PDA

View Full Version : Which MLB baseball field has the largest/smallest square footage?

Armando Criscione
06-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know if this info is published anywhere? I am talking about only the field of play (fair territory)...not the entire stadium itself.

Anubis2051
06-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know if this info is published anywhere? I am talking about only the field of play (fair territory)...not the entire stadium itself.

I think it might be Oakland, not sure though.

Yankees12
06-26-2009, 08:04 PM
If I had to take a guess, I'd say Coors or Minute Maid have the largest square footage. As for the smallest, I have no idea.

(If you were to count foul territory too, it'd have to be Oakland, but when it's only fair territory I doubt it.)

Seattle1
06-26-2009, 08:08 PM
I would guess Coors as well.

Anubis2051
06-26-2009, 08:40 PM
If I had to take a guess, I'd say Coors or Minute Maid have the largest square footage. As for the smallest, I have no idea.

(If you were to count foul territory too, it'd have to be Oakland, but when it's only fair territory I doubt it.)

Whoops, misread that. I thought you said with foul. I'd say Coors or Citi.

bandit12
06-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I would guess Wrigley or Fenway as smallest if you are just counting the playing field.

Anubis2051
06-26-2009, 11:44 PM
I would guess Wrigley or Fenway as smallest if you are just counting the playing field.

Fenway? With that left field? no way. I think all time would have to be the polo grounds for sure.

This chart makes me think it might be Dolphin Stadium, Nationals park, or Rogers Center.

http://www.flipflopflyin.com/flipflopflyball/info-majorleaguefields.png

As for smallest, AT&T perhaps?

Seattle1
06-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Remember the OP said field of play only. That means the square footage in between the lines out to the fence. (Discard foul territory.) I would think it would have to be Coors, wouldn't it?

marlins739
06-27-2009, 08:26 AM
I wonder if those diagrams are to scale. If so, Dolphin Stadium looks like it's right up there too. There's not much foul territory there

ipitch
06-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Fenway? With that left field? no way.

Are you saying that left field at Fenway is large?

Seattle1
06-27-2009, 09:31 AM
I wonder if those diagrams are to scale.

I don't think they are. Looks like that graphic is just intended to compare the general configurations of all the fields.

It looks to me like they have all been scaled to look approximately the same size.

Anubis2051
06-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Are you saying that left field at Fenway is large?

I shouldn't post things at 2 am anymore... Thought you said largest. Yeah that sounds about right then.

Philtration
06-27-2009, 10:38 PM

Not really.
The field dimensions at Wrigley are not that small and it is the closeness of the seats that make it seem that way.
The left/center power ally and the distance behind home plate are short but that is about it.
The distance down the foul lines are actually the longest in the majors.
I would guess that Citizens Bank Park, Great American Ballpark and Tropicana have to be among the smallest fields.

As far as the old places go... Braves Field looked tiny to me.

BigRon
06-28-2009, 08:47 AM
At one time Diamond Legends had a comprehensive section detailing dimensions and square footage of all Major League playing fields back to the late 1800s, including different incarnations of several parks.

Of course, DL is no longer in existence so I don't know what happened to this information. it was impressive, though.

Yankees12
06-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Actually, I doubt the smallest is Fenway. That RF is HUGE.

Progressive Field is another potential smallest. That field isn't big at all - it plays a bit bigger than it is thanks to the wall in right. I don't think it's the absolute smallest, but it has to be down there, I'd imagine.

gator92
06-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Here's what I've got, using my fence distance database, which has distances every 1 degree across the 90 degree arc of fair territory for each park. Overhangs not included. This should stand in pretty well for total fair ground area...

The smaller numbers mean the fences are shorter, and vice-versa...

Note that the top two both have extra-high LF fences, as does the fourth one on the list to a degree. On the deep end, Coors is at altitude, and Kauffman has medium-high altitude and high temperatures all summer.

Park Fence Avg. Dist.
Fenway Park -9.4
Jacobs Field -8.2
Citizens Bank Park -7.9
Great American Ball Park -7.6
Tropicana Field -6.6
U.S. Cellular Field -6.2
Minute Maid Park -6.0
Oriole Park at Camden Yards -4.0
New Yankee Stadium -3.9
Metrodome -3.4
Dodger Stadium -3.3