X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shaneslatts
    • Jan 2008

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Well....I know how sad this is, and I know its early but but very soon they will be tearing down the catherdal, the House that Ruth built........Im not sure how they will go about doing it..if its going to be a slow, very PAINFUL process that will take a month or more, or if it will be a quick death, but either way, its gonna be a bad, bad time...Yes, we can say its not the 'same place" as the Original Yankee Stadium (I spent alot of time in the pre 1976 Yankee Stadium) but no matter what, this place is still...YANKEE STADIUM..:bowdown:....
    Any thoughts on the dreaded day, and how they will do it?
  • Brackish__4
    New York Yankees
    • May 2008

Since implosions are illegal in New York, a wrecking ball seems to be how she will come down. Soon we will have pictures of a wrecking ball slaming into probably the three most famous ballparks in the world: Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, and Yankee Stadium.

Comment

• Jim Vaz
      • Oct 2007

I was reading somewhere over the winter that a wrecking ball will not be used or that effective either.

Basically both stadiums are going to come down piece by piece. You're talking about dozens and dozens of Acetylene cutting units, grapplers, and other heavy equipment dismantling both stadiums piece by piece and the carting off of hundreds of tons of concrete and steel.

Comment

• R Ryan823
        • Jun 2007

I'm sure the reason for them taking the place down piece by piece is probably because there is a load of asbestos that needs to be contained and removed. I'm sure that process will take a decent amount of time.

Comment

• YankeeFanBx
          • Mar 2008

I remember Shea going up and now I'll see it come down. As much as I'm going to miss it, Yankee Stadium must come down too.
          I hope to enjoy sitting in both new parks in my hometown and watching some baseball!
          :gt:gt

Comment

• Gary Dunaier
            Thumbs Down Guy/Moderator
            • Sep 2007

Dismantling the ballparks piecemeal will also enable crews to remove the seats in an orderly manner and make sure every little bit that can be sold will be put aside.

I'm sure even the concrete can be pulverized into powder form and sold in some form. They already make medallions with ballpark dirt, so why not concrete from otherwise demolished stadia?
            My GIF has been viewed more than 377 million times!
            https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-yankees-t...wH6yMO7ED5xc7S

Comment

• bleacherbum73
              Bleacherbum 1973
              • Dec 2007

When Busch Stadium was demolished, they used a wrecking ball. Of course it was constructed differently than Yankee Stadium and was a more modern construction. On the site they had these huge pieces of machinery that crushed the concrete and shook loose the rebar. Then big magnets picked up and sorted the rebar by size and place them in trucks where they were sent to a steel recycling plant in St.Louis. Much of the concrete was crushed on site and used for fill. It only took 1 month to take the park down. Of course, they were working almost around the clock because they needed to get it down to finish off the new park.

Comment

• curb my enthusiasm
                • Sep 2007

It is going to be very dramatic to see pictures of half of Yankee Stadium standing, and the other half either gone, or crushed rubble on the ground.

I wonder what processes they have to go through before they can begin the demolition. Do they have to remove all of the electrical wire first? I'm sure they have to make sure that all power sources leading into the stadium are shut off, so that the place doesn't catch on fire as it's being torn down. And what about things like lamps hanging from the ceiling? Do they have to remove all of those first? Will they remove all glass windows first? I'm sure that they don't feel like dealing with scooping up broken glass in the rubble. Finally, how do they demolish the stadium so that it's safe, and none of the workers get hurt or killed? You're talking about huge, heavy pieces of concrete and steel crashing to the ground. They have to make it fall in the right direction.

It's little things like this that make me interested.
                Last edited by curb my enthusiasm; 06-10-2008, 12:17 PM.
                Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

Comment

• Jim Vaz
                  • Oct 2007

I'm neither a demolition expert nor a construction expert either, but from what I have seen before anything is demolished whether it be by controlled implosion or wrecking ball, most of your wiring and plumbing, conduits, HVAC vents are all removed. Especially stuff like copper and other metals that can be in scrap demand. The only thing thats going to exist in the stadiums prior to demolition is the structure itself will be for the most part the concrete and the steel. This all makes it easier for scrap sorting, safer on the units doing the demolition, and the clean up process much easier.

Comment

• bleacherbum73
                    Bleacherbum 1973
                    • Dec 2007

When I watched Busch come down, they left the light standards with the lights attached to the roof, all the glass in the windows were left, as well as light fixtures in the concourses and the lights on the outside of the park, attached to the stadium. I remember one of the days I was down there seeing a huge section of the stadium collapsing and watching the lights come crashing down and hearing the noise it made. Also watching as a section of the stadium club windows blew out and carpeting flying out the window. It was sad for me, but also like a car wreck, you just couldn't help but look They also left the scoreboard, the video board, and the auxilliary boards on the baselines and behind the plate to be demolished with the stadium.

Comment

• Aviator_Frank
                      Engineer / Private Pilot
                      • Mar 2008

I'd love to know where that scoreboard will wind up. Either in Hank's basement or auctioned off at Sotheby's for more than the GNP of India.

Comment

• Brackish__4
                        New York Yankees
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
                        I'd love to know where that scoreboard will wind up. Either in Hank's basement or auctioned off at Sotheby's for more than the GNP of India.
                        Wow, that is one expensive scoreboard. According to cia.gov, the GDP of India is $4.156 trillion.

Comment

• Yankees73
                          John 3:16
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
                          Well....I know how sad this is, and I know its early but but very soon they will be tearing down the catherdal, the House that Ruth built........Im not sure how they will go about doing it..if its going to be a slow, very PAINFUL process that will take a month or more, or if it will be a quick death, but either way, its gonna be a bad, bad time...Yes, we can say its not the 'same place" as the Original Yankee Stadium (I spent alot of time in the pre 1976 Yankee Stadium) but no matter what, this place is still...YANKEE STADIUM..:bowdown:....
                          Any thoughts on the dreaded day, and how they will do it?
                          I bet they will sell off every rivet thats holding the place

Comment

• Yankees12
                            NYS: Home of Champions
                            • Dec 2007

I wonder if the wrecking ball that demolished Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds (IIRC, they used the same wrecking ball) is still in existence. Even if they aren't taking it down via wrecking ball, it would be pretty cool to see that wrecking ball take just one swipe at Yankee Stadium, either to formally start or end the demolition.

That said, I'm dreading the day demolition starts.

Comment

• Wall-E
                              Your everyday clumsy bot!
                              • Apr 2008

You have much better days to dread in life my friend, like tax day and the day you die. That's the way I'm looking at it to deal with the pain

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X