PDA

View Full Version : M's, Reds still interested in Bedard

J W
01-08-2008, 02:00 PM
M's, Reds still interested in Bedard (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7650072?MSNHPHMA) - Ken Rosenthal, FOX Sports

The Mariners are continuing their aggressive pursuit of Bedard, major-league sources say, and there are growing indications that the teams could be moving closer to a deal.

The Reds also remain interested in Bedard, but the Mariners are willing to trade their top outfield prospect, Adam Jones, while the Reds will not part with their best minor-league outfielder, Jay Bruce.

The Cleveland Indians are also reported to be interested in both Bedard and Roberts, though Chicago is still in front of the Roberts sweepstakes.

The Mariners also are willing to include catcher Jeff Clement and third baseman Matt Tuiasosopo, sources say. The Orioles, however, might prefer a choice of left-hander Tony Butler, right-hander Chris Tillman and 17-year-old shortstop Carlos Triunfel.

I like Jones and Clement. Who would be best out of the rest here? If Morrow won't be traded, could we get four players out of this deal?

The A's strong returns for right-hander Dan Haren and outfielder Nick Swisher in recent trades seemingly has increased the Orioles' leverage. The addition of Bedard, meanwhile, would give the Mariners a potentially dynamic rotation to compete with the Angels in the American League West.

Thank you Billy Beane! The Mariners may be sensing an opportunity for a two-team race in the AL West now that Oakland may have a down year in '08.

Erik Bedard
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
There's no way Triunfel is coming from the M's, apparently.

If Morrow isn't one of the players in a Bedard deal, I'd say it would have to take Jones, Clement, Tuiasosopo, Tillman, and perhaps one more player.

JohnnyK27
01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
There's no way Triunfel is coming from the M's, apparently.

If Morrow isn't one of the players in a Bedard deal, I'd say it would have to take Jones, Clement, Tuiasosopo, Tillman, and perhaps one more player.

Maybe there is see below!

http://www.prospectinsider.com/

I have it on pretty good authority that the Seattle Mariners and Baltimore Orioles may very well be making significant progress on a trade involving left-hander Erik Bedard.

Unfortunately, if you are an Ms fan, the word is that the Mariners may agree to include Carlos Triunfel in a deal along with Adam Jones, and perhaps one other player (George Sherrill, most likely), due to their stance on trading Brandon Morrow.

I did not get this info from a source directly involved in the talks, but it was relayed to me through a mutual source of one more directly involved.

If the Mariners send Jones, Triunfel and Sherrill to Baltimore and the return is simply Erik Bedard without Brian Roberts or other valuable pieces, the Soriano-Ramirez trade will be buried by this monster of a mistake.

Protecting Morrow as if hes a sure thing is ridiculous. Refusing to include him in the deal as if hes got a good chance to be a frontline starter in 2008 is irresponsible.

But, what else is new? This is not a smart baseball team and this would be yet another blunder as they continue to believe they were an 88-win team last year and are building on the team as a result.

Updates coming as I get them, and Im already making calls to scouts to get reactions to such a deal, should it go through.

Erik Bedard
01-08-2008, 05:32 PM
http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1157202&postcount=689