Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1403

Thread: The Sandy Alderson Thread

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    423
    Wow, apparently in Japan Terry Collins quit during the 2008 season when the team was 21-28 and in 5th place. That team finished the 2008 season in second place.....
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

    Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

    New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryField View Post
    I'm glad they didn't hire Bob "Art Howe" Melvin. That's about as glass is half full as I can get with this hire. Met farmhands must be extatic with this hire, since all reports I've read is that many of them hated his guts.

    what reports have you read that the mets farmhands hate collins?????......ALL i've read is that Collins is absolutely FANTASTIC during his time dealing with our farm
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

    "Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,599
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryField View Post
    Wow, apparently in Japan Terry Collins quit during the 2008 season when the team was 21-28 and in 5th place. That team finished the 2008 season in second place.....
    Really? Is this where your going? You going to start a smear campaign? Didnt you get enough of this a month ago before election day?

    Wally Backman was thrown out of a game then had a 20 minute tirade, and seemed more concerned where his next beer was coming from. The other two candidates once cheated on a math test in 4th grade. Whats your point? Collins is the manager....deal with it.

  4. #24
    On one hand I am very disappointed Wally will not be managing the Mets right now, however, on the other hand I take great comfort in knowing he won't have to manage Mr no pulse Carlos Beltran and the rest of the dreck that is on the roster at the present time. Then after Collins goes 50-112 this season, Wally can take over next offseason with a brand new roster which is hopefully filled with lots of young promising players from our farm system.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,599
    Quote Originally Posted by majorleads View Post
    On one hand I am very disappointed Wally will not be managing the Mets right now, however, on the other hand I take great comfort in knowing he won't have to manage Mr no pulse Carlos Beltran and the rest of the dreck that is on the roster at the present time. Then after Collins goes 50-112 this season, Wally can take over next offseason with a brand new roster which is hopefully filled with lots of young promising players from our farm system.
    Correction. The Met players will be 50-112. Collins can only play the roster he has.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,478
    OK, Alderson made his choice on who will fill out line-ups cards and call for the hit and run. Now let's get working on the ones who will really determine winning and losing - the players.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    267
    This has been the best off-season in team history. If you're unhappy with Alderson and staff, you're just unhappy. Perhaps you'd like Omar back? Alderson hires Collins, I'm happy. Not because I am familiar with Collins, but because I'm familiar with Alderson. Sit back, shut up and enjoy the fact that we are no longer a laughingstock organization.
    Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 11-21-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
    "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,599
    Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    OK, Alderson made his choice on who will fill out line-ups cards and call for the hit and run. Now let's get working on the ones who will really determine winning and losing - the players.
    I'm starting to like you.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I'm starting to like you.
    Odd, I was just thinking the other day that I notice myself actually reading your posts again and agreeing with much of what you're writing.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    what reports have you read that the mets farmhands hate collins?????......ALL i've read is that Collins is absolutely FANTASTIC during his time dealing with our farm
    I think I read it in the daily news, that some thought he was too intense and moody....Who knows in the end.
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

    Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

    New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Really? Is this where your going? You going to start a smear campaign? Didnt you get enough of this a month ago before election day?

    Wally Backman was thrown out of a game then had a 20 minute tirade, and seemed more concerned where his next beer was coming from. The other two candidates once cheated on a math test in 4th grade. Whats your point? Collins is the manager....deal with it.
    You're right, I shouldn't start a smear campaign. I want the guy to succeed. It just worries me, that it seems this guy hasn't been successful and has left a bad taste with every team he's managed. I haven't heard that he's a great strategist, players seem to not like playing for the guy, and his best attributes are he's an intense guy, and the front office people he's worked for love him....and that he's good at overseeing an organizations farmclubs.
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

    Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

    New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    423
    Anybody ever notice that Davey Johnson was the last Mets manager that got fired by the Mets and went on to manage another MLB club?

    Buddy Harrelson
    Jeff Torborg
    Dallas Green
    Bobby Valentine
    Art Howe
    Willie Randolph
    Jerry Manuel - possibly the next victim

    Thats 20 years of manager careers coming to an end once the Mets touched em.

    Bobby V may break that streak eventually...
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

    Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

    New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryField View Post
    Anybody ever notice that Davey Johnson was the last Mets manager that got fired by the Mets and went on to manage another MLB club?

    Buddy Harrelson
    Jeff Torborg
    Dallas Green
    Bobby Valentine
    Art Howe
    Willie Randolph
    Jerry Manuel - possibly the next victim

    Thats 20 years of manager careers coming to an end once the Mets touched em.

    Bobby V may break that streak eventually...
    I know Jeff Torbog managed the Marlins so you're wrong there.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by majorleads View Post
    I know Jeff Torbog managed the Marlins so you're wrong there.
    He did! ur right about that.....you got me there. Shoot, I thought I had a great trivia question on my hands.

    So it's been 18 years since a fired Met manager got another managing gig in MLB. Still pretty impressive.
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

    Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

    New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

  15. #35
    I for one have no knowledge whatsoever of Tom Collins, but I will reserve my judgement until I see him, hear what he has to say, and see his style of managing.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,599
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryField View Post
    He did! ur right about that.....you got me there. Shoot, I thought I had a great trivia question on my hands.

    So it's been 18 years since a fired Met manager got another managing gig in MLB. Still pretty impressive.
    That is pretty impressive. Although Bobby V will manage again, but thats still 5 out of 7 that never did. "The Mets -- where managers go to die".

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,599
    Quote Originally Posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    I for one have no knowledge whatsoever of Tom Collins, but I will reserve my judgement until I see him, hear what he has to say, and see his style of managing.
    If the players play well and win Collins is good..if they dont than he isnt. Thats just the way it goes. Baseball managers have the least amount to do with the outcome of a game as opposed to other sports. When I see a horse riding a jockey I will think differently.

    In my opinion Jim Leyland has been one of the best managers in baseball for a really long time, and he has one WS win. The same could be said for Mike Scioscia. Is anyone going to tell me that Joe Torre is nearly as good as these guys despite having 4 WS wins? If either one was the Yankee manager they easily win the same four and win in 2004 as well which Torre made a complete abortion of. He should have been fired after 2004 in my opinion. He was horrendous against the Sox. As little as a baseball manager can affect a game Torre did in a negative manor enough to cost them the series. My point is its all about timing. Torre was in the right place at the right time.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryField View Post
    Terry Collins......sounds like Dallas Green to me. Guess he'll be the bridge to the next manager they hire when they're ready to win in a few years.
    Bingo - exactly right. An aging, pissed off, media-unfriendly fake disciplinarian without even the single success Dallas Green once had. What a disaster.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
    This has been the best off-season in team history. If you're unhappy with Alderson and staff, you're just unhappy. Perhaps you'd like Omar back? Alderson hires Collins, I'm happy. Not because I am familiar with Collins, but because I'm familiar with Alderson. Sit back, shut up and enjoy the fact that we are no longer a laughingstock organization.
    No, I'm entirely realistic. And yes, based on this decision alone - he's made zero player moves of note - Alderson's not as good as Minaya. Omar would have pressed the Bobby V. button and quickly (or gone for Backman, who will emerge as one of the best manager for somebody else), and the Mets would be competitive next year even with very limited starting pitching. What we've got now is a guy players hate to play for.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    It's time, well past time. We need a change in leadership.

    Source: Mets pick Terry Collins
    http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=5835780

    I just think is a horrible mistake by a franchise prone to poor decisions. Terry Collins has never had the respect of modern-day players, he's prickly with the press, and this will resonate as a crucial - and terrible - point in franchise history. They'll actually achieve less under Collins than Jerry.

    Sandy Alderson just got caught lookin' - his very own Beltran moment.
    If you think the manager can effect the win/loss total of a team, there is nothing I can do to help you. You are hopeless.
    Just call me a sports fan.

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •