Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sandy Alderson Thread

It's time for Alderson to go. He's pulling out every stop to deflect focus from what is clearly his plan to let Jose Reyes, a top 5 all-time Met homegrown star, simply walk away in his prime - a player who had a better WAR in 2011 than Albert Freaking Pujols. New blue walls, a smaller field, new 1B coach, Joe Nathan! Blech. This is just more Wilpon malarkey. I'm tired of it.

Well dig this Sandy, no tickets for me.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

You forgot to mention that this was Pujols' worst WAR of his career and Reyes' second best (by 0.2). Comparing the two is just foolish. Pujols is the best player of this generation.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    You forgot to mention that this was Pujols' worst WAR of his career and Reyes' second best (by 0.2). Comparing the two is just foolish. Pujols is the best player of this generation.
    But he's not a better available free agent...not disputing his 'greatness' status at all. He'll be 32 this year and can expected to decline a little bit.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    But he's not a better available free agent...not disputing his 'greatness' status at all. He'll be 32 this year and can expected to decline a little bit.
    Just some more silliness

His decline will still be better than Reyes' peak.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

His decline will still be better than Reyes' peak.
    Well it wasn't this year! Maybe next....

If you really think Reyes is better than Pujols and will be the next few years, there's no helping you.

If you really think Reyes is better than Pujols and will be the next few years, there's no helping you.
    I guess not. But if I'm building a team I'd rather sign a 28-year-old Reyes to play SS at 100M less than a 32-year-old Pujols to play 1B. Just me. I'm sure he'll still get his dingers, but I'm willing to bet he's not the late-20s Pujols. In any case, the point is this: M. Donald Alderson is clearly setting the stage to let Reyes go, whilst the Savvy Cardinals will try and retain their best player (as the Yankees are with their best player, right now).

Say, Strawman, just who do you suppose would do a better job under the circumstances? Alderson isn't the disease here, he's the treatment that's masking the symptoms and trying to keep the pain and swelling down.

Strawman I must admit I have never seen a fan exaggerate, overrate, and any other term you want to use the way you do with Reyes. If someone didnt know better and just read your posts they would think you were talking about Babe Ruth.

Reyes is a very good player with a very high risk...... Your over rating him is on the border of off the charts fantasy land.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Strawman I must admit I have never seen a fan exaggerate, overrate, and any other term you want to use the way you do with Reyes. If someone didnt know better and just read your posts they would think you were talking about Babe Ruth.

Reyes is a very good player with a very high risk...... Your over rating him is on the border of off the charts fantasy land.
    Pauly, have you ever looked at Reyes' career? Yeah, he's not a bopper like Pujols but is in on a HoF trajectory. His 162-game average is:

201 hits
    12 Hr
    34 2b
    15 3b
    65 RBI
    113 runs
    57 sb

He's got an excellent chance at 3,000 hits - if he stays mainly healthy, which I realize is the big if. And he's a fantastic defensive player. The Mets have developed only one everyday position player who was better in their 50-year history - Darryl Strawberry, who flamed out. Jose has actually lived up to his billing. His 2006-08 stretch was phenomenal.

Pauly, have you ever looked at Reyes' career? Yeah, he's not a bopper like Pujols but is in on a HoF trajectory. His 162-game average is:

201 hits
    12 Hr
    34 2b
    15 3b
    65 RBI
    113 runs
    57 sb

He's got an excellent chance at 3,000 hits - if he stays mainly healthy, which I realize is the big if. And he's a fantastic defensive player. The Mets have developed only one everyday position player who was better in their 50-year history - Darryl Strawberry, who flamed out. Jose has actually lived up to his billing. His 2006-08 stretch was phenomenal.
    Strawman....its not all the way left or all the way right. I said he is a good player...I will even say an excellent player (when healthy). Saying he is the best everyday player in their 50 year history that they developed doesnt really say much does it? In 50 years they have not developed a HOF everyday player. If Strawberry is the best they can come up with in 50 years its not saying much, and I am/was a huge Straw fan (Darryl...NOT you..LOL)

I am not sure he will get near 3000. He needs 1700 more hits and with his injury history and his speed decreasing as he gets older its a long shot.

Yes his 2006-2008 were off the charts. We are now three seasons removed from that so can we expect that to be the case going forward.

I want him here but not at the expense of overpaying and not signing any other needs.

I guess not. But if I'm building a team I'd rather sign a 28-year-old Reyes to play SS at 100M less than a 32-year-old Pujols to play 1B. Just me. I'm sure he'll still get his dingers, but I'm willing to bet he's not the late-20s Pujols. In any case, the point is this: M. Donald Alderson is clearly setting the stage to let Reyes go, whilst the Savvy Cardinals will try and retain their best player (as the Yankees are with their best player, right now).
    I'm not too sure where you keep getting this info from. Freeing up salary space equates to letting Reyes go? If anything, he's trying to create room for Reyes. I kut think it's just complete bias now, Strawman - not your complete Reyes fanboy-ism.

I was listening to Francessa yesterday and he thinks that its going to take 6 years 120 million to get Reyes. Not that Francessa knows but if thats the price tag......I pass. Its not my money so its no skin off my apple, but if they invest that much in Reyes with the current state of the teams finances they are not going to get what they really need....pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I was listening to Francessa yesterday and he thinks that its going to take 6 years 120 million to get Reyes. Not that Francessa knows but if thats the price tag......I pass. Its not my money so its no skin off my apple, but if they invest that much in Reyes with the current state of the teams finances they are not going to get what they really need....pitching.
    Francesa will say whatever is most likely to make Mets fan want to slash his wrists - he can't stand the Mets or their fans, been that way for 20 years.

Francesa will say whatever is most likely to make Mets fan want to slash his wrists - he can't stand the Mets or their fans, been that way for 20 years.
    True, but I think Reyes may get that.

Gotta go with you on that one. The guy is completely biased against the Mets

It's time for Alderson to go. He's pulling out every stop to deflect focus from what is clearly his plan to let Jose Reyes, a top 5 all-time Met homegrown star, simply walk away in his prime - a player who had a better WAR in 2011 than Albert Freaking Pujols. New blue walls, a smaller field, new 1B coach, Joe Nathan! Blech. This is just more Wilpon malarkey. I'm tired of it.

Well dig this Sandy, no tickets for me.
    I'm not saying he will or will not sign Jose, or even make a real run for him but waiting to see how the market develops is a real negotiating tactic.

All Reyes' agent will do with the first bid is shop it to any other team that has even a modicum of interest. Then use it to up the price for the next round.

Only the Yankees bid high from the start to try to scare off the competition.

I'm going to wait and see what happens before I decide if I am happy or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ribant View Post
    I'm going to wait and see what happens before I decide if I am happy or not.
    Yeah, and besides, I'm sure that if Sandy had his way, he'd make deals for a 2012 winner. But whatever he does is dictated to him by his boss and however much money they're willing to give him. So, Strawman, please, keep in mind, nothing negative Alderson does (or doesn't do) this offseason is his fault. He can't be blamed for having both hands tied behind his back and one eye forcibly closed.
    Put it in the books.

This piece from Joel Sherman basically discounts the argument that Alderson can't sign Reyes because of dollar limitations - and makes clear that allowing Jose to walk is basically his baseball strategy:

As a Mets official told me this week after the familiar mantra of we want him at our price, “I think he will be blown away by someone else.”

Another Mets official said, “My instinct is no shot. I think if [GM] Sandy [Alderson] asked for it, ownership would follow his recommendations. But where the money is going to go it is not going to be the best way to spend the money, not on one player and not one player with this hamstring thing.”
    This is sickening. Sandy Alderson is indeed executing on a pathetic middle market strategy. Ticket sales will sink below 2M. The Mets will be playing for 4th place until we're all too old to care. Wright is obviously next. Yet there are those who still "believe" in Sandy. Unleash the unicorns.

This piece from Joel Sherman basically discounts the argument that Alderson can't sign Reyes because of dollar limitations - and makes clear that allowing Jose to walk is basically his baseball strategy:

This is sickening. Sandy Alderson is indeed executing on a pathetic middle market strategy. Ticket sales will sink below 2M. The Mets will be playing for 4th place until we're all too old to care. Wright is obviously next. Yet there are those who still "believe" in Sandy. Unleash the unicorns.

dear god man you actually read the NY Post AND take it seriously???????????

Come on.....
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

I agree on "the hamstring thing" for one thing. Also this source...un-named of course THINKS they would listen. I think not...and I am named.

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post

Come on.....
    Strawman will not stop until they link Alderson to Al Qaeda, the Nazi's, the Crypts, and the Bloods. Its beyond ridiculous and now is just really amusing. Its equivlant to Dustin Hoffman HATING KMart in Rain Main. There was no real reason but what the heck.

Sherman is a blowhard. His articles are mostly false and uninformative.

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post

Come on.....
    So, do you actually read the NY Daily News and take it seriously. One is just as bad as the other, and their circulation shows. 600K for the News? 512K for the Post? There was a time the news sold 2.4 million daily and 4.7 million on Sunday. Now it is only good for paper training the dog....and so is the Post.

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast