Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Tropicana Field / Thunderdome / Florida Suncoast Dome

Quote Originally Posted by NickEsasky View Post
    it isn't a destination for ballpark fans from other states.
    All ballparks should be a destination for all fans - from every state.
    "If he's a good fastball hitter...should I throw him a bad fastball?"
    - Deep Thoughts by Larry Andersen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    All ballparks should be a destination for all fans - from every state.
    That would be nice. But the Florida Suncoast Dome wasn't built to attract tourists. It was built to get baseball. It took a while but we got baseball. So I won't comdemn the place since the ultimate goal was eventually achieved.

The ferry idea would work for a few people, but not everyone lives near water so it would be a 20 or 30 minute drive for a lot of people in Tampa just to get to a ferry. I always wanted the rays to do a party bus system where you can park at your local high school or something empty on the weekends with lots of parking then you could catch a bus and drink on it get to the game and come back on the same bus drinking lots of water to sober everyone up.

The only reason the trop needs to be replace is that its in a bad location imo. Other sports have had this problem such as the silver dome that wasn't open very long, Charlotte's basketball arena (and for the most part their baseball field), and maybe as we speak Jack Cook Stadium where the redskins play. With 80 home games a year and most being during the week its hard to get people to drive that far (in a lot of cases over an hour) from the major population points.

I don't hate the trop nor do I think its that outdated, but it could be better and if we got a new stadium we would realize what we are missing.

As everyone is saying MLB is a biz and I have family in friends from Houston (who lost the oilers), Atlanta (Who lost the thrashers), and LA (who hasn't had an NFL in years); I don't want my team to be another number of either moving (even if Paul says it can't happen) or contraction.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    I always wanted the rays to do a party bus system where you can park at your local high school or something empty on the weekends with lots of parking then you could catch a bus and drink on it get to the game and come back on the same bus drinking lots of water to sober everyone up.
    http://www.joebucsfan.com/?page_id=44896

I am in no way endorsing this man's web content (joeraysfan.com joebucsfan.com etc). Its awful. But I'm aware that they organize this bus thing to the Trop. I've not used it so I can't attest to its quality or lack thereof.

That would be nice. But the Florida Suncoast Dome wasn't built to attract tourists. It was built to get baseball. It took a while but we got baseball. So I won't comdemn the place since the ultimate goal was eventually achieved.
    That's not enough. Tourists have as much a right to be there as natives do. Ballparks should be built to that end. Complete with transit access.

Also, baseball is not meant to be played under a permanent dome. It's unnatural. Baseball is an inherently outdoor sport. At least retractable roofs can be pulled back...

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?page_id=44896

I am in no way endorsing this man's web content (joeraysfan.com joebucsfan.com etc). Its awful. But I'm aware that they organize this bus thing to the Trop. I've not used it so I can't attest to its quality or lack thereof.
    Sweet I live by the new tampa one I will have to investigate that! Why don't the rays promote something like this?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

the same Luddites who don't stop whining about "mallparks" and who believe any stadium built after 1971 sucks and all that crap. They ought to wise up and realize that baseball is indeed a business. All sports are. Innocence vanished decades ago. Times change, and there will be no denying that. Owners have every right to explore ways to make money. Players get paid, so owners need money to pay them. If it takes luxury seating to do it, BRING IT ON!
    Then that owner has to pay every penny to " bring it on " just like any business owner who wants to expand their revenue base.

Times do change, but innocence has not been lost.

If the owner wants a new Stadium in Tampa after only twenty years they need to pay every penny for that to happen, as always baseball owners believe there are different rules for them.

Not so.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-17-2012 at 04:11 PM.

^ You would still complain even if the Rays paid for the new stadium all by themselves. Admit it.

^ You would still complain even if the Rays paid for the new stadium all by themselves. Admit it.
    Really? I have not written this for other teams where they pay their own way or it's reasonably fair.

I just do not see a ballpark that was constructed in 1990 as a must for replacement when you have others that go back to the early 1900's or 1960 doing business just fine.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-17-2012 at 06:23 PM.

It's the fixed dome that hurts the most. Permanent indoor baseball is and always will be unnatural.

Lots of things are outdated if built at the wrong time of technology especially in sports its a fact of life. The key arena where the sonics played was quoted by David Stern as the best arena in the league in 94 after renovations, but then come 2004 was considered a dump. Boardwalk and Baseball's field/Plant City Stadium where both considered outdated by the 10 year mark as well. God knows whats going on with all the islander's arenas in NY. Lets not forget how many millions of dollars it took to get the white sox stadium (built just a few years before the trop) to be tolerable not even top of the line.

As a Tampa person my whole life and a fan of the rays since day 1, I don't feel bad about asking for a new stadium after everything I have pointed out is hurting the team.

Sweet I live by the new tampa one I will have to investigate that! Why don't the rays promote something like this?
    I did it last year. It's pretty nice and I'd definitely recommend it.
    "Obviously, no one wants to fail. But who's to say that failure's not a good thing masked in the wisdom that you can't see at that point? I just try to look at the positive." - Khalil Greene

It's the fixed dome that hurts the most. Permanent indoor baseball is and always will be unnatural.
    Then too are night games.

Fake sun? Unnatural!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post

Fake sun? Unnatural!
    Instant replay to review home runs? Unnatural!!

Fences? They aren't natural.

Fences? They aren't natural.
    Uniforms? Not natural!

charlie-brown-baseball-pow-color.jpg
    Marlins' magical, mystical backstop fish! Now starting on the DL for the Toronto Blue Jays!

Fake sun? Unnatural!
    Irrelevant. To be open to the sky is the most important thing. And as I said, retractable roofs can be moved.

Irrelevant. To be open to the sky is the most important thing. And as I said, retractable roofs can be moved.
    To be opened to the sky is your most important thing, that does not mean other comments about the Rays ballpark (or any enclosed facility) are just as important to them.

I'm still not seeing any tangible reason as to why a 22 year old facility cannot have what it needs without being replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    To be opened to the sky is your most important thing, that does not mean other comments about the Rays ballpark (or any enclosed facility) are just as important to them.

I'm still not seeing any tangible reason as to why a 22 year old facility cannot have what it needs without being replaced.
    It doesn't have the location.

The catwalks are also a big problem. Those things have cost the Rays a few runs over the years. And they're simply ugly to look at.

Look, I sympathize with those who think that the Trop's relatively young age should make it exempt, but in the end: the Rays don't want to play there, the fans clearly don't want to go there (as evidenced by the paltry crowd sizes), so the only option is for a new stadium. If the Trop can be converted for some other use, such as concerts, conventions, a whopping great plane'arium, then fine. But it is clearly past its prime for baseball.

The catwalks are also a big problem. Those things have cost the Rays a few runs over the years. And they're simply ugly to look at.

Look, I sympathize with those who think that the Trop's relatively young age should make it exempt, but in the end: the Rays don't want to play there, the fans clearly don't want to go there (as evidenced by the paltry crowd sizes), so the only option is for a new stadium. If the Trop can be converted for some other use, such as concerts, conventions, a whopping great plane'arium, then fine. But it is clearly past its prime for baseball.
    The rays had a plan to make the land the trop is on into an office park kind of thing, but those numbers were just made up to show potential worth without any hard evidence or any company(ies) lined up to use those office spaces.

This is going to come out rude, but the trop should St. Pete's problem if the Rays move. They built it before Tampa could bulid one and they guessed wrong on what would be needed for the future. So if the Rays leave anytime soon, I don't feel bad leaving them to figure something out.

The rays had a plan to make the land the trop is on into an office park kind of thing, but those numbers were just made up to show potential worth without any hard evidence or any company(ies) lined up to use those office spaces.

This is going to come out rude, but the trop should St. Pete's problem if the Rays move. They built it before Tampa could bulid one and they guessed wrong on what would be needed for the future. So if the Rays leave anytime soon, I don't feel bad leaving them to figure something out.
    As soon as Tampa removes the Yankees you know what from their you know where, they can then talk about having our Rays. The absolutely perfect location for a stadium is currently being occupied by the New York Yankees!! And you're footing the bill!!

Get over yourself Tampanians. Drive over the bridge. Hell, buy some tickets to a bucs game. Maybe we'll be able to catch a home game on tv one of these weeks.

Yankees have more of a right to be there than the Rays do. They've been there before the Rays even existed.

Quote Originally Posted by JPRays View Post
    As soon as Tampa removes the Yankees you know what from their you know where, they can then talk about having our Rays. The absolutely perfect location for a stadium is currently being occupied by the New York Yankees!! And you're footing the bill!!

Get over yourself Tampanians. Drive over the bridge. Hell, buy some tickets to a bucs game. Maybe we'll be able to catch a home game on tv one of these weeks.
    Take the yankees for all I care, I have a dream spot in downtown tampa for the Rays. The bucs are a different story, the prices were too high for the bad team they have been putting on the field for years.

I was in downtown Tampa Saturday to go see Rammstein at the St Pete Times Forum and couldn't help notice all the absolutely worthless DIRT parking lots in front of the arena. we had to walk right through them to get to and from our hotel and all I could think was what a huge colossal waste of space this was. that area would be perfect for a ballpark and already has the parking infrastructure (hell build another with the ballpark). I am not from Tampa but I can only assume that that is the area you are referring to Chevy114. it's such a perfect location IMO.

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast