• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jalbright
    Researcher/advocate/mod
    • Mar 2005

1994 Best of Baseball election thread

This is our fifty-ninth election in this project. The entire rules follow.

This election will end at 8:10 AM EDT on March 26, 2011.

The prior election, and the ballots of the 1992 voters, are in this thread
    Last edited by jalbright; 03-26-2011, 05:17 AM.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.
  • jalbright
    Researcher/advocate/mod
    • Mar 2005

Rules

1) All BBF users in good standing may participate. However, if there is more than one vote being cast from any one computer or IP, it must be cleared in advance. Should there be unannounced multiple votes from the same IP, I will investigate the circumstances, and all user names involved may be barred from this project as a result, and all but one of the multiple usernames permanently banned from the site. I only anticipate exceptions for family members living in the same home, but I will entertain requests on other bases. Please note that I and the other mods who participate in the project have the capability of determining the IP from which posts come, and I for one intend to monitor same. I have had to deal with a single user manipulating a project with multiple votes, and I don't intend to repeat the experience.

2) Elections will require a 10 voter quorum. If we do not get ten voters and there are candidate(s) who would be elected no matter what the voters needed to make a quorum did, those candidate(s) will be inducted. Otherwise, no one will be inducted. Further, if we fail to elect a full complement of candidates for the ballot in question in two of any four consecutive elections, the portion(s) of the project failing to meet the election requirement will end. If, for instance, we're doing fine on the player end but not the contributor end, I would drop the contributor end under this rule.

3) We will start in 1936, just as Cooperstown did. For the first election (1936), voters will rank their top 20, taking 10. After that we will go to having voters rank their top 12 players. Points awarded 12-11-10, etc. We will take the top five through 1940, then top three players per year elected until 2010, then two per year. If a voter does not number his selections, I will try to get him/her to do so. If they do not do so before the end of the election period, I may in my sole discretion invalidate the ballot. I have included this provision in order to ease the process of recording the votes. On another point, I know, the 1936 backlog is huge--but that was a historical issue they couldn't avoid, so neither will we.

4) We will also have a contributor ballot, which will elect one a year through 1985, then one every three (3) years. Contributors will be ranked 1 through 5, with points awarded 5-4-3-2-1. Voters may choose to participate in either one of the ballots or both.

5) It is permissible to vote for a candidate on both the contributor and player lists.

6) You are allowed to change your ballot at any time the voting is open. However, if you change your ballot, you've got to notify me (jalbright) by PM or by a new post in the voting thread, or the changes likely will not be registered.

7) Players are eligible at the later of age 45 or the first year thereafter in which the player does not play. If the birthdate is not known, add five years to the first time the player misses a season and has less than 10 games the next season. There is an exception for early death, in which case the year of death plus two will be used if that yields an earlier date.

8) Contributors become eligible at age 65 or in the year of death plus two. whichever comes first.

9) Each election will run for approximately two weeks unless expressly altered by the project manager, contributors and players done simultaneously.

10) No one is excluded from being a candidate, regardless of the league they played in, except those elected in either the contributor or player ballots. At that point, they are removed from further consideration. If there are players who returned to the Negro Leagues or Japan after going to the majors, the departure from the majors will be their career end date for purposes of this project.

11) The standard for including a player on one's ballot is that the player must in the voter's opinion be among the very best eligible players (preferably the number voted on, but if a voter wishes to support someone they feel is 15th in a 12 person ballot instead of one of the top 12, it's too close for anyone to reasonably object. On the other hand, supporting the 25th best eligible candidate on a 12 person ballot is probably beyond the pale). I reserve the power to invalidate ballots which I do not feel are a reasonably knowledgeable, good faith effort to rank the players. One issue I am quite concerned about is that I do not want to see what clearly appear to be attempts to manipulate the ballot so as to elect a candidate. In isolation, I probably could live with this, but if it became a widely used tactic, the project would devolve into something I have no desire to be associated with. Moreover, I think that this position asks everyone else to cast legitimate votes so that you can manipulate the system to favor your pet candidates. I cannot accept that, as it strikes me as unfair to other voters. For example, you can't expect to favor even a legitimate HOF candidate like Bill Dahlen over Babe Ruth to get Dahlen elected without being asked to provide a reasonable justification for ranking Dahlen over Ruth. If you can provide a reasonable justification in that scenario, the ballot will stand. If not, you will be asked to make a change. I realize voters will sometimes have idiosyncratic choices, and I try to allow for that. However, a clear flouting of a consensus is apt to be met with a request that the ballot be justified pursuant to this rule. Certainly, a reasonable justification does not indicate in essence simply that you want Dahlen elected. Furthermore, if I invalidate multiple ballots by the same individual as failing to meet this rule, that individual will forever lose the right to have his/her ballots counted. Voters are encouraged to consider character, sportsmanship, and compliance with the rules and spirit of baseball in their rankings of players.

12) I will post lists of eligible players and contributors before each election. If you have a question about the eligibility of a candidate, please ask. I will provide a list of future eligibility dates as well.

