• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yankeefan90
    The Italian Yankee Boy
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SBBL View Post
    [QUOTE}YANKEEFAN90. . . Also as a white American with Italian ancestry I find that for all 30 teams to immortalize only an African-American pioneer for the sport is rascist.

Very sad how easy it is for you to spew forth the vile resentment born of bigotry. You must be the type that always has that great quip on MLK day also. Hasn't anybody taught you that Italians and Africans have the same ancestry ? You have the same ancestry as Jackie Robinson.

You are an ignorant, despicable racist. Shame on you and the vile, ignorant parents that raised you.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I wrote anything rascist and I think you took what I said totally out of context. All I said was that there are plenty of other pioneers of the sport that are not immortalized by the rest of baseball the way Jackie Robinson is. I think you also ignored what I said at first that what he did for the sport was great. Jackie Robinson was a great man, and a good ballplayer, and for me I don't even look at the color of his skin but the level he played ball. And SBBL I think you are the ignorant one, for totally attacking my parents and the way I was raised. Just because I disagreed with you about something, you went and attacked my family and where I come from, that to mke is ignorance at the highest degree.

Anyway, I'm done with having to defend myself and what I believe. Citi Field is a nice ballpark but like I wrote before I think there is a little too much homage to the Dodgers and Giants. I liked the idea that onemoredayatshea had suggested here: naming the rotunda after Willie Mays, a pioneer that actually played for the Mets.
    Last edited by Yankeefan90; 08-28-2007, 07:37 PM.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

• Yankeefan90
      The Italian Yankee Boy
      • Jul 2007

And I'm sorry if anyone was offended in anyway by what I wrote, as I don't think I wrote anything rascist and I certainly was not trying to say anything rascist. I hope some of you here see that I wasn't trying to be malicious, and if you don't than I'm sorry that you think I'm a horrible person and that you would attack my family.

Comment

• CitiFieldIsNoShea
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by gemcaptom View Post
        Uh i think its all way too much Dodgers.. I root for the Mets, the idea of Ebbets is cool and i respect the JR Rotunda to an extent, but jerseys and photos of Dodgers and memorablila aint right, I dont bleed Dodger Blue. So anyone else think its wrong if you walk into the front of the Mets ballpark and see Dodgers crap like photos and such?? I want to see Seaver, Hernandez, carter, Strawberry, Gooden, Harrelson, Agee, Ryan, Mays , Mookie , etc, etc hanging on the walls.. You know former Mets greats
        I know I would buy some strawberries and cream or even a glass of wine if i ever wind up on the club level from Gil's grapes.

Freddy is forgetting the last 47 years. The Mets have a history too, it may not be as romantic as the Dodgers history is to him, but there are thousands who have grown up with just the Mets and never the Dodgers. I don't see how the Mets history is being displayed in the new park. I know that if the ballpark at Atlantic Yards had been build 60 years ago, the Mets would have been a team playing in L.A., but they aren't. They are a team which has written an incredible story here in Queens, playing at a big blue ballpark, as much of a dump as it may be, it's our dump, the Mets dump.

As Jerry Seinfeld once said about the Mets two championships, "it's not about the number of titles, it's the story. And I wouldn't trade the Mets World Series titles for 26."

Comment

• nymTom
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
          And I'm sorry if anyone was offended in anyway by what I wrote, as I don't think I wrote anything rascist and I certainly was not trying to say anything rascist. I hope some of you here see that I wasn't trying to be malicious, and if you don't than I'm sorry that you think I'm a horrible person and that you would attack my family.

Im not pulling the race card on anyone at all. I just find it odd to walk into the Mets ballpark and see Dodgers crap.. This kind of reminds me of the movie Do The Right Thing (Spike Lee) when all the Black people wanted Sal an Italian pizza store owner to put pictures of famous black people on his restaurant wall instead of just Italians since he was in the middle of a black neighborhood and ofcourse a ruckus pursued when he refused staging an all out riot.. Hello people,, this is not a racial issue.. I just want some Damn Mets crap on that rotunda wall, haha Is that too much to ask!!
          Last edited by nymTom; 08-28-2007, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Elvis
            Team Veteran
            • Jul 2004

I'm much more offended by the "race card" being played by your attacker. AND his insulting your mom. You just don't call mom stupid from the cowardly keyboard.

Comment

• Urbanshocker13
              More than a cool name!
              • Aug 2007

[QUOTE}YANKEEFAN90. . . Also as a white American with Italian ancestry I find that for all 30 teams to immortalize only an African-American pioneer for the sport is rascist.

Very sad how easy it is for you to spew forth the vile resentment born of bigotry. You must be the type that always has that great quip on MLK day also. Hasn't anybody taught you that Italians and Africans have the same ancestry ? You have the same ancestry as Jackie Robinson.

You are an ignorant, despicable racist. Shame on you and the vile, ignorant parents that raised you.
              I don't realy see how what he said was racist? At least not a bad to have a responce like that! I personaly am glad to see Jackie's number Retired, he did alot of good for basball and the country. (Larry Doby dosen't get enough credit he went though the same stuff.) But I also see it as baseball overcompensating for years of racism and bigotry. and it comes across a little Phoney if you ask me! I don't think this kid is racist or has a racist bone in his body. You don't know him and I don't see how you can attack him and his family like that! Jackie was a great player and a great man, if someone thinks he dosen't belong in a mets stadium because he wasn't a met dosen't make them a racist! BTW I think Ruth should have his number retired though out basball too, He changed the game forever not like Jackie but hid did change it!
              39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
              2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

• Sean O
                • May 2005

You are an ignorant, despicable racist. Shame on you and the vile, ignorant parents that raised you.
                Jesus, re-lax. Wouldn't it be great to live in a country where people don't throw around the term racist every time someone mentions another's ethnicity? I don't agree with YankeeFan, but to attack him and his family like that is pretty ridiculous.

Racism is helped more by hair-trigger reactionism than anything else. Take a deep breath, and attack the argument, not the person.
                http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

• Yankeefan90
                  The Italian Yankee Boy
                  • Jul 2007

I don't think I explained it quite right. What I meant was I don't think Jackie Robinson should be the only pioneer that should be honored in every stadium throughout baseball. I think Larry Doby was mentioned, and there is also Roberto Clemente who should be honored, he was one of the most prominent hispanic players in the game and a great humanitarian. I'm also a big advocate of having Babe Ruth's number retired through out baseball, he was such a big impact on the game, just like the people I mentioned here. Now I'm not in agreement to name the rotunda in Citi Field after Jackie Robinson, he never played for the Mets, I would have been perfectly happy if they named it after Willie Mays but I'm not going to be all upset or anything. I'll still got to the ballgame and watch the game regardless of who the rotunda is named after.

Great Pics of Citi Field, it's really coming along nicely. It really looks great.

Comment

• nymTom
                    • Aug 2007

I don't think I explained it quite right. What I meant was I don't think Jackie Robinson should be the only pioneer that should be honored in every stadium throughout baseball. I think Larry Doby was mentioned, and there is also Roberto Clemente who should be honored, he was one of the most prominent hispanic players in the game and a great humanitarian. I'm also a big advocate of having Babe Ruth's number retired through out baseball, he was such a big impact on the game, just like the people I mentioned here. Now I'm not in agreement to name the rotunda in Citi Field after Jackie Robinson, he never played for the Mets, I would have been perfectly happy if they named it after Willie Mays but I'm not going to be all upset or anything. I'll still got to the ballgame and watch the game regardless of who the rotunda is named after.

Great Pics of Citi Field, it's really coming along nicely. It really looks great.

I get what your saying... The problem i have with the Rotunda is simple. There is no representation of the team that will be playing there. You would think the Mets had no history and was just a recent expansion team. There is Nothing wrong with honoring someone and i think MLB did that. For the Mets to memorialize(is that a word) their entire entrance to a player that has NO ties to the Mets is weird. They gonna sell Dodger jersey there also??? Like i said its a slap in the face to Mets fans of old and New and to the former greats that dawned the Mets uniform!!!

Comment

• Elvis
                      Team Veteran
                      • Jul 2004

I get what your saying... The problem i have with the Rotunda is simple. There is no representation of the team that will be playing there. You would think the Mets had no history and was just a recent expansion team. There is Nothing wrong with honoring someone and i think MLB did that. For the Mets to memorialize(is that a word) their entire entrance to a player that has NO ties to the Mets is weird. They gonna sell Dodger jersey there also??? Like i said its a slap in the face to Mets fans of old and New and to the former greats that dawned the Mets uniform!!!
                      I advocated it being called Strawberry Fields, but my idea was shot down.

Comment

• Onemoredayatshea27
                        Hey Boo!
                        • Jul 2007

I like Jackie Robinson, but the only former Dodger that should be commemorated in a Mets stadium is Gil Hodges. He made the loveable losers into Amazin Mets. Had Gil lived longer the Mets would have more then 2 championships today.
                        sigpic

D-Rex!

Comment

• Yankeefan90
                          The Italian Yankee Boy
                          • Jul 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if they did have Dodger stuff at the new ballpark, not LA Dodgers but Brooklyn. I really think that Fred Wilpon would do something like that because of the big Dodger fan he was. They probaly will sell Jackie's jerseys or Hodge's jerseys or something like that. I personally would think that's annoying, if I was a Mets fan I would feel like the Wilpons are trying to turn the Mets into the Dodger's mini-me.

Comment

• Onemoredayatshea27
                            Hey Boo!
                            • Jul 2007

If the Dodgers did not exist in L.A. in 2009 you'd hear, Welcome to Citi Field home of the New York Dodgers. The Dodgers were formerly called the Mets until Jeff Wilpon thought the name change would commemorate his Brooklyn Dodgers who he grew up watching.
                            sigpic

D-Rex!

Comment

• Yankeefan90
                              The Italian Yankee Boy
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Onemoredayatshea27 View Post
                              If the Dodgers did not exist in L.A. in 2009 you'd hear, Welcome to Citi Field home of the New York Dodgers. The Dodgers were formerly called the Mets until Jeff Wilpon thought the name change would commemorate his Brooklyn Dodgers who he grew up watching.
                              LOL, that's pretty funny. I can just see that happening too. I really think the Wilpons are obsessed at trying to turn the Mets into the second coming of the Brooklyn Dodgers. It's really sad because alot Mets fans root for the Mets not because of some connection to the NL teams of old but because they like the Mets. I don't think the Wilpons understand that, they think NY still bleeds Dodger blue and only watch the Mets because they're the connection to the Dodgers, that's the only explaination to all the Ebbets this and the Duke that.

Comment

• Onemoredayatshea27
                                Hey Boo!
                                • Jul 2007

Yeah. I envy the fact that the Yankees have their own identity. I mean everyone recognizes the pinstripes, the facade, and the NY symbol. What is unique about the Mets, the homerun apple? Now we're given a genreric HOK stadium, and instead of Mets memoibilia we're given Brooklyn Dodger relics? I feel cheeped as a Met fan, that instead of reading about Tom Seaver, it'll be Duke Snider, and Pee Wee Reese instead of Keith Hernandez. I'm glad they kept the apple, but I hate being forcefed something I shouldn't love.

Besides my Grandpa and Uncle were and are Giant fans from back then. So how would they feel walking into Citi Field. They'd only go to watch the Mets.
                                sigpic

D-Rex!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X