Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Victor Martinez to the Tigers!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    51

    Victor Martinez to the Tigers!!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    1,352
    When I read the headline, I actually did a fist pump and let out a muffled "Yessssss!", and nobody else was in the house. We have another stellar Venezuelan to orbit the true MVP of the American League, and we also have a 300%+ quality improvement at catcher.
    smoker

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,346
    Blog Entries
    1
    As a Marlins fan, I wish we had an owner like yours.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    7402 miles from Fenway Park
    Posts
    1,559
    As a Red Sox fan, I'd be interested to know whether the majorty of tigers fans are really excited about paying 12.5 million a year to an excellent backup catcher but below average DH? Vmart is a great player and from all I can tell a well liked team mate that will be missed in Boston, but 12.5M over 4 years seems like a lot.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

    Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    As a Red Sox fan, I'd be interested to know whether the majorty of tigers fans are really excited about paying 12.5 million a year to an excellent backup catcher but below average DH? Vmart is a great player and from all I can tell a well liked team mate that will be missed in Boston, but 12.5M over 4 years seems like a lot.
    That is only a little more than what other teams were offering. I'm not thrilled with the price but it's an upgrade at the position, even if he'll only be platooning. He may be a backup catcher for Boston, but he's better than what the Tigers have had since the first couple years of Pudge Rodriguez. Catcher was the most glaring need the team had.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

  6. #6
    First off, I think the whole "below average DH" thing is crap. Who cares what other players at the position are doing? What is this player going to do for this team is the real question.

    The Tigers have had a horrible offense for the last 2 seasons. We would have won the division easily in 09 but we couldn't score. Last year, we had as many as 5 rookies in the lineup. It was horrible to watch.

    If you watched their lineup the last 2 years, you would know that 12 million for a guy hitting .300 from both sides of the plate with power is a bargain.

    Who cares about other players at the position. How does that effect the Tigers and the position they are in?

    A switch hitter, a career .300 hitter, 20 HR power, excellent leadership, great presence, what more are you going to get for 12 million?

    An embarrassing weak offensive team just replaced Gerald Laird and his .204 average with a career .300 hitter. That .300 hitter also can get at bats at catcher, 1st, and DH. He's a proven winner, proven hitter. Nothing wrong the money he got.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    7402 miles from Fenway Park
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    That is only a little more than what other teams were offering. I'm not thrilled with the price but it's an upgrade at the position, even if he'll only be platooning. He may be a backup catcher for Boston, but he's better than what the Tigers have had since the first couple years of Pudge Rodriguez. Catcher was the most glaring need the team had.
    But didn't the Tigers announce that they were going with Avila as their primary catcher and Victor their primary DH?
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

    Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    7402 miles from Fenway Park
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by DClutch View Post
    First off, I think the whole "below average DH" thing is crap. Who cares what other players at the position are doing? What is this player going to do for this team is the real question.

    The Tigers have had a horrible offense for the last 2 seasons. We would have won the division easily in 09 but we couldn't score. Last year, we had as many as 5 rookies in the lineup. It was horrible to watch.

    If you watched their lineup the last 2 years, you would know that 12 million for a guy hitting .300 from both sides of the plate with power is a bargain.

    Who cares about other players at the position. How does that effect the Tigers and the position they are in?

    A switch hitter, a career .300 hitter, 20 HR power, excellent leadership, great presence, what more are you going to get for 12 million?

    An embarrassing weak offensive team just replaced Gerald Laird and his .204 average with a career .300 hitter. That .300 hitter also can get at bats at catcher, 1st, and DH. He's a proven winner, proven hitter. Nothing wrong the money he got.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying Martinez isn't a great player and a quality guy, nor do I meant to imply that it was necessarily a bad signing for the Tigers. I was just a little surprised that they were willing to go that high on someone who is their primary DH and wondering how Tigers fans felt about it.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

    Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    But didn't the Tigers announce that they were going with Avila as their primary catcher and Victor their primary DH?
    I'll have to recheck what I've read.
    I like Martinez. But not as a full-time DH.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Standing in the shadows of Motown
    Posts
    2,004
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    As a Red Sox fan, I'd be interested to know whether the majorty of tigers fans are really excited about paying 12.5 million a year to an excellent backup catcher but below average DH? Vmart is a great player and from all I can tell a well liked team mate that will be missed in Boston, but 12.5M over 4 years seems like a lot.
    After the Werth signing do you still feel 12.5 is a lot?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    7402 miles from Fenway Park
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by tigers527 View Post
    After the Werth signing do you still feel 12.5 is a lot?
    No, I feel like I'm massively underpaid ;-) But seriously, I don't think one ridicoulous contract by a GM on drugs should be the benchmark to which you compare every contract. Hell, in comparison to Werth even the 2007 Garry Matthews contract looks like a bargain! Over in the Red Sox forum I agrued that I'd sign Vmart for 3/36 or 4/44 and that was assuming he would be the primary catcher for the next two years and the DH afterwards. So I was a bit surprised that the tigers signed him to 4/50 and then announced that Avila would be their starting catcher. Basically I'm wondering if I underestimate Martinez or if the Tigers overpayed a little to get the player they really wanted. But, as far as I am concerned, I'm happy for Victor, he's a good guy and it's not my money. I wish him the Best, especially when the tigers are playing the NYY ;-)
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

    Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    No, I feel like I'm massively underpaid ;-) But seriously, I don't think one ridicoulous contract by a GM on drugs should be the benchmark to which you compare every contract. Hell, in comparison to Werth even the 2007 Garry Matthews contract looks like a bargain! Over in the Red Sox forum I agrued that I'd sign Vmart for 3/36 or 4/44 and that was assuming he would be the primary catcher for the next two years and the DH afterwards. So I was a bit surprised that the tigers signed him to 4/50 and then announced that Avila would be their starting catcher. Basically I'm wondering if I underestimate Martinez or if the Tigers overpayed a little to get the player they really wanted. But, as far as I am concerned, I'm happy for Victor, he's a good guy and it's not my money. I wish him the Best, especially when the tigers are playing the NYY ;-)
    I am thinking the latter moreso than the former.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

  13. #13
    If Martinez can be the DH that Rusty Staub was for the Tigers, the money will be well worth it. Personally, I liked what I saw of young Avila behind the plate, and if he bats seventh or eighth, I wouldn't mind seeing him catch the majority of games. If we get Maggs back on board for another year with a team option for a second, we're all set.

    As one who knows the lingering long-term aftereffects of a broken ankle (mainly back), I'd be very hesitant to sign Maggs for more than a year. Witness to wit: Scott Sizemore last season.
    Last edited by moldyoldie; 12-09-2010 at 05:07 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Standing in the shadows of Motown
    Posts
    2,004
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    Over in the Red Sox forum I agrued that I'd sign Vmart for 3/36 or 4/44 and that was assuming he would be the primary catcher for the next two years and the DH afterwards. So I was a bit surprised that the tigers signed him to 4/50 and then announced that Avila would be their starting catcher.
    Not to get all Math with you, but you realize besides time, the difference between 3/36 and 4/50 is only 500K. And even if he is only the back up catcher, and most time DH that is still huge, as there will only be one other catcher in MLB that will get any significant PT at DH, and that's Mauer.

    So even with VMart as most time DH and back up C, you get a whole roster spot to do with as you please as you don't need to carry a DH and a second C separately, IMO V Mart does not have the defense to be everyday C, not to mention V Marts bat is much better over 150+ games than the 130ish a full time C gets. With that the roster flexibility V Mart offers he is more valuable than any other FA out there this season, except maybe Cliff Lee, IMO.
    Last edited by tigers527; 12-10-2010 at 05:48 PM.

  15. #15
    If Martinez starts a game at DH, he can't enter the field later in the game right? Most days he will DH and Avila will catch. What if Avila gets hurt? Do they carry another catcher? Or just tell Inge to prepare for the worst?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Standing in the shadows of Motown
    Posts
    2,004
    Blog Entries
    1
    DClutch: That or the pitcher spot bats when V Martinez takes the field in such a scenario

    I think Tony Phillips entered the field after starting the game as a DH back in the 90s and gave Frank Tanana his only AB as a Tiger that way.

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ananfr01.shtml

    Yup Detroit 1991 1AB, 1K for Frank Tanana.
    Last edited by tigers527; 12-13-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •