Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sandy Alderson Thread

Quote Originally Posted by majorleads View Post
    Yeah I don't understand Pauly's hatred for Wally. I also don't understand how Darryl Strawberry can be his favorite player. Seems like he contradicts himself there. But then maybe he prefers ghetto over redneck?
    I dont hate Wally Backman at all. He comes off a little "trashy" to me. Thats just my thing. I just dont want him managing this team at this point in his career. Strawberry is my favorite Met player. That doesnt mean I want him managing the team.

I also have no clue of all the Met fans love affair with him. I dont get that at all. If someone can explain to me why Backman was a "must have" in many Met fans eyes I would appreciate it. We just hired three top notch pro's in the executive positions. Why would we go with a minor league manager?

Look obviously Backman will manage this team one day, and when that day comes I hope he wins, but right now I dont feel he was the right guy for the job.

Honestly the only guy I wanted was Bobby V. Everyone after that was a big disappointment to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Zig Tyko View Post
    Three guys with GM experiance and successful history woiking together. All we need is My ol' buddies Grady Fusan and Tony DeFranchesco to complete an All-Star Front Office.
    That said, ownership meddling [Wilpon's kid] can skunk the ship... Collins is a plus. Things to get better really fast, if baseball people are left alone
    That's what I think, Pauypal. You?
    I think the front office moves were good....great actually. The best moves the team has made in a long time. Now Fred needs to buy Jeff a train set for Christmas and keep him occupied with something other than the Mets.

I thought the managing choices were a little thin. I wanted Bobby V but that was a pipe dream. I dont think Collins is going to be held in high regard. The Backman backers are looking to hang him already. Lets face it the 2011 Mets are not going to be very good...I am not sure Collins survives. He is not going to be allowed to go through the garbage year (s) in order to get to the pennant years so to speak. Several of Collins' competitors for the managing job are still with the organization which is not a good sign for Collins. The vultures are always circling.

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    To be honest ... I didn't see the "love" for Backman as being much more than "he was on the 86 Mets, his uniform got dirty, we need that" type of thing. The A list guys are either eliminated (Bobby V) or under contract (Leyland, Schowalter, Scioscia)... so this is what we get to choose from.
    I agree with this 100%. Great post.

Really embarrasing as a Mets fan that a threat with this absurd title has been dignified with 4 pages of discussion.

Considering that Alderson just got hired and has virtually no track record with the Mets to base his performance on it goes to show how unreasonable/mindless some Met fans can be.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post
    Really embarrasing as a Mets fan that a threat with this absurd title has been dignified with 4 pages of discussion.

Considering that Alderson just got hired and has virtually no track record with the Mets to base his performance on it goes to show how unreasonable/mindless some Met fans can be.
    In defense of the original poster and the thread itself. The original poster was trying to be funny..although that failed I dont think he really wants Alderson fired. If he does then he is neither funny nor is he intelligent.

As far as the thread goes it took a few different directions.

On another note you did add to the "undignified" thread. So back at ya with the googly eyed little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I also have no clue of all the Met fans love affair with him. I dont get that at all. If someone can explain to me why Backman was a "must have" in many Met fans eyes I would appreciate it. We just hired three top notch pro's in the executive positions. Why would we go with a minor league manager?
    Because he was on the '86 team and professional sports is the only occupation where people will give someone a second chance. Just look at the NFL and how everyone is genuflecting to a criminal.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Blog Entries
    Wow...I find myself agreeing with pretty much everything Paulypal and Gr8beldini are saying...sign of the coming Apocalypse? Seriously, if anyone listened to Collins on the '99 Angels, he out and out says he screwed up, he took responsibility, and identified the problem. As for Wally Backman, here's the thing: yeah, he was gritty, intense, did anything to win, etc., but did anyone see his comments in the media about not getting the job, dissing Alderson? Does anyone else see that translating into problems with the media as well as management (and by management, I don't mean the Wilpons; I mean Alderson...)?
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    Because he was on the '86 team and professional sports is the only occupation where people will give someone a second chance. Just look at the NFL and how everyone is genuflecting to a criminal.
    Thats where I say most fans are ignorant. He was on the 86 team? So what? How does that qualify him as manager, and how does that make him a "must". I am not saying Wally is or isnt a good manager. I have no clue, but to hear Met fans talk about him like its his job to lose or he somehow he deserves it is absurd to me.

I agree with you. Its the 86 lineage - much more than the second chance. Backman is a familiar name and thats what fans want because they THINK they know something about him.

I actually heard on the radio this morning that Bowa may end up on the Met staff, and someone called in and said they didnt want him because he was a Philly. The ignorance of fans really has no end. Sometimes I hear fans talk and wonder how they fit all that stupid into one head.

Wally couldn't have been less qualified for the job. It would have been a knee-jerk hire to appease unhappy fans. Wilpon didn't need to pull that anymore. Instead of a token manager he gave us competent men to run the organization. Any real Met fan with an iota of intelligence would be completely satisfied that the nonsense is finally over. My choice to manage the Mets is the guy Sandy Alderson sees fit to hire. For God's sake, how can any Met fan be unhappy right now? Look at where we were a month ago!
    "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
    "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

Thats where I say most fans are ignorant. He was on the 86 team? So what? How does that qualify him as manager, and how does that make him a "must". I am not saying Wally is or isnt a good manager. I have no clue, but to hear Met fans talk about him like its his job to lose or he somehow he deserves it is absurd to me.

I agree with you. Its the 86 lineage - much more than the second chance. Backman is a familiar name and thats what fans want because they THINK they know something about him.

I actually heard on the radio this morning that Bowa may end up on the Met staff, and someone called in and said they didnt want him because he was a Philly. The ignorance of fans really has no end. Sometimes I hear fans talk and wonder how they fit all that stupid into one head.
    I agree 100%. And the idiots on WFAN love to play into the "hate the Phillies, hate the Braves, hate the Marlins,......someday hate the Nats". Personally, I may not like the teams in the division, but I don't "hate" . I prefer to focus on improving the Mets and rooting FOR the Mets. If the Mets somehow win 90 games in 2011, I will be thrilled. If that means the Braves or Phillies win 105 games, I will still be thrilled that the Mets win 90 games.

Sometimes the people on talk radio remind me of a person who looks at their own shabby house that needs painting, or their lawn needs mowing....but instead of doing those things, they waste their time wishing their neighbor's nicer looking home burned to the ground.

Or the baseball fan that focuses everything on hating the Yankees. When you focus on 'hating' a team that won 27 times, you end up being very miserable since your hating ain't working !

This is the best I have felt as a Mets fan since the fall of 2006 !!!

And I would not mind having ex-Mets player Larry Bowa on the staff. He is as high strung/intense as Jerry was low key...and we see how well that worked out.

OK, let me add my agreement with everything Pauly, Beldini and mandrake are saying here.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    I agree 100%. And the idiots on WFAN love to play into the "hate the Phillies, hate the Braves, hate the Marlins,......someday hate the Nats". Personally, I may not like the teams in the division, but I don't "hate" . I prefer to focus on improving the Mets and rooting FOR the Mets. If the Mets somehow win 90 games in 2011, I will be thrilled. If that means the Braves or Phillies win 105 games, I will still be thrilled that the Mets win 90 games.

Sometimes the people on talk radio remind me of a person who looks at their own shabby house that needs painting, or their lawn needs mowing....but instead of doing those things, they waste their time wishing their neighbor's nicer looking home burned to the ground.

Or the baseball fan that focuses everything on hating the Yankees. When you focus on 'hating' a team that won 27 times, you end up being very miserable since your hating ain't working !

This is the best I have felt as a Mets fan since the fall of 2006 !!!

And I would not mind having ex-Mets player Larry Bowa on the staff. He is as high strung/intense as Jerry was low key...and we see how well that worked out.
    Great post Mandrake!!

I feel the same exact way. When I hear Met fans say that they get a bigger charge of the Yankees losing a game than the Mets winning a game it makes me ill. That type of sour grapes attitude is had by losers. LOSERS. Which lets face it there are a lot of Mets fans that are just that. So use to being second fiddle in NY that they blame the team thats first fiddle instead of pointing blame at the real reason.

Then an idiot like Joe Benigno gets on the radio and this moron has the nerve to say that the Mets never should have had anything to do with any kind of honoring of Bobby Cox because his Braves beat the Mets every year. Can you imagine being that much of a loser? Cox provided the Mets with the greatest thing any athlete can ask for .... a great opponent. You need to go after the opponent hard and hope to knock them on their ass, but when its over.....its over. You shake their hands and respect that your opponent hopefully made you a better player/team. Complete idiots and losers like Benigno can never understand that. Like many Met fans whining is their favorite past time. How that moron has a job ..... a broadcasting job is beyond me.

This is the most confident I have felt in years that this team is going in the right direction. It wont happen in 2011 but in 2012 I am looking for big things.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 11-23-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Why do you care? Calling someone ignorant and stupid because they associate a person with a hated rival? A lot of Mets fans hate the Phillies and associate Bowa with them, so I can see why a fan would not want Bowa around. I hate the Yankees and would have been sick to my stomach if Joe Torre or any Yankee got an interview. Bowa I don't consider a Yankee so I would be cool with him joining the coaching staff.

Why do you care? Calling someone ignorant and stupid because they associate a person with a hated rival? A lot of Mets fans hate the Phillies and associate Bowa with them, so I can see why a fan would not want Bowa around. I hate the Yankees and would have been sick to my stomach if Joe Torre or any Yankee got an interview. Bowa I don't consider a Yankee so I would be cool with him joining the coaching staff.
    Hey great phone call today then on WFAN. I call them ignorant and stupid because thats what they are. Its not a secret. You would be sick to your stomach if any ex Yankee got an interview, and obviously you wouldnt want them as manager. Ok goody. What if they would make your team better? How would you feel if that manager was going to make the Mets better? Still no? When then let me tell you ....you are a great fan. Really you are.

Maybe because I dont carry this infantile hatred for other teams because they are good around with me that I dont understand that thinking. To me its stupid and ignorant. I may hate them so to speak while the game is being played and want to knock them on their ass. I really worry about my team being good. If my team is good, a team that shows heart, and the desire to win then I dont care how good the Phillies are or the Braves..I actually want them to be good so if/when we win its just that much better.

The "I hate you because your good" and you kick my ass attitude is had by losers. Rivalries are great and having intense games with another is what its all about. I want to see a game in September that means the division against the Phils.

Wonder if Alderson is calling Jeter's agent tonight?
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Hells no! We are trying to be fiscally responsible so that we can compete in 2 years and make some serious noise years thereafter. Signing a guy like Jeter would be 'old regime'. We don't need any more 70 million dollar band-aids. It would be akin to signing Tom Glavine away from our arch rivals for almost twice what they were offering.
    "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
    "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

More satire?

Assuming thats in response to my previous post. Nobody is saying taking end of their career players. The sad thing is most of the Yankee hating Met fans would probably protest if Alderson was about to get Cano. I know I know...no way do us Met fans want Cano either after all who needs any Yankees for our proud proud tradition over here in Flushing. Cano is only the best second basemen in baseball by several miles.

More satire?

Assuming thats in response to my previous post. Nobody is saying taking end of their career players. The sad thing is most of the Yankee hating Met fans would probably protest if Alderson was about to get Cano. I know I know...no way do us Met fans want Cano either after all who needs any Yankees for our proud proud tradition over here in Flushing. Cano is only the best second basemen in baseball by several miles.
    I think Sandy should sign Jeter to a 5 year, 100 million dollar contract.....it guarantees' us 5 years of the best intangible % in the national league. Gotta be worth something.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Hey great phone call today then on WFAN. I call them ignorant and stupid because thats what they are. Its not a secret. You would be sick to your stomach if any ex Yankee got an interview, and obviously you wouldnt want them as manager. Ok goody. What if they would make your team better? How would you feel if that manager was going to make the Mets better? Still no? When then let me tell you ....you are a great fan. Really you are.

Maybe because I dont carry this infantile hatred for other teams because they are good around with me that I dont understand that thinking. To me its stupid and ignorant. I may hate them so to speak while the game is being played and want to knock them on their ass. I really worry about my team being good. If my team is good, a team that shows heart, and the desire to win then I dont care how good the Phillies are or the Braves..I actually want them to be good so if/when we win its just that much better.

The "I hate you because your good" and you kick my ass attitude is had by losers. Rivalries are great and having intense games with another is what its all about. I want to see a game in September that means the division against the Phils.

Yes i would be sick to my stomach if any ex-Yankee got the job. We don't need their charity and sloppy seconds, let us forge our own path and be different. Don't give a sh*t if they could possibly make us better.......do not want any Yankees.

And if I'm an infant for hating and not wanting any Yankee playing for or coaching the Mets, then so be it. A lot of people feel the same way as I do. I would have been annoyed beyond belief if that clown Torre even got phone call from Alderson. Can't stand that jerk. Hated him the first time he was here, and now that he managed the Yankees and Cardinals, my hatred for Torre is off the charts.

Never said I had a problem with the Phillies or Braves. I actually like and respect both franchises and hope they're great every season. Makes our rivalry with them much better. But I hate the Yankees and Cardinals. hate hate hate But I would take Pujols and Molina. Just no Yankees.

Yes i would be sick to my stomach if any ex-Yankee got the job. We don't need their charity and sloppy seconds, let us forge our own path and be different. Don't give a sh*t if they could possibly make us better.......do not want any Yankees.

And if I'm an infant for hating and not wanting any Yankee playing for or coaching the Mets, then so be it. A lot of people feel the same way as I do. I would have been annoyed beyond belief if that clown Torre even got phone call from Alderson. Can't stand that jerk. Hated him the first time he was here, and now that he managed the Yankees and Cardinals, my hatred for Torre is off the charts.

Never said I had a problem with the Phillies or Braves. I actually like and respect both franchises and hope they're great every season. Makes our rivalry with them much better. But I hate the Yankees and Cardinals. hate hate hate But I would take Pujols and Molina. Just no Yankees.
    Technically the Yankees got sloppy seconds from the Mets with Torre, but yeah thats right...the Yankees actually gave Torre a team.

Believe me I am not big fan of Torre. I never thought he was a great manager and after he wrote the book he was useless in my opinion. With that said, maybe because I root for the Yankees but that animosity just isnt there.

I guess when you walk around feeling second rate in baseball terms that can happen.

Blog Entries

Well now I better understand the Randolph treatment by much of the fan base. Oh and I notice that the Yankees didn't mind taking on ex-Mets, in particular late '80s Mets, to get their "dynasty" jump staerted (Torre, Cone, Gooden, Strawberry). Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Well now I better understand the Randolph treatment by much of the fan base. Oh and I notice that the Yankees didn't mind taking on ex-Mets, in particular late '80s Mets, to get their "dynasty" jump staerted (Torre, Cone, Gooden, Strawberry). Just sayin'.
    In general I will say that most Yankee fans dont hate the Mets as much as Met fans hate the Yankees. I am not saying there are no Yankee fans that hate the Mets, but this is a very one sided rivalry. For the most part the Mets are not on the Yankees radar. They are too worried about winning the WS. They dont need to worry about any other team but theirs.

I remember when the Mets signed Randolph. All you heard was "he is a Yankee". If you hear Met fans talk about Randolph now without knowing you would think they were 70-92 every year under Randolph. The Mets winning % is .544 under Willie - 2nd only to Davey Johnson. Now I dont give much credit to managers for winning %. Davey was given a great roster with awesome pitching. Willie also had an excellent roster, but Willie did win.

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    I think Sandy should sign Jeter to a 5 year, 100 million dollar contract.....it guarantees' us 5 years of the best intangible % in the national league. Gotta be worth something.
    Yeah I agree - he'd be worth the dough and would change the vibe in Queens. As a fan who buys entertainment from the Mets, I don't really care about their fiscal sanity at all.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Yeah I agree - he'd be worth the dough and would change the vibe in Queens. As a fan who buys entertainment from the Mets, I don't really care about their fiscal sanity at all.
    Really? I'm serious. I cant tell if your joking or serious about Jeter. Being that you wanted to fire Alderson jokingly -- I cant tell. I think Mets fans would throw themselves in front of the 7 train by the thousands if Jeter ever moved across town.

Blog Entries
    In general I will say that most Yankee fans dont hate the Mets as much as Met fans hate the Yankees. I am not saying there are no Yankee fans that hate the Mets, but this is a very one sided rivalry. For the most part the Mets are not on the Yankees radar. They are too worried about winning the WS. They dont need to worry about any other team but theirs.
    Far too many of those Yankees fans are too busy pumping up their self-worth with the "27 rings" or 28 or whatever it is, as if that really makes up for the inadequate hand the gene pool dealt them. At any rate the Mets outdrew them pretty consistently until the late 90s or so .... so I think beneath many a Yankee fan is a repressed Met fan.

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast