Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 157

Thread: Braves 2010/11 Offseason Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    2,681

    Braves 2010/11 Offseason Thread

    Well the season has come to a close and while it came a little earlier then everyone would have liked it is time to move on, wish Bobby the best, and look towards the future.

    The team has holes to fill and players that they want to unload.

    Chipper seems set on returning and with Infante and Prado a backup 3B likely isn't high on the list of needs.

    Gonzalez is likely to comeback next year but if you look at the numbers in Atlanta the question is should he?

    1B is likely filled but it is hard to believe that a veteran RH backup won't be brought in to spell Freddie every now and then.

    If I had my way 4 OFers from this year's team wouldn't be coming back.

    A veteran in the pen could be added unless the Braves go with a cheap and young option instead.

    The big elephant in the room is of course replacing a Legend though it seems like the choice has already been made it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

    So what do you guys think or hope will happen this offseason.
    Extend Prado!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    1B is likely filled but it is hard to believe that a veteran RH backup won't be brought in to spell Freddie every now and then.
    Would you offer Lee arbitration? If we could retain him for a decent price, I would love to have him back. Like Billy Wagner, he's a guy I've always liked and one who gets the Braves ethos. I'm just not sure it's feasable.

    I would be okay with retaining Ankiel as a spare part type player, mainly for defense. Most of the other OF guys not named "Heyward" should probably move along, even if we have to take then out in the woods like Tom Reagan.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    Would you offer Lee arbitration? If we could retain him for a decent price, I would love to have him back. Like Billy Wagner, he's a guy I've always liked and one who gets the Braves ethos. I'm just not sure it's feasable.

    I would be okay with retaining Ankiel as a spare part type player, mainly for defense. Most of the other OF guys not named "Heyward" should probably move along, even if we have to take then out in the woods like Tom Reagan.
    I don't think offering Lee arbitration has come across the Braves mind since he would then get a salary increase on his $13 Million of this season. I think two potential realistic backup options are Melvin Mora and Mike Sweeney both are RH and both are solid hitters, Sweeney would be my first choice because like Hinske he bring some pop.

    Ankiel will have to comeback after his option is declined because there is no reason to bring him back at $6 Million but I doubt he will because his agent is Scott Boras and I doubt he takes a backup caliber deal.

    An idea for SS if the Braves can find the money and decide Alex might not be the answer, Hiroyuki Nakajima of the Seibu Lions might be posted this offseason. He has had success in the WBC being one of the major offensive forces for Team Japan and his career with Seibu has been just as good. His swing has a leg kick but he is known for using the entire field, here is a scouting report from Patrick Newman. Just throwing out an idea.

    Edit :: From the "We all saw this coming from 1,000,000 Miles away" file guess who is going to manage next year?
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 10-12-2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Extend Prado!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    2,681
    Well here is the new coaching positions

    Manager :: Freddie Gonzalez
    Bench Coach :: Carlos Tosco
    Hitting Coach :: Undecided
    Pitching Coach :: Roger McDowell
    1B Coach/Infield Instructor :: Terry Pendleton
    3B Coach :: Brian Snitker
    Bullpen Coach :: Eddie Perez


    Chino Cadahia and Glenn Hubbard will both not be retained. I hope the Braves keep Hubbard around either as a consultant or some sort of roving coach for the minors because I think he can really help young players develop in the field.
    Extend Prado!!!

  5. #5
    There was an article in the AJC today I believe. About the possibility of trading Jurrjens in exchange for an outfielder. I think Jurrjens has done pretty well for us just he was overused and ate up too many innings which put him in trouble this past year. Considering there's a lot of top talent in the pitching department coming up for us I was wondering what we could get in exchange for Jurrjens and possibly another player or two? There was another one a while back about considering getting Colby Rasmus from the Cardinals. I'm sure the Cardinals would ask for way too much in return though. Hinkse's coming back this next year isn't he? Even if he's on the bench I've always been pretty impressed with his production even without being a regular.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    Well here is the new coaching positions

    Manager :: Freddie Gonzalez
    Bench Coach :: Carlos Tosco
    Hitting Coach :: Undecided
    Pitching Coach :: Roger McDowell
    1B Coach/Infield Instructor :: Terry Pendleton
    3B Coach :: Brian Snitker
    Bullpen Coach :: Eddie Perez


    Chino Cadahia and Glenn Hubbard will both not be retained. I hope the Braves keep Hubbard around either as a consultant or some sort of roving coach for the minors because I think he can really help young players develop in the field.
    So far I really like the moving of TP from hitting coach to 1B coach. Now I'm really anxious to see whose gonna be the new hitting coach.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,885
    PBF has been advocating trading JJ for a while now. It's an idea I'm warming up to, depending on who we can get for him.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler4 View Post
    There was an article in the AJC today I believe. About the possibility of trading Jurrjens in exchange for an outfielder. I think Jurrjens has done pretty well for us just he was overused and ate up too many innings which put him in trouble this past year. Considering there's a lot of top talent in the pitching department coming up for us I was wondering what we could get in exchange for Jurrjens and possibly another player or two? There was another one a while back about considering getting Colby Rasmus from the Cardinals. I'm sure the Cardinals would ask for way too much in return though. Hinkse's coming back this next year isn't he? Even if he's on the bench I've always been pretty impressed with his production even without being a regular.
    I have seen many link the possibility of trading Jair for Colby Rasmus, it has some real hurdles with the biggest one being the fact that it would be extremely stupid for the Cardinals to move Rasmus. He is one of their few quality bats and without him it will be Pujols and Holliday then a bunch of average to below average players that won't scare anyone. Unless La Russa an Rasmus are at each other's throats there is no reason to trade Rasmus.

    Here are some names I think the Braves may look at trading for.

    Chris Young :: Not a fan if you want to know why just look at his Home and Away Splits.

    Matt Kemp :: Similar rumors to Rasmus with management not being completely happy with him, adds some power, speed, and defense but a whole lot of strikeouts as well.

    Cody Ross :: Braves might not need to trade for him as he could get non-tendered, Braves have been linked to him in the past (including this year) and has been a solid player though isn't really much of an impact player.

    Luke Scott :: Some questions about his power away from Oriole Park but is still a good option for power, defense is a major question mark.

    Michael Cuddyer :: Not sure if he will be on the market but if the Twins give any hints he is I think the Braves will be calling.

    Carlos Quentin :: Not the healthiest guy in the world and like several others one should look at his Home/Road splits.

    Some Free Agents I think they will at least kick the tires on are.

    Pat Burrell :: Perhaps the Braves best bet at "impact" power, bad defense comes with him.

    Johnny Damon :: Questions about his ability to play everday in the field, nothing great but would provide good leadoff option allowing to lengthen the lineup overall.

    Jeremy Hermida :: Still young, had his best year under Freddi in Florida and would likely come cheap, low risk solid reward.

    There is no right answer, Rasmus would be the best but I have serious questions about if it can/will happen, and as Frank Wren said they will have to get creative to solve any problems and if they can find a big bat is a serious question.
    Extend Prado!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,885
    Kemp would make me happy (or at least optimistic.)

    Any thoughts on B. J. Upton? He's often mentioned in the same breath with Kemp.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    Any thoughts on B. J. Upton? He's often mentioned in the same breath with Kemp.
    I am not sure he will be on the market, they aren't going to bring back Crawford and might not be able to afford Carlos Pena so they can't give up another offensive piece even if he isn't playing at a high level. They might trade him if they are going to lower their payroll (which reportedly they are) by a semi-large amount forcing them to unload someone like Upton who will get a pay raise.

    I am not a huge fan of B.J. Upton (love his brother), good defense but offensive tools are lacking with average walk rate, terrible strikeout rate, power that has fallen since 2007, contact ability has fallen every year. His speed is attractive somewhere in the Braves order but overall the package isn't super exciting.

    Edit :: He is also in the final year of Arbitration which might make it more likely he is traded but also makes him less valuable to the Braves.
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 10-15-2010 at 07:25 AM.
    Extend Prado!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    1,812
    i read somewhere a couple weeks ago (and forgot to post it here) that the a potential trade of rasmus would only take kimbrel, vizcaino and omar infante. Despite what omar meant for this team this past season, I would be all over that. I mean you are selling high on him and with kimbrel you have venters who can still close and the braves could bring in another RH pen arm if they felt they needed one.

    edit: then the braves could try and sign juan uribe (FA i believe) if they wanted another utility guy. I have always liked him.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    i read somewhere a couple weeks ago (and forgot to post it here) that the a potential trade of rasmus would only take kimbrel, vizcaino and omar infante. Despite what omar meant for this team this past season, I would be all over that. I mean you are selling high on him and with kimbrel you have venters who can still close and the braves could bring in another RH pen arm if they felt they needed one.
    I read that article to but it was trying to figure out the value of Rasmus with the Author's opinion being that deal. I would not be a fan of the deal personally as it would hurt the overall depth of the Braves team and I believe Kimbrel is a better choice as closer then Venters. I might offer Arodys and Jair for Rasmus but those are the guys I would offer.
    Extend Prado!!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    I might offer Arodys and Jair for Rasmus but those are the guys I would offer.
    That's about as much as I would go for, as well.

    If we move JJ, would you guys want to sign a stop gap vet to help hold the fort until the arrival of the Rand-Julio Duo? If so, any names?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    That's about as much as I would go for, as well.

    If we move JJ, would you guys want to sign a stop gap vet to help hold the fort until the arrival of the Rand-Julio Duo? If so, any names?
    That's a good question... let's see... what about Ted Lilly? His WHIP was still crazy good with the Cubs (1.137), so the boost he got with the Dodgers (0.991) doesn't skew things too much.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,885
    Well, there's this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    That's a good question... let's see... what about Ted Lilly? His WHIP was still crazy good with the Cubs (1.137), so the boost he got with the Dodgers (0.991) doesn't skew things too much.
    Lilly is reportedly going to resign with the Dodgers for three years.

    Some free agent starters to take a look at.

    Kevin Millwood :: Old friend that could benefit from the move to the NL and leaving Oriole Park for Turner Field.

    Jeff Francis :: Not the same pitcher he was a couple of years ago but still a solid lefty that could benefit from a move to a more pitcher friendly park like Turner.

    Aaron Harang :: Another guy that could benefit big time from getting out of his current team's stadium, him in Great American Ballpark looks bad but him in Turner could look pretty good.

    Hiroki Kuroda :: Of the Free Agents not named Lee he has been the most productive pitcher, he would cost the most money but would likely be better then most on this list.

    Javier Vazquez :: Another old friend, his fastball isn't the same but I also think he just mentally isn't the right pitcher for New York that plus he benefitted hugely from Turner Field.

    Jake Westbrook :: Another Groundball pitcher tha when healthy you know you will likely get 200 innings and an ERA around 3.50 to 4.00

    Here are some guys that I think the Braves could trade for.

    Paul Maholm :: Not a very attrative option to be honest.

    Zack Duke :: See Pitcher above.

    Matt Garza :: Good option but one where the team will likely want offense/position prospects which the Braves don't really have.

    James Shields :: See Pitcher above.

    Jeremy Guthrie :: Interesting option if he is put on the market, not a big strikeout pitcher or groundball pitcher which makes him quite odd.

    Daisuke Matsuzaka :: In my mind is by far the most interesting option if the Red Sox put him on the market, Dice-K has a full NTC and has already commented he would be willing to wave it for a West Coast Team so that is a hurdle. He make $10 Million a year for 2011 and 2012 so any deal would have to include some money coming from the Red Sox. Trying to figure out a deal is tough because if the Sox are tired of him (Dice-K has had some comments about the Sox management which could have rubbed them the wrong way). If they want to just move on then Kenshin, O'Flare, and a prospect could make sense but that is purely a guess and one I can't say is realistic in anyway.

