PDA

View Full Version : Following your team throughout the year

DodgerBlue8188
10-25-2009, 12:01 AM
This year was a sad year for me as a Dodgers fan. Not just because they lost once again in the NLCS. But because I had followed them very closely from opening day. I kept a scrape book throughout the season. Stayed up countless nights till 1-2 am in the morning (east coast time) so I could watch the until the end of their games. I left a class early so I could watch the beginning of game 1 of the divisional series. I started to get stressed out on a small scale because I was worried I might have class during a game of the NLCS or World series and worst case scenario class on game 7 of the World series.

Well, they didn't make the World series so I did worry about all that ceased to exist. I should not have left class early considering I would have only missed the first few innings of a game 1 (which means very little considering you swept the Cubs the previous year only to lose in the NLCS).

But my question is this. I wonder if it was more of a let down because of the commitment I had this year.

Bottom line is I honestly think I would have shed a tear because I can't help but get goosebumps when I watched certain games this year. All the walk offs and excitement on how good this team was. I wanted that feeling so bad. To just sit there and watch the Dodgers jump on each other and celebrate a World Series win. I've never seen it because I was too young to watch baseball in 1988. My dad is a big Dodgers fan and I think that might be one extra reason why I wanted a World Series championship even more. To be able to celebrate with him for the first time ever with a championship team.

But I've come to realize there are more important things in life than baseball. While I'm not addicted like some I do realize I need to take a step back because other parts of my life are suffering because of the dedication I had in 2009. I've made a pact that I won't stay up past a certain time just to finish watching a game in the regular season when there are 161 other games to watch. I do think it will be easier than in past years to do this for the simple fact that I have now watched this team not once but twice fail to make the World Series when coming so close. I won't be as worried about watching a game in the divisional series or early in the NLCS because we've been there done that. Only to fail.

What worries me though is that I won't have energy and excitement because of my less commitment in 2010. Now, I'll check the box score and recap everything morning because I have time. If it's on ESPN on Sunday night and I have no plans I'll watch the game.

But I can't follow them with the same degree anymore as I have in the past couple years because it's too hard to see them fail.

So to my original question. I'm sure some of you are like me on how you follow your team. But for those of you who rarely watch your team on tv, aren't able to watch the early playoff games. Is there still a great feeling of happiness when your team wins the World Series when you just watch the 7 games of the World Series? Because that's what i want (that feeling of happiness) but I can't be as committed as I have been anytime soon. School needs to come first, sleep is important, and life is short and while I do enjoy and love the Dodgers. I know that love will always be a one way street.

Sorry so long and thanks for reading. Hopefully some of you all can relate.

jnakamura
10-25-2009, 12:32 AM
This year was a sad year for me as a Dodgers fan. Not just because they lost once again in the NLCS. But because I had followed them very closely from opening day. I kept a scrape book throughout the season. Stayed up countless nights till 1-2 am in the morning (east coast time) so I could watch the until the end of their games. I left a class early so I could watch the beginning of game 1 of the divisional series. I started to get stressed out on a small scale because I was worried I might have class during a game of the NLCS or World series and worst case scenario class on game 7 of the World series.

Well, they didn't make the World series so I did worry about all that ceased to exist. I should not have left class early considering I would have only missed the first few innings of a game 1 (which means very little considering you swept the Cubs the previous year only to lose in the NLCS).

But my question is this. I wonder if it was more of a let down because of the commitment I had this year.

Bottom line is I honestly think I would have shed a tear because I can't help but get goosebumps when I watched certain games this year. All the walk offs and excitement on how good this team was. I wanted that feeling so bad. To just sit there and watch the Dodgers jump on each other and celebrate a World Series win. I've never seen it because I was too young to watch baseball in 1988. My dad is a big Dodgers fan and I think that might be one extra reason why I wanted a World Series championship even more. To be able to celebrate with him for the first time ever with a championship team.

But I've come to realize there are more important things in life than baseball. While I'm not addicted like some I do realize I need to take a step back because other parts of my life are suffering because of the dedication I had in 2009. I've made a pact that I won't stay up past a certain time just to finish watching a game in the regular season when there are 161 other games to watch. I do think it will be easier than in past years to do this for the simple fact that I have now watched this team not once but twice fail to make the World Series when coming so close. I won't be as worried about watching a game in the divisional series or early in the NLCS because we've been there done that. Only to fail.

What worries me though is that I won't have energy and excitement because of my less commitment in 2010. Now, I'll check the box score and recap everything morning because I have time. If it's on ESPN on Sunday night and I have no plans I'll watch the game.

But I can't follow them with the same degree anymore as I have in the past couple years because it's too hard to see them fail.

So to my original question. I'm sure some of you are like me on how you follow your team. But for those of you who rarely watch your team on tv, aren't able to watch the early playoff games. Is there still a great feeling of happiness when your team wins the World Series when you just watch the 7 games of the World Series? Because that's what i want (that feeling of happiness) but I can't be as committed as I have been anytime soon. School needs to come first, sleep is important, and life is short and while I do enjoy and love the Dodgers. I know that love will always be a one way street.

Sorry so long and thanks for reading. Hopefully some of you all can relate.

Nice post.

I can relate and can assure you that you have nothing to worry about. After moving to Portland and not having enough money for cable or even mlbtv, I spent this entire season without watching a single Dodger game, except for the ones that were on FOX's Saturday game of the week.

When the playoffs started I subscribed to the PostseasonTV package online and watched a few of the games on my computer. Rest assured, the passion, enthusiasm, enjoyment and disappointment was not any less than it would have been had I watched every single regular season game.

Just do what you gotta do and know come playoff time you'll still be just as excited and into it.

PS: Same thing with the Lakers. I reveled in this year's championship run just as much, even though I was limited in the number of regular season games I could see up here.

BTW, they really "hate" us Lakers fans up here. Hehehe

Pere
10-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Well... my first thought is, if two years of watching a good team not make it to the Series is enough to break you, then baseball may not be your game. The experience you've just had is way more common than winning it all.

I've made a pact that I won't stay up past a certain time just to finish watching a game in the regular season when there are 161 other games to watch.

I don't know that that's a good idea. I think you miss a lot by not watching complete games. I'd suggest watching fewer games, but among those that you do choose, try to stick with them.

sanket
10-25-2009, 08:47 AM
If you truly love the Dodgers, then stay up and watch them. Skip class to go support them. You can get the notes from a friend or online if your school offers that. But can you watch Andre Ethier hit a walk off homerun in a big series against the Rockies again? It's not the same to watch it on SportsCenter or on YouTube.

I have no idea who you are as a person, this is the first time I'm talking to you, but I can honestly say that I really, really admire your love and passion for your team. There's really nothing more important in the world than love and passion so do what you love.

DodgerBlue8188
10-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Nice post.

I can relate and can assure you that you have nothing to worry about. After moving to Portland and not having enough money for cable or even mlbtv, I spent this entire season without watching a single Dodger game, except for the ones that were on FOX's Saturday game of the week.

When the playoffs started I subscribed to the PostseasonTV package online and watched a few of the games on my computer. Rest assured, the passion, enthusiasm, enjoyment and disappointment was not any less than it would have been had I watched every single regular season game.

Just do what you gotta do and know come playoff time you'll still be just as excited and into it.

PS: Same thing with the Lakers. I reveled in this year's championship run just as much, even though I was limited in the number of regular season games I could see up here.

BTW, they really "hate" us Lakers fans up here. Hehehe

Thanks. I actually had mlb.tv the last 4 seasons. But I don't think I'm going to get it anymore because 1, I stay up too late like I said. It's really hard to stay focused at work and school when I stay up till 2 am back to back to back nights. The biggest reason though the quality is poor. It's always a 5 minute delay so I'll have friends message me if something exciting happens when I'm yet to see it. Or I'll somehow see an update on ESPN and ruin something exciting.

ChineseDemocracy
10-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Really?

Go ask a Pirate fan what it's like to lose every year.

I can't believe what I am reading. Another loss in the NLCS is going to diminish your passion for the team/game? Yeah it stinks a lot, I hate losing, especially to the same team in a series where the team just grabbed their ankles and, hmm, well...

You stayed up until 1 or 2, congrats. And you missed some class time. What about those of us who chose to go hungry for a few days to buy the cheapest seat in the house? Checking under the couch for change, deciding to do only one load of laundry that week, that sort of thing.

(And people PAY to watch sports when you can stream just about any event for free? I'm looking at my boy up north, jnakamura.)

LOLBLAZERFANS! :laugh

DClutch
10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
I probably watched another 150 plus Tiger games this year and dont plan on stopping anytime soon. If you love the team you keep watchin.

DodgerBlue8188
10-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Really?

Go ask a Pirate fan what it's like to lose every year.

I can't believe what I am reading. Another loss in the NLCS is going to diminish your passion for the team/game? Yeah it stinks a lot, I hate losing, especially to the same team in a series where the team just grabbed their ankles and, hmm, well...

You stayed up until 1 or 2, congrats. And you missed some class time. What about those of us who chose to go hungry for a few days to buy the cheapest seat in the house? Checking under the couch for change, deciding to do only one load of laundry that week, that sort of thing.

(And people PAY to watch sports when you can stream just about any event for free? I'm looking at my boy up north, jnakamura.)

LOLBLAZERFANS! :laugh

Seriously do you hate yourself? Half your posts I read show nothing but negativity. Not only that but your ignorance made you obviously miss the whole point of my thread.

Let me ask my question again. Can you still have that same feeling of enjoyment when your team finally wins the WS if you don't follow them as much as somebody who watches them almost everday.

DodgerBlue8188
10-25-2009, 06:39 PM
I probably watched another 150 plus Tiger games this year and dont plan on stopping anytime soon. If you love the team you keep watchin.

My main this isn't that I don't want to watch them. But I don't have as much time as I used to. I go to work full time and go to school at night. Having the Dodgers play at 10:30 eastern time makes it really hard for me to stay up late. Especially when I have work the next day and then school at night.

ChineseDemocracy
10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Seriously do you hate yourself? Half your posts I read show nothing but negativity. Not only that but your ignorance made you obviously miss the whole point of my thread.

Let me ask my question again. Can you still have that same feeling of enjoyment when your team finally wins the WS if you don't follow them as much as somebody who watches them almost everday.

I'm not negative, I'm objective and a realist.

And I can't answer that question because I was three months old when Gibson hit the home run.

Buntforahit
10-25-2009, 07:02 PM
My main this isn't that I don't want to watch them. But I don't have as much time as I used to. I go to work full time and go to school at night. Having the Dodgers play at 10:30 eastern time makes it really hard for me to stay up late. Especially when I have work the next day and then school at night.

If you need to sleep, sleep. Follow the boxscores everyday and watch them when physically possible, you're passion for them won't diminish as long as you know what's going on with them. Either way, when they finally win, you'll be just as happy. Although, if they win when you're living away from the Los Angeles area, it may not seem as exciting.
Question for you: Do you now have a strong dislike for the Phillies being as they knocked your Dodgers out two years in a row?
I started rooting for the Phillies in 1977, the first of consecutive years in which the Dodgers knocked the Phillies out for the NL pennant and I've had a strong dislike for them ever since. Although, they do have the nicest uniforms in MLB.

Bothrops Atrox
10-25-2009, 07:08 PM
When the Cards fail to make the playoofs, or crap and egg like they did in the NLCS this year - I always feel I wasted a big chunk of my life.

Buntforahit
10-25-2009, 07:09 PM
When the Cards fail to make the playoofs, or crap and egg like they did in the NLCS this year - I always feel I wasted a big chunk of my life.

... only to start all over again in April. BTW, the Cards crapped to bed in the NLDS, not the NLCS.

DodgerBlue8188
10-25-2009, 07:31 PM
If you need to sleep, sleep. Follow the boxscores everyday and watch them when physically possible, you're passion for them won't diminish as long as you know what's going on with them. Either way, when they finally win, you'll be just as happy. Although, if they win when you're living away from the Los Angeles area, it may not seem as exciting.
Question for you: Do you now have a strong dislike for the Phillies being as they knocked your Dodgers out two years in a row?
I started rooting for the Phillies in 1977, the first of consecutive years in which the Dodgers knocked the Phillies out for the NL pennant and I've had a strong dislike for them ever since. Although, they do have the nicest uniforms in MLB.

I'm sure I'll dislike seeing them win for many years. I remember when they came back and past the Mets several years ago I was happy to see them win.

However, a lot of it just has to do with the players as well. Victorino for example. You either love him or hate him and right now I hate him.

DClutch
10-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Speaking of heartbreak, I was the one witnessing the Tigers collapse this year. It felt great to see them win in 06, and especially this year, after continuing to follow them when they were in the gutter.

When they lost the Central this year, I didnt feel like I wasted my summer or anything, it just left me hungrier and more anxious for Spring to come.

In the end, just be happy that your team is successful, dont hang your hat on losing in the NLCS.

Trust me, I've seen "the best hitting team of all time" finish with 74 wins last year, it was tough to watch. And I also watched all 119 losses in 2003. I was overjoyed just with the fact that they were in contention in 2009.

You have a lot to be happy about though. The Dodgers are one of the most exciting teams I've ever seen, with all the young talent and characters on their team. That and the fact that they have been one of the top teams in baseball 2 straight years, just be happy thinking about what they need to do to make it over the hump. Watch them when you can, focus on the positive of being a baseball fan and a die hard of a crazy talented team like the Dodgers have..

Pere
10-26-2009, 03:33 PM

No, I don't think so.

Seattle1
10-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Sorry about your Dodgers, DodgerBlue. But I think it is just density again this year for the Phillies. Two World Series wins in a row for the worst team ever in the history of baseball (10,000 losses)! Wow! This is going to be something special, and I'm glad they're going to be whipping up on the Yankees to do it!

This would be like the Cubs winning the World Series twice in a row. You'd think it was the sign of the acropolis or something.

And don't feel too bad, the Mariners have still never even made it to the Big Dance (granted they haven't been around very long but still -- Marlins, Devil Rays, and Rockies have already made it). :cry:

Pere
10-26-2009, 04:40 PM
the sign of the acropolis

:laugh

You mean this?

http://images.travelpod.com/users/greekcypriot/3.1246077940.the-sign-informing-us.jpg

EdTarbusz
10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
This would be like the Cubs winning the World Series twice in a row. You'd think it was the sign of the acropolis or something.

If that were all it took, the world might have ended over 100 years ago.

Seattle1
10-30-2009, 09:20 AM

You mean this?

http://images.travelpod.com/users/greekcypriot/3.1246077940.the-sign-informing-us.jpg

Ha ha!

;)