X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • majorleads
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Please please please dont ever tell me I am very wrong....you should just nod your head in agreement when reading my posts. This way you avoid any further emarassment. This is just one quote from one of the links:

Dick Balderson, the Colorado Rockies’ Vice President of Player Personnel, said

"Instead of signing four (American) guys at $25,000 each, you sign 20 Dominican guys for $5,000 each. The unfortunate thing about this game is that there are so many people yearning to play it especially in a country like the Dominican Republic, where $1,000-a-year wages are the norm and baseball is a religion practiced by the impoverished."

http://www.vdare.com/guzzardi/050618_baseball.htm

I don't like where baseball is heading. That second article was eye opening to what happens to the thousands of Dominican ballplayers who do not make it.

And I'd rather sign the 4 US born players than the 20 Dominicans.

Comment

• HeNasen
      • Nov 2010

How about just trying to sign the players you think will be the most successful regardless of where they're from?

Comment

• Paulypal
        Met Fan Re-Set 2020
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by HeNasen View Post
        How about just trying to sign the players you think will be the most successful regardless of where they're from?
        That would normally be the plan but a bigger emphasis has been put on talent Latin talent for the above mentioned reasons.

Comment

• Strawman
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
          That would normally be the plan but a bigger emphasis has been put on talent Latin talent for the above mentioned reasons.
          I'm all for the Mets looking for more, not less, "Latin talent."
          Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• majorleads
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by HeNasen View Post
            how about you read the second article that Paul posted?

And part of why some fans boo is because they can't relate to these players anymore. In the future I do not want to watch 25 players from the Dominican Republic play against 25 players from the Dominican Republic.

Comment

• m8644
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by majorleads View Post
              how about you read the second article that Paul posted?

And part of why some fans boo is because they can't relate to these players anymore. In the future I do not want to watch 25 players from the Dominican Republic play against 25 players from the Dominican Republic.
              if they make your team better why the hell not?????????....I couldn't care less if 25 reptiles play for the mets, if they're good players who help the team win then why does it matter???

It's truly a SAD and pathetic reflection on society and the human race if part of the reason why some fans boo is because the players aren't as "white" as they used to be.
              "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

• majorleads
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
                if they make your team better why the hell not?????????....I couldn't care less if 25 reptiles play for the mets, if they're good players who help the team win then why does it matter???

It's truly a SAD and pathetic reflection on society and the human race if part of the reason why some fans boo is because the players aren't as "white" as they used to be.
                Why do they have to be "white?" They could be black, or they could be someone like Pujols who went to high school and college here in the US.

Sorry but I don't want 25 foreigners playing for the Mets who can't even speak English.

It's a poor reflection on the Dominican Republic where the only chance their younger generation has in life is to play baseball. Then it becomes OUR problem when these players don't make it, stay here illegally and can't even read or write. Did you read that article???

Comment

• m8644
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by majorleads View Post
                  Why do they have to be "white?" They could be black, or they could be someone like Pujols who went to high school and college here in the US.

Sorry but I don't want 25 foreigners playing for the Mets who can't even speak English.

It's a poor reflection on the Dominican Republic where the only chance their younger generation has in life is to play baseball. Then it becomes OUR problem when these players don't make it, stay here illegally and can't even read or write. Did you read that article???

So what is your idea then?....Each team can only have a certain number of foreign born players??.....sorry that's flat out silly.

Good teams and organizations put a great deal of money into the draft AND international signings.....hopefully the mets will start to do just that in the next few years.
                  "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

• AJbaseball00024
                    Rozay.
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by m8644 View Post

I agree with you. I dont care what is the ethnicity of a player is. I just want to win.
                    Just call me a sports fan.

Comment

• pstein
                      Curmudgeon
                      • Sep 2010

I find it hilarious that the season hasn't started and we all want Sandy Alderson gone. I think we should wait for results before we call for his head. Does anyone remember why Kris Benson really got traded? Anna said that the Mets were only interested in Latin talent. I'm not saying that the Dominicans don't deserve to play baseball, but it would be nice if the MLB tried to set up camps for kids in the US, like they do in the Dominican Republic.

Comment

• m8644
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                        I find it hilarious that the season hasn't started and we all want Sandy Alderson gone. I think we should wait for results before we call for his head. Does anyone remember why Kris Benson really got traded? Anna said that the Mets were only interested in Latin talent. I'm not saying that the Dominicans don't deserve to play baseball, but it would be nice if the MLB tried to set up camps for kids in the US, like they do in the Dominican Republic.
                        with all due respect you really need to read the thread.....ONE person, who is either being completely sarcastic, or is very, very misinformed about baseball wants Alderson gone....the rest of the thread is a bunch of fans telling him how wrong he is.

Comment

• pstein
                          Curmudgeon
                          • Sep 2010

with all due respect you really need to read the thread.....ONE person, who is either being completely sarcastic, or is very, very misinformed about baseball wants Alderson gone....the rest of the thread is a bunch of fans telling him how wrong he is.
                          I probably should read the thread. Still, it's funny that one person thinks that we should fire someone when the season hasn't even started.

Comment

• m8644
                            • Oct 2007

I probably should read the thread. Still, it's funny that one person thinks that we should fire someone when the season hasn't even started.

funny and sad lol.

Comment

• Strawman
                              • Mar 2009

Anna Benson was (is?) an idiot. If the Mets have a decent team with 25 Dominicans, I'm cool with that. The quota talk and base anti-Hispanic talk from some fans is ridiculous (and truly, reached its low point in discussions of Omar Minaya's performance).
                              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• m8644
                                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                                Anna Benson was (is?) an idiot. If the Mets have a decent team with 25 Dominicans, I'm cool with that. The quota talk and base anti-Hispanic talk from some fans is ridiculous (and truly, reached its low point in discussions of Omar Minaya's performance).
                                something we can actually agree on

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X