Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Braves 2010/11 Offseason Thread

Blog article by DOB, about Schaefer: http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...or-big-return/

Do you guys think he's a viable option to replace McLouth? This is my first time reading about Matt Young, any other insight you guys could provide?
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
    Blog article by DOB, about Schaefer: http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...or-big-return/

Do you guys think he's a viable option to replace McLouth? This is my first time reading about Matt Young, any other insight you guys could provide?
    schafer is an interesting wild card. i think matt young could make the team as a 4th OF option if they want schafer to get regular (and I think he should) reps in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
    Solid speed, solid bat, solid defense (though I read that he isn't great in CF and lacks a good arm), can play 2B, he has never really gotten his shot as guys like Schafer had more upside as a starter and Diaz blocked him getting a bench spot, he is a short guy which has also been held against him. Basically he is a guy that you watch and root for, I know I am hoping he makes the team.

Here is a link to his stats.
    Extend Prado!!!

well, the red soxs signed crawford as well as a-gon. I wonder if the braves would trade either JJ or minor or beachy for ellsbury (i guess cameron would be available before him, but you never know)
    Last edited by chip&smoltz95; 12-08-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    well, the red soxs signed crawford as well as a-gon. I wonder if the braves would trade either JJ or minor or beachy for ellsbury (i guess cameron would be available before him, but you never know)
    They're trying to trade Kawakami to the Pirates still, so I seriously doubt that's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    They're trying to trade Kawakami to the Pirates still, so I seriously doubt that's happening.
    why does that matter? the braves still have a surplus of two starters including KK. Not to mention medlen, tehran and delgado could all be ready by the end of the season. I would be shocked if JJ is on the team next season and not that surprised if he gets dealt before the deadline for an OF or something.

edit: on an unrelated note, what do you guys think of the pen this year? If last years rookies hold up I think it will be a deeper pen than last year. Got some interesting signing with sherrill and linebrink. Hopefully they can have an improvement with the help of roger (I think he is a underrated pitching coach).
    Last edited by chip&smoltz95; 12-10-2010 at 07:06 AM.

why does that matter? the braves still have a surplus of two starters including KK. Not to mention medlen, tehran and delgado could all be ready by the end of the season. I would be shocked if JJ is on the team next season and not that surprised if he gets dealt before the deadline for an OF or something.

edit: on an unrelated note, what do you guys think of the pen this year? If last years rookies hold up I think it will be a deeper pen than last year. Got some interesting signing with sherrill and linebrink. Hopefully they can have an improvement with the help of roger (I think he is a underrated pitching coach).
    I would guess Sam means the Braves need to make sure they have payroll to make any additional moves (though any KK deal would appear to not be saving all that much), so by making sure a KK deal goes down first it will at the very least free up some cash even if it is only an extra Million.

I have confidence Linebrink will bounce back by simply being in Turner Field and getting away from U.S. Cellular, he is a flyball pitcher which works in stadiums like San Diego (his most succesful years) or Turner but not so much in big hitter's parks like U.S. How Sherril does I think will have a lot to do with Freddie, if he doesn't expose him often to RH then I think Sherril should be a great Lefty out of the pen but if Freddie uses him as a 1 inning type of pitcher (unless all 3 hitters are lefties of course) then he could be just as bad as he was in LA.

The biggest bonuse to the bullpen is the arms in the higher levels, Gearrin, Hyde, and Marek all jump to mind but guys like Cordier, Pruneda, Abreu, Ortegano, and Broadway could all be interesting arms.
    Extend Prado!!!

What I meant was because they're trying to trade Kawakami, it would be a little foolhardy to trade Jurrjens or Minor, as it would create a hole in the rotation that Brandon Beachy has to fill full-time.