13) My eligibility lists come from all persons in the BBF HOF, BBTF Hall of Merit, and Cooperstown, plus all persons getting a vote in a BBF HOF election in the past year and a half or in a BBWAA election. This is a relatively comprehensive list, and thus I must request that if you want another candidate included, you provide some justification for why said candidate is worthy of getting a vote in this project. The main area I think this might come into play is if a voter supports a person who was eligible for the final selections from the recent pre WWII or Negro League committees but not on my master list. That fact alone would serve as ample justification for putting said candidate on the list. We may learn more about Cuban ball or what have you and thus include others after a case is made for them, however. The contributor list is undoubtedly not as comprehensive, and this fact will be taken into consideration. For players, any request for a multiple time all-star in the all-star era will be approved. Players of that quality will generally be approved without much ado. However, when a player lacks that kind of qualification, I will likely ask for you to get a second from among our voters via a post in the current election thread. When in doubt, I will also require a second for suggested contributors. If a second is forthcoming, the player will be added. If not, the request will be rejected. I want to limit requests and seconds to players or contributors you actually might vote for.

14) Other than the sportsmanship and character issues, players are to be evaluated solely upon their play. I would prefer that if a player is qualified by his play standing alone that he be elected on that basis. However, a candidate may only be elected either as a contributor or a player, but not both. Contributors are the area where the entire body of work during his career in the sport, including his play, managing, scouting, executive, writing, broadcasting or other work in the sport is relevant. Contributors are to be ranked based on who the voter thinks is most worthy of induction into the Contributor group in this project.

15) Any ballot with two (2) or more spots unfilled with eligible candidates is invalid. In the event of the listing of ineligible names, I will try to notify the voter so that he/she can correct the ballot before the end of the voting period. If the change is made timely, it will count. If not, and there are two or more invalid names, the ballot will not be considered valid. If there is only one, the ineligible name will be stricken and all names after it on the affected ballot will be moved up one spot.

16) Any players listed beyond the 12th place for any ballot but the first (in which case it is 20th place) will be ignored. If more than one person is listed as tied for the last available place and the ballot is oversize, all names will be dropped, which may lead to the invalidation of the ballot.

17) Ties are not permitted in ballot listings. I reserve the right to invalidate ballots for use of ties in the rankings, be it within a single ballot or over the course of several ballots. If the voter does not correct such a listing voluntarily, except in the case of an oversize ballot tie for the last eligible place, if do not invalidate the ballot, I will choose the placement of the two "tied" candidates, generally preferring the candidate preferred by the other voters.

18) For any ties between candidates straddling the in/out line of selections, the first thing considered is the ranking of the candidates by the ballots cast. If there are more than two candidates tied, use a 2-1-0 or whatever is appropriate for the number of players tied system. If a voter does not list a candidate, he receives zero points in the tiebreaker procedure. Once one person separates from the tied group, restart with the remaining candidates until there are only as many candidates as the rules call for being elected. If they remain tied after this process, the candidate with the most votes received wins. If it is still tied after that, those with the most #1 votes as the next step, then the most #2 votes and so on to see if that breaks the tie. If not, we will induct all candidates who remain tied at that point.

19) One thing we're going to have to be aware of is the timeline in the case of at least a few contributors. Two which jump out at me are Buck O'Neill, 1976, and Branch Rickey, 1946. I intend to eventually vote for both men, but in 1946, Jackie Robinson was still in Montreal. Really, Branch should wait until at least 1947 after Jackie's success in the majors to get credit for that move. If you think Rickey belongs in the top 5 in 1946 without his role in breaking the color line, that's fine--but he shouldn't get credit for that important success until it actually happened. Buck O'Neill did some important things up until 1976, but after that he was in Ken Burns' Baseball and he was instrumental in the establishment of the Negro Leagues Hall of Fame (both occurred in or around 1994). If you think he belongs based on accomplishments before those two things, that's perfectly acceptable, but please don't credit him with them before they actually happened.

20) I will maintain a thread of the project's history and rules which will provide a listing of all elected candidates.

21) Feel free to ask questions by either sending jalbright a PM, or by posting a question in voting thread
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

• jalbright
      Researcher/advocate/mod
      • Mar 2005

The players who become eligible in 1994 are:
      Code:
      Baker , Dusty
      Baylor , Don
      Blue , Vida
      Buckner , Bill
      Dempsey , Rick
      Fisk , Carlton
      Garner , Phil
      Grich , Bobby
      Hargrove , Mike
      Hrabosky , Al
      Reuschel , Rick
      Ryan , Nolan
      Schmidt , Mike
      Scott , George
      Simmons , Ted
      Thornton , Andre
      The contributors who become eligible in 1994 are:
      Code:
      Hemond , Roland
      Tanner , Chuck
      Williams , Dick

Comment

• jalbright
        Researcher/advocate/mod
        • Mar 2005

The 1993 player candidates who were not elected had these results in the that election:

Code:
        Players……………..	votes	pts
        Torre, Joe	9	70
        Joss , Addie	6	60
        Roush , Edd 	7	58
        Kelley , Joe	9	54
        Wynn, Jimmy	8	53
        Brown, Willard	8	49
        Rixey , Eppa	5	38
        Grimes , Burleigh	4	37
        Evans, Darrell	5	28
        Keller , Charlie	4	27
        Sheckard , Jimmy	5	27
        Brock, Lou	4	26
        Berger , Wally	3	23
        McVey , Cal	3	23
        Beckley , Jake	3	22
        Cepeda, Perucho	5	16
        Smith, Reggie	2	15
        Aparicio, Luis	3	14
        Richardson , Hardy	2	13
        Freehan, Bill	4	11
        Childs , Cupid	2	9
        Howard, Frank	1	9
        Lundy , Dick	1	9
        Pike , Lip	2	9
        Cepeda, Orlando	1	8
        Gomez, Lefty	1	8
        Bando, Sal	2	7
        Rizzuto , Phil	1	6
        Sewell , Joe	1	6
        Fingers, Rollie	1	5
        Matlock, Leroy	1	5
        Perez, Tony	1	5
        Rice , Sam	1	5
        Shocker, Urban	3	5
        Bancroft , Dave	1	4
        Newcombe, Don	1	4
        Yamamoto, Koji	1	4
        Dandridge, Ray	1	3
        Mullane , Tony	1	3
        Trouppe, Quincy	2	3
        Leach , Tommy	1	2
        Maranville , R	1	2
        The 1993 contributor candidates who were not elected had these results in the that election:

Code:
        contributors…………	votes	pts
        Rizzuto, Phil	5	20
        Caylor , O. P.	5	15
        Harris, Vic	5	13
        Scully, Vin	5	13
        Ferguson, Bob	4	11
        Chandler, Happy	2	8
        Elias, Al Munro	4	8
        Evans, Billy	2	8
        Krichell, Paul	2	6
        Abe, Iso.....	2	5
        Jobe, Frank	1	5
        Caray, Harry	1	4
        Smith, Red	1	4
        Martin, Billy	1	3
        McCarthy, Tommy	1	2
        Murnane, Tim	1	2
        Murtaugh, Danny	1	2
        Grimm, Charlie	1	1
        I strongly suggest that you pay attention to this list, as the leaders of the holdovers are likely to join any strong newcomer candidates as the leaders for winning induction.
        Last edited by jalbright; 03-19-2011, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• jalbright
          Researcher/advocate/mod
          • Mar 2005

Members of the Best of Baseball Hall. Last election's inductees are in red.

Players
          Code:
          Hank Aaron
          Pete Alexander
          Dick Allen
          Cap Anson
          Luke Appling
          Richie Ashburn
          Earl Averill
          Frank Baker
          Ernie Banks
          Ross Barnes
          John Beckwith
          Cool Papa Bell
          Johnny Bench
          Charlie Bennett
          Yogi Berra
          Akira Bessho
          Lou Boudreau
          Ken Boyer
          [COLOR="red"]Roger Bresnahan[/COLOR]
          Dan Brouthers
          Mordecai Brown
          Ray Brown
          Jim Bunning
          Jesse Burkett
          Roy Campanella
          Rod Carew
          Max Carey
          Steve Carlton
          Bob Caruthers
          Oscar Charleston
          Fred Clarke
          John Clarkson
          Roberto Clemente
          Ty Cobb
          Mickey Cochrane
          Eddie Collins
          Jimmy Collins
          Roger Connor
          Stan Coveleski
          Sam Crawford
          Joe Cronin
          Bill Dahlen
          George Davis
          Dizzy Dean
          Ed Delahanty
          Bill Dickey
          Martin Dihigo
          Joe DiMaggio
          Larry Doby
          Bobby Doerr
          Don Drysdale
          Buck Ewing
          Red Faber
          Bob Feller
          Wes Ferrell
          Elmer Flick
          Whitey Ford
          Willie Foster
          Nellie Fox
          Jimmie Foxx
          Frankie Frisch
          Pud Galvin
          Lou Gehrig
          Charlie Gehringer
          Bob Gibson
          Josh Gibson
          Jack Glasscock
          Joe Gordon
          George Gore
          Goose Goslin
          Frank Grant
          Hank Greenberg
          Heinie Groh
          Lefty Grove
          Stan Hack
          Billy Hamilton
          Isao Harimoto
          Gabby Hartnett
          Harry Heilmann
          Billy Herman
          Pete Hill
          Paul Hines
          Rogers Hornsby
          Carl Hubbell
          Kazuhisa Inao
          Monte Irvin
          Joe Jackson
          Reggie Jackson
          Ferguson Jenkins
          [COLOR="red"]Hughie Jennings[/COLOR]
          Grant "Home Run"Johnson
          Walter Johnson
          Al Kaline
          Masaichi Kaneda
          Tim Keefe
          Willie Keeler
          King Kelly
          Harmon Killebrew
          Ralph Kiner
          Sandy Koufax
          Nap LaJoie
          Bob Lemon
          Buck Leonard
          Pop Lloyd
          Ted Lyons
          Biz Mackey
          Sherry Magee
          Mickey Mantle
          Juan Marichal
          Eddie Mathews
          Christy Mathewson
          Willie Mays
          Willie McCovey
          Joe McGinnity
          Bid McPhee
          Joe Medwick
          Jose Mendez
          Minnie Minoso
          Johnny Mize
          Dobie Moore
          Joe Morgan
          Stan Musial
          Shigeo Nagashima
          Hal Newhouser
          Kid Nichols
          Phil Niekro
          Katsuya Nomura
          Sadaharu Oh
          Alejandro Oms
          Jim O'Rourke
          Mel Ott
          Satchel Paige
          Jim Palmer
          Gaylord Perry
          Eddie Plank
          Charlie Radbourn
          Pee Wee Reese
          Robin Roberts
          Brooks Robinson
          Frank Robinson
          Jackie Robinson
          Bullet Joe Rogan
          Pete Rose
          Red Ruffing
          Amos Rusie
          Babe Ruth
          Ron Santo
          Louis Santop
          Tom Seaver
          Al Simmons
          George Sisler
          Enos Slaughter
          Hilton Smith
          Duke Snider
          Warren Spahn
          Tris Speaker
          Victor Starffin
          Willie Stargell
          Joe Start
          Turkey Stearnes
          Harry Stovey
          Mule Suttles
          Don Sutton
          Ezra Sutton
          Bill Terry
          Sam Thompson
          [COLOR="red"]Luis Tiant[/COLOR]
          Cristobal Torriente
          Pie Traynor
          Dazzy Vance
          Arky Vaughan
          Rube Waddell
          Honus Wagner
          Bobby Wallace
          Ed Walsh
          Paul Waner
          John M. Ward
          Willie Wells
          Zack Wheat
          Deacon White
          Hoyt Wilhelm
          Billy Williams
          Smoky Joe Williams
          Ted Williams
          Jud Wilson
          George Wright
          Early Wynn
          Carl Yastrzemski
          Cy Young
          Contributors
          Code:
          Doc Adams
          Mel Allen
          Walter Alston
          Red Barber
          Ed Barrow
          Buzzue Bavasi
          Ed Bolden
          Alexander Cartwright
          Henry Chadwick
          Frank Chance
          Charlie Commiskey
          Charles Conlon
          Tom Connolly
          Jim Creighton
          Jack Dunn
          Leo Durocher
          Rube Foster
          Ford Frick
          [COLOR="red"]Gus Greenlee[/COLOR]
          Clark Griffith
          Ned Hanlon
          William Hulbert
          Miller Huggins
          Ban Johnson
          Tetsuharu Kawakami
          Bill Klem
          Kenesaw Landis
          Tommy Lasorda
          Al Lopez
          Connie Mack
          Larry MacPhail
          Joe McCarthy
          John McGraw
          Bill McKechnie
          Marvin Miller
          Walter O'Malley
          Dickey Pearce
          Cum Posey
          A. J. Reach
          Francis Richter
          Branch Rickey
          Jacob Ruppert
          Frank Selee
          Ben Shibe
          Matsutaro Shoriki
          Billy Southworth
          Al Spalding
          Alfred Spink
          J. G. T. Spink
          Casey Stengel
          C. I. Taylor
          Kazuto Tsuruoka
          Bill Veeck
          George Weiss
          Sol White
          J. L. Wilkinson
          Harry Wright

Comment

• Paul Wendt
            • Nov 2007

Phil Rizzuto should be listed atop the 1993 standings.

Comment

• Paul Wendt
              • Nov 2007

Frankly, the suspension of the season makes me want to give up baseball.

1 Mike Schmidt
              2 Carlton Fisk
              3 Nolan Ryan
              4 Bobby Grich
              5 Ted Simmons

6 Hardy Richardson
              7 Cal McVey
              8 Eppa Rixey
              9 Joe Kelley
              10 Jimmy Sheckard
              11 Lip Pike
              12 Joe Torre

Contributors
              1 Vin Scully
              2 Bob Ferguson
              3 Tim Murnane
              4 O.P. Caylor
              5 Vic Harris
              Last edited by Paul Wendt; 03-19-2011, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• jjpm74
                • Jan 2008

Players:

1. Mike Schmidt
                2. Carlton Fisk
                3. Bobby Grich
                4. Jimmy Wynn
                5. Nolan Ryan
                6. Reggie Smith
                7. Jimmy Sheckard
                8. Joe Torre
                9. Sal Bando
                10. Cal McVey
                11. Ted Simmons
                12. Rick Reuschel

Contributors:

1. Phil Rizzuto
                2. Buck O'Neill
                3. Bob Ferguson
                4. O.P. Caylor
                5. Al Munro Elias

Cepeda, Maranville and Shocker are back in my queue due to a strong new group of eligible players of which 6 enter my ballot.

On the contributor's side, Buck O'Neill joins my ballot at slot 2 (Phil Rizzuto deserves his election at this point, so he stays at #1) with Iso Abe, Harry Caray, Happy Chandler, Jocko Conlan, Candy Cummings, Bud Fowler, Vic Harris, Gil Hodges, Ring Lardner, Billy Martin, Shigeru Mizuhara, Lefty O'Doul, Red Schoendienst, Vin Scully, Dick Williams are all being strongly considered at this point.

In my consideration set on the players side are Luis Aparicio, Dave Bancroft, Jake Beckley, Chief Bender, Wally Berger, Max Bishop, Bobby Bonds, Bob Boone, Harry Brecheen, Willard Brown, Pete Browning, Lou Brock, Perucho Cepeda, Orlando Cepeda, Cupid Childs, Dave Concepcion, Leon Day, Bill Dinneen, Hugh Duffy, Bill Freehan, Steve Garvey, Burleigh Grimes, Dummy Hoy, Catfish Hunter, Charley Jones, Fielder Jones, Joe Kelley, Tommy Leach, Rabbit Maranville, Thurman Munson, Graig Nettles, Don Newcombe, Tony Perez, Lip Pike, Spotswood Poles, Jack Quinn, Rick Reuschel, Sam Rice, Hardy Richardson, Eppa Rixey, Edd Roush, Wally Schang, Joe Sewell, Urban Shocker, Rusty Staub, Quincy Trouppe, George Van Haltren. Some may make my ballot, some may not depending on who we are looking at in terms of newcomers.
                Last edited by jjpm74; 03-19-2011, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• jalbright
                  Researcher/advocate/mod
                  • Mar 2005

The complete list of eligible players:
                  Code:
                  Adams , Babe
                  Adams , Bobby
                  Adams , Sparky
                  Allen , Johnny
                  Alou , Jesus
                  Alou , Matty
                  Alou, Felipe
                  Altrock , Nick
                  Aparicio, Luis
                  Archer , Jimmy
                  Arlett , Buzz
                  Austin , Jimmy
                  Avila, Bobby
                  Bailey , Bob 
                  Baker , Dusty
                  Bancroft , Dave
                  Bando , Sal
                  Barry , Jack
                  Bartell , Dick
                  Battin , Joe
                  Bauer , Hank
                  Baylor , Don
                  Beaumont , Ginger
                  Beckert, Glenn
                  Beckley , Jake
                  Belanger , Mark
                  Bender , Chief
                  Benton , Larry
                  Berg , Moe
                  Bergen , Marty
                  Berger , Wally
                  Berry , Charlie
                  Bibby , Jim 
                  Bigbee , Carson
                  Billingham , Jack
                  Bishop , Max
                  Blackwell , Ewell
                  Blades , Ray
                  Blair , Paul
                  Blass , Steve
                  Blue , Lu
                  Blue , Vida
                  Bluege , Ossie
                  Bodie , Ping
                  Boley , Joe
                  Bond , Tommy
                  Bonds , Bobby
                  Boone, Bob
                  Bottomley , Jim
                  Bowa , Larry
                  Boyer , Clete
                  Bradley , Bill
                  Brecheen , Harry
                  Breitenstein , Ted
                  Brewer , Jim 
                  Bridges , Tommy
                  Brock, Lou
                  Brown , Willard
                  Browning , Pete
                  Bruton, Bill
                  Buckner , Bill
                  Burdette , Lew
                  Burgess , Smoky  
                  Burns , George J.
                  Bush  , Joe
                  Bush , Donie
                  Bush , Guy
                  Cadore , Leon
                  Camilli , Dolph
                  Camnitz , Howie
                  Campaneris , Bert
                  Campbell , Bill
                  Cardenal , Jose
                  Cardenas , Leo 
                  Carrasquel. Chico 
                  Carrigan , Bill
                  Carroll, Clay
                  Case , George
                  Cash , Dave
                  Cash, Norm
                  Cavaretta , Phil
                  Cepeda , Orlando
                  Cepeda , Perucho
                  Cey , Ron
                  Chandler , Spud
                  Chapman , Ben
                  Chapman , Ray
                  Chapman , Sam
                  Chase , Hal
                  Chesbro , Jack
                  Childs , Cupid
                  Cicotte , Eddie
                  Cissell , Bill
                  Clark , Watty
                  Clarkson , Bus
                  Clift, Harlond
                  Coakley , Andy
                  Colavito, Rocky
                  Collins , Shano
                  Combs , Earle
                  Concepcion , Dave
                  Conroy , Wid
                  Coombs , Jack
                  Cooper , Andy
                  Cooper , Mort
                  Cooper , Walker
                  Cooper , Wilbur
                  Courtney , Clint
                  Cox , Billy
                  Crandall , Doc
                  Crandall, Del
                  Cravath , Gavvy
                  Criger , Lou
                  Critz , Hughie
                  Cross , Lave
                  Crowder , Al 
                  Cruise , Walt
                  Cruz , Jose
                  Cuccinello , Tony
                  Cummings , Candy
                  Cuyler , Kiki
                  Dandridge , Ray
                  Danning , Harry
                  Dark , Alvin
                  Daubert , Jake
                  Davis , Curt
                  Davis , Harry
                  Davis , Spud
                  Day , Leon
                  Dempsey , Rick
                  Derringer , Paul
                  DiMaggio , Dom
                  Dinneen , Bill
                  Doak , Bill
                  Donlin , Mike
                  Donovan , Bill
                  Dooin , Red
                  Doyle , Jack 
                  Doyle , Larry
                  Dropo , Walt
                  Duffy , Hugh
                  Dugan , Joe
                  Dunlap , Fred
                  Dykes , Jimmy
                  Earnshaw , George
                  Easter, Luke
                  Edwards , Hank
                  Ehmke , Howard
                  Elberfeld , Kid
                  Elliott , Bob
                  Elliott , Jumbo
                  Ellis , Dock
                  Enatsu , Yutaka
                  Ennis, Del
                  Ens , Jewel
                  Erskine , Carl
                  Evans , Darrell
                  Evers , Johnny
                  Face, Roy
                  Fairly , Ron
                  Falkenberg , Cy
                  Ferrell , Rick
                  Fingers , Rollie
                  Fisk , Carlton
                  Fitzsimmons , Freddie
                  Fletcher , Art
                  Flood , Curt
                  Fonseca , Lew
                  Foster , Eddie
                  Foster , George
                  Fraser , Chick
                  Freehan, Bill
                  Fregosi , Jim
                  Furillo , Carl
                  Galan , Augie
                  Garner , Phil
                  Garver, Ned
                  Garvey , Steve
                  Gelbert , Charlie
                  Gleason , Kid
                  Gomez , Lefty
                  Gonzalez , Mike
                  Gowdy , Hank
                  Grant , Eddie
                  Grantham , George
                  Grich , Bobby
                  Grimes , Burleigh
                  Grimm , Charlie
                  Grissom , Marv
                  Groat, Dick
                  Gromek , Steve
                  Grove , Orval
                  Gustine , Frank
                  Haas , Mule
                  Haddix, Harvey
                  Hafey , Chick
                  Hahn , Noodles
                  Haines , Jesse
                  Hallahan , Bill
                  Harder , Mel
                  Hargrave , Bubbles
                  Hargrove , Mike
                  Harrah , Toby
                  Harrelson , Bud
                  Harris , Bucky
                  Harris , Vic
                  Hatton , Grady
                  Hearn , Jim 
                  Hebner , Richie
                  Hegan , Jim
                  Helms, Tommy
                  Hemus , Solly
                  Henrich , Tommy
                  Herman , Babe
                  Herzog , Buck 
                  Hickman , Jim
                  Higgins , Mike
                  Hiller , John
                  Hinchman , Bill
                  Hodges, Gil
                  Holmes , Tommy
                  Holtzman , Ken
                  Hooper , Harry
                  Horton , Willie
                  Houtteman , Art
                  Howard , Frank
                  Howard, Elston
                  Hoy , Dummy
                  Hoyt , Waite
                  Hrabosky , Al
                  Huggins , Miller
                  Hunter , Catfish
                  Hutchinson , Fred
                  Irwin , Charlie
                  Jackman , Will
                  Jackson , Sonny
                  Jensen , Jackie
                  John , Tommy
                  Johnson , Bob
                  Johnson , Davey
                  Johnson , Judy
                  Jones , Charley
                  Jones , Fielder
                  Jones , Sam P.
                  Jordan , Tim
                  Jorgenson , Mike
                  Joss , Addie
                  Judge , Joe
                  Jurges , Billy
                  Kaat, Jim
                  Kamm , Willie
                  Kawakami , Tetsuharu
                  Kell , George
                  Keller , Charlie
                  Kelley , Joe
                  Keltner , Ken
                  Kerr , Dickie
                  Kessinger , Don
                  Killefer , Bill
                  Kilroy , Matt
                  Kinder , Ellis
                  Kingman , Dave
                  Klein , Chuck
                  Kling , Johnny
                  Kluszewski, Ted
                  Knabe , Otto
                  Koosman , Jerry
                  Koyama, Masaaki
                  Kremer , Ray
                  Kress , Red
                  Kuenn, Harvey
                  Kuhel , Joe
                  Kuzava , Bob
                  Lange , Bill
                  Lanier , Hal
                  Larkin , Henry
                  Larsen, Don
                  Latham , Arlie
                  Lavagetto , Cookie
                  Law, Vern
                  Lazzeri , Tony
                  Leach , Freddy
                  Leach , Tommy
                  Lee , Bill
                  Lee , Bill (Spaceman)
                  Leever , Sam
                  Leonard , Emil (Dutch)
                  Lewis , Duffy
                  Lewis, Buddy
                  Lindstrom , Freddie
                  Lobert , Hans
                  Lockman , Whitey
                  Lolich, Mickey
                  Lollar, Sherm
                  Lombardi , Ernie
                  Lonborg , Jim
                  Long , Herman
                  Lopat , Ed
                  Lopes , Davey
                  Lopez , Al
                  Lowe , Bobby
                  Lowenstein , John
                  Lucas , Red
                  Lundy , Dick
                  Luque , Dolf
                  Lyle , Sparky
                  Lyons , Denny
                  Maglie , Sal
                  Maloney, Jim
                  Mancuso , Gus
                  Manush , Heinie
                  Maranville , Rabbit
                  Marberry , Firpo
                  Marion , Marty
                  Maris, Roger
                  Marquard , Rube
                  Marshall , Mike G.
                  Martin , Morrie
                  Martin , Pepper
                  Mathews , Bobby
                  May , Lee
                  Mays , Carl
                  Mazeroski , Bill
                  McAleer , Jimmy
                  McCarthy , Tommy
                  McCarver , Tim
                  McCormick , Frank
                  McCormick , Jim
                  McDaniel , Lindy
                  McDougald, Gil
                  McGowan , Bill
                  McGraw , Tug
                  McInnis , Stuffy
                  McLain , Denny
                  McLean , Larry
                  McMahon, Don
                  McManus , Marty
                  McMillan, Roy
                  McNally , Dave
                  McVey , Cal
                  Meadows , Lee
                  Messersmith , Andy
                  Meusel , Bob
                  Miksis , Eddie
                  Milan , Clyde
                  Millan , Felix
                  Miller , Bing
                  Miller , Dots
                  Miller , Hack
                  Monday , Rick
                  Money , Don
                  Monroe , Bill
                  Moon, Wally
                  Moore , Jo-Jo
                  Moore , Terry
                  Moran , Pat
                  Mostil , Johnny
                  Mota, Manny
                  Mulcahy , Hugh
                  Mullane , Tony
                  Mungo , Van
                  Munson , Thurman
                  Murcer , Bobby
                  Murphy , Danny
                  Murray , Red
                  Myer , Buddy
                  Nehf , Art
                  Nettles , Graig
                  Newcombe , Don
                  Newsom , Bobo
                  Nicholson , Bill
                  Niekro , Joe
                  Northey , Ron
                  O'Doul , Lefty
                  Oeschger , Joe
                  O'Farrell , Bob
                  O'Leary , Charlie
                  Oliva, Tony
                  Oliver , Al
                  O'Neill , Buck
                  O'Neill , Steve
                  O'Neill , Tip
                  Orr , Dave
                  Pabor , Charlie
                  Pafko , Andy
                  Pascual, Camilo
                  Paskert , Dode
                  Pearson , Monte
                  Peckinpaugh , Roger
                  Peitz , Heinie
                  Pennock , Herb
                  Perdue , Hub
                  Perez , Tony
                  Perkins , Cy
                  Perranoski , Ron
                  Perry , Jim
                  Pesky , Johnny
                  Petrocelli, Rico
                  Phillippe , Deacon 
                  Pierce , Billy
                  Pike , Lip
                  Piniella, Lou
                  Pinson, Vada
                  Pipp , Wally
                  Podres, Johnny
                  Poles , Spotswood
                  Porterfield , Bob
                  Powell , Boog
                  Power , Vic
                  Pruett , Hub
                  Quinn , Jack
                  Raschi , Vic
                  Raymond , Bugs
                  Redding , Dick
                  Reiser , Pete
                  Remsen , Jack
                  Reuschel , Rick
                  Reynolds , Allie
                  Rice , Del
                  Rice , Sam
                  Richardson , Bobby
                  Richardson , Hardy
                  Ring , Jimmy
                  Ritchey , Claude
                  Rivers , Mickey
                  Rixey , Eppa
                  Rizzuto , Phil
                  Robertson , Dave
                  Roe , Preacher
                  Rolfe , Red
                  Rommel , Eddie
                  Root , Charlie
                  Rosen, Al
                  Roush , Edd 
                  Rucker , Nap
                  Rudolph , Dick
                  Ruel , Muddy
                  Russell , Bill
                  Ryan  , Jimmy
                  Ryan , Nolan
                  Sain , Johnny
                  Sanguillen , Manny
                  Sauer , Hank
                  Schacht , Al
                  Schaefer , Germany
                  Schalk , Ray
                  Schang , Wally
                  Schmidt , Mike
                  Schoendienst , Red
                  Schreckengost , Ossie
                  Schulte , Frank
                  Scott , Everett
                  Scott , George
                  Scott , Jack
                  Selkirk , George
                  Severeid , Hank
                  Sewell , Joe
                  Sewell , Luke
                  Sewell , Rip
                  Seymour , Cy
                  Shantz, Bobby
                  Sheckard , Jimmy
                  Sherdel , Bill
                  Shocker , Urban
                  Short , Chris
                  Siebert , Sonny
                  Sievers , Roy
                  Simmons , Ted
                  Simmons, Curt
                  Singleton , Ken
                  Sisti , Sibby
                  Smith , Earl
                  Smith , Reggie
                  Smith , Sherry
                  Sparks , Tully
                  Stahl , Jake
                  Stanky , Eddie
                  Stanley , Mickey
                  Staub , Rusty
                  Steinfeldt , Harry
                  Stephens , Vern
                  Stephenson , Riggs
                  Stottlemyre , Mel
                  Street , Gabby
                  Suhr , Gus
                  Sukeforth , Clyde
                  Sweeney , Bill
                  Tannehill , Jesse
                  Taylor , Ben
                  Tebbetts , Birdie
                  Tekulve, Kent
                  Tenace , Gene
                  Tenney , Fred
                  Thevenow , Tommy
                  Thomas , Ira
                  Thomson , Bobby
                  Thornton , Andre
                  Tiernan , Mike
                  Tinker , Joe
                  Tobin , Jim
                  Toney , Fred
                  Torgeson, Earl
                  Torre, Joe
                  Torrez , Mike
                  Travis, Cecil
                  Trouppe , Quincy
                  Trout , Dizzy
                  Trucks , Virgil
                  Turner , Terry
                  Uhle , George
                  Valo , Elmer
                  Van Haltren , George
                  Vander Meer , Johnny
                  Veach , Bobby
                  Vernon , Mickey
                  Walberg , Rube
                  Walker , Harry
                  Walters , Bucky
                  Wambsganss , Bill
                  Waner , Lloyd
                  Warfield , Frank
                  Warneke , Lon
                  Watson , Bob 
                  Welch , Mickey
                  Werber , Billy
                  Wertz, Vic
                  West , Sam
                  Westrum , Wes
                  White , Sol
                  White , Will 
                  Whitehill , Earl
                  Williams , Cy
                  Williams , Ken
                  Williamson , Ned
                  Willis , Vic
                  Wills, Maury
                  Wilson , Hack
                  Wilson , Jim
                  Wilson , Jimmie
                  Witt , Whitey
                  Wood , Joe
                  Wood , Wilbur
                  Wright , Glenn
                  Wyatt , Whit 
                  Wynn , Jimmy
                  Yamamoto , Koji
                  Yeager , Steve
                  Yerkes , Steve
                  York , Rudy
                  Young , Pep
                  Youngs , Ross
                  Zachary , Tom
                  Zimmer , Chief
                  The complete list of eligible contributors:
                  Code:
                  Abe , Iso
                  Ashford, Emmet
                  Autry, Gene
                  Bancroft , Frank
                  Barlick, Al
                  Berger , Sy
                  Brickhouse , Jack
                  Buck , Jack 
                  Bulkely , Morgan
                  Busch , Augie
                  Cambria , Joe
                  Campbell , Jim
                  Canel, Buck
                  Caray, Harry
                  Carrigan, Bill
                  Caylor , O. P.
                  Chandler, Happy
                  Chylak , Nestor
                  Conlan , Jocko
                  Cooper , Andy
                  Cummings , Candy
                  Dark , Alvin
                  Davids , Bob 
                  Dinneen , Bill
                  Doubleday , Abner
                  Dreyfuss , Barney
                  Dyer , Eddie
                  Dykes , Jimmy
                  Elias , Al Munro
                  Evans, Billy
                  Feller, Sherm
                  Fergsuon, Bob
                  Fetzer, John
                  Foster , John B.
                  Fowler, Bud
                  Fullerton , Hugh
                  Giles , Warren
                  Gleason , Kid
                  Gonzalez , Mike
                  Gowdy , Curt
                  Grimm, Charlie
                  Haak , Howie
                  Haney , Fred
                  Harridge, Willie
                  Harris , Bucky
                  Harris, Vic
                  Harwell, Ernie
                  Hemond , Roland
                  Heydler, John
                  Hillerich , John
                  Hodges, Gil
                  Hodges, Russ
                  Houk , Ralph
                  Howsam, Bob
                  Hubbard , Cal
                  Hutchinson , Fred
                  Jobe , Frank
                  Krichell, Paul
                  Kuenn , Harvey
                  Kuhn , Bowie
                  Lanigan, Ernest
                  Lardner , Ring
                  Leavitt, Jr. , Charles W.
                  Luque , Dolf
                  MacPhail, Lee
                  Manley , Effa
                  Martin  , Billy
                  Mauch , Gene
                  McCarthy , Tommy
                  McGowan, Bill
                  Mills , A. G.
                  Mizuhara, Shigeru
                  Moran , Pat
                  Murnane, Tim
                  Murtaugh, Danny
                  Mutrie , Jim
                  Navin , Frank
                  Nelson , Lindsey
                  Norworth, Jack
                  O'Day, Hank
                  O'Doul, Lefty
                  O'Neill, Buck
                  O'Neill, Steve
                  Osborn , Frank
                  Pasquel, Jorge
                  Patkin, Max
                  Pesky , Johnny
                  Pompez , Alex 
                  Pulliam, Harry
                  Ramirez, Felo
                  Reese , Jimmie
                  Rice, Grantland
                  Richards, Paul
                  Ritter , Lawrence
                  Rizzuto , Phil
                  Robinson , Wilbert
                  Schoendienst, Red
                  Scully, Vin
                  Sewell , Luke
                  Sheppard, Bob
                  Smith, Red
                  Stallings , George
                  Street, Gabby
                  Tanner , Chuck
                  Thayer , Ernest
                  Tyson, Ty
                  van der Ahe, Chris
                  Warfield , Frank
                  Weyer , Lee
                  Williams , Dick
                  Wilson , Horace
                  Wrigley, Phil
                  Yawkey, Tom

Comment

• jalbright
                    Researcher/advocate/mod
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Paul Wendt View Post
                    Phil Rizzuto should be listed atop the 1993 standings.
                    Yep, trimmed one too many. That will be fixed shortly.

Comment

• jalbright
                      Researcher/advocate/mod
                      • Mar 2005

My ballot

Players
                      1. Mike Schmidt
                      2. Nolan Ryan
                      3. Carlton Fisk
                      4. Bobby Grich
                      5. Joe Torre
                      6. Jimmy Wynn
                      7. Joe Kelley
                      8. Willard Brown
                      9. Charlie Keller
                      10. Perucho Cepeda
                      11. Cupid Childs
                      12. Ted Simmons

Contributors
                      1. Buck O'Neill
                      2. Phil Rizzuto
                      3. Vic Harris
                      4. Iso Abe
                      5. Dick Williams

Due to the strong incoming class, Sal Bando and Qunicy Trouppe go to the top of my queue. Also, Al Munro Elias and Vin Scully go off my ballot to the top of that queue, ahead of Tim Murnane, who previously was bumped off my ballot.
                      Last edited by jalbright; 03-19-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• jalbright
                        Researcher/advocate/mod
                        • Mar 2005

A reminder: Buck O'Neill should now be credited with his appearance in Ken Burns' Baseball as well as his leadership in getting the Negro Leagues Museum opened. As such, he vaults into my #1 spot.

Comment

• Domenic
                          • Sep 2008

01. Mike Schmidt
                          02. Nolan Ryan
                          03. Bobby Grich
                          04. Carlton Fisk
                          05. Eppa Rixey
                          06. Wally Berger
                          07. Jake Beckley
                          08. Jimmy Wynn
                          09. Burleigh Grimes
                          10. Willard Brown
                          11. Ted Simmons
                          12. Addie Joss

01. Buck O'Neill
                          02. Frank Jobe
                          03. Vin Scully
                          04. Phil Rizzuto
                          05. Vic Harris

Comment

• Dogdaze
                            2004, 2007 & 2013
                            • Oct 2006

Players:

1. Mike Schmidt
                            2. Carlton Fisk
                            3. Nolan Ryan
                            4. Bobby Grich
                            5. Ted Simmons
                            6. Addie Joss
                            7. Wally Berger
                            8. Willard Brown
                            9. Joe Torre
                            10. Edd Roush
                            11. Perucho Cepeda
                            12. Jimmy Wynn

Contributors:

1. Buck O'Neill
                            2. Phil Rizzuto
                            3. Vic Harris
                            4. Iso Abe
                            5. Vin Scully

Comment

• Chadwick
                              Chasing Cooperstown
                              • Sep 2002

Players
                              1. Mike Schmidt
                              2. Nolan Ryan
                              3. Bobby Grich
                              4. Carlton Fisk
                              5. Ted Simmons
                              6. Joe Torre
                              7. Edd Roush
                              8. Jimmy Wynn
                              9. Willard Brown
                              10. Perucho Cepeda
                              11. Joe Kelley
                              12. Darrell Evans

Contributors
                              1. O.P. Caylor
                              2. Dick Williams
                              3. Buck O'Neill
                              4. Al Munro Elias
                              5. Bob Ferguson
                              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X