PDA

View Full Version : Longest Home Runs Ever by Ballpark

Xsvfan
03-23-2001, 05:41 PM
Is there a record anywhere of the longest home run hit at each major league ballpark?

Someone asked about the longest ever at Mile High Stadium in Denver (soon to R.I.P. as the Broncos go to the corporate-name-whoring Invesco Field).

Someone also mentioned a 610-foot homer by Harry Heilmann. First I've heard of that.

I'm pretty sure Mickey Mantle holds the records for longest home run at Yankee Stadium, Griffith Stadium in Washington, and possibly also Tiger Stadium in Detroit, Shibe Park in Philadelphia, Sportsman's Park in St. Louis, and the original Comiskey Park in Chicago, though with several homers leaving the confines of those buildings, it's hard to tell. I know Ted Williams has the longest ever IN Fenway Park, but there may have been a homer or two over the Green Monster and out that were longer. And I've heard stories supporting both Williams and Mantle for longest ever at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, while the Indians claim Luke Easter holds that record.

If there's a record of these records anywhere, however close to being definitive, I'd love to see it.

Hugh Duffy
03-23-2001, 07:40 PM
Here is a link that mentions Heilmann's allegade 610 foot homerun.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/baseball/bol/chronology/1921JULY.html#day8

Xsvfan
03-24-2001, 04:44 PM
>Here is a link that mentions
>Heilmann's alleged 610 foot homerun.
>
>
>http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/baseball/bol/chronology/1921JULY.html#day8

That doesn't look all that definitive. I'm gonna need more convincing.

trosmok
08-16-2001, 03:02 PM
Mickey did indeed hit some really long homers, but the record holder for Griffith & Yankee Stadiums, Forbes Field, and the Polo Grounds was Josh Gibson. His ape measure shots against MLB pitchers in the all-star and exhibition games were frequently 600+, the longest being the one out of Yankee Stadium that was estimated to be 630ft.

The Commissioner
08-18-2001, 10:11 PM
Unfortunately, none of these can be officially verified.

bly11
08-19-2001, 01:21 AM
Actually, I believe the Forbes and Griffith shots are documented in a couple of places; not sure about the Yankee Stadium one. Researchers are finding a lot more first-hand accounts of Negro League games these days, as they go back through old newspapers and the like.

vegaswill
08-21-2001, 06:05 AM
Lou Brock, yes that Lou Brock hit a ball into the centerfield bleachers at the Polo Grounds before he was in the Majors. Jackson's homer in Detroit may still be going of it hadn't hit the light tower. Dave Nicholson hit one over the roof which cleared an alley before landing in a softball field outsidr of old Comiskey. That had to be well over 600 feet.

Chisox73
09-23-2001, 09:11 PM
During the 2000 season,Glenallen Hill of the Cubs launched one onto the roof of an apartment building across Waveland Ave.that was measured around 500 feet.Hill claims it was 700 feet.
Dave Kingman hit one that landed about 4 houses up Kenmore Ave.(north of Waveland)against Philadelphia in 1979.I believe that was the game the Cubs lost 23-22.(I guess the wind was blowing out at Wrigley that day.)

trosmok
09-25-2001, 01:47 PM
Tried to edit my earlier reply, but too much time has elapsed. It should read tape measure, sorry Josh. Read an article in an old Sporting News that stated Cecil Fielder was the only player beside Gibson to hit one completely out of Tiger Stadium, although Mickey whacked one off the light stanchion that would have cleared the top.

SHOELESSJOE3
03-07-2002, 11:38 PM
[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-02 AT 10:41 PM (EST)]The problem with trying to determine who hit the longest home run is some of the monster shots from many years ago are seldom metioned. Two of these were shots by Jimmy Foxx and Babe Ruth. Both of these sluggers had several tape measure jobs, here are a few. Foxx hit one ball on to the roof in left field in Comiskey Park and some say he also hit one that cleared the roof at Comiskey. Ruth hit 3 shots that cleared the roof in right field at the Polo Grounds and landed in Manhatten Field across the street on a fly. Some drives because they took place in the years 1916-1919 in the dead ball era. The Home Run Encyclopedia gives an account of one of Ruth's longest drives and one of the longest hit ever. On August 16, 1927 Ruth hit his famous "roof topper" home run at Comiskey Park. The ball was hit over the roof in right field and accross Wentworth avenue. In those days sportswriters would often view the game seated on the roof.On that day there were 15 writers from N.Y, Chicago and other cities and all agreed Ruth's shot never touched the roof and cleared the 52 foot wide roof by a wide margin.
I did see the Glennallen Hill home run at Wrigley that was hit over that high building accross the street. I have several over head and street level views of that building and that was really some shot. One of the longest, highest that I myself have ever seen. I did see many of Mickey Mantle's tape measure jobs and they were some of the longest I have ever seen in my time, too many to mention.

researcher
03-08-2002, 01:23 AM
[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-02 AT 00:28 AM (EST)]No one should concern themselves with the 600 ft+ idea.
The promotional hype about Gibson not getting his shot.
Robinson took it; and Josh died shortly there after. He didn't
600 ft hr's everywhere he played, and he didn't hit 800 hr's,
over fences throughout his careear, playing barnstorm games
against local yokles 1/2 the time.

I doubt if he was much better than Campy, and if he was as good
that would be great.......There has been more bs about Josh Gibson
than any player in the history of the game.

Paige likely would have won 300+ gms; I doubt if "Poor Old Josh"
would have hit 550 hr's; you must understand he couldn't hit Paige,
and most of the games were like playing against class D or lower.
And they played on many fields w/o fences---hit the gap, and the
ball rolls forever.

The ball can only be compressed so much, then friction slows it up.
In normal conditions, its unlikley that many balls were hit over 550'
by anyone: mabe one by Gibson,one by Mantle, Ruth in spring training,
and a couple other players...that's 550' not 600'

trosmok
03-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Au contraire, researcher. Perhaps you could spend more time in the ballpark and less with your nose in a book or glued to a monitor. I have personally witnessed a few 600ft.+ dingers, including Cecil Fielder's and Glenallen Hill's. When the wind is blowing out of Wrigley, 700ft+ is not out of the realm of possibility. Same for old Comiskey, and if the wind didn't swirl so bad by the bay, Candlestick. As far as stating that Gibson's accomplishments are bs, perhaps you should not be so quick to judge. Not all the evidence of his prowess is purely anecdotal, you simply aren't looking in the right places. Babe Ruth was not known as the "White Josh Gibson" for nothing!

Rube
03-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Babe Ruth was not known as "the white Josh Gibson". I have never seen the term used. Considering Ruth retired from the game only 5 years after Gibson began his career, it seems unlikely that such comparisons were made except posthumously and much more likely that the opposite was said, contemporaneously, of Gibson.

researcher
03-15-2002, 05:08 AM
[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-02 AT 04:13 AM (EST)]Rube is correct, Gibson was the Black Babe Ruth...and no one ever
hit a ball 650 ft w/o a tail wind.

You shouldn't believe everything some promotional hypester says
about how far the ball traveled.....and who cares how far it went
in a strong wind.........

I know of a guy who bet he could hit a Golf ball over 600 yds w/o
a wind behind him...and he did it! On a flat surface.

traetzloff
03-15-2002, 04:04 PM
Researcher, there is story about the guy who goes to a frozen lake in Canada and hits the golf ball 3 miles. Probably untrue, but it illustrates the problem with "tape-measure" home runs. The only way to truely measure a home run is to measure where the arc would have come back to earth. On a pop fly it is easy to see that the ball only traveled 300 feet and came back to earth. When the ball leaves the yard it almost always come into contact with something that interferes with the flight of the ball. I disagree that you have to have a tailwind to go 600 feet. Home run contests are just that, contests, but they can give an idea of how to properly measure the distance. In the home run contest at SAFECO last year, at least 2 balls were hit into the upper deck in right-center field. That means that those balls came to rest about 500 feet from home plate and at least 60 feet above ground level. Both shots were past their zenith, but neither was falling rapidly - how far would they have gone if the forward motion had not been stopped? Until somebody comes up with an accurate way to unify the "tape" measurement, we will all continue arguing about who hit the longest shot.

I do know who hit the ball the hardest that I have ever seen. Mark McGwire took a Randy Johnson fastball into the wall at the top of the upper deck in the Kingdome, just below the roof. That ball would easily have traveled 600+ if its progress had not been blocked by the stadium wall. Even Randy admired that one. No ball has ever been hit harder in Seattle.

Tim R

KingStreetSquire
03-15-2002, 04:31 PM
Harmon Killebrew hit the longest ever at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.

researcher
03-16-2002, 05:14 AM
The man who hit the golf ball over a mile was "Titanic Thompson",
and he won a big bet with it. He was a famous oldtime big gambler.

Chisox73
01-16-2005, 12:53 PM
On May 6,1964,White Sox slugger Dave Nicholson hit drove a shot over the left field roof roof at Old Comiskey Park that was estimated at 573 feet.Unofficially,that's believed to be the longest blast ever at Old Comiskey.

yellowdog
01-16-2005, 03:36 PM
I believe the longest home run at Turner Field was hit by Sammy Sosa off Greg Maddux. I'm pretty sure the date was Sept. 1, 2001. I remember it was a Saturday afternoon game, Labor Day weekend because the talk around the stadium that day was the Braves had signed Julio Franco from the Mexican League over night and the old man was in the starting line-up at first base.

But the talk about Franco ended abruptly when Sosa came up in the first inning and took Maddux 471 feet to dead center, a shot that left everyone breathless. The scoreboard said that was the longest HR ever hit there and I'm fairly certain it still is today. I think Bonds hit a couple last year and Piazza hit one that came close but didn't surpass Sosa's blast.

As for the longest ever hit at Fulton County Stadium, I don't know what it would be, but I saw Willie McCovey hit one in 1966 that I can't imagine was ever topped. And it went as high as it did far.

SHOELESSJOE3
01-16-2005, 04:45 PM
On May 6,1964,White Sox slugger Dave Nicholson hit drove a shot over the left field roof roof at Old Comiskey Park that was estimated at 573 feet.Unofficially,that's believed to be the longest blast ever at Old Comiskey.

I don't dispute your post or your source but I could never figure out how anyone can come up with a specific number of feet, such as 573. No doubt a long drive to have cleared the roof but who can measure the exact footage or even within a few feet. Not to knock your post I have seen dozens of other tape measure home runs with what is claimed to be the exact footage, can't be.

Getting back to old Comiskey I have read articles that stated that Ron Kittle and Elston Howard hit home runs that landed on top of the roof in left field. If Nicholson did clear the roof it of course would indicate his was longer.

Always been interested in the history of the tape measure jobs but unfortunately many of Babe Ruth's many long home runs have been lost over the years. I can't say he hit the longest, I doubt we can ever say with certainty who did but Ruth is on that list of some of the longest.

My source is the most accurate source there is when going back in time. The public library, New York Time archives. Accurate because the game recaps are in print the following day of the game, not accounts based on memory subject to exaggeration or just faulty memory.

Getting back to Comiskey. August 16 1927 Ruth hit one out of the park in right field. In those days some reporters would have a perch on the grandstand roof to view the game. On that day Ruth hit a drive that cleared the 52 foot wide roof and landed on the other side of Wentworth Avenue. Those reporters, at least a dozen of them stated the ball never touched the roof.

Ruth's last home run number 714 was hit over the roof at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh.I mention these two by Ruth because it's obvious that they had to be long because they cleared those roofs. In those archives I found many others that were hit to the power alleys and dead center. Ruth hit at least 3 into the center field bleaches at Yankee Stadium at the 487 foot marker. At least 6 into the center field bleachers at Detroit at the 455 foot marker. One of his home runs in Yankee Stadium landed a dozen rows of seats from the scoreboard in right center field. While with the Red Sox he hit one home run to dead center at the 488 foot marker. Obviously those CF home runs had to be close to 500 feet to clear the wall at that point.

Again we can never be sure who hit the longest but interesting to get into this subject and read about all those long, long home runs.

BTW of all the one's I've seen, this may not be the longest but had me rubbing my eyes, what a shot. Glenallen Hill at Wrigley, not only long but high, very high. I don't recall if it landed on the roof of a building accross the street but I know it struck that building near the top.

POLO GROUNDS 1957
01-16-2005, 10:14 PM
HELLO LOU BROCK OF THE CHICAGO CUBS HIT A HOMERUN IN THE CENTERFIELD BLEACHERS AT THE POLO GROUNDS IN A 1ST GAME OF A DOUBLEHEADER AGAINST THE NEW YORK METS ON 6-17-1962 and on 6-18-1962 hank AARON of the braves also hit a homerun in the centerfield bleachers a day after brock hit his. JOE ADCOCK HIT one in the centerfield bleacher at the polo grounds in 1953 also. TAKE CARE DONALD DETROIT MI :waving :clapping

Chisox73
01-17-2005, 05:15 PM
I don't dispute your post or your source but I could never figure out how anyone can come up with a specific number of feet, such as 573. No doubt a long drive to have cleared the roof but who can measure the exact footage or even within a few feet. Not to knock your post I have seen dozens of other tape measure home runs with what is claimed to be the exact footage, can't be.

Getting back to old Comiskey I have read articles that stated that Ron Kittle and Elston Howard hit home runs that landed on top of the roof in left field. If Nicholson did clear the roof it of course would indicate his was longer.

Always been interested in the history of the tape measure jobs but unfortunately many of Babe Ruth's many long home runs have been lost over the years. I can't say he hit the longest, I doubt we can ever say with certainty who did but Ruth is on that list of some of the longest.

My source is the most accurate source there is when going back in time. The public library, New York Time archives. Accurate because the game recaps are in print the following day of the game, not accounts based on memory subject to exaggeration or just faulty memory.

Getting back to Comiskey. August 16 1927 Ruth hit one out of the park in right field. In those days some reporters would have a perch on the grandstand roof to view the game. On that day Ruth hit a drive that cleared the 52 foot wide roof and landed on the other side of Wentworth Avenue. Those reporters, at least a dozen of them stated the ball never touched the roof.

Ruth's last home run number 714 was hit over the roof at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh.I mention these two by Ruth because it's obvious that they had to be long because they cleared those roofs. In those archives I found many others that were hit to the power alleys and dead center. Ruth hit at least 3 into the center field bleaches at Yankee Stadium at the 487 foot marker. At least 6 into the center field bleachers at Detroit at the 455 foot marker. One of his home runs in Yankee Stadium landed a dozen rows of seats from the scoreboard in right center field. While with the Red Sox he hit one home run to dead center at the 488 foot marker. Obviously those CF home runs had to be close to 500 feet to clear the wall at that point.

Again we can never be sure who hit the longest but interesting to get into this subject and read about all those long, long home runs.

BTW of all the one's I've seen, this may not be the longest but had me rubbing my eyes, what a shot. Glenallen Hill at Wrigley, not only long but high, very high. I don't recall if it landed on the roof of a building accross the street but I know it struck that building near the top.

I totally understand where you are coming from about Nicholson's 1964 blast.Back then,there really was no definate way to measure tape measure balsts.There was actual doubt whether or not Nicholson's blast actually cleard the roof on the fly.Some believe it scraped the back of the roof,then went into the park beyond left field.

The was an instance in 1970 where White Sox 3B Bill Melton was not given credit for a roof top blast.According to many,Melton's blast landed in a gutter on the edge of the roof.There is really no footage of that,because the Channel 32 cameras at the time could not pan up that high,and all that was seen was the few patrons in the left field upper deck point up.

In 1983,the field was moved up 8 feet top accomodate hitters.Thus the barrage of rooftop blasts from Ron Kittle.In later years,Greg Luzinski,Carlton Fisk,and George Bell have found the left field roof.Bell's blast came the day after he parked a 500-foot shot in the center field bleachers,one of only about a half-dozen ever at Comiskey.

SHOELESSJOE3
01-17-2005, 08:49 PM
More from the book "The home Run Encyclopedia" in a section titled Long- Distance Home Runs, by baseball historian William J. Jenkinson. Jenkinson is noted for his research in particular on the long home runs in the history of the game.

Just a small number from that book.

Ruth's "roof topper" clearing the roof in RF Comiskey park 1927.

Lou Gehrig in that same season hits one that just makes the roof in RF at Comiskey.

Cecil Fielder clears the LF bleachers at Milwaukees County Stadium Sept. 14, 1991.

Mantle's home run at Griffith April 17, 1953. Credited by many at 565 feet but some dispute that distance saying that is not where the ball actually touched ground. Still, no ball had ever left the park at that point and most agree it was one of the longest ever at Griffith.

Mantle's "roof topper" that landed on the roof in right center field at Detroit, Sept. 10, 1960.

Dick Allen Hits the roof facade at Detroit in deep left center, July 6, 1974. Distance to facade estimated at 415 feet and 85 feet high.

Jimmie Foxx clears the roof in LF at Comiskey. supposedly the only time a hitter has "cleared" the roof in LF.

Frank Howard reached the upper deck 24 times at Washiigton's R.F.K Stadium from the left field line to straight away center field.

Dick Allen credited with clearing the 75 foot high LF grandstand at Philadelphia's Connie Mack Stadium 18 times.

Cecil Fielder credited with hitting more than a few that reached the roof at Detroit's Tiger Stadium.

Aegis
01-17-2005, 10:33 PM
According to BaseballLibrary.com (no official date given, unfortunately) Jim Thome hit a 511-foot shot at Jacobs Field once, setting a record not only for that stadium but for any and every stadium in Cleveland.

tmorss9
01-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Read an article in an old Sporting News that stated Cecil Fielder was the only player beside Gibson to hit one completely out of Tiger Stadium, although Mickey whacked one off the light stanchion that would have cleared the top.

Actually, lots of guys have popped one out of Tiger Stadium, more out to right field that left. Killebrew, Frank Howard, Kirk Gibson and Jason Tompson are some that come to mind right off the top of my head.

west coast orange and black
01-18-2005, 09:52 AM
I know of a guy who bet he could hit a Golf ball over 600 yds w/o a wind behind him...and he did it! On a flat surface.
does jim rice (yeah, that one) still own the record for "golf ball farthest hit"?
i believe that he traveled north to an ice/icy region and whacked one that finally came to rest after some crazy, headshaking distance.

Chisox73
01-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Actually, lots of guys have popped one out of Tiger Stadium, more out to right field that left. Killebrew, Frank Howard, Kirk Gibson and Jason Tompson are some that come to mind right off the top of my head.
Wasn't the last Tiger Stadium homer a right field roof shot?

Chisox73
01-18-2005, 01:03 PM
On August 30,2004,White Sox outfielder Joe Borchard hit a 504-foot shot off Phildelphia's Brett Myters for the longest home run ever at Chicago's US Cellular Field.

The previous record belonged to Frank Thomas,who hit a 495-foot bomb of Minnesota's Johan Santana on July,23,2002.

Oakland's Eric Chavez has the park's longest home run by an opponent,when he drove a Gary Glover pitch 490 feet on April 26,2001.

SHOELESSJOE3
01-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Mickey did indeed hit some really long homers, but the record holder for Griffith & Yankee Stadiums, Forbes Field, and the Polo Grounds was Josh Gibson. His tape measure shots against MLB pitchers in the all-star and exhibition games were frequently 600+, the longest being the one out of Yankee Stadium that was estimated to be 630ft.

While none of those can be verified, the following can as they appeared in print the very day after they occured.

First you mention Griffith stadium. There was Mantle's, whether it was 565 feet can be disputed but it was the only known ball to leave the park at that point in left center field. Some say it skimmed the top of the wall, maybe so but it did leave the park.

In July of 1927 Babe Ruth hit a home run just to the right of dead center about a dozen rows from the back wall.

Forbes Field I can't say who hit the longest but how could Gibson top Ruth's home run there in 1935. It cleared the roof in right field, never done before that time. How much further can anyone hit a ball other than clearing the roof, out of the park.

Yankee Stadium there was Mantle's ball that almost made the roof. Ruth hit at least 3 home runs into the CF bleachers over the 487 mark.

Foxx and Frank Howard hit some monster shots in the upper deck in left field at Yankee Stadium a section very seldom reached at that park.

Polo Grounds Aaron, Brock and Adcock reached the center field bleachers. Actually there are no bleachers in dead center only the club house wall 483 feet away, never reached by any hitter. These 3 home runs hd to be to the left or right of dead center, still very long home runs.

Joe Jackson hit one over the roof at the Polo Grounds and Ruth is credited with at least 6 over the roof in right field.

I don't dispute the fact that Josh a powerful man may have hit some of the longest but how do we know how long,very little write ups on black baseball. Most events passed on over the years with little or no verification

Hammerin Hank
02-08-2005, 12:31 AM
During the 2000 season,Glenallen Hill of the Cubs launched one onto the roof of an apartment building across Waveland Ave.that was measured around 500 feet.Hill claims it was 700 feet.
Dave Kingman hit one that landed about 4 houses up Kenmore Ave.(north of Waveland)against Philadelphia in 1979.I believe that was the game the Cubs lost 23-22.(I guess the wind was blowing out at Wrigley that day.)

Sammy hit one two years ago measured about ten feet farther than that of Kingman's and is claimed to be the longest ever hit out of Wrigley.

SHOELESSJOE3
02-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Sammy hit one two years ago measured about ten feet farther than that of Kingman's and is claimed to be the longest ever hit out of Wrigley.

I respect your post, I am sure you only post what you read at some source. Still hard to believe that anyone could actually, accurately determine that two balls were hit and one was hit 10 feet further than the other.

How would anyone ever know the exact spot where both balls first landed?

RuthMayBond
02-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Dave Kingman hit one that landed about 4 houses up Kenmore Ave.(north of Waveland)against Philadelphia in 1979.I believe that was the game the Cubs lost 23-22.(I guess the wind was blowing out at Wrigley that day.)The Cubs were involved in a 23-22 game on 5/17/1979, but I have Kingman's HR (630 feet) as being on 4/14/1976.

RuthMayBond
02-08-2005, 07:51 AM
According to BaseballLibrary.com (no official date given, unfortunately) Jim Thome hit a 511-foot shot at Jacobs Field once, setting a record not only for that stadium but for any and every stadium in Cleveland.That would be 7/3/1999

02-08-2005, 07:57 AM
giants programmers had a bit of tape a few years back of a broken window high on the brick warehouse across the street from oriole park. the ball was not pulled. the culprit: barry bonds.

RuthMayBond
02-08-2005, 08:01 AM
giants programmers had a bit of tape a few years back of a broken window high on the brick warehouse across the street from oriole park. the ball was not pulled. the culprit: barry bonds.Yeah, baby :eek: :waving :clapping :dance

janduscframe
02-08-2005, 10:04 AM
In Herb Carneal's book, he states that a rec director from a local prison measured and figured out all of the arcs and angles and projections at the Met. He claims Metropolitan stadium was the first stadium to actually give a true measurement to a homer instead of a guess or guesstimate.
Can one take this as Gospel? I really don't know..

RuthMayBond
02-08-2005, 10:20 AM
In Herb Carneal's book, he states that a rec director from a local prison measured and figured out all of the arcs and angles and projections at the Met. He claims Metropolitan stadium was the first stadium to actually give a true measurement to a homer instead of a guess or guesstimate.
Can one take this as Gospel? I really don't know..As long as it's talking about where the ball actually came down, not where they estimate it would have if nothing was in the way. You have varying wind, varying amount of force from the bat and varying angles the ball could have come in at.

Donnybrook @ Second base
02-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Tommie Agee hit one to the upperdeck @ Shea in fair territory, that has to be the longest. People speculate about Straw and Mo Vaughns scoreboard shots, but an upperdecker in fair territory @ Shea is a monster shot.

Aegis
02-08-2005, 12:24 PM
That would be 7/3/1999

Thank you much.

RuthMayBond
02-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I've read of these "measured" HRs. Documented corrections are welcome.

Baltimore Memorial 5/8/66 541' FrRobinson
Braves Field 9/7/51 500' MIrvin
Busch 5/16/98 545' McGwire
Candlestick 9/16/66 500' McCovey
Cleveland Municipal 6/23/50 477' LEaster
Comiskey1 5/6/64 573'? DNicholson
Comiskey2 8/30/04 504' JBorchard
Fenway 6/23/01 501' MRamirez
Griffith 4/17/53 565'? Mantle
Jacobs 7/3/99 511' Thome
KC Municipal 5/29/55 500' Doby
Kingdome 6/24/97 538' McGwire
Milwaukee County 9/14/91 528' CFielder
Olympic 5/20/78 535' Stargell
Pro Player 5/31/97 529' Galarraga
Tiger 9/10/60 634'? Mantle
Veteran 5/29/65 529' DAllen
Wrigley 4/14/76 630'? DKingman
Yankee 4/17/56 500'+ Mantle

Hammerin Hank
02-08-2005, 01:57 PM
I respect your post, I am sure you only post what you read at some source. Still hard to believe that anyone could actually, accurately determine that two balls were hit and one was hit 10 feet further than the other.

There are people who stand out there on the street waiting for homerun balls. There's a thread in the Cubs forum discussing this event. I'll dig it up.

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=9080

I was standing in the crosswalk when Sammy blasted that one. Came right at me, well, actually right over me. I turned and ran down Kenmore, saw where it hit the street, and followed the bounce over the car into somebody's front yard where I dove on it and just laid on the ground and listened to the roar of the crowd. Local TV measured it at 536' 2".

I've got some pictures on my website www.ballhawk.com as well as a more detailed play-by-play on my blog www.ballhawk.com/wc.htm.

Seeing that ball rise up in the night was one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen...

RuthMayBond
02-08-2005, 02:02 PM
There are people who stand out there on the street waiting for homerun balls. There's a thread in the Cubs forum discussing this event. I'll dig it up.

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=9080I read an article in Sports illustrated about thirty years ago. That is what got me started in Cleveland and other parts

stevethesoxfan
02-22-2005, 09:30 PM
In Fenway, there is the red seat in the RF bleachers that signifies Ted Williams 502' HR in 1946. Rumor has it that others have gone farther but the Red Sox protect Ted's legacy. Manny Ramirez hit a 501' (one ft shorter!?!?) bomb high off a light tower in LF. Jim Rice hit a titanic shot over everything in center. Carl Yastrzemski is the only person to ever hit the grandstand facade in RF - the ball was still going up when it hit. He just missed becoming the first to ever hit one out of Fenway to right.

Fenway24
03-12-2005, 03:41 PM
BELIEVE IT OR NOT!
According to The New Baseball Catalog, the longest four-bagger ever was by Ernie Lombard, 1930s Cincinatti catcher. He hit it over the center field fence and the ball landed in a truck that carried it 30 miles.

BoSox Rule
03-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Fenway
1. Williams, 502 (red seat, of course)
2. Ramirez, 501

SHOELESSJOE3
03-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Lets be real here. How could they possibly determine that one ball went one foot longer than another. Was a fan sitting right there, exactly where Manny hit that ball. Thats cutting it kind of thin to say the least. Lets just say they were hit in the same neighborhood, thats the only logical answer.

Paulmcall
03-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Norm Cash holds the record for the most homers hit out of Tiger Stadium.

CZzyzx41
03-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Well I can give only what I know of San Diego. In 1998 McGwire reached the upper Loge level (just below upper deck) in dead center. Bonds also hit the jumbotron in Qualcomm Stadium a couple years ago and people said that was the longest they'd ever seen even with some of the blasts Dave Kingman hit.
At PETCO so far the longest ball I've seen hit was Khalil Greene's Foul Ball that landed on the Roof of the Western Metal Building in that game against the Cubs where they Pads wore the 1984 Home Jerseys. Plenty of time for other players to clear that thing though.

redlegsfan21
03-22-2005, 06:26 PM
According to The New Baseball Catalog, the longest four-bagger ever was by Ernie Lombard, 1930s Cincinatti catcher. He hit it over the center field fence and the ball landed in a truck that carried it 30 miles.
I read about that once. I believe it was on Reds trivia on FSN. Dunn holds the record for the longest in GABP. I believe it was 505 ft.

Bleacherbee
03-23-2005, 08:55 AM
The longest ever at Comerica was 453 feet by Chipper Jones... I remember because it was the next game after Eric Munson hit a 451 shot to (almost) the exact same place.

Also, it was a miserable, rainy game and one of the few times I left before the end.

Babe Ruth supposedly hit a 626 foot HR at Tiger Stadium, but that seems more myth than truth.

rockin500
03-23-2005, 09:44 AM

ONe of the surveying classes a few years ago took shots at Miller Park and measurements all over the outfield. and after they got all those shots, they are able to interpolate to get the measurement.

and sammy's shot was 520 feet. it also went 4 houses down Kenmore.

RuthMayBond
03-23-2005, 10:52 AM
I read about that once. I believe it was on Reds trivia on FSN. Dunn holds the record for the longest in GABP. I believe it was 505 ft.I'd appreciate it if you have the date for it

michael_cochrane
03-26-2005, 11:06 AM
My Father and I attended a Tigers game in 1999 vs. The White Sox. I wanted to see a game there before they tore down the stadium. Chicago won the game 12-4, however, there was one memorable moment for the Home Team.
We witnessed the longest Home Run I've ever seen when Karim Garcia crushed a ball OVER the Right Field Roof! It left the stadium so fast that the Jumbo Screen had to replay it for the fans to view the ball clearing the roof by 20 feet (over a flag pole)! My estimate would be 550+.
Does anyone else have any information or remember this HR?

Mike in El Paso, TX

POLO GROUNDS 1957
03-26-2005, 04:44 PM
My Father and I attended a Tigers game in 1999 vs. The White Sox. I wanted to see a game there before they tore down the stadium. Chicago won the game 12-4, however, there was one memorable moment for the Home Team.
We witnessed the longest Home Run I've ever seen when Karim Garcia crushed a ball OVER the Right Field Roof! It left the stadium so fast that the Jumbo Screen had to replay it for the fans to view the ball clearing the roof by 20 feet (over a flag pole)! My estimate would be 550+.

Mike in El Paso, TX
HELLO. just wanted to let you know that tiger stadium is still standing, they did not tear it down DONALD DETROIT MI

RuthMayBond
03-28-2005, 09:49 AM

Mike in El Paso, TXAre you sure this was a Det-Chi game in 1999, with a score of 12-4?

MrMike98
03-28-2005, 02:17 PM
With respect to the talk of Nicholson's shot out of Comiskey, it was speculated that the Sox went to great efforts to find a way to top Mantle's 1953 blast in Washington. Hence the 573 feet!

RuthMayBond
03-28-2005, 02:21 PM
With respect to the talk of Nicholson's shot out of Comiskey, it was speculated that the Sox went to great efforts to find a way to top Mantle's 1953 blast in Washington. Hence the 573 feet!It was also speculated that the Yanks went to great efforts to get Mantle 565 feet :D

03-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Yeah, baby :eek: :waving :clapping :dance
for the record, the window waaaaaaay out there and waaaaaaay up there was broken during bp.

elmer
01-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Yankee Stadium Fischer facade hr. 550'
Aug. 23, 1956 - his homer hits the 20th row in left field's 3rd deck. 545'
Municipal, KC 500' to CF near outer corner. Another hits top of scoreboard
in RC. 480-490' if unimpeded. Another in the same game landed in the opening of 21st st. just beyond Brooklyn Ave. 495-515'
Cleveland Municipal 475 to RF upper deck
Briggs-Tiger Stad. hit cab co against 20 mph wind 475 feet away
30 feet off the ground. Ball hit directly against stiff breeze 12-15mph easily. Est. 500' without wind 535'
July '56, Hits line drive 4 rows from top of bleacher upper deck in very deep RC
est. 520 feet. Landing spot was indicated on a photo by Paul Foytack. Was in bullpen at the time
and said homer was a line drive.
Hit ball that ended up in Lumber mill across street. It bounced over the roof. 485' feet.
Comiskey Park. Hit screamer off Billy Pierce high in Upper Deck in Left near the last row,
probably 480' if unimpeded.
another lands in the RC upper deck-last section halfway up, 445' from home plate 44 feet above
playing field. In 1961 during BP Mickey hit one over the RC light tower 440' from home and 140
feet high; this ball would have traveled 525' then another that hits the top of the 80 foot high CF
scoreboard above the bleachers, == 528'
Fenway Park, hit LF light tower 35' above Green Monster still going up over - 490'
Fenway park 9/21/1956. Hits back wall above section 36 480-487 feet distant. 510'
Shibe Park, Connie Mack Stadium- Shot to deep LC over roof lands on
house across street 500 feet from home plate. est 520'
Griffith Stadium. Home run on opening day '56 lands on house 520' from Home Plate. est. 530'
Sportsmans Park hit porch roof 20' above ground across street
in deep left field. 499' from home plate. Est. 512'.
Forbes field home run over corner in deep right field lands on back of
roof 450' from home plate, est. 505' - 510 feet
Ebbets Field=World Series HR est 460' = upper deck in deep LC
Anaheim - to Left Field 462 feet
Oct. 1960 hit high over 436' mark at Forbes in WS 495'
Memorial Stad. Baltimore - 462 feet to dead center over hedge
also another 5 rows from top of RC bleachers est. unimpeded 475'.

Bovard Field at USC Left-handed clears fence in RC and width of football field 548-550 feet.
Right-handed Clears road and 3 houses up street perpendicular to park. Ball lands on 4th house roof, a 2 story house-
530' from Home plate. Est. 550'.
Holman Field, Vero Beach Fl. In the spring of '61 Mickey clears the RC fence and a tree line well beyond
Don Demeter in CF says he knew it would clear the trees as soon as Mickey hit it. 500'
Doubleday Field, West Point, NY. Mickey hits one over the fence the road and 50' high Cullum Hall a blast
of at least 500' - 525'.
Swayne Field, Toledo, Ohio in Aug. '51 Mickey hit a ball "200 feet high" over a light tower that lands
behind a gas station across the road well out into a field. the back of the gas station is 470' from home plate.
Huggins=Stengel Field in St. Petersburg Fl. Mickey hit into Crescent Lake minimally 485'
from home.
Al Lang Field. St. Petersburg Hit opposite field home run into Tampa Bay over straight left field; 500'
Miami Stadium. Over Center Field Wall deep into parking lot 500+ feet
Al Lang Field Spring 1956'. Mickey's longest HR vs. the Cards Larry Jackson. Hi over CF fence Witness marked spot. 567'
homer becomes legend and is known as the "Fountain of Youth" home run.

DevilRays1969
02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Eddie Matthews hit the longest HR at the Astrodome--there was a seat in the LF upper deck with a toy cannon painted on it to commemorate it.

I've been looking for the longest HR at Tropicana Field--Vinny Castilla hit a 478-foot shot in 2001 although I'd heard Jonny Gomes hit one longer within the last couple of years. Also I was at a Rays game in 2005 vs. Boston and Ortiz hit two over the last catwalk that landed near the top of the RF bleachers. Those have to be right up there.

Not to get off topic but this begs the question--how do you measure a HR that hits the catwalk? Project the distance it would have traveled unobstructed?

PeteU
02-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Harmon Killebrew hit the longest ever at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.

Killebrew's homerun was the longest distance-wise. I believe he hit it to center field.

Now, the only player to clear the bleachers in Memorial Stadium was Frank Robinson. They put up a flag that said "Here" to mark where the ball left the park. But I believe Frank's homerun was slightly shorter than Killebrews.

Williamsburg2599
02-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Eddie Matthews hit the longest HR at the Astrodome--there was a seat in the LF upper deck with a toy cannon painted on it to commemorate it.

That is untill someone figures out how far Mike Schmidt's HR in '74 would of went if it didn't hit the PA speaker.

StanTheMan
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM
How about posting some photos of where KNOWN longest HR's landed? I suppose some speculative ones would be nice, too, at least a photo would give us all some perspective.

I know the longest at old Busch hit the St. Louis Post Dispatch sign, which I outlined below by a PURPLE BOX just left of center, and just underneath the upper deck. I have haerd anything from 505 (as previosly posted) up to 545 or so for this collossal shot. The Center field fence reads 404, to give you some perspecitve....

It has been said that either McGwire, or the ball, was juiced that day.... but I would not be surprised if the ball was also juiced. Remember, this was 1998.

http://bsmith569.photosite.com/~photos/tn/8224839_1024.ts1170454293000.jpg

Williamsburg2599
02-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Ted Williams' Red Seat shot:
http://www.hittrackeronline.com/historic/williams_red_seat.jpg
Anybody who's been to Fenway knows that is a long, long, long, long way away. I wish I could find out if anybody has video of it....:
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/mlb/2002/0705/photo/a_redrose_i.jpg

StanTheMan
02-02-2007, 06:49 PM

Micky Mantle was ridiculous..... Photos from themick.com. The guy could hit them completely out of just about every stadium he ever played in, and from EITHER side of the plate.

The famous Griffith Stadium 565 footer.

StanTheMan
02-02-2007, 06:51 PM

And this one... at Yankee Stadium... well, I was there in 2004 with my son, who was 8 or 9 at the time. I pointed to the spot on the facade where Mickey hit this one, and he still does not believe it.

VIBaseball
02-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a pic with the full perspective, so I have to describe it. Tommie Agee's shot into the left-field upper deck in Shea Stadium was unusual not only because of its great height but also because there's very little fair territory between the pole and the edge of the seats.

StanTheMan
02-03-2007, 05:56 AM
Glenallen Hill's Rooftop Homer at Wrigley..... May 12, 2000.

The kid holding the ball is Rick Frohock. He caught the ball, an this AP photo shows exactly where the rooftop in question is located. Very much down the left field line, but out of the park, across a street, and still high enough to be on the roof of a 2, 3 story building???? (really 3 1/2 with the roof additions for the fans).... a LONG way.

StanTheMan
02-03-2007, 06:03 AM
A chart from Hit Tracker on the Hill homer. Looks like Mr Frohock was 54 feet in the air when he caught the ball.

elmer
02-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Mickey Mantle hit a home run in Detroit that Paul Foytack states was a LINE DRIVE. His vantage point at
that moment was the CF bullpen. Mr. Foytack stated the ball would probably have traveled
about 50' further if it had not been impeded by the 4th row from the top
of the very deep RCF upper deck of bleachers. the ball hit that row 470' from home plate
55' above the ground.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=5129485&sourceid=0100000030660805302498
http://www.amazon.com/Year-Babe-Ruth-Home-Runs/dp/0786719060

an estimate will be given for every Major League home run Ruth ever hit
accurate to within 10 feet.
in the new book at this site.

02-07-2007, 01:53 PM
traetzloff: the guy who goes to a frozen lake in Canada and hits the golf ball 3 miles

jim rice once hit one for miles, but i do not recall the distance.
he was flown up north by a golfball manufacturer to do the promotion stunt.

02-07-2007, 01:58 PM
rmb: Candlestick 9/16/66 500' McCovey

i saw stretch's upper deck shot.
i do believe that giantsland co-mod ken also was there that game! :eek:

Mad Guru
02-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I'd appreciate it if you have the date for it

August 10, 2004. Can watch it on my blog at dunnreal.blogspot.com

BigStellyPADRES4LIFE
02-08-2007, 01:43 AM
As long as it's talking about where the ball actually came down, not where they estimate it would have if nothing was in the way. You have varying wind, varying amount of force from the bat and varying angles the ball could have come in at.

Very true, if anyone would like here, (I studied to be an aerospace engineer for a while(until i changed to electrical) and did alot of experiments/studying on projectiles) i could give ideas of how hard a ball would have to be hit off a bat to travel distances of 500+ feet.

PeteU
02-08-2007, 07:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Baltimore_Memorial_Stadium_here1.JPG

A diagram of Frank Robinson's moonshot at Memorial Stadium, the only home run to ever clear the bleachers at that park:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Baltimore_Memorial_Stadium_here1.JPG

KHenry14
02-08-2007, 11:14 AM
rmb: Candlestick 9/16/66 500' McCovey

i saw stretch's upper deck shot.
i do believe that giantsland co-mod ken also was there that game! :eek:

Yes I was Tony!

The thing about McCovey was not only that he crushed the ball, with that long swing of his he looked like was going to hit it to the moon, not just out of the park!

02-08-2007, 12:08 PM
has anyone ever gone up to the exact location of where one of these longest homers landed and be amazed at the distance to home plate?
to see home plate from upper deck candlestick you need binocs.

RuthMayBond
02-08-2007, 12:11 PM
has anyone ever gone up to the exact location of where one of these longest homers landed and be amazed at the distance to home plate?
to see home plate from upper deck candlestick you need binocs.I'm surprised an eagle-eyed guy who can call the exact seat where a foul ball will land needs binocs ;)

02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
^^ well, the seat is easier to spot from below than the dish from above. heh-heh.

"that's you, man!," yelled while blocking the dude to the right.

elmer
02-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Xxxxxxxxxx

Williamsburg2599
02-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Can anybody here find out how far Schmidt's Home run in 1974 at the astrodome would of went? It hit a speaker 117' above the field! I can't find a video of it, but I'm still looking...

elmer
03-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Mickey was sent to the minors after a prolonged slump
in '51. Just before his return he hit a long homer at
Swayne Field in Toledo against the Mud Hens. It soared
"200 feet" high over a light tower in right, over Detroit Avenue and
over a gas station, the back of which was 475' from home plate,
landing well out into a field behind the gas station. This could
be his longest ever.
He hit one at Pittsburgh in the '60 series that measured 478'
to where it bounced off the top of a tree caroming to the ground outside
Right Center field beyond the 436' mark. This was a true 500 foot
home run but measured only to the tree or point on the ground the ball hit.
In the same series at Pittsburgn Mickey also hit a "screamer" of
a line drive that he says was hit harder. It landed in the RF bleachers
well up and well back.
In a '53 Exhibition game he hit one over the Right Field roof - est. 510-515 feet.
In the spring of '56 Mickey hits a batting practice shot, farther than anyone has ever
seen even Mickey hit one, at Al Lang Field over center field fence landing near
a fountain in a park 567' from home plate.
In '61 at Holman Stadium he amazes the Dodgers with a 500 footer over
the bank and trees beyond Right Center.
In '61 at West Point's Doubleday Field, He hit a righty bomb over a road and 50 high Cullum Hall, at least 500' during BP
His "documented" Sep. 10, 1960 home run in the Brooks Lumber Yard
At Griffith Mickey hit a ball that landed on the Front of the 2014 5th street apt. house. This one is measured
at 531 feet. On two separate occasions Mickey hit nearly identically hit homers high over the scoreboard an alley, backyard and houses to U street measuring about the same as the one to 2014 5th street.
At Fenway in Sept. of '56 his high line drive 10" from the top of the wall just to the right of center would have traveled an estimated 480 feet. Without the obstructing wall, 508' - 515'.
Mickey's 2nd longest at Comiskey went into the access ramps above the CF bleachers a homer of about 480' unimpeded.
In '61 Mickey hit two batting practice homers there that would have traveled between 530 and 540 feet. hitting the top of
the center field scoreboard 480' feet from home and the other over the RC field light tower that is 65' above the 75 foot high roof.
On June 26, 1958 during batting practice Mickey hit 3 balls over the 52' deep roof from right to right center, a feat previously accomplished only by Babe Ruth in a regular season game. In 1961 during another BP session he hit 6 over the same roof.
Shibe Park a home run, in July of '53, landed on a row house across the street from deep LC. unimpeded, this ball would travel
525'.
In Kansas City his '61 blast off the top of the scoreboard in RC is estimated at 500' but more likely would have traveled
about 515'. He also hit two that landed 35' above the playing field on Brooklyn Ave. that only a handful of others equaled.
A batting practice shot went across Brooklyn Ave. in right, landing on a porch roof. Est. 523'.
He hit a right handed rocket that struck the light tower in LF at Fenway 35' above the wall that was a potential 500 footer.
In a homer hitting contest at the Polo Grounds Mickey loses to Willie Mays, but his only homer in 6 swings was hit right-handed
over the left field roof.

SHOELESSJOE3
03-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Mickey was sent to the minors after a prolonged slump
in '51. Just before his return he hit a long homer at
Swayne Field in Toledo against the Mud Hens. It soared
"200 feet" high over a light tower in right, over Detroit Avenue and
over a gas station, the back of which was 475' from home plate,
landing well out into a field behind the gas station. This could
be his longest ever,

He hit one at Pittsburgh in the '60 series that measured 478'
to where it bounced off the top of a tree caroming to the ground outside
Right Center field beyond the 436' mark. This was a true 500 foot
job measured only to the tree.
In the same series at Pittsburgn Mickey also hit a "screamer" of
a line drive that he says was hit harder. It landed in the RF bleachers
well up and well back.

His "documented" Sep. 10, 1960 home run in the Brooks Lumber Yard
in Detroit may have gone at the point indicated by the employee and
was indeed a colossal home run of epic proportion. At minimum,
it went a distance of about 520' and possibly as much as 543-550'. landing either
in the road and bouncing through a small driveway opening, (which would have directed
the ball in to a spot it did not end up), or landing on a building on the far side of Trumbull then into the yard.
According to witnesses it passed through the right side of the light tower
at the end of the Right Field roof at a height of 125-130 above the ground.
just below the lights themselves.

I never left the room when Mantle or Harmon Killebrew was at the plate and Frank Howard who came a bit later. You always had the feeling you were going to see a long one, something worth watching. They gave us a lot of thrills, nothing in sports like a tape measure shots. Over in a few seconds but talked of and remembered years later.

I saw Mick and Harmon hit some long ones. Harmon if I recall hit them long but Mantles were higher and just as far. Both impressive but those long high ones I like the best.

Howard hit the fastest in time I ever saw. At first leaving the bat looked like an infielder my have leaped and maybe caught it. It seemed to be about 20 feet off the ground, looked that way, cleared the fence around left center field but closer to left.

SHOELESSJOE3
03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Mickey Mantle. His "documented" Sep. 10, 1960 home run in the Brooks Lumber Yard
in Detroit may have gone at the point indicated by the employee and
was indeed a colossal home run of epic proportion. At minimum,
it went a distance of about 520' and possibly as much as 543-550'. landing either
in the road and bouncing through a small driveway opening, (which would have directed
the ball in to a spot it did not end up), or landing on a building on the far side of Trumbull then into the yard.
According to witnesses it passed through the right side of the light tower
at the end of the Right Field roof at a height of 125-130 above the ground.
just below the lights themselves.

Here is an overhead shot of that Mantle shot. Detroit Sept 10,1960

SHOELESSJOE3
03-12-2007, 10:00 PM
A long one at Fenway. According to the N.Y.Times this one landed about 6 rows from the back of the bleachers. Anything near the back of the bleachers at Fenway, 6 or 16 rows from the back wall is a long way.

Home run number 16, May 25, 1926 7th inning, Babe Ruth.

riverfrontier
03-13-2007, 12:37 PM
There is no way that Mickey Mantle ever hit a ball, on the fly, to the 'X' outside of that Tiger Stadium photo. Baseball myths and fish stories are one and the same. Anybody who has ever been to Tiger Stadium would laugh at the dimensions (dementions) of a claim like that. I actually saw George Brett hit a home run to the roof in 1988. In the spirit of this thread, I'd like to say it was still going up when it cleared the roof, but I'd be lying. Why are these mythic tape-measure home runs always hit in stadiums with a roof that would always interfere with a nice, clean 600 foot shot? Why are they never, ever seen (hit) in parks where it would be very easy to measure the exact distance from the plate to final landing spot? It's exactly like people who claim to have witnessed paranormal events. It's always hearsay, and always impossible to disprove. Like a 30 foot Great White Shark or the idea of Heaven.

RuthMayBond
03-13-2007, 12:40 PM
There is no way that Mickey Mantle ever hit a ball, on the fly, to the 'X' outside of that Tiger Stadium photo. Baseball myths and fish stories are one and the same. Anybody who has ever been to Tiger Stadium would laugh at the dimensions (dementions) of a claim like that. I actually saw George Brett hit a home run to the roof in 1988. In the spirit of this thread, I'd like to say it was still going up when it cleared the roof, but I'd be lying. Why are these mythic tape-measure home runs always hit in stadiums with a roof that would always interfere with a nice, clean 600 foot shot? Why are they never, ever seen (hit) in parks where it would be very easy to measure the exact distance from the plate to final landing spot?Because it's Mickey friggin Yankee Mantle :rolleyes: :laugh

Williamsburg2599
03-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Using Google Earth, I measured that shot to be 605 ft.!

RuthMayBond
03-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Using Google Earth, I measured that shot to be 605 ft.!That's only because it was barely stopped by several steel beams and was just beginning its ascent when it hit them ;)

elmer
03-14-2007, 06:40 AM
Xxxxxxxxxx

riverfrontier
03-14-2007, 07:10 AM
The two longest home runs that I personally witnessed in Tiger Stadium, and I saw a lot of them there, were the Brett home run I've already mentioned, and one by Jim Thome that went half way up the right center field bleachers which set the stadium buzzing. Thome's homer was just a bit more toward center than Mantle's shot would have been, and the ball, absolutely CRUSHED as it was, was NOT still on the rise. No home runs are still on the rise when they land. That's why Thome's homer came down where it did. It FELL there. For Mantle to reach that spot in the picture, He would have had to clear the roof at its farthest point from home plate, avoid the light tower, clear the street, and the building in the lumber yard. It's just unfathomable to me. There's no such thing as a 600 foot home run, I say.

elmer
03-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Xxxxxxxxxx

elmer
04-30-2007, 06:33 AM
A long one at Fenway. According to the N.Y.Times this one landed about 6 rows from the back of the bleachers. Anything near the back of the bleachers at Fenway, 6 or 16 rows from the back wall is a long way.

Home run number 16, May 25, 1926 7th inning, Babe Ruth.

The new Ruth Book by Bill Jenkinson states it landed in the 45th row. Another Ruth hit landed in the 42nd row.

Williams home run landed in 37th row.....

Great One
05-12-2007, 10:54 PM
In Veterans Stadium. Willie Stargell hit a homerun that traveled to the 600 level of the Vet. It was marked with a yellow star enclosed in a white circle with a black "S" to commemorate where the ball hit. The spot was towards right field, and was the longest home run hit in the park. The star remained there until the Vet was demolished. I do not know, however, how far the ball traveled.

In Citizens Bank Park, Ryan Howard currently holds the mark for the longest home run in the park. On April 23, 2006, Howard became the first player to hit a homerun that landed in Ashburn Alley. It traveled 496 feet. Howard also hit another homerun in June of that year against Mike Mussina of the Yankees that landed in the top level of the stands towards right field. The ball traveled 481 feet, and is marked with a letter "H" at Section 304, Row 1, Seat 8.

Also in OPACY, balls that landed in the Eutaw Street Alley are marked with landmarks telling who and when the ball hit the spot. Only Ken Griffey Jr. hit the warehouse during the Home Run Derby in 1993.

Great One
05-12-2007, 11:06 PM
http://home.mindspring.com/~gearhard/taletape.html

This site also can tell you about some of the longest homeruns ever recorded in Pirates history.

elmer
05-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Xxxxxxxxxx

PeteU
05-13-2007, 08:40 AM
There is no way that Mickey Mantle ever hit a ball, on the fly, to the 'X' outside of that Tiger Stadium photo. Baseball myths and fish stories are one and the same. Anybody who has ever been to Tiger Stadium would laugh at the dimensions (dementions) of a claim like that. I actually saw George Brett hit a home run to the roof in 1988. In the spirit of this thread, I'd like to say it was still going up when it cleared the roof, but I'd be lying. Why are these mythic tape-measure home runs always hit in stadiums with a roof that would always interfere with a nice, clean 600 foot shot? Why are they never, ever seen (hit) in parks where it would be very easy to measure the exact distance from the plate to final landing spot? It's exactly like people who claim to have witnessed paranormal events. It's always hearsay, and always impossible to disprove. Like a 30 foot Great White Shark or the idea of Heaven.

Back in 1990 I believe, I saw Cal Ripken hit a shot that I swore came within a few rows of clearing the bleachers of Memorial Stadium, a la Frank Robinison. But of course I was 11 years old at the time and maybe my depth perception wasn't as good as I thought. Cal was never the distance slugger like a Mantle, Kilebrew or McGwire. But I like to believe he did hit a bomb that day, if only for the fact he was Cal Ripken and I was an 11 year old Orioles fan at the apex of Cal's career.

elmer
05-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Seattle1
05-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Who hit the longest home run in the history of Safeco Field?

Great One
05-13-2007, 10:49 AM
April 22, 2007-

Chase Utley hit a mammoth, you-wish-you-were-there-to-see-it home run over the batter's eye in dead-center field and onto Ashburn Alley.

Aug. 18, 2006

thanks to a TITANTIC LEAD OFF HOME RUN by THE AFRICAN QUEEN's main love, Alfonso Soriano, on the 3rd pitch of the game off Brett Myers. The 451 foot shot, travelled to deep centerfield and landed in Ashburn Alley and the Phillies Hall of Fame.

I watched both of those games when it happened. I think Utley's home run traveled about 465 feet according to the broadcasters.

elmer
05-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Who hit the longest home run in the history of Safeco Field?

Bonds lined one about a dozen rows into the right-field bleachers. Estimated an 462', the longest at Safeco Field in 2006.

At Safeco Field, Glenalen Hill hit a batting practice pitch to the Royal Brougham, being the only player to do so.
It is 462' to the median line of Royal Brougham road down the foul line

Boston Red Sox
06-14-2007, 04:22 PM
sorry but i read on mlb.com that a red sox hit a home run miles out of the ground. i don't know where though

Great One
06-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Howard broke his own record set by hitting a home run to dead center field which measured at 505 feet.

placount
06-28-2007, 04:26 PM
sorry but i read on mlb.com that a red sox hit a home run miles out of the ground. i don't know where though
yes this sounds about right. only a few players have ever hit a ball 550, but someone hit it miles.

elmer
06-29-2007, 05:02 AM
Howard broke his own record set by hitting a home run to dead center field which measured at 505 feet.

better check this one with Greg at hit tracker,
there was no wind behind it and the bat speed was no more than any other recent long hit. A home town statistician hyped homer.

This kind of thing casts a shadow on legit 500 footers.

If you study the ball flight it didn't fly all that far behind the wall.

see homers for 6/27
http://www.hittrackeronline.com/

Great One
06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
better check this one with Greg at hit tracker,
there was no wind behind it and the bat speed was no more than any other recent long hit. A home town statistician hyped homer.

This kind of thing casts a shadow on legit 500 footers.

If you study the ball flight it didn't fly all that far behind the wall.

see homers for 6/27
http://www.hittrackeronline.com/

So if this Greg is doubting the legitimacy of this, then tell everyone within the media and in baseball. Video is also on the phillies website if you think it is a home town statistician hyped homer.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070627&content_id=2052753&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi

gator92
06-29-2007, 10:59 PM
So if this Greg is doubting the legitimacy of this, then tell everyone within the media and in baseball. Video is also on the phillies website if you think it is a home town statistician hyped homer.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070627&content_id=2052753&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi

I don't think it is overhyped - I know it is.

If you are willing to be convinced, first read this article -

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/8219942.html

The most important part is in the first paragraph:

OVER THE FENCE in dead centerfield. Over the shrubbery and the ivy. All the way over the brick batter's eye - all 31 feet, 6 inches of it - and then into Ashburn Alley on one hop.

"On one hop"... Very important: the ball didn't even land in Ashburn's Alley, it bounced over the wall behind the batter's eye in order to reach the Alley.

Next, take a look at this Citizens Bank Park photo (http://www.digitalballparks.com/National/Philadelphia25.html) from digitalballparks.com - note the green and white "482" marker on the back wall of Ashburn's Alley. The 482 marker is accurate.

Here's a good side view of Ashburn's Alley: Citizens Bank Park photo (http://www.digitalballparks.com/National/Philadelphia11.html)

That spot is also marked on this Google Earth overhead diagram, which is marked with the landing spot of the ball and the 482 marker. You can see the impact point was about 439 feet from home plate.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/Howard_Jun27_2007.jpg

The ball would have covered several more feet if it has been allowed to return all the way back down to field level; Hit Tracker figured that to add up to 455 feet overall.

If you can come up with a plausible explanation for how a ball that impacts 43 feet short of a 482 foot marker can be "estimated" at 505 feet, I am all ears. But I think the only explanation is "hype"...

Edit: typo, originally typed 437 feet instead of 439 feet

Great One
06-30-2007, 01:15 AM
I don't think it is overhyped - I know it is.

If you are willing to be convinced, first read this article -

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/8219942.html

The most important part is in the first paragraph:

OVER THE FENCE in dead centerfield. Over the shrubbery and the ivy. All the way over the brick batter's eye - all 31 feet, 6 inches of it - and then into Ashburn Alley on one hop.

"On one hop"... Very important: the ball didn't even land in Ashburn's Alley, it bounced over the wall behind the batter's eye in order to reach the Alley.

Next, take a look at this Citizens Bank Park photo (http://www.digitalballparks.com/National/Philadelphia25.html) from digitalballparks.com - note the green and white "482" marker on the back wall of Ashburn's Alley. The 482 marker is accurate.

Here's a good side view of Ashburn's Alley: Citizens Bank Park photo (http://www.digitalballparks.com/National/Philadelphia11.html)

That spot is also marked on this Google Earth overhead diagram, which is marked with the landing spot of the ball and the 482 marker. You can see the impact point was about 439 feet from home plate.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/Howard_Jun27_2007.jpg

The ball would have covered several more feet if it has been allowed to return all the way back down to field level; Hit Tracker figured that to add up to 455 feet overall.

If you can come up with a plausible explanation for how a ball that impacts 43 feet short of a 482 foot marker can be "estimated" at 505 feet, I am all ears. But I think the only explanation is "hype"...

Edit: typo, originally typed 437 feet instead of 439 feet

It's really not a matter of me believing it. To me, it is what it is regardless of how long it went. The issue that I have with this is that if it really is 437 feet, then they, the media/Phillies, should tell accurately tell the common person instead of giving us false information. Coming from the Phillies, I do ask myself often why doesn't it suprise me that they would be behind something like this. I've seen this act way too much from them.

gator92
06-30-2007, 01:44 AM
It's really not a matter of me believing it. To me, it is what it is regardless of how long it went. The issue that I have with this is that if it really is 437 feet, then they, the media/Phillies, should tell accurately tell the common person instead of giving us false information. Coming from the Phillies, I do ask myself often why doesn't it suprise me that they would be behind something like this. I've seen this act way too much from them.

Well, the impact point was 439, the true distance was 455.

But I agree with you, they should try to get these distances right, but I don't think they know how. They probably have a chart, given to them by someone who implicitly, if not explicitly, told them the chart is usually wrong, and they just wing it from there. This in contrast to the Red Sox, who decided some time ago (correctly) that their "system" wasn't producing accurate numbers, and they stopped announcing them. I hope they will come around some time soon...

I am disappointed that the Phillies are not more interested in getting these things right than they seem to be. I suspect they painted themselves in a corner with some past distance quotes, and felt like they had to keep doing it. After all, if last year's homer was reported as 496 feet, and this one went farther (as it apparently did), you have to go higher. I just don't get how they can show it landing short of a 482 marker and call it 505 with a straight face...

It would be nice if the Phillies would let me help them make accurate distance estimates (I offered back in Jan. 2006), but is it expecting too much for them to consult with someone who has publicly contradicted them? Maybe... 505 down to 455 is a bitter pill to swallow... for me, accuracy is more important, after all I had Howard's 4/23/06 homer at 491 (from some very limited camera angles) until this new info came out, and now it's down to 442. I've taken the medicine, now I feel better. I think we do the hitters a service by being accurate, and not embellishing these things; a 455 foot homer is a thing of beauty, it shouldn't have to be exaggerated to be respected...

wvkeeper
06-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Daryle Ward hit a ball at PNC Park that hit the guard shack (yellow building in CF) in straightaway center field (412 in the CF notch). Kip Wells (the current Cardinal) once hit the top of the Batter's Eye in Center Field at PNC Park.

http://pittsburgh.about.com/library/graphics/pnc-park-view.jpg

gator92
07-27-2007, 08:15 PM
FYI, I have posted a "public" version of Hit Tracker on my site, for download and use by anyone who wants it. Here's the link:

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/Hit_Tracker_v17A.xls

I'd like to encourage you to download it and check it out, and contact me via the site if you have any questions, comments or suggestions. Feel free to share this info with anyone you think might find it interesting. You might also want to check out the Hit Tracker forum, where I plan on posting lots more information about Hit Tracker going forward. The link is:

http://www.hittrackeronline.com.forum

Yankeefan90
07-27-2007, 11:00 PM

Yea and I'll sell anybody the Brooklyn Bridge for a dollar. Miles come on, you probaly misread.

I'd say if you add all of Mickey Mantles HRs together, he probaly has the most distance of any other player in the history of the game. He was a strong guy, although I never saw him play and he died when I was five, he is my idol. Sure the guy drank and he was injured alot, but if he was a perfectly healthy guy I think Bonds would be passing the Mick right now, or at least Mickey would have hit around 650-760. That's my opinion and any facts on Mickey that would prove my statement wrong would be really appreciated.

Yankeefan90
07-27-2007, 11:04 PM
A-Rod has hit a few tape measure HRs in his career. He's hit a few that's gone way over 430 ft. Some reached 450. One time I think he hit a 485 ft homerun in LF at Yankee Stadium, but this one I'm not to sure about.

gator92
07-28-2007, 09:25 AM
I'd say if you add all of Mickey Mantles HRs together, he probaly has the most distance of any other player in the history of the game.

You must be forgetting about Babe Ruth. I don't think anyone would argue that he and Mantle are in the top 5 (and perhaps the top 2) distance HR hitters ever, and Ruth hit 1/3 more homers than Mantle. Mantle's homers would have had to go 100 ft longer per homer...

No argument on what he might have done if healthy, though - he sure had a sweet swing, from what video I've seen. On the other hand, if Ruth had started out as an outfielder...

SultanOfWhat
07-28-2007, 11:31 AM
There has been a lot of exaggeration regarding home run distances. Actual home runs of 500 feet are truly rare.

Everyone should read this Bill Jenkinson article, "Long distance Home Runs", linked below. Jenkinson can be dubbed the premiere "Home Run Historian" of baseball. He has been researching tape measure home runs for about 30 years.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/art_hr.shtml

Another interesting article, "The Myth of the 500 Foot Home Run::

http://www.slate.com/id/2095/

My opinion is that the maximum distance a baseball can be hit given a game-type bat (as opposed to a fungo bat) near sea-level in relatively calm wind conditions is about 530 feet. The only person who brings doubt about this limit into my mind is Ruth.

Ruth was clearly a freak. He's still unmatched to this day. He fungoed a baseball 422 feet (using a fungo bat) towards the end of his career. One account claims that he fungoed a baseball 447 feet, but I find that hard to believe. 500-foot power has been documented for many of Ruth's homers.

500 feet is a LONG way. I've seen A-Rod hit two shots in Ynakee Stadium that seemed to represent optimal efforts (one off a 95-MPH fastball) that carried about 485 feet (landed near the ambulance in deep LF).

Mantle's 565-foot shot didn't travel all that way on the fly. It bounced, and was picked up by a neighborhood boy. Jenkinson estimates 506-510 feet in the air for this HR.

Cecil Fielder's shot over the LF bleachers in Milwaukee was a legitimate 500-foot shot.

Many of the HRs that land in upper decks are wildly overestimated as to the distance they would have traveled.

gator92
07-28-2007, 02:13 PM
There has been a lot of exaggeration regarding home run distances. Actual home runs of 500 feet are truly rare.

Everyone should read this Bill Jenkinson article, "Long distance Home Runs", linked below. Jenkinson can be dubbed the premiere "Home Run Historian" of baseball. He has been researching tape measure home runs for about 30 years.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/art_hr.shtml

Another interesting article, "The Myth of the 500 Foot Home Run::

http://www.slate.com/id/2095/

My opinion is that the maximum distance a baseball can be hit given a game-type bat (as opposed to a fungo bat) near sea-level in relatively calm wind conditions is about 530 feet. The only person who brings doubt about this limit into my mind is Ruth.

Ruth was clearly a freak. He's still unmatched to this day. He fungoed a baseball 422 feet (using a fungo bat) towards the end of his career. One account claims that he fungoed a baseball 447 feet, but I find that hard to believe. 500-foot power has been documented for many of Ruth's homers.

500 feet is a LONG way. I've seen A-Rod hit two shots in Ynakee Stadium that seemed to represent optimal efforts (one off a 95-MPH fastball) that carried about 485 feet (landed near the ambulance in deep LF).

Mantle's 565-foot shot didn't travel all that way on the fly. It bounced, and was picked up by a neighborhood boy. Jenkinson estimates 506-510 feet in the air for this HR.

Cecil Fielder's shot over the LF bleachers in Milwaukee was a legitimate 500-foot shot.

Many of the HRs that land in upper decks are wildly overestimated as to the distance they would have traveled.

I am working on an analysis of Fielder's homer for my site: right now, it looks like the County Stadium homer was more in the neighborhood of 470 feet. I'm having some trouble getting weather data for the time he hit it, but with no wind, it comes out to 467 feet.

Ever notice that there about 10X as many homers that are cited as being just over 500 feet as there are ones that are just under 500 feet? It's the "baker's dozen" approach to homers: no one will mind if they add a little to everything. That's how we got to the state we're in, where everything is exaggerated...

SultanOfWhat
08-05-2007, 03:15 PM
I think Fielder's shot was longer than 467. I have it on tape, and it literally left the stadium, and was hit relatively on a line.

I agree that Howard's shot in Philly was overstated. When I saw the highlight, I said "440", not the 491 or whatever they claimed.

Here's another article regarding tape measure home runs:

Tall tales of the tape:

http://www.star-telegram.com/284/story/177856.html

BTW, Jay Buhner hit the longest measurable HR (meaning that it landed on the ground, not in an upper deck or bleachers) at the New Yankee Stadium, estimated at 493 feet. I have that one on tape too, somewhere. He mauled it. Too bad no one knows the precise landing spot of that shot, or the two 480-485 foot shots A-Rod hit to the same area. Another bomb in Yankee Stadium is the 474-foot shot (actually measured by Yankee Stadium grounds crew, as Al Trautwig taped a feature) hit by Juan Encarnacion, off of Ramiro Mendoza. It was the only ball to reach the left field bleachers in the new Yankee Stadium (1976-present). It went about 3 rows in, over the Chock-fulla-Nuts sign in LCF.

The longest HR I saw in person is Piazza's estimated 482-foot shot off of Ramiro Mendoza (again) at Shea. That blast landed on the back side of the party tent. Amazing.

gator92
08-07-2007, 06:55 PM
I think Fielder's shot was longer than 467. I have it on tape, and it literally left the stadium, and was hit relatively on a line.
One of my volunteers is a producer at a TV station, and he got hold of the Fielder HR video. He was able to frame count it to the point where it left the stadium. It took 5.23 seconds to reach a point 430 feet from home plate, at approximately 53 feet above field level. That turns out to be close to a 35 degree launch angle, near optimal (as might be expected), not really on a line. The only reason I haven't posted it yet is we're still digging for the weather, trying to find some source for wind that evening in Milwaukee near the stadium...

The reason this one looks longer than 467 is that there is nothing behind the LF bleachers. Most stadium outer walls (except for Fenway, Wrigley and MinuteMaid) are more than 430 feet from home plate, with all the concourses, playgrounds, giant coke bottles, etc. behind the main seating area. County Stadium didn't have that, which is why a 467 foot homer (or whatever it turns out to be) is capable of leaving the park entirely...

I agree that Howard's shot in Philly was overstated. When I saw the highlight, I said "440", not the 491 or whatever they claimed.

Here's another article regarding tape measure home runs:

Tall tales of the tape:

http://www.star-telegram.com/284/story/177856.html

BTW, Jay Buhner hit the longest measurable HR (meaning that it landed on the ground, not in an upper deck or bleachers) at the New Yankee Stadium, estimated at 493 feet. I have that one on tape too, somewhere. He mauled it. Too bad no one knows the precise landing spot of that shot, or the two 480-485 foot shots A-Rod hit to the same area. Another bomb in Yankee Stadium is the 474-foot shot (actually measured by Yankee Stadium grounds crew, as Al Trautwig taped a feature) hit by Juan Encarnacion, off of Ramiro Mendoza. It was the only ball to reach the left field bleachers in the new Yankee Stadium (1976-present). It went about 3 rows in, over the Chock-fulla-Nuts sign in LCF.

The longest HR I saw in person is Piazza's estimated 482-foot shot off of Ramiro Mendoza (again) at Shea. That blast landed on the back side of the party tent. Amazing.

Those all sound like good ones to analyze, I will keep an eye peeled for the video. If you have a link to any, please share!

SultanOfWhat
08-11-2007, 04:12 AM
OK, lots of stuff.

Buhner's shot is called 479 feet on the internet (multiple mentions), but I could swear that the Yankees themselves hold it to be 493. They played Buhner's shot in a special 10-minute segment on YES a day or two after Encarnacion's shot into the LF bleachers off of Mendoza. I will look for that video tape.

Joe Torre had a funny quote about the blastl hit off his pitcher, Mendoza: "That ball was stuck".

I got the footage of many other tape measure HRs from ESPN, from a show around the time of the All-Star home run derby about 5 years ago. Included were:

-Jimmy Wynn's blast over the huge scoreboard in LF at Crosley Field, which bounced onto the highway
-Reggie's All-Star HR off the transformer in Tiger Stadium off Doc Ellis
-Piazza's shot beyond the seats in LCF in Coors (they called it 496)
-Fielder's blast to LF in Milwaukee that went over the bleachers and out of the park
-Strawberry's HR off the roof in Montreal (probably the hardest to even try to measure)
-Fielder bombarding the roof in Tiger Stadium
-Larry Walker's upper deck shot in Coors
-Andres Galarraga's LF bomb in Pro Player off of a hanging curve from Kevin Brown

I just tracked down another long shot I dimly remember, having seen it on TV during a night game that took place in Yankee Stadium decades ago. Joe Charboneau, while a rookie for the Indians in 1980, hit only the 3rd ball into the upper deck in LF at Yankee Stadium up to that time. Third row. I looked up the game on retrosheet, and found it: June 28, 1980. Further research turned up this:

***begin excerpt***

The highlight of the season came on June 28 in an 11-10 loss to the Yankees in New York. Charboneau blasted a home run into the third deck of Yankee Stadium, reached previously by only two players, Hall of Famer Jimmie Foxx and Frank Howard.

"I remember it like it was yesterday," said Charboneau. "Tom Underwood, a left-hander, was pitching for the Yankees. It was the first time I ever faced him, and I got ahead in the count, 3-and-1, and looked for a fastball in, which I got. I swung, and I never hit a ball better.

"As I was going around second base, I looked up to where the ball landed and thought to myself that I'd probably never hit another ball like that again. And I never did. It was a once-in-a-lifetime swing. Later they told me it was one of the three longest home runs ever hit in Yankee Stadium. Imagine that! Yankee Stadium, the 'House that Ruth built.'

"The whole thing was unbelievable. It seemed like the ball carried forever." The memory of it does for Charboneau.

http://www.freetimes.com/stories/15/12/summer-reading

**end excerpt***

Other shots into the upper deck in LF at Yankee Stadium (which is both farther from the plate and more deeply angled away from home plate than the upper deck in RF) have been hit by:

-Jessie Barfield (as a Yankee, first row)
-Jose Canseco (as a Yankee, first row)
-Gary Sheffield (as a Yankee)
-Cecil Fielder (as a Tiger)
-Alex Rodriguez (twice, both as a Yankee, one reaching 6-8 rows up, and also a third HR high off the fair screen as a Mariner)
-Canseco (as an Oakland A) and A-Rod also hit shots off the facing of the upper deck in LF, well away from the foul pole. A-Rod did it earlier this year. I was at a game in the 80's when Canseco did it. Bonk! Pretty amazing to hear that bang all the way from seats behind 1st base.

Another bomb in Yankee Stadium few remember was hit by Bo Jackson. Batting right-handed, he hit a shot into the RF bleachers that, if memory serves, went past the last row of seats. That is an amazing opposite-field shot.

For those into Yankee Stadium history, by the way, two tidbits:
-Homplate in the old Stadium was 20 feet behind its present location
-About 10 rows of seats were added to the upper deck during the renovation

Lastly, here's further proof that titanic home runs are no myth:

http://www.baseballtoddsdugout.com/stephensatwall.jpg

That's Gene Stephens looking up at Mantle's 502-foot HR, which went over the black screen used for a batter's eye. Hey, how deep was that guy playing?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o164/emstc/YankeeStadium42319553.jpg

On August 12, 1964, Mickey Mantle hit switch hit home runs during the same game for the tenth time in his career - a new Major League record. The first blast cleared the 461-foot marker, carried over the 22 foot screen, and landed approximately 14 rows into the bleachers. A reporter told Mantle after the game that the ball traveled 502 feet and Mantle replied, "Aw, I didn't hit it all that good."

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/yearly/yr1964a.shtml

FeelthePower
08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Hearing from Mantle himself that he didn't hit it all that good truly emphasizes how powerful he was...It just adds to the prestige of its legendary blast off the facade in Old Yankee Stadium back in 1963, when he called it the hardest ball he had ever hit.

Speaking of that blast, he someone knows for sure how far the facade was set back behind the right field fence, please let me know. The various distances from homeplate that have been given for this homerun are very confusing. From the different sources I got (whether NY Times or books that have been written), I have either 374, 370 or 367 feet. Which one is right? And more importantly, was it the horizontal distance or the distance from the ground to the point of impact (hypothenus)???

About the homeruns SultanofWhat stated, I remember the one Buhner exploded back in early 90s...I clearly recall him flipping his bat toward the pitcher on his follow through, wow! And what about Piazza's shot at Shea (I was watching the game on TV when he connected and the ball landed on the tent behind the back wall in right field. Holy cow! Great memories...

And about Charboneau...one thing that I don't understand is why they said it was only the third ball hit in the LF Upper Deck up to that time, when you know Mantle hit quite a few hitting right-handed in the Upper Deck there...Strange...Anyways, it was certainly a great blast!

SHOELESSJOE3
08-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Hearing from Mantle himself that he didn't hit it all that good truly emphasizes how powerful he was...It just adds to the prestige of its legendary blast off the facade in Old Yankee Stadium back in 1963, when he called it the hardest ball he had ever hit.

Speaking of that blast, he someone knows for sure how far the facade was set back behind the right field fence, please let me know. The various distances from homeplate that have been given for this homerun are very confusing. From the different sources I got (whether NY Times or books that have been written), I have either 374, 370 or 367 feet. Which one is right? And more importantly, was it the horizontal distance or the distance from the ground to the point of impact (hypothenus)???

That was some bomb. Anyone remember that inter-league game when the Giants played the Yanks at Yankee Stadium, might have been in 2002.

Barry Bonds hit one in that upper deck right by the exit ramp in right field, hit a mile. I began to think, that ball was in orbit and then wondered what did Mantle's blast look like. I'm looking at that ramp and then looking at the facade, looks to be about 25 or 30+ feet higher than the ramp. Too bad there is no footage of that one.

I never left the room when Mantle, killebrew or Frank Howard came to bat, always a chance of seeing one of those monster drives these guys could hit.

If I recall Frank did not have quite the uppercut swing that Mick and Harmon had. He hit some of the quickest home runs I ever saw. Hard to believe anyone could hit a line drive as far as he did, gone in a second.

PeteU
08-21-2007, 12:25 PM
In the 15 year history of Oriole Park at Camden Yards, no player still has yet to hit a homerun during a game which has struck the B & O Warehouse, which is approximately 450 at its closest point.

Ken Griffey Jr. hit the warehouse during the 1993 All Star homerun hitting contest, and I'm assuming numerous ballplayers have probably hit it during pre-game batting practice. But far as I know, no one has yet to strike the building during a game.

TJH1923
08-21-2007, 05:11 PM
That was some bomb. Anyone remember that inter-league game when the Giants played the Yanks at Yankee Stadium, might have been in 2002.

Barry Bonds hit one in that upper deck right by the exit ramp in right field, hit a mile. I began to think, that ball was in orbit and then wondered what did Mantle's blast look like. I'm looking at that ramp and then looking at the facade, looks to be about 25 or 30+ feet higher than the ramp. Too bad there is no footage of that one.

I never left the room when Mantle, killebrew or Frank Howard came to bat, always a chance of seeing one of those monster drives these guys could hit.

If I recall Frank did not have quite the uppercut swing that Mick and Harmon had. He hit some of the quickest home runs I ever saw. Hard to believe anyone could hit a line drive as far as he did, gone in a second.

Barry Bond's home run at Yankee Stadium was indeed a bomb. That shot had more of an arc to it. One of Mantle's facade shots was, by many accounts, still rising upon impact. Some things to consider: home plate in the old stadium was set back further than the new stadium; ten rows were added to the upper deck for cantilever purposes so the steel beams could be removed (not sure if I phrased that properly); the ramp or portal was set lower in the old stadium; the roof on the old stadium was much wider and obviously the facade hung below it.

RichardLillard1
08-21-2007, 08:20 PM
To my knowledge the rows weren't added for cantelevering the deck, they were added to make up for loss of seating from the bleachers and parts of the outfield grandstand being removed. TJH, any idea how much farther back the plate is now compared to before the renovation? The new ramps are located directly above the the old ones (which are used for storage now). And so far as I can tell the frieze wouldn't have hung down far enough to block it in its current position, especially if the ball was arcing downward.

Below is a newspaper photo depicting one of Mantle's rising homers.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/RichardLillard1/homerun.gif

Richard

TJH1923
08-22-2007, 07:22 AM
To my knowledge the rows weren't added for cantelevering the deck, they were added to make up for loss of seating from the bleachers and parts of the outfield grandstand being removed. TJH, any idea how much farther back the plate is now compared to before the renovation? The new ramps are located directly above the the old ones (which are used for storage now). And so far as I can tell the frieze wouldn't have hung down far enough to block it in its current position, especially if the ball was arcing downward.

Below is a newspaper photo depicting one of Mantle's rising homers.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/RichardLillard1/homerun.gif

Richard

Rich, I was pointing out the physical differences of the old and new stadium in reference to shoelessjoe3's post regarding the lack of footage of Mantle's home run off the facade and how Bond's home run would have translated to the old stadium. Bond's home run would not have come close to the facade, but I would have liked to see it in the old stadium.

I believe I read somewhere that the reason for the extra ten rows in the upper deck was to stabilize the cantilevering to make up for the removal of the steel beams. Maybe Elvis can shed some light on this.

I read the twenty feet difference between the position of home plate in the old and new stadiums in a previous post. I am not sure if that is an accurate distance. All my Yankee books are down south and I don't have access to them. I will try and confirm it. If anyone else knows for sure, chime in.

sflnyc
08-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Speaking of Shea Stadium, I think both Shea Stadium and Dodger Stadium (Elvis, are you out there?), because of their designs, have had only 1-2 home runs ever hit in the Upper Deck.

I know Willie Stargell hit a ball completely out of Dodger Stadium over the RF Pavilion and has been mentioned before, Agee hit the Upper Deck at Shea.

Personally, I don't get wrapped up in the home run distances because its too subjective, especially when there are decks of outfield seats. Too much talk about arc of the ball, etc. etc. and where "it would have landed".

If it was a flat surface and had nothing beyond the fences besides the scoreboard (like the old Anaheim Stadium), and lines with distance markers, then maybe I woudl get more excited like a tape measure of a javelin through, etc. But I've seen too many shots on where the the HR looked massive and they announce it as only 430 feet, meanwhile another shot that wasn't as impressive was measured at 450 feet.

But that's just me.

Astros
08-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Here are some notable homers at Minute Maid Park, including the longest hit by Lance Berkman (464').

SultanOfWhat
08-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Mantle's facade HRs could not have been rising when they hit the facade (actually "frieze"), as outlined by Bill Jenkinson, in the articles I linked above in this thread. The reason is that the facade, in relation to the height at which a ball is struck, is at an angle well below an "optimal" trajectory for take-off to achieve maximum distance. If Mantle was able to hit a ball that was rising when it hit the facade, he would have been able to hit a ball (when struck at a close to 45-degree, optimal angle) that would have passed 80 feet above the facade. Obviously, he never did, nor did anyone else.

I read that home plate in the old YS was 20 feet behind where it is today in "Yankee Stadium: 75 Years of Glamor, Drama and Glory".

elmer
09-04-2007, 03:38 PM

Mickey pounded his bat on the ground after he hit this home run, if it had not been for a strong breeze that day it would likely have been a 450' out.

367 is the closest and 360' is even closer according to hittracker and Andrew Clem

About the homeruns SultanofWhat stated, I remember the one Buhner exploded back in early 90s...I clearly recall him flipping his bat toward the pitcher on his follow through, wow! And what about Piazza's shot at Shea (I was watching the game on TV when he connected and the ball landed on the tent behind the back wall in right field. Holy cow! Great memories...

And about Charboneau...one thing that I don't understand is why they said it was only the third ball hit in the LF Upper Deck up to that time, when you know Mantle hit quite a few hitting right-handed in the Upper Deck there...Strange...Anyways, it was certainly a great blast!

13 feet behind the 353' corner.
Mickey hit 4 up there. his longest 450 linear feet from home plate to the
20th row. There were 23 rows in the old YS GS. in both outfields.

TJH1923
09-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Oh my...............that was some shot that exploded off the bat of A-Rod into the left field upper deck (9/4/07). There are fewer players who have it a home run into the left field upper deck at Yankee Stadium (renovated version) than into the black in center field.

gator92
09-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Oh my...............that was some shot that exploded off the bat of A-Rod into the left field upper deck (9/4/07). There are fewer players who have it a home run into the left field upper deck at Yankee Stadium (renovated version) than into the black in center field.

Unusual, yes. Extremely long, no. A-Rod's blast was a very high-arching fly ball, leaving the bat at about 44 degrees by my reckoning, and landing in the upper deck at a point "only" about 380 feet horizontally from home plate. Because it was descending so steeply, it would have only picked up another 28 feet had it made it all the way back down to field level - 408 feet.

This was a notable home run in that it is very unusual to get that much elevation on a ball pulled so sharply - most homers hit down the LF line by righties are flatter, and thus never make it into the upper deck in YS, which is around 50 feet above field level at the lowest point...

Don't get me wrong, I was very impressed by that homer. However, most of its majesty was in the vertical direction...

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/hrdetail.php?id=2007_20547

This issue was made even more clearly by Travis Hafner last night in Minnesota. He hit a homer in the 1st inning that went 10-12 rows deep in the RF upper deck, but which only went 403 feet, and later in the 9th inning hit a bomb to dead CF that covered 437 feet, but which didn't clear the fence by nearly as much...

TJH1923
09-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Unusual, yes. Extremely long, no. A-Rod's blast was a very high-arching fly ball, leaving the bat at about 44 degrees by my reckoning, and landing in the upper deck at a point "only" about 380 feet horizontally from home plate. Because it was descending so steeply, it would have only picked up another 28 feet had it made it all the way back down to field level - 408 feet.

This was a notable home run in that it is very unusual to get that much elevation on a ball pulled so sharply - most homers hit down the LF line by righties are flatter, and thus never make it into the upper deck in YS, which is around 50 feet above field level at the lowest point...

Don't get me wrong, I was very impressed by that homer. However, most of its majesty was in the vertical direction...

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/hrdetail.php?id=2007_20547

This issue was made even more clearly by Travis Hafner last night in Minnesota. He hit a homer in the 1st inning that went 10-12 rows deep in the RF upper deck, but which only went 403 feet, and later in the 9th inning hit a bomb to dead CF that covered 437 feet, but which didn't clear the fence by nearly as much...

Wow....very interesting. Watching the home run was so majestic. The science of it takes away from the mystique of the moment. Maybe I've seen "The Natural" too many times, but I like the lore and fantasy of some of the more majestic distance home runs in history.

gator92
09-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Wow....very interesting. Watching the home run was so majestic. The science of it takes away from the mystique of the moment. Maybe I've seen "The Natural" too many times, but I like the lore and fantasy of some of the more majestic distance home runs in history.

I know what you mean. A few years back, my wife and I realized that she had a print of Van Gogh's Starry Night mounted above her desk, and I had a print called "Map of the Sky", essentially an astronomer's view of the heavens. I have to try to remember that...

Brandon
08-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Jermaine Dye's 464ft shot in Kauffman Stadium

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/parks/kauffmanstadium_2008_2489.jpg

Jose Guillen's 455ft shot

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/parks/kauffmanstadium_2008_50419.jpg

The diagram is slightly out of date due to renovations (there's no videoboard, for one)

But if the diagram is correct, it would be really damn hard to hit the scoreboard. Basically you'd need to hit it to center, have it go 450ish ft, and be 40+ ft plus in the air at 450ft.

Other long home runs
475ft - Bo Jackson in 1986
480ft - Johnny Bench in the 1973 All-Star Game

Basically anything that's close to 500ft in Kauffman Stadium will leave the stadium. But the stadium is lower than the ground around it, and that complicates things.

StanTheMan
08-14-2008, 03:51 PM
"Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!!!"

csh19792001
01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Oldest thread I found in my cursory search just now. Can anybody dig up anything earlier? ;)

elmer
06-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Garcia Lumber yard homer May 1999

elmer
06-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Fenway homers

Lpeters199
06-25-2012, 12:54 PM
3D conversion of those long blasts. http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html

Joe Barrie
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
3D conversion of those long blasts. http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html

I don't have the exact distances, but I was present when Rick Reichardt and Dick Allen, of the White Sox, both cleared the centerfield stands in arcs similar to that shown for Babe Ruth. This was in the era when the White Sox wore red caps, stirrup socks, undersleeves and lettering.

elmer
06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't have the exact distances, but I was present when Rick Reichardt and Dick Allen, of the White Sox, both cleared the centerfield stands in arcs similar to that shown for Babe Ruth. This was in the era when the White Sox wore red caps, stirrup socks, undersleeves and lettering.
Joe, can you give more complete descriptions of those two you saw. Allen's was likely
hit on June 2nd 1974. Reichardt's probably June 18, 1972 with Dick Allen watching from the Chicago bench

Dennisv21
07-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Roberto Clemente hit a homer over 500 feet at Wrigley Field on May 17, 1959. Clemente's homer sailed out of the park, just to the left of the scoreboard.

Joe Barrie
07-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Joe, can you give more complete descriptions of those two you saw. Allen's was likely
hit on June 2nd 1974. Reichardt's probably June 18, 1972 with Dick Allen watching from the Chicago bench

Sorry I can't be more specific. I recall that both balls were well over the screen, and that Reichardt's ball was hit to center hard enough that it passed over the corner of the bleachers.

elmer
07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Thank you Joe. Reichardt's might qualify for "right of the flag pole homer"

The wall 37' 2" the screen 23 feet.

elmer
07-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Larry Doby homer

sirhcman
07-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Saw this thread bumped and was surprised not see any mention of Matt Holliday's Friday night blast at Busch.. Longest on record at Busch Stadium III

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/21/matt-holliday-longest-home-run-busch-stadium/

Sultan_1895-1948
03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
I would think Ruth has many different field distance records. The center field 575 footer in Detroit comes to mind immediately. Jenkinson notes that the wind was blowing directly out to center by 18MPH.

elmer
03-24-2013, 06:26 PM
I would think Ruth has many different field distance records. The center field 575 footer in Detroit comes to mind immediately. Jenkinson notes that the wind was blowing directly out to center by 18MPH.

a few here....

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?84880-Babe-Ruth-500-Foot-Home-Runs-in-MLB-Ballparks&highlight=Babe+ruth+500+foot+home+runs

FENWAY FRANKY
03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Very Nice display on the Fenway longest homers. Still missing a "big" one, Harmon Killebrew July 21st, second game of a twi-night double header.
Fourth inning off of Dennis Bennett. This was the legendary (could be and probably is B.S.) shot to the railroad track (see the Gus Zernial 1957 homer for reference)
that went into an open box car on a moving freight train headed out to Chicago (therefore "The longest HR EVER!!").
Don't think the box car story was true, but I was a 14 year old kid at that double header (jeez I'm old now!!) and I still to this day, and well over a thousand games watched at Fenway, including the Manny years, I never saw a ball leave Fenway and disappear faster.

Sultan_1895-1948
03-25-2013, 07:53 PM
a few here....

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?84880-Babe-Ruth-500-Foot-Home-Runs-in-MLB-Ballparks&highlight=Babe+ruth+500+foot+home+runs

Nice elmer

Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure Jenkinson has Ruth with the longest homer in Philadelphia, St. Louis, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, with Mantle takin' him down in Griffith and Yankee Stadium.

Oh, and Pittsburgh of course :D

csh19792001
07-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Is there a record anywhere of the longest home run hit at each major league ballpark?

Does this exist? Hit Tracker should have all the data since 2005.

Also, kudos to Moi for finding a thread from 2001. I feel like 85% of pre 2005 threads have been erased, which is a shame!!

chip
07-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Here is a repost of my story I told in the Cleveland Municpal Stadium thread a lonf time ago.....

I think this happened back in 1992.
One night I was sitting at work bored to death so to pass the time I was doodling a picture of the old stadium from the perspective of sitting behind home plate. A friend of mine saw my picture and commented how he saw Frank Howard hit a ball up into the upper deck and pointed at a spot half way up in the yellow seats and a few seats from the railing at the end of the grandstand in left field. He then told me that Howard hit another homer in the same game and the ball landed in the last row of the red seats and two sections to the left of the previous home run. Of course I said your full of horsebleep because both of those homers would have been farther than Luke Easters.
According to all of the old programs and media guides that I have say that Easterís home run landed in the upper deck section 4 a total of 477 feet from home plate. The Indians had marked the seat with a sticker that gave the date and the distance.
In getting more details of these home runs from my friend he told me that Sam McDowell gave up both homers. With that I got very existed because the following day was Wahoo Winterfest, an event the Indians would have just before the start of spring training. Anyway one of the guest speakers that day was Sam McDowell. So my friend and myself went down to ask Sam about the homers. During the seminar they took questions from the audience so my friend said to Sam ď I was at a game in May of 1968 and you gave up two home runs to Frank Howard ď. To witch Sam replied ď picky, picky, picky ď. After the crowd stopped laughing I said ď We donít care that you gave up the home runs, we just want to know how fare they went. After the crowd stopped laughing again he said. Well the first one I threw him a fastball, he hit it so hard I thought it was going into orbit. It landed in the first section of the upper deck in left field, half way up in the yellow seats and a few seats from the railing. He said if he would have hit it about four feet towards center that it would have gone out of the stadium. He then said that the next one he threw him another fastball and that he must not have gotten all of that one because it landed two sections to the left in the last row of red seats. Samís recollection of the events matched what my friend saw perfectly.
After the seminar I walked over and I asked Sam why the Indians consider Luke Easterís home run the farthest at the stadium. He asked me, who did Luke Easter play for? I said the Indians. He asked who did Frank Howard play for? I said the Senators. He said thatís your answer.
As we walked out of the seminar I bumped into Indians VP and head of PR Bob Dibiaso. So I asked him why Easterís is considered the farthest home run and he told me because right field is farther at the stadium. I told him that I had a copy of the blueprints and that the stadium is symmetrical. He said that my blueprints are wrong. I told him that he was crazy and walked away. I actually think there is a conspiracy and a cover up in the organization.
My favorite part of the story is this. One day after working a game against the Yankees, I used to usher.
I waited outside the Yankee locker room to ask Frank Howard, who was coaching first base for the Yankees, if he remembered the home runs. When he came out of the locker room I asked him if I could ask him few questions and if he could follow me up into the grandstand. To my surprise he said yes. As we stood in a tunnel in the lower deck behind home plate I pointed up into the upper deck where he hit the home runs. He told me that he wouldnít doubt that he hit balls up there but he said he hit so many balls like that that he has no idea where they landed. He said that when he played you hit the ball put your head down and ran the basses. He said he was sorry he couldnít help any more than that and I thanked him for his time.
Although he didnít give me the answer I was hoping for it was still a cool answer non-the less.
Since all of this happened I have met two other people that where at the game and they also confirmed where the balls landed. I have also found the box score on the internet the date was May 16, 1968

Here is a drawing that gives the distance on a flat line and the elevation at witch they struck the grandstand.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/telemudd/cmshoward.jpg

elmer
12-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Mike in El Paso, TX

This homer could be a true 500 footer. balls flew out of Navin/Briggs/Tiger better than anywhere else. Babe liked this park best.
The flag pole was on the back end of the roof overlooking the street. A line from home plate thru this point to the Brooks roof
is 492' from home plate. The lumber company roof at that point was about 15 above the sidewalk.

elmer
11-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Long home runs over Griffith Stadium RF wall

carsdaddy
11-20-2014, 05:51 AM

That is incorrect , Dave Kingman hit the longest Verified homerun in M.L. B history 550 feet. You can see the homerun on Youtube and measure it on goole map and see for yourself.