PDA

View Full Version : BFW Batter-Fielder Wins on Retrosheet

Second Base Coach
06-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Ok, let me guess, the screw up with TPR and Fielding Wins, or just fielding ratings in general carried over to PFW, or Batter-Fielder Wins. This metric is used by Retrosheet, and I can tell you they have some negative numbers which don't make sense.

Anyone want to post a reply, and explain this?

I find it hard to believe PFW is credible, when they assign negative numbers to players who won the MVP award. What is up with that? :shrug:

Come on Pete Palmer fans, step up and help me understand.

Patriot
06-27-2008, 06:46 AM
If you are truly seeking reasoned discussion about this, I would advise cutting the snark level. This reads more like a Red Sox fanboy taunt of the Yankees (or the other way around--I have no dog in that fight) than it does a serious attempt at dialogue on the metric.

Second Base Coach
06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
I will take that as either a:

no, I don't want to explain it to you, or.... uh, I can't defend it either buddy.

That said, does anyone here know the in's and out's of this BFW? Retrosheet seems pretty impressed with it. So much so it looks like one of their top 20 statistics that they have on a player... right up there with RBI and games played. It's all the way over on the right hand side by SLG.

If it is THAT good, then why all the negative numbers for seasons which no doubt came from players which helped their teams win games? And there seems to be a bias AGAINST players who play more each season.

As if 160 games and 600 at-bats works against you. Remember, if guys like that don't play, then the teams must suffer the back-ups. Those awful replacement level players who we can now estimate at, what, a .300 winning percentage?

And I see a lot of positive numbers for partial seasons, with OBPs less than .330 (in the late 1980s).

Can anyone here help me to understand? I am not out to pick a fight... Thanks in advance.