Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • savior
    • Nov 2010

This one might not be uncommon,but I found it freakish: My old HS gym teacher, Ed Mickelson, had three cups of coffee with three different teams, the second three years after the first, the third four years after the second. cardinals, 1950 [12 PA]; Browns, 1953 [17 PA - he also haad the last Browns rbi ever]; cubs, 1957, 12 PA. 3 hits total in 37 AB.

Comment

• ipitch
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
      I don't know if I'd rate it above the Musial stat you alluded to, but they both speak to the amazing consistency and sustained greatness of their respective careers..
      Sure he was great, but Musial's "feat" is just a coincidence, since he batted .336 at home and .326 on the road.

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
        A Gametime Decision
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
        Sure he was great, but Musial's "feat" is just a coincidence, since he batted .336 at home and .326 on the road.
        Of course it's a coincidence, but if batting .336 at home and .326 on the road over 22 years isn't amazing consistency and sustained greatness, I don't know what is.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• BigRon
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by savior View Post
          Not sure about this, but I think that Stan Musial and Ken Griffey, Jr., who were both born in Donora, PA, also share the same birth date [different years, obviously].
          That's right- November 21. Same date, same town, 49 years apart.

Comment

• ipitch
            • Sep 2007

Of course it's a coincidence, but if batting .336 at home and .326 on the road over 22 years isn't amazing consistency and sustained greatness, I don't know what is.
            Sustained greatness? Obviously.
            (I said that in my last post).

Amazingly consistent? - Not at all.

If you're impressed by Musial's 10 point difference, then you must worship Luis Gonzalez, right? He batted .283 at home and on the road. OMG!!!! I'm sure many other players have done the same.

Comment

• savior
              • Nov 2010

Coincidence

That's true. But many unusual stats or records are the result of coincidences, or at least of chance. You've apparently looked it up, and I haven't. But I'm guessing that over his 20+-year career, the difference between the number of hits he would have gotten at home and the number on the road, if he had the same number of at-bats both at home and on the road, would have been less than 100, in some - what? - 10,000 or so at-bats? Roughly the real difference between .336 and .326 [there's only a 1% difference, after all]. Pretty remarkable consistency, the mother of coincidence.

Comment

• ipitch
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by savior View Post
                That's true. But many unusual stats or records are the result of coincidences, or at least of chance. You've apparently looked it up, and I haven't. But I'm guessing that over his 20+-year career, the difference between the number of hits he would have gotten at home and the number on the road, if he had the same number of at-bats both at home and on the road, would have been less than 100, in some - what? - 10,000 or so at-bats? Roughly the real difference between .336 and .326 [there's only a 1% difference, after all]. Pretty remarkable consistency, the mother of coincidence.
                I checked home/road splits from Musial's era, and the reason I say he was wasn't amazingly consistent is because the league difference between home and road batting averages was approximately .010 (give or take a few points), and his difference was .010. So, his consistency was very ordinary. Like I said before, there are numerous players who were much more consistent when it comes to H/R BAs. Strong words like "amazing" and "remarkable" should be saved for those players, if they should be used at all.
                Last edited by ipitch; 11-07-2010, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                  A Gametime Decision
                  • Apr 2008

Sustained greatness? Obviously.
                  (I said that in my last post).

Amazingly consistent? - Not at all.

If you're impressed by Musial's 10 point difference, then you must worship Luis Gonzalez, right? He batted .283 at home and on the road. OMG!!!! I'm sure many other players have done the same.
                  I'm impressed by .336 at home and .326 on the road over 20+ years. I'm not as impressed by .283.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• ipitch
                    • Sep 2007

I'm impressed by .336 at home and .326 on the road over 20+ years. I'm not as impressed by .283.
                    You seem to be confusing consistency with greatness. Even if someone batted .201 at home and .199 on the road, their consistency would still be better than Musial's.

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                      A Gametime Decision
                      • Apr 2008

I don't feel confused. A 1% variance between home/road BA's is consistent enough for me, especially over that long of a career. If you prefer Luis Gonzalez's superior consistency, fine. I'm not confusing greatness and consisterncy, I'm looking at the combination of the two that is evident in Stan Musial's career.

Comment

• ipitch
                        • Sep 2007

If you prefer Luis Gonzalez's superior consistency, fine.
                        Um, it's a fact that he was more consistent! It's not even debatable.

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                          A Gametime Decision
                          • Apr 2008

Um, it's a fact that he was more consistent! It's not even debatable.
                          I wasn't debating it.

Comment

• savior
                            • Nov 2010

Remarkable AND amazing

I checked home/road splits from Musial's era, and the reason I say he was wasn't amazingly consistent is because the league difference between home and road batting averages was approximately .010 (give or take a few points), and his difference was .010. So, his consistency was very ordinary. Like I said before, there are numerous players who were much more consistent when it comes to H/R BAs. Strong words like "amazing" and "remarkable" should be saved for those players, if they should be used at all.
                            Well, I'll use the words I choose to use to express my opinion, not yours - and that's all your posts amount to, your opinion. I think your position is silly. So what if the league difference between home and road BA is .01 [we can dispense with the extra zero, can't we?]. Musial did it at a 32-33% level, not .283 or whatever. Instead of just SAYING so, how about citing twenty players who have or had been as consistent at such a high level of BA for as long a period of time, showing their BA's home and away and their home/road differential.

By the way, WHEN was the league differential .01 ["approximately"]? And which "points" are you giving and which are you taking?

Comment

• savior
                              • Nov 2010

Jeez-----!

What most of us on htis thread are talking about is consistent greatness.

Who gives a holy chaw about a player who is consistently BAD???

---Or about consistent nitpicking?

Comment

• savior
                                • Nov 2010

What's a fact is that you have just got to have your own way, no matter how twisted, and are completely intolerant of those who see the forest as WELL as the trees.

Debate it all you want. It won't change the truth of it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X