Anaheim. That's a mouthful, even en espanol.

Seraphs was used to refer to the PCL Angels. I guess now they use Halos instead.