Thread: Jays Decline Options on Gregg

Jays Decline Options on Gregg

The Blue Jays have declined options on right-hander Kevin Gregg, making him a free agent, according to a team press release. Toronto held options of $4.5MM for 2011 or $8.75MM across the next two years. The reliever will instead receive a buyout of $750K.

In his first year north of the border, Gregg turned in a 3.51 ERA with 8.8 K/9 and 4.6 BB/9. MLBTR learned last week that the 32-year-old will be a Type B free agent. Jordan Bastian of MLB.com tweets that the Blue Jays will likely offer him arbitration in order to land a compensatory draft pick if he declines and goes elsewhere.
    I was convinced that the Jays would pick up one of the 2 options. Downs and Frasor are probably leaving (though Frasor might accept arbitration) and we could use another veteran presence down there. He had a better year than I think most people would've ever predicted (despite all the walks and scary 9th innings). And with Downs and Frasor potentially leaving, after Gregg, we have nobody with "closer" experience (though I personally don't think that matters much...but still).

I would rather have the compensatory picks than any of Downs, Gregg or Frasor. But you're right, the Jays will need some help in the pen. I read on MLB Trade Rumors that the Padres are willing to deal Heath Bell and Adrian Gonzalez. I'd like the Jays to look into that.
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com