Thread: Orioles books

Orioles books

Not sure whether to post this in the Orioles thread or in baseball arts & literature, so I put it in both

I am interested in buying a good book on the Orioles. Has anyone read either of these two? Any feed back on preferences or recommendations would be appreciated.

* Baltimore Orioles: Four decades of magic from 33rd St to Camden Yards, by Ted Patterson

* From 33rd St to the Camden Yards: An oral history of the Baltimore Orioles, by John Eisenberg

Would also like to get a book on Camden Yards. Again, preferences or recommendations would be appreciated.

* Ballpark: Camden Yards & the building of an American dream, by Peter Richmond

* Home of the Game: The story of Camden Yards, by Thom Loverro

Cheers,

Aussie

If you can find a copy, a good collector's item for any Orioles fan is the team's 1974 Yearbook. In addition to the player profiles of the 1974 team, there was a special section that included profiles of every player who had been with the team in the franchise's first 20 years in Baltimore (1954-1973) and photos of all or nearly every player in franchise history up to that point. (Covering 21 years worth of players - It is a very thick book!)

The 1964 Orioles yearbook also is desired amjong collectors because it is oversized - maybe two times or more larger than standard 8 1/2 by 11 paper. That means that photos are extra large as well.
    Besides pOWELL, bARBER, eSTRADA and guys that were Orioles for a number of years that yearbook features three Hall Of Famers: Brooks Robinson, Luis Aparicio and the late Robin Roberts.

Of course the 1966 yearbook at the start of the Frank Robinson Era is highly prized also, since it covers the franchise's first World's Championship team.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 10-27-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    The Eisenberg book is a good read. Nothing on the last 8-9 years but then there's not a lot to miss.

You might also want to check out the Orioles Encyclopedia that came out last year.

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    If you can find a copy, a good collector's item for any Orioles fan is the team's 1974 Yearbook. In addition to the player profiles of the 1974 team, there was a special section that included profiles of every player who had been with the team in the franchise's first 20 years in Baltimore (1954-1973) and photos of all or nearly every player in franchise history up to that point. (Covering 21 years worth of players - It is a very thick book!)

The 1964 Orioles yearbook also is desired amjong collectors because it is oversized - maybe two times or more larger than standard 8 1/2 by 11 paper. That means that photos are extra large as well.
    Besides pOWELL, bARBER, eSTRADA and guys that were Orioles for a number of years that yearbook features three Hall Of Famers: Brooks Robinson, Luis Aparicio and the late Robin Roberts.

Of course the 1966 yearbook at the start of the Frank Robinson Era is highly prized also, since it covers the franchise's first World's Championship team.
    Funny you mention that, I had just won one off eBay!
    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

The John Eisenberg book is very good. He interviewed a large number of former Orioles players for an oral history of the team. It is broken down chronologically and goes through the major events of the team. There are some very good quotes and recollections by the players. A great read for an Orioles fan.

Black and Blue- Tom Adelman
    The Glory of the 1966 Orioles and Baltimore - Mark Millikin
    Pitching, Defense, and Three-Run Homers: The 1970 Baltimore Orioles (Memorable Teams in Baseball History)- Society for American Baseball Research

The Eisenberg book is the best of the bunch IMO. Very comprehensive and detailed. The Lovero book on Camden Yards is okay in some respects for a look at the Orioles of the 90s but it suffers from being pro-Angelos on everything regarding the dispute with Davey Johnson that led to Johnson's quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by marklaker View Post
    Pitching, Defense, and Three-Run Homers: The 1970 Baltimore Orioles (Memorable Teams in Baseball History)- Society for American Baseball Research
    I just read this one a few months ago. Nice 3-4 page biographies of the players and coaches and recaps of each month. Even though they beat my Reds in the '70 Series, I enjoyed this book.

If you liked the format, look for these as well:

The Team That Forever Changed Baseball and America: The 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers (Memorable Teams in Baseball History)

Drama and Pride in the Gateway City: The 1964 St. Louis Cardinals (Memorable Teams in Baseball History)

Bridging Two Dynasties: The 1947 New York Yankees (Memorable Teams in Baseball History)

The latter two won't be released until 1 April, but the first is available now via Amazon.