PDA

View Full Version : who was 1st MLB player not to wear stirrups?

withfood
05-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Questions are -Who was 1st player not to wear stirrups?
Who was 1st player to wear batting gloves?
When did spectators start wearing the colors and/or team jerseys to games?

Victory Faust
05-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I think Ken Harrelson wore golf gloves during the 60s, although I don't know if he was the first.

There's a guy on the ESPN site who runs a blog called Uni Watch. I think if you emailed him, he might be able to answer your first two questions.

As far as your third question goes: I know that team jerseys were rare when I was a kid in the early 1970s. My brother and I would go to Tiger Stadium proudly clad in our own homemade jerseys: We'd take plain white tee-shirts and use a black magic marker to draw the Olde English D on the front, along with the piping.

I would always put "Cash, 25" on the back of my shirt; my brother would always put "Kaline, 6."

I know this sounds incredibly ghetto, but we weren't the only kids who did this. Back then it was difficult, if not impossible, to find real jerseys.

sturg1dj
05-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I think Ken Harrelson wore golf gloves during the 60s, although I don't know if he was the first.

There's a guy on the ESPN site who runs a blog called Uni Watch. I think if you emailed him, he might be able to answer your first two questions.

As far as your third question goes: I know that team jerseys were rare when I was a kid in the early 1970s. My brother and I would go to Tiger Stadium proudly clad in our own homemade jerseys: We'd take plain white tee-shirts and use a black magic marker to draw the Olde English D on the front, along with the piping.

I would always put "Cash, 25" on the back of my shirt; my brother would always put "Kaline, 6."

I know this sounds incredibly ghetto, but we weren't the only kids who did this. Back then it was difficult, if not impossible, to find real jerseys.

Commissioner Ueberroth and Marvin Miller were two of the biggest reasons for the licensing boom on apparel. So this would be in the 80's.

According to Marvin Miller, Bowie Kuhn was too old school and didn't see the potential in licensing. Peter Ueberroth did not have that problem.

EdTarbusz
05-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I've seen pictures of Ted Williams wearing a golf glove while hitting. I've read that he did that sometimes late in his carrer if he didn't get enough ABs during spring training. I've also seen pics of Williams wearing a shin guard at the plate.