Since the Yankees might be looking for pitching do you guys think the Braves should jump in and offer someone up?
    Extend Prado!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    Since the Yankees might be looking for pitching do you guys think the Braves should jump in and offer someone up?
    depends on who the yanks are offering... i might trade minor or beachy for close to ready MLB talent. However, I am not trading JJ unless they give us one of their starting OFs, which i don't see happening. What about a trade to tex? I am a little unfamilar with their OF situation. On second thought, maybe a big time prospect at the AA or AAA level is what the braves could use. If mclouth struggles then you can call him up and if he doesn't then you just leave the prospect down there and use him next year.

depends on who the yanks are offering... i might trade minor or beachy for close to ready MLB talent. However, I am not trading JJ unless they give us one of their starting OFs, which i don't see happening. What about a trade to tex? I am a little unfamilar with their OF situation. On second thought, maybe a big time prospect at the AA or AAA level is what the braves could use. If mclouth struggles then you can call him up and if he doesn't then you just leave the prospect down there and use him next year.
    I was thinking more along the lines of Lowe or JJ. I don't think the Yankees need a ton of offense and they could go out on the free agent market and get someone like Ordonez or Damon to replace any OFer, I think I would offer two packages.

Gardner for JJ and a prospect or Lowe for Swisher.
    Extend Prado!!!

Either of those are well worth considering, especially if we could get a return for Derek.

I was thinking more along the lines of Lowe or JJ. I don't think the Yankees need a ton of offense and they could go out on the free agent market and get someone like Ordonez or Damon to replace any OFer, I think I would offer two packages.

Gardner for JJ and a prospect or Lowe for Swisher.
    would they really want the two years of lowe left though? I do like the idea of swisher more than I have in recent years, cause he could play the OF and possibly 1B against tough lefties. I guess swisher probably couldn't play CF, but I wonder if the trade did happen if they would could move heyward to cf and swisher to RF if mclouth struggles.

Yal would really trade JJ and a prospect for gardner? He just barely beat out Melky for the starting CF job and that's how we got him. The Braves are set. McLouth will get back to his formal all-star hitting. He is a doubles machine and plays a good CF with the downside of a noodle arm. The Braves need a backup INF that can play short and short and even a little CF. We can't get by with brooks and hernandez as our bench INF players.
    trusted traders: Rockhound,xholdourownx,Drillbit,Tebow15

Quote Originally Posted by Rpollard86 View Post
    Yal would really trade JJ and a prospect for gardner? He just barely beat out Melky for the starting CF job and that's how we got him. The Braves are set. McLouth will get back to his formal all-star hitting. He is a doubles machine and plays a good CF with the downside of a noodle arm. The Braves need a backup INF that can play short and short and even a little CF. We can't get by with brooks and hernandez as our bench INF players.
    He didn't barely beat out Melky, the Yankees could have easily non-tendered Melky as he brings very little to the table and off the field wasn't seen in the best light. Gardner and Melky are two hugely different players one has shown the ability to be a quality player and the other has only gone down hill.

Your McLouth statement is what we all hope but until he actually does something that isn't in Spring Training or September he is still a huge question mark and one the Braves should have a backup plan for in case he doesn't comeback.
    Extend Prado!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rpollard86 View Post
    my thought is with the news that tehran and delgado will probably be ready by the beginning of next season at the latest, that the braves probably will trade trade JJ before the start of next season. Otherwise in 2012 you have hudson, lowe, JJ, hanson, minor, beachy, medlen, delgado, tehran competing for 5 SP spots. In 2013, it would be more managable with huddy and lowe gone, but that still leaves probably nine starters (I added a guy like hoover and then vizcaino to the mix) for 5 SP spots. Lastly, JJ is going to be the most expensive the quickest and I think it comes down to keeping him or hanson (both boras clients) long-term. Going with hanson probably allows the braves to re-sign mccann if needed and keep money for prado and heyward who will be hitting arb money.

I do agree the braves probably need another backup SS (other than diory).

i didn't really want to start a new thread for this, but when the time comes for the braves to be sold by liberty media I was wondering if mark cuban would be a good fit. Yes, he's a little jerry jones like (very outspoken owner) but he has lots of money. He's interesting in buying a team (attempted to buy cubs and rangers) and most importantly he would field a compeptitive team for sure.

i didn't really want to start a new thread for this, but when the time comes for the braves to be sold by liberty media I was wondering if mark cuban would be a good fit. Yes, he's a little jerry jones like (very outspoken owner) but he has lots of money. He's interesting in buying a team (attempted to buy cubs and rangers) and most importantly he would field a compeptitive team for sure.
    Perhaps but he seems to have moved on now and is using his money in an attempt to setup a playoff system for College Football. If that fails the Braves could be of interest to Cuban, from a pure money making standpoint the Braves control the vast majority of the south and with better marketing and keeping young players/winning could start bringing in a lot of money.

There are rumors that Liberty Media won't sell right away either because of the economy or perhaps an attempt to rise the price overall.

My guess is the Arthur Blank would be close to the top of the list of potential buyers both money wise and fitting into the MLB owners mold (quiet and reserved), I know Selig would like him because he has strong connections to the area and has shown with the Falcons he is willing to spend money on his teams.

The only other type of buyer/s I could think of is a group in the same fashion as the Nationals, Red Sox, or Rangers.
    Extend Prado!!!

Blank is pretty much the Prince Charming of MLB (and most Braves fans) among potential owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    Blank is pretty much the Prince Charming of MLB (and most Braves fans) among potential owners.
    For good reason (I am a Falcons fan to be fair) he is willing to use his money, he doesn't interfere in player personal choices, and he supports the team in a quiet reserved manor that doesn't make him a laughing stock. While an owner like Cuban would be nice (his ability to spend money on luxuries that could attract certain types of players) his brash over the top style while great for fans of the team he owns can also rub other owners and someone like Selig the wrong way.
    Extend Prado!!!

Which is why he's never going to get into The Club.

Blank would be fine with me. Most anyone not financially (or mentally) unstable (or married to someone who is either) would be good with me. The current situation is, and has long been, untenable.

Blank would be fine with me. Most anyone not financially (or mentally) unstable (or married to someone who is either) would be good with me. The current situation is, and has long been, untenable.
    What you don't like having faceless corporate boards that have know interest in the team they own and view the team as nothing more then another piece in their portfolio?
    Extend Prado!!!

i agree that the liberty media won't sell right away, that's part of the reason i mentioned cuban. His focus might be re-energized into wanting a team. Secondly, I don't think selig will be around by the time the braves are sold again. I don't think his contract is for that much longer and I saw an interview before the playoffs that said he might be done in a year or two. Cuban wouldn't not be more of a "stink" on the owners club than "the dumb and dumber" steinbreiner boys (at least when the first start and hal was giving away money like candy and hank was just a buffoon with no filter).

i agree that the liberty media won't sell right away, that's part of the reason i mentioned cuban. His focus might be re-energized into wanting a team. Secondly, I don't think selig will be around by the time the braves are sold again. I don't think his contract is for that much longer and I saw an interview before the playoffs that said he might be done in a year or two. Cuban wouldn't not be more of a "stink" on the owners club than "the dumb and dumber" steinbreiner boys (at least when the first start and hal was giving away money like candy and hank was just a buffoon with no filter).
    The Steinbrenner boys didn't have to buy into the league as they got the team from dear old dad so the owners couldn't stop them from taking over and doing whatever they wanted.

From what I understand both time Cuban intially outbid his opponents for the Cubs and Rangers, Ryan and his group later outbid Cuban but the Cubs was more interesting. According to reports the offer from a group led by Cuban (just to happens Hank Aaron was in that group) was for $1.3 Billion which got them to the second round of bidding but they weren't invited to the final round of bidding where the Cubs (along with Wrigley Field and 25% of Comcast SportsNet Chicago) were sold for around $900 Million. While this is far from proof that MLB doesn't want Cuban as an owner his two attempts at buying baseball teams both ended in some odd ways.

If Cuban does attempt to buy the Braves if/when they are put up for sale the only hope is that the faceless corporate owners only care about money. The problem is of course the fact that LM has interest in DirecTV along with some of its' sports Networks which broadcast baseball and might not wish to rock the boat with any of the owners or the Commissioner.

While I would like Cuban as an owner, I still would prefer an Arthur Blank led group to buy the Braves over anyone else.
    Extend Prado!!!

The Steinbrenner boys didn't have to buy into the league as they got the team from dear old dad so the owners couldn't stop them from taking over and doing whatever they wanted.
    While I would like Cuban as an owner, I still would prefer an Arthur Blank led group to buy the Braves over anyone else.
    this maybe naive, but who do the owners stop someone from buying a team? Or do you mean the current owners of the team? Secondly, just curious do you know if blank has any interest in the braves? read or heard anything. I am not a falcons fan, so I don't really know much about him other than he's got money.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast