Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 1118

Thread: The Sandy Alderson Thread

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Really? I'm serious. I cant tell if your joking or serious about Jeter. Being that you wanted to fire Alderson jokingly -- I cant tell. I think Mets fans would throw themselves in front of the 7 train by the thousands if Jeter ever moved across town.
    I disagree - I think they'd love it. It's fantasyland of course, but Francesa was pushing it yesterday all afternoon....
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    I disagree - I think they'd love it. It's fantasyland of course, but Francesa was pushing it yesterday all afternoon....
    Well it cant happen and personally I dont want it. Obviously it would have nothing to do with Jeter being a Yankee. Reyes is the much better player right now, and where would Jeter go? Second base? Also Jeter would only lock up cash that another player couldnt get.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,495
    Why would or should the Mets tie up that much cash in an aging player. It would be a complete mistake.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,879
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Well it cant happen and personally I dont want it. Obviously it would have nothing to do with Jeter being a Yankee. Reyes is the much better player right now, and where would Jeter go? Second base? Also Jeter would only lock up cash that another player couldnt get.
    It would be pretty comical if they did and Reyes "A-Rodded" Jeter and made him play LF. Of course I have a better chance of winning the lottery and I don't buy tickets.

  5. #105
    the fact that Francesa was pushing for the idea should be a clue to everyone that it's a bad one, considering Francesa is a moron who knows very little about baseball.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

    "Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    the fact that Francesa was pushing for the idea should be a clue to everyone that it's a bad one, considering Francesa is a moron who knows very little about baseball.
    Well, he's not a Mets fan let's put it that way - but he's also not stupid. His point was about the Mets needing to selling tickets, and Jeter might well help. Reyes - not that this will ever happen - could go back to 2B. (BTW, Reyes is my favorite Met - never want to see him leave).
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Well, he's not a Mets fan let's put it that way - but he's also not stupid. His point was about the Mets needing to selling tickets, and Jeter might well help. Reyes - not that this will ever happen - could go back to 2B. (BTW, Reyes is my favorite Met - never want to see him leave).
    I agree on Francessa. Although this may not be saying much he is far and away more knowledgeable than any of the others on that station. Now I think he is arrogant and comes off as a know it all (Which he doesnt), but a lot of the stuff he says is made to create interest and phone calls. He is no way a Met or a Jet fan and will needle them at every opportunity he gets. On the other hand the Mets need to sell tickets so his point is well taken although Jeter is not the answer. There is no answer for 2011 on the field. The Mets made several excellent moves at the top and that will take some time to see on the field. I am sure we will read on the board in the very near future from the posters how this team has a shot if this happens, and if that happens but this team is not there yet. I think for now we need to be happy, really happy about our front office.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,879
    Blog Entries
    4
    Who would come out to Citi Field just because Jeter is on the Mets????

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,380
    Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Who would come out to Citi Field just because Jeter is on the Mets????
    Cmon, Jeter without a doubt carries some draw with him. If he switched teams the draw would be pretty big just on name power alone. Not necessarily ability wise anymore. The draw may be temporary but it would be there for sure early on.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,879
    Blog Entries
    4
    Why NYC people have seen him on TV and interleague games for years, its not Willie Mays coming from the Giants. Maybe the one poster here who says he will tune out the Yankees but I don't see it. Especially with such a strong Yankophobic part of the fanbase.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,380
    Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Why NYC people have seen him on TV and interleague games for years, its not Willie Mays coming from the Giants. Maybe the one poster here who says he will tune out the Yankees but I don't see it. Especially with such a strong Yankophobic part of the fanbase.
    I just think it would be a big splash early on. People have seen him for 15 years true, but in a Yankee uniform. Imagine him crossing over to Flushing. It would really be a story beyond sports, a big one. Then he hits .270 again and no biggib, but early on it would have a big impact.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,879
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I just think it would be a big splash early on. People have seen him for 15 years true, but in a Yankee uniform. Imagine him crossing over to Flushing. It would really be a story beyond sports, a big one. Then he hits .270 again and no biggib, but early on it would have a big impact.
    If you put it that way, I see your point. I wonder if the playing hard all the time, running out grounders, not vapor locking stuff would rub off.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    If you put it that way, I see your point. I wonder if the playing hard all the time, running out grounders, not vapor locking stuff would rub off.


    i assure you....Tom Seaver has a better chance of playing for the mets in 2011 then Derek Jeter does.......and for the record, i've seen Jeter not run hard on some ground balls and vapor lock on certain plays.....just like any other player, great or not.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

    "Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,380
    Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    i assure you....Tom Seaver has a better chance of playing for the mets in 2011 then Derek Jeter does.......and for the record, i've seen Jeter not run hard on some ground balls and vapor lock on certain plays.....just like any other player, great or not.
    I agree no way the Yanks dont sign him and even if they didnt no way the Mets do. Jeter has made mistakes on the field, and has been overrated by fans, and the media. With that said he has been a really good player for a long time. He plays the game the right way. I wish the left side of the Met infield had his approach.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    423
    Jeter signing with the Mets would be a disaster...Remember when the Mets were making a play for Jorge Posada a few years back. The Yanks got him back, and they haven't regretted it, but imagine if Posada was a Met. His last few seasons would have been considered a disaster on the Mets and we would be adding his name to the contractual albatross that is Castillo/Ollie/Beltran. I don't need to see Jeter put up half the numbers with the Mets that he would with the Yanks, plus you just know once he dons the Mets script across his chest he's gonna tear a hamstring and be a continous injury problem. Thanks, but no thanks.
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

    Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

    New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryField View Post
    Jeter signing with the Mets would be a disaster...Remember when the Mets were making a play for Jorge Posada a few years back. The Yanks got him back, and they haven't regretted it, but imagine if Posada was a Met. His last few seasons would have been considered a disaster on the Mets and we would be adding his name to the contractual albatross that is Castillo/Ollie/Beltran. I don't need to see Jeter put up half the numbers with the Mets that he would with the Yanks, plus you just know once he dons the Mets script across his chest he's gonna tear a hamstring and be a continous injury problem. Thanks, but no thanks.

    I cannot believe that Minaya offered a 36 year old catcher 5 years like he did with Posada.....in the NATIONAL LEAGUE!!!
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

    "Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,556
    He didn't offer 5 years. Posada would have taken that if he did.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

    "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    He didn't offer 5 years. Posada would have taken that if he did.

    could have sworn I read he did......maybe it was 4
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

    "Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,124
    Sandy Alderson knows what he is doing. As long as he doesn't start trading away the farm for Jason Middlebrook or Brian Moehler or some other over the hill/ never was/ former star, he'll do a good job. Anyway, we're Mets fans, how much worse can it get?

  20. #120
    The only reason Francessa and these people who call up pretending to be Mets fans say we should sign Jeter is because Yankees fans don't want him anymore. Yeah for one or two years maybe, but no way 3 more years of Derek Jeter's bad range at SS and a decline at the plate. Yankees fans cannot stomach that so thats why they want to dump him on the Mets now.

    Nice charitable folks these Yankees fans are.

  21. #121
    If Sandy Alderson thinks Jason Bay is near untouchable, it's clear he's been out of the baseball talent loop for way too long - he ought to be working to sign Jose Reyes.

    Mets GM Sandy Alderson said, while no player in considered ‘untouchable,’ he’s less likely to trade David Wright, Ike Davis and Jason Bay.
    http://www.metsblog.com/2010/11/26/t...e-reyes-rumor/
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,556
    He's not saying Bay is untouchable, just that he's less likely to be trade him. This is because is value is incredibly low.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

    "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles County
    Posts
    1,507
    A lot of talk here about Jeter, what if he signed with the Mets, should he...

    I'll say this much--my Ducks and 49ers, hokcey and football are sports I love...the Mets and baseball are part of my LIFE.

    More than a decade ago, now, I hated the Dodgers forever more after they traded Piazza TO the Mets.

    If Derek Jeter, Captain of the Yankees, who's a great guy but still captain of the team I've hated for as long as I've loved baseball, came to the Mets on the downside of his career AND displaced a player who I think highly of, is a sparkplug, young, and already an All-Star and the Mets' SB leader in Reyes...

    I might not hate the Mets adn give them up as my team, but I'm not sure I could bear to listen to or watch the Mets if I had to write Derek Jeter in at shortstop at the top of my scorecard each game, and knowing that he came from the Yankees, it'd just be the Mets getting the Yanks' leftovers, he doesn't ahve the talent he once had, he has one, two, three years if he's lucky left, AND we'd be losing, in return, a guy who came back from a bad injury the year before and played pretty well, whose .283 average would be a lot higher except...well, that first month back was BAD, but that's understandable after a guy hasn't played at the major league level in a year.

    It's not going to happen, I can't see the Mets being THAT stupid (which I know at this point sounds liek Charlie Brown saying he's SURE this is his year on the mound before the first pitch of the year smacks him on his tuchus, but with Alderson there and all I don't think even the METS can be THAT stupid), I can't see BOTH New York clubs acting stupidly and the Yanks letting him go (that'd be a PR DISASTER for them, letting one of the most iconic players on the most iconic team end his career somewhere else, it'd be like Mantle or Diaggio playing for another team at the end, or repeating the debacle of Babe Ruth in a Boston Braves uniform) and I can't see Jeter being so stupid as to leave the team and area he's BELOVED and the team that will surely retire his number as he sports their cap in Cooperstown.

    It WON'T happen, thank goodness.

    But just for the record, if it did, I might have to watch the Angels or something here, because while it'd take something like a Black Sox Scandal to make me even THINK of giving up the Orange and Blue, signing Jeter AND expelling Reyes because of such a short-sighted move might make me have to shun them for a year...wich is hard for me to even think of, really, I'm unhappy when I miss a single GAME of Mets baseball, I listen and watch old games in the offseason, play with an All-Time Mets team when I use my All-Time mod of MLB 08: The Show...

    But +JETER and -REYES because of it...OY...thank goodness none of the three parties are THAT stupid, let alone all three (I'm just going to keep saying that until Jeter safely resings and my dread subsides...all three, all three aren't that stupid...maybe the Mets might be, maybe the Wil--, no, the Wildpons are definitely that stupid, but Alderson's not that stupid, and the Yankees aren't an ALCS team because they're stupid, Jeter's not a millionaire and HOFer because he's stupid, so it'll be OK...it'll be OK...)
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    If Sandy Alderson thinks Jason Bay is near untouchable, it's clear he's been out of the baseball talent loop for way too long - he ought to be working to sign Jose Reyes.



    http://www.metsblog.com/2010/11/26/t...e-reyes-rumor/
    He is untouchable for the simple fact that there isnt another team that would even consider taking him. A 6 home run season topped off by a head injury......yeah I would say nobody is going to come calling.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea Knight View Post
    A lot of talk here about Jeter, what if he signed with the Mets, should he...

    I'll say this much--my Ducks and 49ers, hokcey and football are sports I love...the Mets and baseball are part of my LIFE.

    More than a decade ago, now, I hated the Dodgers forever more after they traded Piazza TO the Mets.

    If Derek Jeter, Captain of the Yankees, who's a great guy but still captain of the team I've hated for as long as I've loved baseball, came to the Mets on the downside of his career AND displaced a player who I think highly of, is a sparkplug, young, and already an All-Star and the Mets' SB leader in Reyes...

    I might not hate the Mets adn give them up as my team, but I'm not sure I could bear to listen to or watch the Mets if I had to write Derek Jeter in at shortstop at the top of my scorecard each game, and knowing that he came from the Yankees, it'd just be the Mets getting the Yanks' leftovers, he doesn't ahve the talent he once had, he has one, two, three years if he's lucky left, AND we'd be losing, in return, a guy who came back from a bad injury the year before and played pretty well, whose .283 average would be a lot higher except...well, that first month back was BAD, but that's understandable after a guy hasn't played at the major league level in a year.

    It's not going to happen, I can't see the Mets being THAT stupid (which I know at this point sounds liek Charlie Brown saying he's SURE this is his year on the mound before the first pitch of the year smacks him on his tuchus, but with Alderson there and all I don't think even the METS can be THAT stupid), I can't see BOTH New York clubs acting stupidly and the Yanks letting him go (that'd be a PR DISASTER for them, letting one of the most iconic players on the most iconic team end his career somewhere else, it'd be like Mantle or Diaggio playing for another team at the end, or repeating the debacle of Babe Ruth in a Boston Braves uniform) and I can't see Jeter being so stupid as to leave the team and area he's BELOVED and the team that will surely retire his number as he sports their cap in Cooperstown.

    It WON'T happen, thank goodness.

    But just for the record, if it did, I might have to watch the Angels or something here, because while it'd take something like a Black Sox Scandal to make me even THINK of giving up the Orange and Blue, signing Jeter AND expelling Reyes because of such a short-sighted move might make me have to shun them for a year...wich is hard for me to even think of, really, I'm unhappy when I miss a single GAME of Mets baseball, I listen and watch old games in the offseason, play with an All-Time Mets team when I use my All-Time mod of MLB 08: The Show...

    But +JETER and -REYES because of it...OY...thank goodness none of the three parties are THAT stupid, let alone all three (I'm just going to keep saying that until Jeter safely resings and my dread subsides...all three, all three aren't that stupid...maybe the Mets might be, maybe the Wil--, no, the Wildpons are definitely that stupid, but Alderson's not that stupid, and the Yankees aren't an ALCS team because they're stupid, Jeter's not a millionaire and HOFer because he's stupid, so it'll be OK...it'll be OK...)
    No way Jeter becomes a Met - we were just "iffing" it to death. The Yanks are playing hardball with him but I still dont see him on any other team because no team is going to even match the Yankee offer of 15 million a year, never mind 20-23 Jeter is asking for.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •