Thread: Passing of a Legend: Dave Niehaus

Passing of a Legend: Dave Niehaus

This is a very sad day for Mariner's fans and baseball as a whole as we say goodbye to legendary broadcaster, the voice of the Mariners, Dave Niehaus. He was 75 years old.

According to the Seattle Times, the cause of death is not known but the Mariners are expected to make a statement soon.
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 11-10-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Extremely sad about this. Can't even put it into words.

Niehaus was a Hall of Fame inductee with the Ford C. Frick Award in 2008. He was the announcer for the M's from their opening day way back in 1977 and stayed with them all the way through until his passing today.

I'll be honest here, I got a little choked up when I first heard of his passing.

Games won't be the same... He was a great man. Grew up listening to his broadcasts.

RIP Dave.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

I'm still stunned. Very sobering to read of such a loss. A tragic loss for baseball broadcasting.

According to the MLB.com article, he died of a heart attack: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

RIP Dave Niehaus

Rest In Peace

Dave Niehaus

The opportunity to hear broadcasters like Niehaus was a big reason I chose XM over Sirius. I'm glad the HOF saw fit to honor him while he could enjoy it.

RIP.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    The opportunity to hear broadcasters like Niehaus was a big reason I chose XM over Sirius. I'm glad the HOF saw fit to honor him while he could enjoy it.

RIP.
    That's a huge reason why I want to do mlb.tv next year. Maybe I can hear some Vin Scully or some others from the old school. I have no idea how anyone can ever replace Niehaus in this day and age. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

He had been there from the start and only missed about 100 games. I'll never forget his tears of joy when Safeco opened. It's too bad we couldn't win the whole thing with him calling it.

They are playing game 5 of the 1995 Division Series right now - getting to hear Niehaus during his prime is just priceless!

My Oh My!