Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sandy Alderson Thread

The Sandy Alderson Thread

It's time, well past time. We need a change in leadership.

Source: Mets pick Terry Collins
    http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=5835780

I just think is a horrible mistake by a franchise prone to poor decisions. Terry Collins has never had the respect of modern-day players, he's prickly with the press, and this will resonate as a crucial - and terrible - point in franchise history. They'll actually achieve less under Collins than Jerry.

Sandy Alderson just got caught lookin' - his very own Beltran moment.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Oh god...Not Collins.

From his days working in the Dodgers farm system in the 1980s, Collins has a long-standing relationship with Sandy Koufax, who is buddies with Wilpon. When Koufax visited Mets camp in Port St. Lucie last spring, the Hall-of-Fame lefty said he was there to visit Collins, not Wilpon. Anyone who has been around the Mets knows the reverence with which Wilpon holds Koufax and how much Koufax’s word means to the Mets owner.
    Fire Sandy Alderson!
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this thread. I don't mean Collins being hired, I mean Strawman wanting Alderson fired.

As long as it wasn't Backman, I didn't really care much.
    Last edited by NYMets523; 11-21-2010 at 02:32 PM.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

As a manager, fired by both the Angels and Astros, his high-strung, tightly-wrapped persona quickly wore thin with his players. Said one longtime Astros operative: "We had a fairly young team (when Collins was the manager) that you would think would be easily impressionable early on. But that wasn't the case. They just never could relate to him." It was the same in Anaheim with the Angels where, after two second-place finishes in '97 and '98, Collins found himself constantly bickering with his players (who petitioned the GM, Bill Bavasi, to fire him), and then had a meltdown at the end of the '99 season when he tearfully resigned, admitting he'd lost the team.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz15xUkCkcp
    Fire Sandy Alderson - it's time for a change!

i'm going to assume you're kidding and slowley walk away
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    i'm going to assume you're kidding and slowley walk away
    No, it's a horribly poor choice - it's the Ollie Perez contract of managerial choices. Fewer living Americans would have made a poorer fit for the Mets. Keeping Jerry would have been better. From all I've read, this guy is a great talant evaluator and has some organizational skills - but players despise him. Get ready for jaw-clenching press conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    No, it's a horribly poor choice - it's the Ollie Perez contract of managerial choices. Fewer living Americans would have made a poorer fit for the Mets. Keeping Jerry would have been better. From all I've read, this guy is a great talant evaluator and has some organizational skills - but players despise him. Get ready for jaw-clenching press conferences.
    So you really want to fire Alderson? Pretty dumb, man.

It's time, well past time. We need a change in leadership.

Source: Mets pick Terry Collins
    http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=5835780

I just think is a horrible mistake by a franchise prone to poor decisions. Terry Collins has never had the respect of modern-day players, he's prickly with the press, and this will resonate as a crucial - and terrible - point in franchise history. They'll actually achieve less under Collins than Jerry.

Sandy Alderson just got caught lookin' - his very own Beltran moment.
    If your serious - this is one of the worst posts ever, and thats going some.

Fire Alderson? My Lord. The thing most people fail to realize is that the managerial position doesnt have nearly the impact as given credit for - good or bad. When the Yanks hired Torre he was called "Clueless Joe" by the media. Fans were ready to jump off of the roof. Four World Series wins later he is "St. Joe".

I am going to trust Alderson's judgement, and not yours in this instance. I know you would make the better GM, but I gotta go with Alderson here.

Fire Alderson. What a joke.

We should give credit to Sandy Alderson in going outside the organization and hiring Phil Collins to manage the Mets. I like his songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    If your serious - this is one of the worst posts ever, and thats going some.

Fire Alderson? My Lord. The thing most people fail to realize is that the managerial position doesnt have nearly the impact as given credit for - good or bad. When the Yanks hired Torre he was called "Clueless Joe" by the media. Fans were ready to jump off of the roof. Four World Series wins later he is "St. Joe".

I am going to trust Alderson's judgement, and not yours in this instance. I know you would make the better GM, but I gotta go with Alderson here.

Fire Alderson. What a joke.
    Terry Collins ain't Joe Torre, pallie. Have the Mets players petitioned management to fire Collins yet?

"From what I've read"

Here are some the things "From what I've read"

1) Joe Torre will never win in NY
    2) The Yanks will never win with Arod on the team
    3) Landanian Tomlinson was washed up
    4) Citi Field will be a hitters park - I actually did read that, and the person who said it ironically was David Wright
    5) Wolf Boy has lived in the woods and eats bears
    6) The Patriot season was over when Bledsoe went down
    7) Carlos Delgado was finished in the first half of 2008
    8) No way the Phillies can lose
    9) The Yanks will give Jeter whatever he wants
    10) The 2010 Mets will compete
    11) The 2009 Mets will compete
    12) Elvis was spotted in the Great Mall
    13) Art Howe has the calming effect that this organization needs
    14) Art Howe's calm personality is exactly what this team no longer needs
    15) President Clinton did not have sexual relations with that woman
    16) Oh - is that considered sexual relations...ok then he did
    17) Omar Minaya will turn this thing around
    18) No need to worry about Osama Bin Laden
    19) Jerry Manual is the guy this team needs
    20) The Cowboys will be in Super Bowl this year

Its time to start filtering what you read. The Mets hired the best possible choice by far for the GM position. By far! If he chose Collins then so be it. We have been hearing Collins is going to be the guy for two weeks. I surprised that because you read that that you werent calling for Aldersons head two weeks ago while the ink was still wet on his GM contract.

Terry Collins ain't Joe Torre, pallie. Have the Mets players petitioned management to fire Collins yet?
    Based on the Mets players maybe Collins should petition to fire the players?

Joe Torre had a losing record if you compiled the Mets, Braves and Cards. Torre wasnt Torre until he had a great roster. So when the Yanks hired him ...Torre wasnt Torre.......pallie. Pallie? Twenty-three scodoo daddy-o.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 11-21-2010 at 03:39 PM.

So...his track record certainly doesn't look too impressive to me...

But then maybe he was the best pick of a bad lot? I'd have liked Wally, if not only just for SOME reminder of when times were good for the Mets...

But maybe Collins was a good pick, I dunno...Colins haters, why should I hate, and Collins boosters, why should I boost?

(And if you were serious about firing Alderson that might be the most ridiculous post I've yet read here...)

And...........my 49ers are going to lose today because they ALSO have a gutless coach and a stupid owner.................thank God my Ducks are doing alright in the NHL race.....so far.......
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Terry Collins......sounds like Dallas Green to me. Guess he'll be the bridge to the next manager they hire when they're ready to win in a few years.
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryField View Post
    Terry Collins......sounds like Dallas Green to me. Guess he'll be the bridge to the next manager they hire when they're ready to win in a few years.
    If the players play well they will win. If they dont they wont. Its really a simple game. The day I see a manager give up a homer, make an error, or strikeout is the day I will give the manager more credit or blame.

If the players play well they will win. If they dont they wont. Its really a simple game. The day I see a manager give up a homer, make an error, or strikeout is the day I will give the manager more credit or blame.
    Yeah, but there's a reason some managers are able to get the most out of players while others aren't. The Mets basically hired a guy that players hate to play for, and a guy whose teams that fired him went on to have playoff success with his successor. To me the Terry Collins is the fall guy. They don't want to hire a good manager right now cause any manager will lose with this group and get the skipper fired. Once the rebuilding is gaining momentum the media and fans will get sick of Collins, call for his head, the Mets will deliver it to us on a silver platter, and the next real hire will reap the benefits of the rebuild.

Or Terry Collins is the next Casey Stengal and the Mets go on to Dynastic glory.
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)

Yeah, but there's a reason some managers are able to get the most out of players while others aren't. The Mets basically hired a guy that players hate to play for, and a guy whose teams that fired him went on to have playoff success with his successor. To me the Terry Collins is the fall guy. They don't want to hire a good manager right now cause any manager will lose with this group and get the skipper fired. Once the rebuilding is gaining momentum the media and fans will get sick of Collins, call for his head, the Mets will deliver it to us on a silver platter, and the next real hire will reap the benefits of the rebuild.

Or Terry Collins is the next Casey Stengal and the Mets go on to Dynastic glory.
    I think they think they hired the best possible choice of the guys they interviewed. I am just glad it wasnt Backman because his trailer would take up too much space in the parking lot.

So he will get fired or manage a dynasty? Sounds like the possibilites everytime a manger,,,,any manager is hired.

I think they think they hired the best possible choice of the guys they interviewed. I am just glad it wasnt Backman because his trailer would take up too much space in the parking lot.

So he will get fired or manage a dynasty? Sounds like the possibilites everytime a manger,,,,any manager is hired.
    I'm glad they didn't hire Bob "Art Howe" Melvin. That's about as glass is half full as I can get with this hire. Met farmhands must be extatic with this hire, since all reports I've read is that many of them hated his guts.
    New York (N.L.)

Brooklyn (N.L.)

Wow, apparently in Japan Terry Collins quit during the 2008 season when the team was 21-28 and in 5th place. That team finished the 2008 season in second place.....
    New York (N.L.)

Brooklyn (N.L.)

I'm glad they didn't hire Bob "Art Howe" Melvin. That's about as glass is half full as I can get with this hire. Met farmhands must be extatic with this hire, since all reports I've read is that many of them hated his guts.

what reports have you read that the mets farmhands hate collins?????......ALL i've read is that Collins is absolutely FANTASTIC during his time dealing with our farm
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Wow, apparently in Japan Terry Collins quit during the 2008 season when the team was 21-28 and in 5th place. That team finished the 2008 season in second place.....
    Really? Is this where your going? You going to start a smear campaign? Didnt you get enough of this a month ago before election day?

Wally Backman was thrown out of a game then had a 20 minute tirade, and seemed more concerned where his next beer was coming from. The other two candidates once cheated on a math test in 4th grade. Whats your point? Collins is the manager....deal with it.

On one hand I am very disappointed Wally will not be managing the Mets right now, however, on the other hand I take great comfort in knowing he won't have to manage Mr no pulse Carlos Beltran and the rest of the dreck that is on the roster at the present time. Then after Collins goes 50-112 this season, Wally can take over next offseason with a brand new roster which is hopefully filled with lots of young promising players from our farm system.

Quote Originally Posted by majorleads View Post
    On one hand I am very disappointed Wally will not be managing the Mets right now, however, on the other hand I take great comfort in knowing he won't have to manage Mr no pulse Carlos Beltran and the rest of the dreck that is on the roster at the present time. Then after Collins goes 50-112 this season, Wally can take over next offseason with a brand new roster which is hopefully filled with lots of young promising players from our farm system.
    Correction. The Met players will be 50-112. Collins can only play the roster he has.

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast