• Show
Clear All
  • Elvis
    Team Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Citi Field

Details Emerge For New Mets Stadium

By JEFF FEINMAN

As pitchers and catchers head to Florida to join the Mets for Spring Training, the Queens Tribune has obtained a detailed report of the expected plans for the brand new stadium that will be home to the New York Mets. The $609 million stadium will hold 44,100 seats (an 11,900-seat reduction from Shea Stadium) and is expected to be ready for opening day 2009 after construction begins this summer.

The new stadium will be situated in the east parking lot of the current stadium, taking up approximately 74.5 acres. The design of the new stadium will emulate the historic Ebbets Field, former home of the Brooklyn Dodgers. As baseball fans and visitors flock to Met games, they will note that the stadium’s brick exterior will be lined with steel sculptures representing the many bridges that connect the different boroughs of New York City.

The New York Mets’ front office has not released any design plans or models of the new structure as of yet.
    Mets’ VP of Media Relations Jay Horowitz said that he and his staff are withholding comment until a detailed press conference that he said will take place within the next week.

A previous Ebbets Field style ballpark was shown off in 2001, but it had a retractable roof and other different features.

The Empire State Development Corporation, which provided the report, said there would be a public hearing on the proposed stadium Feb. 27 at Flushing Town Hall. “The purpose of our participation in the project is to maintain a world-class sports franchise in Queens and to facilitate the development of a major venue for sporting and other events,” read and ESDC.

Mets fans will be treated to a number of elegant and unique services that are not present in Shea Stadium. The Field Level will have an enclosed concourse called the “Home Plate Club,” consisting of 10 suites, lounges, bars, restrooms, and up-close views of the field. Above that is the Main Concourse, which will have plenty of space for fans to roam. This level will hold the Ebbets Club, similar to the current Diamond Club, and picnic area seating. Outfield seating will have a larger slope to position fans closer to the field.

As stadium visitors file up the escalators and elevators to the upper tiers, the first thing they see will be the suite level, with 35 suites and upgraded concession stands. A Business Center will be directly above a rotunda, offering space for business meetings and functions. It is also believed that a bridge will connect this level to the administration building in right field.

The Club Level, which will accommodate press and media, will have a sit-down restaurant in left field, seating approximately 500 customers. Moving to the Upper Concourse, visitors will have the opportunity for great views of the field, even from the “nose bleed” section. In fact, the Upper Level is both closer to the field and lower in elevation than the current Mezzanine Level of Shea Stadium.
    At the completion of the construction, Shea will be demolished and turned into a parking lot. It is expected that the city will lease the stadium site to the Mets for up to 99 years and the Mets will enter a non-relocation agreement. Officials say the new stadium will have an employment total of approximately 700 jobs and the total revenue generated by stadium operations will be an estimated $1.26 billion over 40 years.

Spokesman Dan Andrews said Wednesday that Borough President Helen Marshall “has always supported a new stadium.”

“We feel there’s a great need and great support for a new stadium,” he said.

The public hearing on the stadium plan will be held at 4 p.m. Monday, Feb. 27, at Flushing Town Hall, 137-35 Northern Blvd
  • sschirmer
    100 years is long enough!
    • Jul 2005

This is good. Shea is a dump.
    I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

• Sean O
      • May 2005

Whatever, I'm still really leery. Of course the upper deck is closer to the action, because Shea's is unforgivably far away. Unless it either uses the high tension wire / concrete system like RFK and Yankee Stadium, or posts, I won't be too thrilled.

I guess it's good that they're just building another Ebbets, but why would they build an Ebbets in the middle of a field? Ebbets was great because it was shoehorned into a very small footprint, so what is the practical reason for the tall right field wall there now?

I don't understand why no one seems able to design an interesting new ballpark these days. If you think about it, only 2 parks have ever actually been designed well, Dodger Stadium and Kauffman, with everything else becoming classic over years of modifications. All of the current ones are just aping the past rather than innovating.

Can't believe the retro thing has been going on for 12 years. At least with the circle clones there were only about 7 built.
      http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

• tonypug
        • Nov 2003

There really aren't many choices in building a ballpark. The origonal classic ballparks were as you said built to fit into a specific piece of property, which accounted for the quirky dimensions. Then the cookie cutters were built, all useing similar dimensions and built for multi purpose use with large seating capacities. Now the new stadiums are being scaled back seating wise and building in quirky dimensions. Chavez Ravine is unique because of the area it was built. Trying to duplicate that in DC for instance wouldn't work.I don't believe the Mets are trying to duplicate Ebbets Field, that could never be done. They are trying to incorporate elements of Ebbets Field to bring some flvor to the new ballpark. It will also be interesting to see how the new Yankee Stadium is going to look.
        Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
        www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

• efin98
          • May 2005

Originally posted by tonypug
          There really aren't many choices in building a ballpark. The origonal classic ballparks were as you said built to fit into a specific piece of property, which accounted for the quirky dimensions. Then the cookie cutters were built, all useing similar dimensions and built for multi purpose use with large seating capacities. Now the new stadiums are being scaled back seating wise and building in quirky dimensions. Chavez Ravine is unique because of the area it was built. Trying to duplicate that in DC for instance wouldn't work.I don't believe the Mets are trying to duplicate Ebbets Field, that could never be done. They are trying to incorporate elements of Ebbets Field to bring some flvor to the new ballpark. It will also be interesting to see how the new Yankee Stadium is going to look.
          I whole heartedly agree with you. I want the new stadium to be unique to Queens and not a copy of anything else. I think you have to add some heritage into the park, whether from Polo Grounds or Ebbitts Field. It would be criminal not to...
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• BasEbaLlKnoItAll
            The Impurest Purist
            • Apr 2003

I cant wait for the two parks to open. 2009 seems so far away. Hope it flies by.
            "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not illumination."
            -Vin Scully

Comment

• riverfrontier
              cracker/jacker
              • Feb 2006

If it's going to be another retro-themed park, I don't understand why they don't use the Polo Grounds as point of reference. The Mets never had anything to do with Ebbets Field.
              smoker

Comment

• efin98
                • May 2005

Originally posted by riverfrontier
                If it's going to be another retro-themed park, I don't understand why they don't use the Polo Grounds as point of reference.
                How do you know they aren't? The designs haven't been released yet, just the preliminary designs that were rejected a few years ago. It could be an entirely different design, unique to the new park and having only a few things that are from other parks. No one knows yet, no need to

The Mets never had anything to do with Ebbets Field.
                And your point being? Ebbetts Field-esque designs don't make it Ebbetts Field. They have every right to include popular aspects of the park into the design just as they have the right to include aspects of Polo Grounds or wherever else they want.
                Best posts ever:

Comment

• Elvis
                  Team Veteran
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by efin98
                  And your point being?
                  There's no need to be so smarmy and obnoxious. I'm sure most here, including me, got his point perfectly clearly.

Comment

• riverfrontier
                    cracker/jacker
                    • Feb 2006

I've seen three or four articles about this park where the 'look and feel of Ebbets Field' has been referred to. I had assumed my point about the Polo Grounds was obvious. Actually, come to think of it, it's still obvious. And yes, they have the right to include popular aspects from any park they choose. Since anything goes, how about a big 'A' with a halo out in left field. That was a hit back in the day.
                    smoker

Comment

• efin98
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by riverfrontier
                      I've seen three or four articles about this park where the 'look and feel of Ebbets Field' has been referred to.
                      "Look and feel" is a broad brush. Getting seats close to the field does that. Or exteriors of glass and brick. Or odd dimensions one-sidedly supporting batters or hitters. Any one of those aspects would be "look and feel" but does not consitute copying or capitalizing on Ebbetts' legacy.

I had assumed my point about the Polo Grounds was obvious.
                      Yes it was.

Since anything goes, how about a big 'A' with a halo out in left field. That was a hit back in the day.
                      Now that I'd pay to see in New York!
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

• Toy Boat
                        • Mar 2005

I believe the 44,100 capacity mentioned in the article includes 1600 standing room tickets so the true amount of seats would be 42,500. Do any of the current parks (aside from Fenway or Wrigley) have smaller capacities?

Comment

• Elvis
                          Team Veteran
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Toy Boat
                          I believe the 44,100 capacity mentioned in the article includes 1600 standing room tickets so the true amount of seats would be 42,500. Do any of the current parks (aside from Fenway or Wrigley) have smaller capacities?
                          PNC bank 38,496
                          AT and T wireless 41,500
                          McAfee anti virus 34,000
                          Petco pet store 42,445
                          Dolphin 42,531
                          US Celular wireless 40,120
                          Royals 40,785
                          Miller Beer 42,400
                          Minute Maid Orange Juice 40,950

Comment

• efin98
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                            PNC bank 38,496
                            AT and T wireless 41,500
                            McAfee anti virus 34,000
                            Petco pet store 42,445
                            Dolphin 42,531
                            Royals 40,785
                            Miller Beer 42,400
                            It's the average for the league now.
                            Best posts ever:

Comment

• Toy Boat
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                              PNC bank 38,496
                              AT and T wireless 41,500
                              McAfee anti virus 34,000
                              Petco pet store 42,445
                              Dolphin 42,531
                              Royals 40,785
                              Miller Beer 42,400
                              Thanks, I didn't realize so many ballparks had such small capacities.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X