X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efin98
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Oh great we need another bowl game where teams have to share the sidelines!
    Maybe, maybe not. It makes for an interesting change in how they operate during the game...
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Reds41
      Reds fan since 1970.
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
      Maybe in a true multi-purpose stadium but not for the few stadiums that have/will house a bowl game, they put up temporary bleachers in the outfields and used the regular grandstands for the bulk of the seating...the result was an odd looking field but it works in San Fransisco and worked in Seattle and Arizona and should work in D.C. next year.
      It might fit, but if I remember correctly, the field would be a very tight squeeze.

Originally posted by zengator View Post
      But really, any way we can squeeze more nickels out of visiting notherners is a-ok with me...
      With The Outback Bowl in Tampa, would the NCAA allow another bowl in the area? They do in Phoenix, don't they? Atlanta?

Comment

• efin98
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Reds41 View Post
        It might fit, but if I remember correctly, the field would be a very tight squeeze.

With The Outback Bowl in Tampa, would the NCAA allow another bowl in the area? They do in Phoenix, don't they? Atlanta?
        Four cities host two bowl games in the same stadium or in nearby cities:
        San Diego has the Poinsettia Bowl then the Holiday Bowl, the Phoenix area has the Fiesta Bowl and the Insight Bowl, Orlando has the Capital One Bowl and the Champs Sports Bowl, and New Orleans has the New Orleans Bowl and the Sugar Bowl.
        Best posts ever:

Comment

• Reds41
          Reds fan since 1970.
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
          Four cities host two bowl games in the same stadium or in nearby cities:
          San Diego has the Poinsettia Bowl then the Holiday Bowl, the Phoenix area has the Fiesta Bowl and the Insight Bowl, Orlando has the Capital One Bowl and the Champs Sports Bowl, and New Orleans has the New Orleans Bowl and the Sugar Bowl.
          Wow. I didn't realize it was that many.
          Last edited by Reds41; 04-01-2008, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Chevy114
            • Feb 2008

Yeah most of those 2 bowl sites have big tourist cities, so I can see were the tampa bay area may or may not be big enough to deserve to bowls, but two different sites should make up for it!
            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• zengator
              The New Beast of the East
              • Jul 2007

The Outback Bowl is a New Year's day affair, but this one sounds like a minor deal. They'd prolly play it closer to Christmas to space it out.

Comment

• Reds41
                Reds fan since 1970.
                • Feb 2008

Yeah most of those 2 bowl sites have big tourist cities, so I can see were the tampa bay area may or may not be big enough to deserve to bowls, but two different sites should make up for it!
                I think that if Tampa Bay is big enough to hold 3 Super Bowls and 22 Outback Bowls, it could hold two bowl games.

Remember....

Two games, four different sets of fans.

Comment

• efin98
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by zengator View Post
                  The Outback Bowl is a New Year's day affair, but this one sounds like a minor deal. They'd prolly play it closer to Christmas to space it out.
                  That's when the secondary games in the multi-bowl cities usually get played...
                  Best posts ever:

Comment

• Chevy114
                    • Feb 2008

I can see the bowls being spaced out, even though they are at different stadiums.
                    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Chevy114
                      • Feb 2008

Ok I just got back form the home opener tonight. My biggest issue with the trop is the parking situation. They only have 8,000 parking spots within 15 minutes walking area of the stadium. The problem is they had a sellout so they had like 30,000 people there. So even based on the old average that 3 people per car that still only equals 24,000. So we left our house in tampa at 5:30 for a 7 game. After fighting traffic we got to st. pete at 6:30 but since they had parking issues the cops kept pointing everyone until there were no more cops and no more cops. we finally found a parking garage where the rays made us pay 5 bucks for parking and a free shuttle (even though there is free parking at the stadium and not there). so we didn't get to our seats until like 7:40. I guess this just feeds into sternburgs idea that we need a new stadium that will have more parking options.

Also the tarping off of seats looks so tacky. I barely got a ticket in the beach (bleachers) from a friend but gladly would have paid to sit in the tarped off seats!

Comment

• zengator
                        The New Beast of the East
                        • Jul 2007

Parking at the Trop is definitely an issue with a near-sellout crowd. The parking and traffic planning is poor - last year, I was among a huge line of cars turned away because the main lot was "full", but we walked through the lot on the way to the Trop entrance and saw at least a couple hundred open parking spaces scattered everywhere.

And leaving is harder than it should be after a near sell-out because the St. Pete police doesn't temporarily make roads near the lots one-way to get everybody out.

They do that in Tampa around Raymond James and it helps a lot - though as someone who lives not far from the stadium, it's annoying as hell for someone who wasn't at the game and just wants to get somewhere. There really aren't any residential areas between the Trop and the interstate, tho, so there's no good reason not to get more radical on the exit strategy.

Comment

• PeteU
                          Birds and Fish
                          • Dec 2006

Also the tarping off of seats looks so tacky. I barely got a ticket in the beach (bleachers) from a friend but gladly would have paid to sit in the tarped off seats!
                          I don't think the Trop really needs to tarp off seats, as they are only a couple of thousand seats which won't be sold. That way, if you do have a "sellout" game (36,000) and people are willing to still buy tickets, you can get a lot of walk ups and get that 8,000 or so extra fans in the game without having to remove the tarps.

Down here in South Florida, they stopped the tarps about 10 years ago and while it detracts a little from the asthetics of the place, when you get a big opponent or a game like Opening Day, you aren't limited by the 34,000 "official" capacity. Plus, putting tarps on the outfield upper deck wasn't fooling anyone into thinking Dolphin Stadium was a baseball stadium anyways, so why even bother?

Comment

• Chevy114
                            • Feb 2008

Yeah the police in st. pete you could tell where just as annoyed with sternburgs plan as we were cause they were huffing an puffing about how stupid it looked too. I do wish they would would try harder to figure out an exit strategy instead ok ready set go.

As for tarping, it looked stupid since no one seats those upper deck seats behind homeplate that they covered. Its even more funny that the tram driver said they were expecting the 2nd largest crowd ever right behind the first game ever. So why not see if you can sell those other seats to walk ups.

Overall, my rooamte kept saying st. pete doesn't deserve a pro team if they keep doing this to people who drive for an hour from the major city to see a game. The parking was bad, but that play at third was even worse from my veiw. But lets stick to stadiums!

Comment

• gforce3007
                              • Apr 2008

Here is a pic of the seats being installed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• gforce3007
                                • Apr 2008

Did you ever take a pic of your Florida White Sox shirt?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X