Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 1118

Thread: The Sandy Alderson Thread

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Well, since Omar is still under contract it may be time to bring him back after the crippling, depressing, and frankly incompetent performance of Sandy Alderson thus far. From hiring Collins to dangling Reyes as trade bait to allowing the bullpen to walk away to being active in zero important trade or free agent talks, this overly-hyped front office is overstayed its welcome.

    Sure Minaya got us Ollie Perez and Luis Castillo on bloated contracts (and sucked at handling the media), and signed Jason 'the bum' Bay - but he also landed Pedro, Beltran, Delgado and was brilliant at bringing in undervalued vets like R.A. Dickey, Endy Chavez, Jose Valentin, Marlon Anderson, Chris Woodward, Damion Easley, Darren Oliver, Chad Bradford, Pedro Feliciano and Angel Pagan (all this from Steve Popper in the Bergen Record).

    Look at the talent changing teams in MLB this year - and look at the tumbleweeds blowing around Citi Field.
    What are the big moves changing hands? Werth? - Werth would be near Werthless (notice the play on words there?) in that horrible park ala Jason Bay. From Citizens Bank to Citi is night and day. Yeah sure lets spend 126 million on him Did you want them to trade for Gonzalez. You would cry if they traded for him because then IKE is gone. Do you want that? Stop whining. Its getting the point where you cable company is going to stop your connection because your connection is being used as a weapon against intelligence.

    You were told by the adults that they werent going to sign anyone big this off-season, and 2011 will be a transition year. Your opting not to listen to the big smart people. Not good considering Santa is watching you. Now cut it out or their will be a lump of coal in your stocking.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 12-05-2010 at 04:42 PM.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    What are the big moves changing hands? Werth? - Werth would be near Werthless in that horrible park ala Jason Bay. From Citizens Bank to Citi is night and day. Yeah sure lets spend 126 million on him Did you want them to trade for Gonzalez. You would cry if they traded for him because then IKE is gone. Do you want that? Stop whining. Its getting the point where you cable company is going to stop your connection because your connection is being used as a weapon against intelligence.

    You were told by the adults that they werent going to sign anyone big this off-season, and 2011 will be a transition year. Your opting not to listen to the big smart people. Not good considering Santa is watching you. Now cut it out or their will be a lump of coal in your stocking.
    You're feeding him.

    Don't throw fuel into the fire.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
    You're feeding him.

    Don't throw fuel into the fire.
    I know your right, but just by the slim chance that he is serious about this...I feel the need to tell him of his stupidity.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,002
    Saw something amusing, Alderson on the Werth deal:

    "Makes some of our contracts look pretty good."

    "I thought they we're trying to reduce the deficit in Washington."

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,495
    Ignore feature works well. No quoting him please.

  6. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    Ignore feature works well. No quoting him please.
    Well quite seriously, Alderson seems to be a small market mentality guy. Are the Mets giving up on a full season? Should we be in the Cliff Lee sweepstakes, landing a true number one in a pitcher's park?
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Well quite seriously, Alderson seems to be a small market mentality guy. Are the Mets giving up on a full season? Should we be in the Cliff Lee sweepstakes, landing a true number one in a pitcher's park?
    Again, now listen this time. YES the Mets are done with 2011. They are not increasing payroll from the wasted 130 million per year. Do you understand? Comprende? Capish? No they should not throw 100 million at Cliff Lee.

    I am concerned that your not kidding and you really are just lacking.

  8. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Well quite seriously, Alderson seems to be a small market mentality guy. Are the Mets giving up on a full season? Should we be in the Cliff Lee sweepstakes, landing a true number one in a pitcher's park?

    The Wilpons........the ones that own the team and pay the bills.......are saying that they do not and will not be spending money this offseason. Whether you agree or disagree with their decision, it is what it is.

    So how exactly does the decision to not spend money make Alderson bad in your eyes?......please explain honestly.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

    "Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Well, since Omar is still under contract it may be time to bring him back after the crippling, depressing, and frankly incompetent performance of Sandy Alderson thus far. From hiring Collins to dangling Reyes as trade bait to allowing the bullpen to walk away to being active in zero important trade or free agent talks, this overly-hyped front office is overstayed its welcome.
    Alderson's only moves have been hiring front office people and Collins. The only people who hated the Collins hire are the ones who were whining about Backman even though his comments after show he isn't ready to be a major league manager. The only reason fans even want him is out of '86 nostalgia that the organization is sometimes stupid enough to buy into as well.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

    "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

  10. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    The Wilpons........the ones that own the team and pay the bills.......are saying that they do not and will not be spending money this offseason. Whether you agree or disagree with their decision, it is what it is.
    Sign point to the possibility of the Wilpons being sued over Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/sp...html?src=twrhp

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    Alderson's only moves have been hiring front office people and Collins. The only people who hated the Collins hire are the ones who were whining about Backman even though his comments after show he isn't ready to be a major league manager. The only reason fans even want him is out of '86 nostalgia that the organization is sometimes stupid enough to buy into as well.
    I havent seen any post Collins comments from Backman. What were they? Your 100% right about fans wanting Backman because of 1986.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,900
    Blog Entries
    4
    Wally Backman says he can't believe Mets didn't choose him as next ...

    Boy do I hope the link works if not you get the point.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,126
    Hopefully the dimensions will change. Jayson Werth for 7 years and 136 million? Makes Carlos Beltran look a lot better. At least Beltran doesn't
    strike out as much, and he hits .300. He can steal too, if his knee is healthy enough. One thing though.. please drop the switch-hitting act. You can't hit from both sides that effectively. Nor can Reyes. Reyes can really hit home runs lefty.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I havent seen any post Collins comments from Backman. What were they? Your 100% right about fans wanting Backman because of 1986.
    This is the article. I just think he came off as whiney and bitter.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...s+%28Sports%29
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

    "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    This is the article. I just think he came off as whiney and bitter.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...s+%28Sports%29
    The main thing I would dispute with what Backman said is that "managing is managing it doesnt matter if its the majors or the minors". Is he kidding? Other than that I didnt have much of a problem with what he said. He will manage one day, I just dont think now was the time for it to be with the Mets.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,556
    Don't forget about him saying playing in New York is enough to manage in it. That certainly worked out well for Willie...
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

    "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    Don't forget about him saying playing in New York is enough to manage in it. That certainly worked out well for Willie...
    True one has nothing to do with the other. On Willie..I think he got a real unfair shake here. Was he great? No, but I think he was made the scapegoat for the failure of the franchise. My biggest problem with Willie was that he didnt put his foot on Reyes' throat when Reyes pulled his dancing crap. I will not forget anytime soon Reyes & Milledge on the day before the last day of the season in 2007. Other than that I dont blame either collapse on Willie. The players stopped playing, the pitchers stopped pitching. We have all seen good teams collapse and just not play well. All the yelling in world from the manager doesnt change that.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,556
    I definitely give Willie blame for the 2007 collapse. He let the team become complacent. Don't you remember him saying "This will only make the champagne taste sweeter" when they were in a horrible stretch? When a manager says that, something is very wrong. I don't want to get into an argument on 2007 though. It's over with and barely any personnel from that season are still here.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

    "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    I definitely give Willie blame for the 2007 collapse. He let the team become complacent. Don't you remember him saying "This will only make the champagne taste sweeter" when they were in a horrible stretch? When a manager says that, something is very wrong. I don't want to get into an argument on 2007 though. It's over with and barely any personnel from that season are still here.
    No argument and I understand what your saying. He wasnt the best manager for sure. I just choose to blame the players for losing.

  20. #170
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,002
    The Mets and DJ Carrasco are coming close to a two year deal.

    Happy, Strawman? There's your reliever and there will probably more coming.

  21. #171
    Well not much to write about ole Sandy Alderson outside of his vest-wearing for 2010 - except he seems to want to save money and corner the market in back-up shortstops in case he can find a deal for a beloved Mets all-star named Jose Reyes. What a fantastic new regime.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Well not much to write about ole Sandy Alderson outside of his vest-wearing for 2010 - except he seems to want to save money and corner the market in back-up shortstops in case he can find a deal for a beloved Mets all-star named Jose Reyes. What a fantastic new regime.
    Hello Mr. Troll. You're back.

  23. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Well not much to write about ole Sandy Alderson outside of his vest-wearing for 2010 - except he seems to want to save money and corner the market in back-up shortstops in case he can find a deal for a beloved Mets all-star named Jose Reyes. What a fantastic new regime.


    I normally refrain from saying stuff like this on this forum but you really are COMPLETELY clueless as to anything going on right now. THE OWNER DOES NOT WANT TO SPEND.......this has NOTHING to do with Alderson......He has said ON RECORD that once our bad contracts come off the books, we WILL spend in the free agent market big time...but right now we cant. We will ALSO build through the farm system and finally build an organization top to bottom that's cohesive and produces quality players at a good rate, both to play for us and for trade chips.

    Am I saying it wrong?
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

    "Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Well not much to write about ole Sandy Alderson outside of his vest-wearing for 2010 - except he seems to want to save money and corner the market in back-up shortstops in case he can find a deal for a beloved Mets all-star named Jose Reyes. What a fantastic new regime.
    My IQ drops everytime I read one of your posts.

  25. #175
    So you guys approve of the job so far?

    Maybe in the minority, but it's a disaster to date - I thought perhaps the new crew would come in and make some intelligent decisions. Instead, they seem to STILL be in evaluation mode. Will that continue through the entire '11 season?
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •