• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYMets523
    Retired User
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    Actually you are way off base Pauly....Spartacus' gladiatorial days was before Caesar was emperor! lol
    Caesar never was an emperor.

Back on topic, I don't care for Klapisch's article. Why does it matter if they took a long time to decide? Why is it bad that they interviewed a lot of candidates?
    Last edited by NYMets523; 11-22-2010, 12:57 PM.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

• theAmazingMet
      There IS a "we" in team
      • May 2005

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post

Back on topic, I don't care for Klapisch's article. Why does it matter if they took a long time to decide? Why is it bad that they interviewed a lot of candidates?
      Perhaps, but he laid the groundwork for the Empire by Octavius, and he was dictator in perpetuity, which is about the same thing, only with a weakened senate. As far as Klapisch, your right. Who cares what he thinks.
      unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
      unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
      unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

• Paulypal
        $300MM of Dumpster Diving
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post

Klapisch like many other media people just love kicking up dirt. The more dirt that gets kicked up the easier their job gets. The more controversey the better for them. Thats why you really have to take with a grain of salt what these "people" say. They have an ulterior motive in a lot of cases. Klapisch is trying to get the Met fan that wanted Backman to say "see this guy was the wrong choice". Actually its why STRAWMAN copied and pasted the article....because he wanted everyone to go "wow maybe Alderson is wrong". Not happening.

Something else to consider here that Strawman didnt think of. Wouldnt have Wally Backman been the easy choice? I mean think about it. Alderson and the Wilpons choose Wally. WOW. The fans love it. Alderson endears himself to the Met fans immediately. The Wilpons seemingly have turned a corner with their last 3-4 hires. That would have been so easy. Obviously Wally didnt just have to lose the job....Wally had to lose big. According to the the the article that Klapisch wrote Wally thought he was in. This must have been in between 6 packs and flipping a table or two. The fact that Wally didnt get the job and barely got a 2nd interview really should tell you something.

Lets not forget the original post reads "Fire Sandy Alderson"....there isnt a enough alcohol in NY to make even Klapisch get that ridiculous. What I am looking forward to is Strawmans daily rants about Collins for losing ball games with this "less than" roster come April. I cant wait to read "he brings in (fill in pitcher name), and he gives up a homer, why didnt he bring in (fill in pitcher name). That is going to be a joy. I am actually working on some responses for just such occassions.
        Last edited by Paulypal; 11-22-2010, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Paulypal
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
          Perhaps, but he laid the groundwork for the Empire by Octavius.
          This has got to be wrong also. Octavius was the arch enemy of Spiderman. He was a scientist and had 8 arms/legs. 4 being mechanical. Cmon even I know that. Keep up with the rest of us AmazingMet.

Comment

• Strawman
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            Klapisch like many other media people just love kicking up dirt. The more dirt that gets kicked up the easier their job gets. The more controversey the better for them. Thats why you really have to take with a grain of salt what these "people" say. They have an ulterior motive in a lot of cases. Klapisch is trying to get the Met fan that wanted Backman to say "see this guy was the wrong choice". Actually its why STRAWMAN copied and pasted the article....because he wanted everyone to go "wow maybe Alderson is wrong". Not happening.

Something else to consider here that Strawman didnt think of. Wouldnt have Wally Backman been the easy choice? I mean think about it. Alderson and the Wilpons choose Wally. WOW. The fans love it. Alderson endears himself to the Met fans immediately. The Wilpons seemingly have turned a corner with their last 3-4 hires. That would have been so easy. Obviously Wally didnt just have to lose the job....Wally had to lose big. According to the the the article that Klapisch wrote Wally thought he was in. This must have been in between 6 packs and flipping a table or two. The fact that Wally didnt get the job and barely got a 2nd interview really should tell you something.

Lets not forget the original post reads "Fire Sandy Alderson"....there isnt a enough alcohol in NY to make even Klapisch get that ridiculous. What I am looking forward to is Strawmans daily rants about Collins for losing ball games with this "less than" roster come April. I cant wait to read "he brings in (fill in pitcher name), and he gives up a homer, why didnt he bring in (fill in pitcher name). That is going to be a joy. I am actually working on some responses for just such occassions.
            What's with all the drinking references - you should mention the Collins DWI if you're going down that path.

And man, can't you enjoy a little satire - "Fire Sandy Alderson" is clearly satiric, though based in anger at his pathetic flubbing of his first major decision (which was actually Fred's).
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Paulypal
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
              What's with all the drinking references - you should mention the Collins DWI if you're going down that path.

And man, can't you enjoy a little satire - "Fire Sandy Alderson" is clearly satiric, though based in anger at his pathetic flubbing of his first major decision (which was actually Fred's).
              I remember an interview with Backman and he mentioned beer a couple of times. So being that I think he is trash anyway..now he became drunken trash. I could be wrong, and honestly if he was named manager I wouldnt like it, but we need to trust Alderson.

Comment

• Strawman
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                I remember an interview with Backman and he mentioned beer a couple of times. So being that I think he is trash anyway..now he became drunken trash. I could be wrong, and honestly if he was named manager I wouldnt like it, but we need to trust Alderson.
                What's with the trash reference - no human being is trash. I'm from modest background and live in a small trailer myself. Seems like a class-oriented attack on a fine former Met.
                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Paulypal
                  • Jul 2007

What's with the trash reference - no human being is trash. I'm from modest background and live in a small trailer myself. Seems like a class-oriented attack on a fine former Met.
                  I am not judging the trailer, and Backman probably isnt trash, but make no mistakes....some human beings are just that....trash.

Comment

• Paulypal
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                    Correct you are, Paulypal.
                    Axide, being "trash" isn't what stopped Wally from getting the job... being the trashiest applicant, stopped him. That the man making the decision [Alderson], led the "Bash Brothers" era in Oakland, and is in line to be the next cmmisioner, forces us to redefine "trash."
                    Maybe Alderson handed out the syringes?

Comment

• Paulypal
                      • Jul 2007

Might have. :-)
                      Ralph what do you think about the new front office moves? You havent been on here in a bit.

Comment

• majorleads
                        • Apr 2008

Yeah I don't understand Pauly's hatred for Wally. I also don't understand how Darryl Strawberry can be his favorite player. Seems like he contradicts himself there. But then maybe he prefers ghetto over redneck? :ooo:

Anyway, Strawman I wouldn't worry about Collins getting the job now because i can see Wally getting the job at AA and working with our youngsters. With the sad state of our major league club, it will only be a matter of time before Collins is run out of town by the impatient 15 year olds who seem to have the Wilpons ear. It's probably going to be at least 3-4 years anyway before we hopefully start to see some talent emerge from our system that Sandy and his crew drafted/signed. No sense in wasting Wally by having him managing this present crop of underachievers only to see him get fired after 2 years. I'd rather Wally start fresh when we have a strong foundation of home grown talent.

And no high priced free agents in the next 2 years unless his name is Albert Pujols.

Comment

• PVNICK
                          • Jul 2007

To be honest ... I didn't see the "love" for Backman as being much more than "he was on the 86 Mets, his uniform got dirty, we need that" type of thing. The A list guys are either eliminated (Bobby V) or under contract (Leyland, Schowalter, Scioscia)... so this is what we get to choose from.

Comment

• Paulypal
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by majorleads View Post
                            Yeah I don't understand Pauly's hatred for Wally. I also don't understand how Darryl Strawberry can be his favorite player. Seems like he contradicts himself there. But then maybe he prefers ghetto over redneck? :ooo:
                            I dont hate Wally Backman at all. He comes off a little "trashy" to me. Thats just my thing. I just dont want him managing this team at this point in his career. Strawberry is my favorite Met player. That doesnt mean I want him managing the team.

I also have no clue of all the Met fans love affair with him. I dont get that at all. If someone can explain to me why Backman was a "must have" in many Met fans eyes I would appreciate it. We just hired three top notch pro's in the executive positions. Why would we go with a minor league manager?

Look obviously Backman will manage this team one day, and when that day comes I hope he wins, but right now I dont feel he was the right guy for the job.

Honestly the only guy I wanted was Bobby V. Everyone after that was a big disappointment to me.

Comment

• Paulypal
                              • Jul 2007

Three guys with GM experiance and successful history woiking together. All we need is My ol' buddies Grady Fusan and Tony DeFranchesco to complete an All-Star Front Office.
                              That said, ownership meddling [Wilpon's kid] can skunk the ship... Collins is a plus. Things to get better really fast, if baseball people are left alone
                              That's what I think, Pauypal. You?
                              I think the front office moves were good....great actually. The best moves the team has made in a long time. Now Fred needs to buy Jeff a train set for Christmas and keep him occupied with something other than the Mets.

I thought the managing choices were a little thin. I wanted Bobby V but that was a pipe dream. I dont think Collins is going to be held in high regard. The Backman backers are looking to hang him already. Lets face it the 2011 Mets are not going to be very good...I am not sure Collins survives. He is not going to be allowed to go through the garbage year (s) in order to get to the pennant years so to speak. Several of Collins' competitors for the managing job are still with the organization which is not a good sign for Collins. The vultures are always circling.

Comment

• Paulypal
                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                                To be honest ... I didn't see the "love" for Backman as being much more than "he was on the 86 Mets, his uniform got dirty, we need that" type of thing. The A list guys are either eliminated (Bobby V) or under contract (Leyland, Schowalter, Scioscia)... so this is what we get to choose from.
                                I agree with this 100%. Great post.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X