    Any deal that would add Dice-K has huge hurdles to overcome but if you want to add a potential Ace like starter then no one else on this list comes close to him.
    Extend Prado!!!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    1,812
    don't you guys think realistically if the braves do move JJ then KK will have to be in the rotation? i don't see them leaving KK in the bullpen, nor do I see them trading both of them.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    don't you guys think realistically if the braves do move JJ then KK will have to be in the rotation? i don't see them leaving KK in the bullpen, nor do I see them trading both of them.
    I think no matter what KK will be traded, not only is the potential salary relief big but I think both sides want to move on. Worst case scenario Minor and Beachy become your 4th and 5th starters which is likely better right now then Kenshin in any position.
    Extend Prado!!!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    I think no matter what KK will be traded, not only is the potential salary relief big but I think both sides want to move on. Worst case scenario Minor and Beachy become your 4th and 5th starters which is likely better right now then Kenshin in any position.
    that just seems like to me, that the braves would be turning a strength (SP depth) into a weakness by trading two starters. I mean the braves used 8 starters this season, for example.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    that just seems like to me, that the braves would be turning a strength (SP depth) into a weakness by trading two starters. I mean the braves used 8 starters this season, for example.
    To be honest I don't think they see Kenshin as a part of the strength and if in a theoretical world the Braves could grab Rasmus for Jair and Arodys, and a traded Kenshin the Braves could potentially save $10 Million which then could reinvested into another starter allowing the Braves to keep their depth. Basically the rotation depth would be similar minus one pitcher that the Braves clearly wish to move on from.

    Rotation Depth Chart

    1. Derek Lowe
    2. Tim Hudson
    3. Tommy Hanson
    4. Free agent or trade lets say Aaron Harang
    5. Mike Minor
    6. Brandon Beachy
    7. Scott Diamond
    8. Todd Redmond
    9. Randall Delgado
    10. Julio Teheran

    The only difference in a scenario of keeping Kenshin in this case would be Kenshin as the 4th starter instead of a free agent and depending on the starter you could make arguement that the Braves would be better off with a free agent instead of Kenshin.

    I would agree with you if in the scenario I laid out the Braves simply made Minor the 4th starter and Beachy the 5th starter that would make me worried about potential depth problems but I think if the Braves were to trade two of their starters they would at the very least replace one with some outside player.
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 10-17-2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Extend Prado!!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,885
    All of your listed options are intriguing. If we could get them reasonably, I would love to have Vasquez or Millwood (probably in that order) back here.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post

    I would agree with you if in the scenario I laid out the Braves simply made Minor the 4th starter and Beachy the 5th starter that would make me worried about potential depth problems but I think if the Braves were to trade two of their starters they would at the very least replace one with some outside player.

    I would agree with that. Just seems that the braves would more likely keep JJ than bring in another starter. I guess JJ is going to arb for the first time this season, right? I think with his down year he would still make less money than a FA of his caliber on the market. Should be interesting to see how the braves play it.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    I would agree with that. Just seems that the braves would more likely keep JJ than bring in another starter. I guess JJ is going to arb for the first time this season, right? I think with his down year he would still make less money than a FA of his caliber on the market. Should be interesting to see how the braves play it.
    I doubt the Braves end up trading him but if the Braves were going to trade a starter not named Kenshin then Jair by far makes the most sense.
    Extend Prado!!!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    I doubt the Braves end up trading him but if the Braves were going to trade a starter not named Kenshin then Jair by far makes the most sense.
    agreed. and it looks like cody ross isn't going to come cheap with the way he is playing in the playoffs. dang!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    All of your listed options are intriguing. If we could get them reasonably, I would love to have Vasquez or Millwood (probably in that order) back here.
    I'm not sure Millwood is a good option anymore: his WHIPs have been in the 1.5-1.7 range three of the last four seasons.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •