PDA

View Full Version : WBC 2009 Rosters

MikeSA
01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Would anyone be able to post any of the possible rosters for the teams of the 2009 WBC?

Mischa
01-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Would anyone be able to post any of the possible rosters for the teams of the 2009 WBC?

I don't understand the question. Do you want people to guess at what the rosters will be? If so, there's already a thread for that. Or do you want to know what preliminary rosters have been released? If so, go to http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/2009_World_Baseball_Classic_(Rosters) - the other teams are required to release their preliminary rosters today.

quinnystar27
01-18-2009, 03:20 AM
I only know so far about the venezuelan national team. The 45 man roster has been set.
Johan Santana, Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Zambrano, Francisco Rodríguez, Félix Hernández, Magglio Ordóñez, Carlos Guillén, Dióner Navarro, Celestino López, César y Máicer Izturis, Melvin Mora, Ramón Hernández, Omar Vizquel, Juan Rivera, Endy Chávez, Grégor Blanco, Marco Scutaro, Armando Galarraga, Renyel Pinto. are the big names on the list, carlos carrasco, abreu, pablo sandoval are also on the list.

the two big names that are not on the list are Freddy Garcia and Kelvim escobar who cannot play do to injuries or focusing on the club team. Also Anibal Sanchez is on the list yet he has made it clear that he does not want to play.
that is all the information i have for now.

Pere
01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Here's the 45-man preliminary roster for Cuba...

Catchers:
Ariel Pestano, Rolando Meriño, Yosvani Peraza, Yenier Bello and Eriel Sánchez.

Infielders:
Alexander Mayeta, Héctor Olivera, Yulieski Gourriel, Michel Enríquez, Eduardo Paret, Yadil Mujica, Yoandy Garlobo, Luis Miguel Navas, Rudy Reyes, Yorelvis Charles, José Dariel Abreu and Donald Duarte.

Outfielders:
Alfredo Despaigne, Yoandry Urgellés, Frederich Cepeda, Alexei Bell, Leonys Martín, Giorvis Duvergel, Yoelvis Fiss, Leslie Anderson, Yohenis Céspedes and Osmani Urrutia.

Pitchers:
Pedro Luis Lazo, Jonder Martínez, Luis Miguel Rodríguez, Aroldis Chapman, Norge Luis Vera, Yunieski Maya, Yulieski González, Miguel Lahera, Norberto González, Vladimir García, Yadiel Pedroso, Ismel Jiménez, Maikel Folch, Reinier Roibal, Vicyohandri Odelín, Yaumier Sánchez, Yolexis Ulacia and Wilber Pérez.

(Mischa, your link needs an edit.)

Mischa
01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
(Mischa, your link needs an edit.)

Fixed the link.

Mischa
01-19-2009, 04:49 PM
The rosters have all been officially announced. I've gotten about half on the Baseball-Reference list - http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/2009_World_Baseball_Classic_%28Rosters%29 - and hope to have the rest up within the hour.

BTW, the Cuban version at the WBC official site is hilarious - Ariel Estano instead of Pestano, Albertin Chapman instead of Aroldis, Yosbany Peraza instead of Yosvany (or Yosvani). I know Cuban players tend to change the spelling of their name often, but these are silly. Hope they fix these typos!

cutchemist42
01-20-2009, 01:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2009/news/story?id=3844575

ESPN has VERY good roster charts, better then whats even on the WBC site with actual listings of the foreign leagues and their teams. Also, I'm sure the Netherlands are happy about Halman deciding to be on the preliminary.

SDL
01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2009/news/story?id=3844575

ESPN has VERY good roster charts, better then whats even on the WBC site with actual listings of the foreign leagues and their teams. Also, I'm sure the Netherlands are happy about Halman deciding to be on the preliminary.

I see that no Dutch-Americans are on the roster :( I know for a fact that one current Dutch-American would LOVE to play for The Orange

cutchemist42
01-20-2009, 11:04 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-21-cubs-bits-chicagojan21,0,1427158.story

Well atleast our position players are good......up until a few days ago I never realized JUST how thin of a field Canada had for pitchers. Yikes....

Fukudome = God
01-20-2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-21-cubs-bits-chicagojan21,0,1427158.story

Well atleast our position players are good......up until a few days ago I never realized JUST how thin of a field Canada had for pitchers. Yikes....

Funny you mention that because i just got done writing a post about Harden missing the WBC on the Cubs forum.

Not only Harden and Dempster, Canada will also be without Jeff Francis. Very tough luck for them.

Two other major-league starters, Jeff Francis of the Colorado Rockies and Rich Harden of the Chicago Cubs, also won't be able to play for Canada because of shoulder injuries, leaving Canada's rotation in disarray.

"It's very disappointing not to play for Canada but my No. 1 priority is the Cubs," Harden, of Victoria, told the Victoria Times Colonist. "I've just started to throw and it [March] is too soon for me."

Greg Hamilton, the general manager of Canada's team, confirmed last night that Francis will not join the team because of an injury.

"He's not going to be able to play," Hamilton said of the North Delta, B.C., native. "His shoulder's really bothering him."

Link- http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090120.wsptwbc20/GSStory/GlobeSportsBaseball/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20090120.wsptwbc20

NewEnglandAmazins
01-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Provisional Rosters were released on Monday:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090119&content_id=3750088&vkey=wbc&team=
http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/rosters/index.jsp?season=2009

Raza
01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
I see that no Dutch-Americans are on the roster :( I know for a fact that one current Dutch-American would LOVE to play for The Orange

Can you explain that to me? What do you mean by Dutch-Americans?

cutchemist42
01-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Wow, wake up the next morning and now see the Jeff Francis thing. Like its just really weird to me. All this time of praising Morneau/Bay/Votta and Dempster and Harden and only now do I realize, Canada doesnt produce pitchers!!

Raza
01-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Double message, sorry.

SDL
01-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Can you explain that to me? What do you mean by Dutch-Americans?

An American of Dutch descent :) In my case, my father was from there and in the player's case it was his grandparents (or great-grandparents)

I noticed that there are none on the roster. Itlay, however has many Americans of Italian descent on their roster. And if you loook at the Greek roster from the 2004, a lot of players had non-Greek names (descent from mother's side)

Canadutch
01-21-2009, 04:10 PM

Maybe no Dutch-Americans, but a Dutch-Canadian... close enough ;)

Mischa
01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Maybe no Dutch-Americans, but a Dutch-Canadian... close enough ;)

Congratulations, Leon. Hope you make the final cut. With guys like Martis, Jurrjens, Cordemans, Bergman, Vanden Hurk and Markwell, it's not an easy roster to make.

DownUnderDodger
01-22-2009, 08:57 PM
The Aussie roster is as follows:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2009/news/story?id=3845126
I haven't heard of any not wanting to play!

Richard
01-25-2009, 08:03 AM
I read that Carlos Lee will play for Panama.

quinnystar27
02-24-2009, 08:32 AM
People are saying the US is a heavy favorite and they have the team first mentality this time around. But after watching some practices and information present and talking to some players, i believe that the real teams with team first mindset are Korea and Puerto Rico. Japan is not on the list but should be mentioned because japanese culture suggest that team first, country first, collective good first. But Japan this time has something to prove, after a disaster in Beijing and the last world baseball classic they made it through a tie breaker I believe after being in Miyazaki camp and okinawa that they are thinking to much about it.

Korea, is ready, they do not have 3 majors players and without Lee I do not think they will do as well as last time. But last time they had the best record at 6-1, so even a 4-3 or 5-2 record will still be good. But korea is practicing hard and they are preparing mentality. Korean players are saying we are korea.. Players are working with each other after practice session going over batters together, how to face pitchers. A korean friend of mine is saying they feel ready and do not feel the same pressure to prove themselves. Also my friend said he watch 4 practices (each practice 3 to4 hours long) were the infielders even backup did not a make a single error. Of course I am not sure how honest this information is.

Puerto Rico, I think PR is not so much team first as country first. PR players want to make a statement showing how much PR baseball has improved and to honor it's rich culture. Delgado stated he was honor to wear Clemente's number. A lot of PR players committed early and haven't left. That is not to say that some that should of gone are there. But Beltran, Delgado, Rodriguez, molina, rios committed early and stuck to their commitments. PR is ready to play and ready to wear their country uniform.

Mike_Piazza
02-25-2009, 02:44 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/wbc/2009/rosters/index.jsp?team=ita&season=2009&lang=1

Many italians,some italian-americans from Italian League and many italian-americans.
I Think we have a decent team,i'm very curious,of course we have no chance vs Venezuela and USA but i'll enjoy the games.

Rennie Stennett
02-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Among the newcomers is 22-year-old Nippon Ham Fighters right-handed pitcher Yu Darvish, who went 16-4 with a 1.88 ERA and 208 strikeouts (200.2 IP) in 2008.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090225&content_id=3882244&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I read somewhere that Ichiro batted third in the two games vs the Aussies and will continue there for the remander of the WBC.

quinnystar27
02-27-2009, 07:11 AM
I saw team japan in miyazaki and ichiro has been batting third the whole time. I think that that the reason for this is because of ichiro high batting average. Also hard to believe is is not the fastest guy in the camp. I dont know the name of the guys who were faster then ichiro but there were 3 guys who beat him in sprints. I think it would be a interesting format but it did work against korea and cuba. I think the big question here is japan's pitching, Yu darvish is unproven, ishikawa is also unproven. And even though i am a big fan of matsuzaka i dont know if he can carry a young pitching staff. But they shouldnt have to worry about strong batting lineups and power hitters until the semifinals

USA09
02-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Watch for Aoki to have a big Classic and be this year's Daisuke.

Tetsuwan
02-27-2009, 08:14 AM
I think that that the reason for this is because of ichiro high batting average. Also hard to believe is is not the fastest guy in the camp. I dont know the name of the guys who were faster then ichiro but there were 3 guys who beat him in sprints.
Ichiro is already 35 years old and it's no wonder he is over the hill in physical ability.
I bet those three guys who beat Ichiro in spirints are Aoki, Kawasaki and Kataoka.
Among those, Kataoka is the fastest.

quinnystar27
02-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Ichiro is already 35 years old and it's no wonder he is over the hill in physical ability.

But even at 35 he still manages to steal 30+ bases, he is fast I bet he is one of the best base stealers in the AL. Thanks for the names, I know Aoki is fast i wonder if he will bat first and play center, but I am more interesting in who is going to be japan cleanup hitters, I know Inaba is probably very likely and maybe fukudome, ogasawara. The one thing i really want to see is Japanese pitching and small ball versus dominican power lineup or venezuelan hitting. I never really seen asian teams play against latin teams expect for cuba who plays good all round baseball.

laumi245
02-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Does anyone have a good idea of what has happened to Alexei Bell? I know he got hit in the face on opening day of the serie nacional but was the injurie so serious as to keep this guy off the national team? I really think this guy was going to give Cuba a legitimate chance to win the tournament this time. After a monster season last year followed by a monster olympics, he really had surpased Gourriel as the best cuban player IMO.

I would appreciate if someone can post his numbers so far this year and if they have any good info on what has happened.

Mischa
02-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Does anyone have a good idea of what has happened to Alexei Bell? I know he got hit in the face on opening day of the serie nacional but was the injurie so serious as to keep this guy off the national team? I really think this guy was going to give Cuba a legitimate chance to win the tournament this time. After a monster season last year followed by a monster olympics, he really had surpased Gourriel as the best cuban player IMO.

I would appreciate if someone can post his numbers so far this year and if they have any good info on what has happened.

Bell has stunk in 2008-2009, which is why he was left off the national team. He's at .232/~.335/.355 at the halfway point of the season.

laumi245
03-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Bell has stunk in 2008-2009, which is why he was left off the national team. He's at .232/~.335/.355 at the halfway point of the season.

Thanks, I guess that hit by pitch has affected him a lot. Hopefully he can bounce back next year, because it would be a major waste of talent.

gojays
03-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Team Canada's projected ace is Scott Richmond...:eek:

Rennie Stennett
03-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Yu darvish is a freak (in a good way) dude ! I wouldn't want to face him.
I'm looking forward to watching him.

Yu Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIUeoBrqjHk

Mischa
03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Team Canada's projected ace is Scott Richmond...:eek:

Lots of teams are missing their top pitchers, though hitters are much better represented.

Panama: No Mariano Rivera
Netherlands: No Jair Jurrjens or Shairon Martis
Venezuela: No Johan Santana
USA: No CC Sabathia or Brandon Webb
Taiwan: No Wei-Lun Pan, Hong-Chih Kuo or En-Yu Lin (among others absent)

Japan might not be missing its aces, but guys like Hiroki Kuroda and Kenshin Kawakami could have figured in the mix for rotation spots and Hitoki Iwase is absent from the bullpen.

quinnystar27
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM
of course most teams are missing key players and they are normally pitchers. But things we learned in the last classic that starting pitchers are not going to be used a lot. Most pitchers avg. 4 to 5 innings. Only two guys went to 14 innings. I think what will be key is relievers not starters. Venezuela lost to cuba when it put carrera to replace santana and then cuba scored liked 6 runs. So relievers have a harder job because a starter knows he got 70 pitches to use and will probably use them in one go. But a relievers got to be smarter with his pitches because he might be used more then once in round.

Right now with current drop of players at the last minute which teams looks to be the most prepared. I am saying Korea and Cuba, obviously cuba isn't goin to lose players unless due to injury. Korea has a strong team and seem to be doing well. Japan doesn't have ichiro in top from. And the teams for the americas are losing players.