Thread: Dodger Tape measure home runs.....

Dodger Tape measure home runs.....

Can you recall any Dodger tape measure home runs and if so kindly describe them. I can start this off with Duke Snider's blast at Forbes Field, I believe in 1956, over the 436 ft mark and over the trees behind the wall, I would guess 470's to 500 ft. Only a couple of players had done it up to that time, all left handed batters. Mantle was the first right handed batter to do it several years later in the 1960 WS.

i remember duke hitting one in "55 (i believe) that broke the clock in old sportsmas park in st.louis. actually it might have been called busch stadium as it was a budwieser beer clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Can you recall any Dodger tape measure home runs and if so kindly describe them. I can start this off with Duke Snider's blast at Forbes Field, I believe in 1956, over the 436 ft mark and over the trees behind the wall, I would guess 470's to 500 ft. Only a couple of players had done it up to that time, all left handed batters. Mantle was the first right handed batter to do it several years later in the 1960 WS.
    Apologies if this is a bit off topic, but speaking of the Duke and long distances---didn't he once hurt his arm, on a wager that he could throw a baseball out of the Coliseum?
    Let's Go Mets!
    New York Mets fan since 1962

I believe I saw this home run, but the one I saw was in 1957. My mother took me to see the Pirates play the Dodgers for my 11th birthday. I was 11 in late July, but we went to a Sunday doubleheader a week or 2 later. Even though I was from Western PA I was a Dodgers fan and The Duke was my hero.

Duke hit an enormous homer in the first inning of game 1 off of Ronnie Kline. It went over the 436 sign, just to the right of dead-center. I'd guess it travelled about 500 feet on the fly. I was dumbfounded, as were all the fans in attendance. I remember that there was almost no sound coming from the stands when he hit it- everyone was watching with dropped jaws.

The other thing I remember is that the Pirates won both games. Mazeroski hit a bloop into short center in the 10th or 11th inning that Snider couldn't get to to end the first game. THe Dodgers lost both games and realistically lost their shot at the pennant, even though there were nearly 2 months left in the season.

Where things get a little confusing for me is that I also remember Snider hitting an enormous homer in Forbes Field in 1956, as you mentioned. I wasn't at this game. I think, but am not sure, that this was during Dale Long's 8 game/8 homer streak. I think this may also have gone over the436 mark, so it's possible that Snider did it twice.

I believe, but am not sure, that Stan Musial was the first to hit a ball out of Forbes Field at this point.

Duke Snider's blast in 57 was the first homer I ever saw live, and may still be longest I've ever seen, with the possible exception of a Willie Stargell line drive over the 457 mark in 1967 or 1968.
    Last edited by BigRon; 10-15-2010 at 01:46 PM.

I remember reading about one Duke hit in 1953 at the Polo Grounds off Gomez, a grad slam that went well into the top deck where the stands bend at the I think 440 mark.

BigRon, it looks like that doubleheader took place on 8/12/57. Unfortunately, the available newspaper accounts do not describe the Snider blast.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+pirates&hl=en

It doesn't appear to me that anyone can challenge the Duke's status as Brooklyn's premier long home run hitter. I defer to those who saw them to describe a typical Furillo or Campy HR.
    Maybe there were some low-level sluggers who never broke through in the majors, though.

According to the article linked only Mantle, Snider, Long & Musial hit out over the 436 ft mark.

http://www.pittsburghpost-gazette.co...1093688-63.stm

According to the article linked only Mantle, Snider, Long & Musial hit out over the 436 ft mark.

http://www.pittsburghpost-gazette.co...1093688-63.stm
    see this thread for one more on June 9th, 1963
    http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...omeruns/page21

Babe Herman hit some long ones there.
    Brooklyn Daily Eagle Dec. 4, 1931
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elmer; 10-16-2010 at 12:30 PM.

I know we're focusing on BROOKLYN homers, but it's possible that the longest homer ever hit by a Dodger was hit in Forbes Field- and it wasn't by Duke Snider, even if his blast did go nearly/about 500 feet. In the early 60s- I can't remember which year- the Dodgers were playing the Pirates in (I think) a night game at Forbs. Frank Howard hit a titanic blast far, far over the scoreboard in left. I was listening to the game, and Bob Prince immediately announced it as probably the longest shot he'd ever seen.

By coincidence, Joe Tucker, who was then the Steelers' play by play announcer, was coming to the game and arrived late. HE was walking towards Forbes Field through a parklike area beyond left field. Howard's shot sailed out of the night and landed near him. Tucker picked the ball up and marked the spot where it landed. I think, but am not sure, that it was near the Honus Wagner statue- remember, this was nearly 50 years ago, so the details are a little foggy to me.

Anyway, Tucker hooked up with Prince or someone in P.R. and they determined that Howard's shot had gone, I believe, approximately 540 feet on the fly. In my opinion this has more credibility than Mantles "565 foot" shot in Washington, the distance of which was a fabrication by the Yankees' PR man.

Duke Snider 490 feet minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer View Post
    Duke Snider 490 feet minimum.
    Is that a gas station or is that still Young Motors? "Amidst parked cars" sounds like a car dealership just as much as a gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by JOVE23 View Post
    Is that a gas station or is that still Young Motors? "Amidst parked cars" sounds like a car dealership just as much as a gas station.
    Gas pumps watch fans chase home run ball. Flying horse on garage also observes.

Huh, I guess there was a car dealership next to a gas station. How convenient.

BigRon - I recently purchased a copy of Jason Aronoff's "Going, Going...Caught!" Came across interestring comments on page 218 from which I will quote: Pittsburgh Post -Gazette Jack Hernon

--------------------------------------------------------
    "The drive carried over the fence in center beyond the spot where Long hit his homer last Wedesday night, the ball moving some 500 feet."
    -------------------------------------------------------
    May 28, 1956
    Les Biderman of the Pittsburgh Press writes:

"Duke Snider's first inning monumental homer (off Bob Friend) that left the park between the Dreyfuss Memorial and the 436 foot sign on the right-center wall ...was a new distance marker for that sector..."
    Last edited by Bobcat; 03-18-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Interestingly, the longest (potential) shot I ever saw was also hit by a Dodger at Forbes Field. But, it wasn't in a game- it was in batting practice. The Pirates and Dodgers were playing at Forbes Field- I think it was 1967. Tommy Davis, who had broken his ankle a few years earlier and was never the same player, was up at the plate during batting practice. My friends and I were sitting in the lower deck out a little past first base. Davis, a righthanded batter, hit a towering smash to left- unbelievably, the ball hit near the top of the light tower to the right of the left field scoreboard. It looked to me like the ball was just reaching its peak when it hit the lights. Forbes was 365 down the line- the light tower was to the right of the large scoreboard. I'm guesstimating that the wall at the point was about 390 feet from home. The light towers were at least 100 feet high- maybe a bit higher. As I said, the ball hit near the top of the light rack. I don't know how far the ball would have gone if it hadn't hit anything, but I'm sure it would have been well over 500 feet.

Interestingly, neither of my buddies saw it- it was about an hour before the game, there was almost nobody in the stands, and it didn't seem to attract any attention- except from a few Dodgers on the field- and me. Most amazing shot I ever saw.

How about Joe Adcock's homer that sailed over the left field roof of Ebbets Field. My friend retrieved the ball. That
    was the only known home run to clear the left field roof and had to be the longest home run at Ebbets Field.