PDA

View Full Version : Fungo infield fly balls?

2zwudz
04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
OK! I am having trouble hitting fungo fly balls to the infield, can I get some advice or tips? I have good control hitting to the outfield but I can't get the infield trajectory figured out.

Mark

rbgrubbs
04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
My secret....

Old Tennis racket and "IncriBalls" for both outfield and infield fly balls

Jake Patterson
04-27-2009, 12:58 PM
OK! I am having trouble hitting fungo fly balls to the infield, can I get some advice or tips? I have good control hitting to the outfield but I can't get the infield trajectory figured out.

Mark
there is definately an aquired technique... I found hitting them softly with a fungo worked for me. A gree with the above Tennis Racket suggestion.. We also used that with great success.
Jake

Jake Patterson
04-27-2009, 01:00 PM
My secret....

Old Tennis racket and "IncriBalls" for both outfield and infield fly balls
outfield - use a pitching machine...

benz99
04-27-2009, 03:09 PM
I use this from time to time

http://ultimatesportsstore.com/Easton-Hyperlaunch-Ball-Thrower/A/B000HDKX3E.htm

THop
04-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Mark,

Tilt your shoulders and contact the ball while itís still over your head.

THop

jbolt_2000
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't have a technique or anything. I think I just am able to do it through lots of practice (and laughing from my players) :o . It took a couple years to be confident enough that I can do it pretty well now. In fact, just the other day one of my players told me he was impressed with how well I can locate the ball to each fielder.

I still have trouble with pop-ups to the catcher though. It is definitely hard to simulate a fowl pop-up to the catcher.

THop
04-27-2009, 07:27 PM

THop
04-27-2009, 07:28 PM
"I still have trouble with pop-ups to the catcher though".

Meee too

Jake Patterson
04-27-2009, 07:35 PM
"I still have trouble with pop-ups to the catcher though".

Meee too
Throw them! 25 years and I still can't hit a fly ball to a catcher.
Jake

Cannonball
04-27-2009, 08:17 PM
:gtWe have a drill called "air raid" where we keep 2 balls in the air at all times. My assistant coaches and I hit them. So, actually, 3 of us rotating. I took the catcher all of the time. I love getting one to look like a pea in the air and then having it come back down. Fungo hitting is an art. Toss the ball up on the inside portion of your face. Then, swing upward and go get it. Concentrate on the ball and don't force it. I'm not good at explaining it. I love doing it. We (Coaching staff) hit the "air raid" but had the kids vote on the best each round so it was very competitive. We also put buckets out and tried to get balls into buckets. My assistant, who replaced me as head coach, to prove a point that I was an old man would hit one out every once in a while to all fields. It's 390 to center at our field and so, I could never generate enough swing speed to get it out there. Still, I always had that catcher ball to fall back on. I would have to say that he was getting pretty good at hitting that one as well.

If you want to be good at hitting fungoes, get a bucket or two or ... and go practice. You'll learn how to get it done.

Emanski's Heroes
04-28-2009, 07:38 AM
The thing I've found helpful when hitting infield popups is using a kids regular bat rather than a fungo. I guess the large barrel gives me a little more margin for error and seems to make it easier to give the kids quality reps.

THop
04-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Jake,

With all the BP I have thrown in my life I actually hear less snap, crackle, and pop hitting vs. throwing them to the catcher.

THop