Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves 2010/11 Offseason Thread

That's why I put him second

Braves released Melky Cabrera, Takashi Saito, and J.C. Boscan. Nothing shocking here, it will be interesting to see what they do with Diaz.
    Extend Prado!!!

The Braves need to get this outfield/middle of the order hitter situation fixed!
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    Braves released Melky Cabrera, Takashi Saito, and J.C. Boscan. Nothing shocking here, it will be interesting to see what they do with Diaz.
    yay for melky! i wonder if matt young would be a candidate to replace diaz? he would be much cheaper and from what I hear he can play all 3 OFs spots, ideal for a 4th OF.

It would appear the Braves are having serious talks with a Japanese team of trading Kenshin back to Japan. I would hope the Braves could get whatever team to take on 4 Million of the contract but 3 Million is fine in the grand scheme of things.
    Extend Prado!!!

Fingers crossed.

I don't think he's as bad as his numbers suggest but it's just best for all concerned if Ken and the Braves part ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    Fingers crossed.

I don't think he's as bad as his numbers suggest but it's just best for all concerned if Ken and the Braves part ways.
    Right. It was the perfect storm of unluckiness and badness that did him in last season.

A nice post on MLBtraderumors.com showing the payroll commitments, the Braves ring in at $61.867 (I believe that is before any options being picked up).
    Extend Prado!!!

A nice post on MLBtraderumors.com showing the payroll commitments, the Braves ring in at $61.867 (I believe that is before any options being picked up).
    i really hope the braves get a reliable, consistent OF guy. whether it's a 30HR guy or a 30-40 steals guy I don't care and it doesn't have to be werth or crawford. just something that you can count on for 150 games whether you are facing a righty or a lefty.

edit: and two guys that I want alot more on the braves after watching this postseason are juan uribe (already really wanted him for his pop off the bench and versatility i think he could replace omar if the braves wanted to include him in a deal) and cody ross (very big in the clutch so far).
    Last edited by chip&smoltz95; 10-24-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    edit: and two guys that I want alot more on the braves after watching this postseason are juan uribe (already really wanted him for his pop off the bench and versatility i think he could replace omar if the braves wanted to include him in a deal) and cody ross (very big in the clutch so far).
    I doubt the Giants give up Ross after this big postseason. I think before the postseason they would have tried to lockup both Burrell and Huff but now I think they will go for Uribe and Huff instead. I think they are looking at an OF of Ross in right, Torres in CF, and some form of platoon with DeRosa being the main guy.

I like Infante's versatility over Uribe's offensive edge, I also think Uribe will get more money then Infante will make.
    Extend Prado!!!

I would be really interested if especially Matt Kemp or Michael Cuddyer came into the picture of possibilities for the outfield.

I have seen many link the possibility of trading Jair for Colby Rasmus, it has some real hurdles with the biggest one being the fact that it would be extremely stupid for the Cardinals to move Rasmus. He is one of their few quality bats and without him it will be Pujols and Holliday then a bunch of average to below average players that won't scare anyone. Unless La Russa an Rasmus are at each other's throats there is no reason to trade Rasmus.

Here are some names I think the Braves may look at trading for.

Chris Young :: Not a fan if you want to know why just look at his Home and Away Splits.

Matt Kemp :: Similar rumors to Rasmus with management not being completely happy with him, adds some power, speed, and defense but a whole lot of strikeouts as well.

Cody Ross :: Braves might not need to trade for him as he could get non-tendered, Braves have been linked to him in the past (including this year) and has been a solid player though isn't really much of an impact player.

Luke Scott :: Some questions about his power away from Oriole Park but is still a good option for power, defense is a major question mark.

Michael Cuddyer :: Not sure if he will be on the market but if the Twins give any hints he is I think the Braves will be calling.

Carlos Quentin :: Not the healthiest guy in the world and like several others one should look at his Home/Road splits.

Some Free Agents I think they will at least kick the tires on are.

Pat Burrell :: Perhaps the Braves best bet at "impact" power, bad defense comes with him.

Johnny Damon :: Questions about his ability to play everday in the field, nothing great but would provide good leadoff option allowing to lengthen the lineup overall.

Jeremy Hermida :: Still young, had his best year under Freddi in Florida and would likely come cheap, low risk solid reward.

There is no right answer, Rasmus would be the best but I have serious questions about if it can/will happen, and as Frank Wren said they will have to get creative to solve any problems and if they can find a big bat is a serious question.

i really hope the braves get a reliable, consistent OF guy. whether it's a 30HR guy or a 30-40 steals guy I don't care and it doesn't have to be werth or crawford. just something that you can count on for 150 games whether you are facing a righty or a lefty.

I couldn't agree more with what you said. That is my exact feelings on this matter. We would be in serious business if we could get possibly two. I wish we had just a couple big boppers in our lineup. One with big time raw power and the other consistent get on base steal threat. I'd prefer them to be switch or right handed though consider it's a pretty dominant lefty lineup and our lefty on lefty matchups aren't very consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler4 View Post
    I couldn't agree more with what you said. That is my exact feelings on this matter. We would be in serious business if we could get possibly two. I wish we had just a couple big boppers in our lineup. One with big time raw power and the other consistent get on base steal threat. I'd prefer them to be switch or right handed though consider it's a pretty dominant lefty lineup and our lefty on lefty matchups aren't very consistent.
    ... why do we need an "on base steal" threat? What is with people's obsession with that? What the Braves need are people who get on base, make consistent contact and are smart baserunners. They don't necessarily have to have "speed".

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    ... why do we need an "on base steal" threat? What is with people's obsession with that? What the Braves need are people who get on base, make consistent contact and are smart baserunners. They don't necessarily have to have "speed".
    My guess people want the Braves to be more aggresive and less passive, stealing bases does put pressure on the defense but one guy really won't do a ton unless they steal 50 or 60 bases with a low caught rate. I personally want the Braves to simply have productive bats and I could careless about the extras the bring.

Edit ::
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler4 View Post
    To put it blunt the Braves won't be doing that unless something serious happens, ie. Liberty Media raises the payroll (which by all accounts isn't happening) or Chipper retires which isn't going to happen before Spring Training if at all.

The Braves will likely stay at around $85 Million in payroll and even with conservative estimates of arbitration and letting people that could be deemed as not needed (Diaz) the Braves might have around $10 Million in payroll room. The only way the Braves add an impact bat is going to be a trade and the best option to trade is still Jair, who I believe will be traded even with what Frank Wren is saying, and even then the names people bring up aren't making me jump around in anticipation and almost all are flawed. There are 4 names that interest me and all 4 have major obstacles and aren't likely to be traded anyway.

Colby Rasmus :: Might be the best overall CFer in the majors right now, problem is why in the hell would St. Louis do this. The Cardinals have 3 legit hitters on their team named Pujols, Holliday, and Rasmus so unless Tony LaRussa thinks Rasmus is the Devil trying to take his soul any move of Rasmus without a serious bat coming bat in return makes no sense.

Coco Crisp :: Good defense, solid hitter and can steal bases, the A's are likely to pick up his option and until the Trade deadline I doubt they would trade him.

Brett Gardner :: The Yankees would have to sign either Werth or Crawford (and if they were to sign Cliff Lee even I doubt that happens unless they do another move), even then I would have to guess Granderson would be the first name put on the block with his contract. My personal choice but one that I just have majors doubts will happen.

Jacoby Ellsbury :: Rumors persist that he has fallen out of favor with the Boston front office but the Braves don't match up real well in my opinion unless the Braves trade major prospects something I don't want to see.

I think the most likely thing to happen is the Braves stick McLouth in the 7th hole and then sign a pair to platoon in LF of either Diaz (I think they non-tender him and resign him at a lower price) and someone like Jeremy Hermida who Fredi has coached before.

The biggest thing is the Braves simply need to get healthy and stay that way.
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 10-26-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Extend Prado!!!

My guess people want the Braves to be more aggresive and less passive, stealing bases does put pressure on the defense but one guy really won't do a ton unless they steal 50 or 60 bases with a low caught rate. I personally want the Braves to simply have productive bats and I could careless about the extras the bring.
    Exactly, thank you.

i think with a serious base-stealing threat at the top and heyward presumably in the 2-hole, that's a lot of speed at the top followed by a hopefully healthy and productive chipper, mccann and prado (yes, i am okay with prado batting fifth, or flipping chipper and prado, yea i know right). Whether it's stealing bases, staying out of double plays, going 1 to third on a single to the OF, scoring from 1st on a play in the gap. It makes it easier to manufacture runs when you aren't hitting home runs three times a game.

i think with a serious base-stealing threat at the top and heyward presumably in the 2-hole, that's a lot of speed at the top followed by a hopefully healthy and productive chipper, mccann and prado (yes, i am okay with prado batting fifth, or flipping chipper and prado, yea i know right). Whether it's stealing bases, staying out of double plays, going 1 to third on a single to the OF, scoring from 1st on a play in the gap. It makes it easier to manufacture runs when you aren't hitting home runs three times a game.
    Okay, then let me pose this to you: can the Braves afford anyone with that extra burst of speed? It's an overvauled commodity right now. The only one that even makes sense to me is Carl Crawford, and he's going to get piles of money thrown at him.

Okay, then let me pose this to you: can the Braves afford anyone with that extra burst of speed? It's an overvauled commodity right now. The only one that even makes sense to me is Carl Crawford, and he's going to get piles of money thrown at him.

agreed, but werth could be a 20 base steal threat too. I also think via trade the braves could look at m.bourn/h.pence if either is avaiable. matt kemp or brett gardner (don't want curtis granderson) could be a possibility. as far as cheap goes I know coco crisp could be an option as PBF mentioned, but I like Scott Podsednik (only cost 1.6mil last season). he's hit over .300 the last two seasons with 30+ steals.

agreed, but werth could be a 20 base steal threat too. I also think via trade the braves could look at m.bourn/h.pence if either is avaiable. matt kemp or brett gardner (don't want curtis granderson) could be a possibility. as far as cheap goes I know coco crisp could be an option as PBF mentioned, but I like Scott Podsednik (only cost 1.6mil last season). he's hit over .300 the last two seasons with 30+ steals.
    Let me put it this way: I'd much rather have the Braves overpay Jayson Werth AND have him suck for most of the deal than view Scott Podsednik as any kind of solution. I do not trust him keeping up his average or his steals next year in the least. (He hit .297 last year.)

Let me put it this way: I'd much rather have the Braves overpay Jayson Werth AND have him suck for most of the deal than view Scott Podsednik as any kind of solution. I do not trust him keeping up his average or his steals next year in the least. (He hit .297 last year.)
    i'd rather have pods than coco crisp. just saying if we are gonna go the cheap route.

i'd rather have pods than coco crisp. just saying if we are gonna go the cheap route.
    Why? Crisp is better in all respects except two areas, the first is BA though the fact their OBP are very similar makes the advantage small at best, the second is health which is clearly is Podsednik's favor.

Overall though Crisp would be the clear choice overall if both were on the market (I actually don't think either will be), Crisp can play Gold Glove caliber CF which Podsednik cannot, Crisp can hit for some power which Podsednik hasn't shown any real ability to do, Crisp SB% have been over 80% (85% is considered by some to be the threshold between useful speed and negative speed) 4 out of the past 5 years while Podsednik hasn't had a SB% over 75% in the past 5 years, and finally Crisp is a switch hitter while he isn't as strong against RHP compared to LHP (RHP .275/.332/.399, LHP .283/.333/.437) compared to Podsednik being a pure lefty whos power goes from below average to terrible (RHP .283/.344/.391, LHP .270/.329/.348).
    Extend Prado!!!

Why? Crisp is better in all respects except two areas, the first is BA though the fact their OBP are very similar makes the advantage small at best, the second is health which is clearly is Podsednik's favor.
    mainly, because of that. our options are already thin in the OF, I don't want to get a guy that will just end up not playing and we resort to some AAA guy playing most of the season. can crisp really still play GG caliber CF with all the injuries?

mainly, because of that. our options are already thin in the OF, I don't want to get a guy that will just end up not playing and we resort to some AAA guy playing most of the season. can crisp really still play GG caliber CF with all the injuries?
    By all accounts and defensive metrics he plays a quality CF compared to Podsednik which by those same metrics struggles is an average defender in LF. I say pick the best player personally, Podsednik doesn't do anything but make slightly more contact which isn't all the valueable unless it leads to a pretty decent advantage in OBP which it doesn't. If both somehow made it on the market I would much rather take the injury risk for the clearly better player.

The real best case scenario for the Braves is the Red Sox sign Crawford and end up putting Ellsbury on the market, one can hope.

Reportedly the Braves are going to sign Larry Parrish to be their hitting coach.
    Extend Prado!!!

The real best case scenario for the Braves is the Red Sox sign Crawford and end up putting Ellsbury on the market, one can hope.

Reportedly the Braves are going to sign Larry Parrish to be their hitting coach.
    i would take that, but what do you think it would cost?

I would like to say to anybody that badmouths the Parrish hiring should just shut up. I have seen some talk about his BA and OBP, anyone that brings that up when discussing a hitting coach are nothing more then dumb people thinking they no what makes a good coach. Just for perspective the guy many consider one of the best hitting coaches right now hit .258 in four seasons in the minors, for those that don't know it is Rudy Jaramillo but I am sure he sucks as a coach considering he can't hit.

I am not saying he will be a good hitting coach or a bad one but we're not going to know until a season or two at the earliest, so if you are trying to make any real judgement before he is even officially announced JUST SHUT UP!!!
    Extend Prado!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast